Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 01:05:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Politics!?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Politics!?  (Read 8827 times)
chelle12
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: August 04, 2006, 07:36:27 AM »

Hi,

I ran into this early interview of Axl in Donnington on YouTube about Iron Maiden and about their political stands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pKxUuZxHDE

Funny to see he wants to call his album Chinese Democracy? Smiley

Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 07:41:34 AM »

My take on the word "politics" in the context used there is that "politics" refers to the POV that the art expresses - Axl's objection to Iron Maiden being they are gimmicky and fantastical (ie, Number of the Beast) as opposed to the gritty realism of AFD which expressed a very factual reality of life on the streets.

Axl is not using "politics" in the sense of grand scale movements and stuff.

Also, I dont see why you are saying its interesting in the context of Chinese Democracy - far from saying that GNR are apolitical, I think he is saying in that interview that he doesnt respect Iron Maiden for precisely the reason that they had become removed from the world. GNR have almost always been about politics one way or another. Think about, someone writting stuff like "Civil War" ratting on another performer for being political?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:49:12 AM by Tomorrows » Logged
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 07:42:02 AM »

are we allowed to talk about politics people???

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:42:57 AM »

i remeber bruce once ripped axl for having to use auto cues for HIS lyrics  rofl

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
T_Roxie
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:45:22 AM »

"izzy were you gonna say something?"

"No"

rofl
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 07:51:23 AM »

Axl is right on this video. Music is one thing, politic is another thing. You can make some allusions sometimes, or write 1 so,ng or 2 about that (like Civil War- whereas it's not really "politic" anymay), but no more, it has to be limited, because building a whole musical career using politics is ridiculous. Plus, the fans don't care if their favourite singer or musician prefers Bush over kerry over kenedy over Clinton or democrates over replublicans whatever. This is pointless. Nobody cares. It's all about music, not politic.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:55:31 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 08:15:43 AM »

I think you need to look up more artists/bands than just Oasis and James Blunt....  Roll Eyes

Describing the world we live in is what most artists do. Sometimes it gets political.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 08:17:41 AM »

I think you need to look up more artists/bands than just Oasis and James Blunt....  Roll Eyes

Describing the world we live in is what most artists do. Sometimes it gets political.

/jarmo

Then why aren't we allowed to discuss said world in its entirety?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 08:52:11 AM by The Gunslinger » Logged
Origen
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 08:18:08 AM »

That video is over 18 years old, People do change their opinions in 18 years.
gueli
Headliner

Rock and Roll Dudes!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 08:21:40 AM »

i remeber bruce once ripped axl for having to use auto cues for HIS lyrics  rofl
Grin Bruce is the typical british arrogant bastard! i like him singing but when he talks he is a pure idiot, especially in his rants 

This melody inside of me still searches for solution...
liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »

I second that "nesquick". ?
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 08:27:57 AM »

"No"

rofl

that quote is great hihi
T_Roxie
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 08:33:06 AM »

"No"

rofl

that quote is great hihi

It's the way he doesn't even look up from his drink when he says it!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 09:54:14 AM »

So no one agree with Tommorrows on this one? I do. Is iron maiden a political band?

I don't know well about iron maiden other than that you can see 2 iron maidens at Madame Tussaud's. one is a medieval instrument of torture and the other is a former PM. (her nickname) 
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 10:13:44 AM »

Just to restate my opinion of what Axl is getting at:

Iron Maiden can be considered to be apolitical - they make songs about fantasy worlds and monsters and stuff.

GNR are political in the sense that their songs reveal much about the struggle of urban reality.

-------------

A grossly sweeping statement with heaps of holes, but well, I think thats what Axl is getting at.
chelle12
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 10:57:15 AM »

I guess back in the day's Maidens song "Run to the Hills" was about criticizing the politics of the conquistadors in the past, they have more songs like that.

While guns at that time was just about party and rock 'n' roll, Axl just wanted to be reckless, and have nothing to do with politics. Later, like Civil War, he matured as his world became bigger and he's views changed ?

btw "Tomorrows" your right at stating that Axl has a more raw/realistic approach addressing different topics in contrast to the nostalgic story telling approach of Maiden.

Whatever it's always fun to see such clips from the past when they were total Anarchy, Yay~
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 11:08:37 AM »

Then why aren't we allowed to discuss said world in its entirety?

Because certain people can't handle a civilized discussion about the subject and we don't want to be babysitting a few of you because of that.

It's been explained over and over again and yet you keep asking. Why is it that hard to understand?  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sucker punch
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 11:59:42 AM »

Axl once said that his fave band was U2 and he liked them but not iron maiden and ther is a difference between changin your views and being a hypacrite
SlashxDelonge1458
Banned
Headliner

Gunner Lies

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 06:17:24 PM »

Yea, that was pretty funny. Nice find  beer

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain
True Believer
Opening Act

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »

Muse (who are playing with GnR at inland invasion) have done a great job of sublty working politics into their music. ?

The first track "Take a Bow" on their new CD is clearly about George W. ?But they never use his name.
They have tracks about joining underground political movements, joining the struggle against the facists, and planning assasinations, but you don't really pick it up unless you're already thinking along those lines. ?And it's all buried in beautiful thrashing rock.

In this day and age i don't see how any self-respecting artist could avoid addressing the state of the world.

Politics help form the world around an artist. ?Real artists, and not poseurs, are usually sensitive people who are enraged and inspired by injustice, pain, and abuse, and they use their talents to try to wake up the masses and change the world. ? But you have to do it carefully, so you're not patronizing people are acting holier than thou. ? ? Civil War was amazing. ?Chinese Democracy might be the same. ?I'm hoping for some serious political songs on there. ?This aint 1987.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: