Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 04:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227930 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Why is most of the NBA black?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why is most of the NBA black?  (Read 14211 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2005, 06:22:08 PM »

The "warm climates create taller people"-argument, really is hardly believable to me. Maybe this sheds some light on the height-factor:

There are a lot of surprising things on this thread.

Bigotry...from the so-called Christian (what a surprise) who preaches to others.( Although I should not be surprised with this pseudo-Christian and his gutter comments I suppose.)

Ignoring the misled and racist comments I will continue on to point:

First the debate about warmer climates producing taller human beings:

Take any anthropology course and you will soon find that
it is indeed true that those closer to the equator tend to grow taller (away from the heart), then those further away. How many 7 foot Eskimos do you see running around? You don't because their bodies are short and round keeping closer to the heart.

Jimmy the Greek (if anybody remembers) was fired for making a comment about slave days producing blacks that had superior strength to whites in this country. In some aspects it is true, they were bred to be stronger and bigger (sad to say) and many of those genes carried on until this day.

There are tall white boys in b-ball to, of course and an Asian comes to mind as well. In this game, being tall probably tops the list of prereqs for success, and there are plenty of blacks to fill that column. Blacks also predominantly have a "fast twitch" muscle makeup and that is why you see them in more explosive type events: sprints, basketball, football etc. Short sprints, fast explosive muscle growth. There are exceptions to the ?fast twitch? muscle and that is why you see white boys creeping into the game. But again, how many 6'10" Asians do you see running around? Again, not many.

Why so many white soccer players? The game calls for a different kind of slow twitch muscle found more in the "white" European race.

How about marathon runners? A total slow twitch muscle makeup needed for that style of event. Hence the white boys sweep that event up. There are African runners that are world class, but they are not the same genetically (Insert Jimmy the Greek reference here) as "African Americans?. They also often live at a higher altitude aiding in oxygen consumption which is essential for long distance runners. Again there are exceptions and there are ?African Americans? that have more ?slow twitch? muscle then the rest, but it?s rare.

Look at any track and field even and weigh the ratio of black vs white per event. And that breaks it down pretty well. Start with 100 meter dash and then all the way up to the marathon. You?ll get my point.

It?s all pretty old info at this point anyway...at least 20 yrs old.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 06:34:48 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2005, 06:28:02 PM »

It comes down to socio-economics - all you need to play basketball is a court - hockey requires expensive ice time - given the disenfranchised black youth - do the math yourself

That may make sense for hockey, which I believe is a society based game.

But with your argument could we not apply the same to soccer? It's just a ball right? Why aren't all the poor blacks sticking to this game as well?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2005, 08:30:45 PM »

The MVP award for the NBA was announced and a white canadian won it, and a german white boy came in third

so the NBA is doing well all the way round, its way more than just a black sport.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
sandman
Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 09:18:11 AM »

There are a lot of black QB's in the NFL, but none have won a Super Bowl.

doug williams.

blacks were breeded during slavery to be big, strong, and have alot of ensurance. all qualities of a good athlete. it's in their genes.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 03:52:04 PM »

Williams?? What team and what year?? 2nd string maybe?

Doug Williams, who came to the Redskins from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1986, won Super Bowl XXII Most Valuable Player honors when he led Washington to a 42-10 rout of the Denver Broncos. Williams completed 18 of 29 passes for 340 yards and four touchdowns in the victory. Williams outdueled the Broncos' John Elway, connecting on two long bombs of 80 and 50 yards to Ricky Sanders and a 27-yard pass to Gary Clark.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 06:26:17 PM »

he's "one in a million" hihi

many racists like to point out that it was a strike year.

axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2006, 06:35:27 PM »

How are any of the comments on this thread racist? Why do people think that talkin about another ethnic group is racist? There are no points in this thread that insult black people. Also, my mate told me that black people have an extra bone in their body which enables them to run faster and jump higher, apparently they have this due to having to run from lions in Africa, but wouldn't white people have these bones from having to run from wolves etc??   Undecided

That's a hatrick for Doull
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 10:12:07 AM »

How are any of the comments on this thread racist? Why do people think that talkin about another ethnic group is racist? There are no points in this thread that insult black people. Also, my mate told me that black people have an extra bone in their body which enables them to run faster and jump higher, apparently they have this due to having to run from lions in Africa, but wouldn't white people have these bones from having to run from wolves etc??? ?Undecided

You're kidding me right?

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 10:30:54 AM »

The answers are right there in history if you just look for 'em...

3) Daily running nowadays running from law-enforcement.

here's the racist comment for those wondering. and i am by no means politically correct, and can laugh at jokes about any race/ethnicity/etc.

i don't think anything else was racist though.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006, 04:27:34 PM »

black people are just better at explosive sports.. That simple.. Jimmy the greek hihi

Also sports tend to be dominated by poor people... Boxing is an example,... basketball is a very inexpensive sport that you can play alone just need a basketball and a court, which is all over the inner city
sandman
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2006, 06:29:18 PM »

black people are just better at explosive sports.. That simple.. Jimmy the greek hihi

Also sports tend to be dominated by poor people... Boxing is an example,... basketball is a very inexpensive sport that you can play alone just need a basketball and a court, which is all over the inner city

that's actually a very good point. i never really thought of it that way.

the odds for anyone making it to the professional level in sports are very slim. but for poor people, making it to the pros is the only option.

middle and upper class people have other options that are secure and rewarding. so instead of taking a major "chance" and dedicating their lives to sports, they make other career options their priority.

Karma_Police
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »

Can anyone offer me some theories behind why the NBA is almost entirely comprised of African-American guys, where most other sports have a more even balance of population demographics?

Why is the NHL an overly white sport? Why is Tennis and Golf a predominatley white sport? Why are track and feild sprinters mostly black? It's just the way it is. If you're looking for a theory here's one. Basketball is kinda linked with the hip hop culture more so than the other sports. Hip Hop has always been part of the black culture. It makes sense that more black folks play basketball than white folks.
Karma_Police
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2006, 06:40:31 PM »

Also it could have alot to do with black people being better athletes. That could be it. Consider this. If the black population in Canada was the same or more than the white population I gaurentee you'd see alot more African AmeriCanadians in the NHL than what we see now.  But like I said before I honestly think the basketball thing has alot to do with the hip hop culture. Not entirely but that's one factor.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2006, 04:39:43 AM »

Can anyone offer me some theories behind why the NBA is almost entirely comprised of African-American guys, where most other sports have a more even balance of population demographics?

Why is the NHL an overly white sport? Why is Tennis and Golf a predominatley white sport? Why are track and feild sprinters mostly black? It's just the way it is. If you're looking for a theory here's one. Basketball is kinda linked with the hip hop culture more so than the other sports. Hip Hop has always been part of the black culture. It makes sense that more black folks play basketball than white folks.

you know why also because inner city youth doesn't have the money to play hockey or get into golf... Same goes with tennis.. It's also about availability.. Most people growing up in the projects aren't on the golf course or spending money on hockey equipment or having friends to dress up as a goalie...

You can become an amazing dribbler alone in basketball, you can take 500 free throws alone, you can pratice lay ups alone, you can shoot 3's all day alone.. Skies the limit with B ball..

middle and upper class people have other options that are secure and rewarding. so instead of taking a major "chance" and dedicating their lives to sports, they make other career options their priority.

exactly dude... With boxing it was once irish jewish italian, those were the poor people, now it's black n latino.. It's the one chance they feel they have... Maybe a better option then a gang or stealing... Many choose education today over sports in those classes
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 04:42:14 AM by mikegiuliana » Logged
DMJ
Headliner

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 07:51:37 PM »

its actually getting whiter with all the europeans coming in while soccer is getting blacker, just look at france that won the world cup 90% white now france is 90% black

Baron of the bench the panhandlin' master
Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 10:36:44 PM »

You're a fucking ignorant bastard, with that said

Most black families in America live below the poverty line and basketball is the cheapest sport to play, you need a ball (10bucks) and a milk crate, or you can go to a park
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 11:47:55 AM by Bostonrose » Logged

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2006, 10:07:22 PM »

cuz black men generally come from africa, or at least their familes do, and because of that blacks are taller than whites, they are from warm climtes that makes their bodys taller, thus giving them a better chance to make it in basketball. people from warm climites tend to me taller but thinner, where people from cold climites then to be shorter but heavier.

This is false.  No country on earth has taller people than the Netherlands.  The reason why the majority of NBA players are black is socio-economic.  The social aspect revolves around the fact that this is the game they play all their life.  They live it, they breathe it, it's a matter of respect in the neighborhood.  The economics, as many have pointed out already, is it's the cheapest game to play.  It's entirely free with the exception of a $10 basketball.  Many black kids in the U.S. grow up poor, and this sport provides an outlet.

The folks who think it's genetic have been taught alot of horse-poop.  A while back people were taught that black people had an extra muscle in their legs that allowed them to jump higher.  This is ridiculous.  When people perpetuate the myth of the "naturally superior" black athlete, they are in essence providing a great cop-out.  An excuse to explain their lack of success in a particular sport.  I laugh my ass off when some Greek, or Pole, or you name the white guy's nation, kicks ass at the Olympics. 

As Axl would say,..."Suck on that!"

peace   

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2006, 01:26:41 AM »

Williams?? What team and what year?? 2nd string maybe?

Redskins, 1983. I lived in DC then and remember well.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2006, 08:29:43 PM »

i hate these type of threads.

its just a competative race excuse again.

html sucks
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: