Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:52:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1570223 times)
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #3960 on: January 15, 2015, 09:57:30 AM »

GN'R has never been about being pigeonholed into a category. Never.
When people thought they were a hard rock band, they put out a bunch of acoustic stuff. That was followed by anything from piano ballads to a hard rock cover of a song by the Wings. And on to Oh My God and Chinese Democracy.

If Axl was so concerned about trying to make a "GN'R sounding" record, Chinese Democracy would've been a lot different.
The GN'R name is a stamp of quality. Not a definition on how a song is supposed to be.

/jarmo

Agreed in part. You can't really say this band has evolved in the true sense of the word though. Maybe from the AFD through Illusions periods because the main songwriters from that ERA were still in place. After that it became the evolution of Axl Rose.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3961 on: January 15, 2015, 10:06:53 AM »

GN'R has never been about being pigeonholed into a category. Never.
When people thought they were a hard rock band, they put out a bunch of acoustic stuff. That was followed by anything from piano ballads to a hard rock cover of a song by the Wings. And on to Oh My God and Chinese Democracy.

If Axl was so concerned about trying to make a "GN'R sounding" record, Chinese Democracy would've been a lot different.
The GN'R name is a stamp of quality. Not a definition on how a song is supposed to be.

/jarmo

Agreed in part. You can't really say this band has evolved in the true sense of the word though. Maybe from the AFD through Illusions periods because the main songwriters from that ERA were still in place. After that it became the evolution of Axl Rose.

So true, but some people take offense to that.

It's true what jarmo said tho... the GNR name means something, and whatever Axl releases under that name stamps it as something that is supposed to be great.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3962 on: January 15, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »

I think most objection to the music changing is the fact that the band has changed 7 times over... if the Appetite/ Illusion band evolved in to producing the Chinese songs... then it would not have been met with one tenth of the same push back.

Big time.

No one but us see this as one continuous operation.  And even among us, that's hardly universal.

Most people would not tell you that GNR's music evolved over time as much as the band totally changed.  If Axl sacked all these guys tomorrow and hired a new crew, would that be an evolution of the sound of the 2001-14 line-up?  No.  Its a totally new operation with its own thing.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3963 on: January 15, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »

It's true what jarmo said tho... the GNR name means something, and whatever Axl releases under that name stamps it as something that is supposed to be great.

I don't know about that.

Its a rock band.  Its not a religion.  Its not a philosophy.  Its a business.  And business is the reason Axl (wisely) kept the name.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3964 on: January 15, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »

I don't know about that.

Its a rock band.  Its not a religion.  Its not a philosophy.  Its a business.  And business is the reason Axl (wisely) kept the name.

Well Axl has said that back when he got control of the bands name nobody including himself knew about brands or the business or what the band name really meant.

I don't think he wanted for the business side of this actually.  I see him as a stubborn type of person and actually kinda cheap.   I think he wanted the name because he honestly just thought it was his.  And it was his right to own.  It's as simple as just wanting to legally own his proper pretty with no thinking of what he thought the future would bring
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3965 on: January 15, 2015, 11:08:38 AM »

I think most objection to the music changing is the fact that the band has changed 7 times over... if the Appetite/ Illusion band evolved in to producing the Chinese songs... then it would not have been met with one tenth of the same push back.

Big time.

No one but us see this as one continuous operation.  And even among us, that's hardly universal.

Most people would not tell you that GNR's music evolved over time as much as the band totally changed.  If Axl sacked all these guys tomorrow and hired a new crew, would that be an evolution of the sound of the 2001-14 line-up?  No.  Its a totally new operation with its own thing.

I think the biggest thing that has changed with guns is how the whole writing songs for there records have changed

I think appetite and lies where many written by the band as a whole outside of the studio

I think the uyi albums were written by individuals outside of the studio, comparing things/ideas over phones and mail etc..

The album CD was primarily written in the studio.   Robin has stated that he brought in a few of his own demos that got used and I am sure buckethead had a few melodies that he already had that got used.  But for the most part the album was purely written in the studio

All the above is what will give you that changes in sound gnr has brought us

Is there any other bands that purely write songs in the studio?   I always thought the studio was purely used for recording songs that have already been written
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3966 on: January 15, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »

I don't know about that.

Oh I agree with that too. But "the world" expects something big from anything with the GNR name.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3967 on: January 15, 2015, 11:15:32 AM »

Big time.

Yep. I just wanted to point out that any evolution or change int he way the records sound would not be met with the same attacks by some if the band members had stayed the same.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3968 on: January 15, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »

I don't know about that.

Oh I agree with that too. But "the world" expects something big from anything with the GNR name.

I don't think the world expects anything big from guns n roses any more, this isn't the early 90s, when they were and there biggest mainstream peak or even the mid 2000s when they had all the mystery over this long awaited very expensive album

I think guns has a very healthy hardcore fan base, but to win back the general public they will have to work for it.  Great album, hit songs, great tours, in your face promotion. 

I would go far as to say the general public has lost lots of interest in guns n roses.  And it's almost the reverse of expecting something big to come from the band.  I think the general public is almost expecting something to come out that will suck and not be very good

Even though I don't think the band gnr has that much interest from the general public.  I think Axl ROse still generates a lot of interest in himself. 
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3969 on: January 15, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »

Maybe part of the evolution was the change in the band itself....

I don't know about that.

Its a rock band.  Its not a religion.  Its not a philosophy.  Its a business. 

Rock bands that are business don't have philosophies?  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3970 on: January 15, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »

Well Axl has said that back when he got control of the bands name nobody including himself knew about brands or the business or what the band name really meant.

I don't think he wanted for the business side of this actually.

You buy that?  Because it smells like a steaming pile to me.

He "didn't know anything about it"...but sure knew he wanted it.  I'm not sure those 2 things match up.

I don't know how much a business savant one has to be to realize that you'd rather be the one with the rights to the name than not.  Even if you don't know jack about business, if you were simply a music fan, you know the name is everything.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3971 on: January 15, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »

I think the biggest thing that has changed with guns is how the whole writing songs for there records have changed

I think appetite and lies where many written by the band as a whole outside of the studio

I think the uyi albums were written by individuals outside of the studio, comparing things/ideas over phones and mail etc..

The album CD was primarily written in the studio.   Robin has stated that he brought in a few of his own demos that got used and I am sure buckethead had a few melodies that he already had that got used.  But for the most part the album was purely written in the studio

All the above is what will give you that changes in sound gnr has brought us

If I had to make a list of the 5 things that are the biggest change, different personnel would be #1.  Maybe even #2 and #3 as well, as it is that stark.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3972 on: January 15, 2015, 11:33:51 AM »

Even though I don't think the band gnr has that much interest from the general public.  I think Axl ROse still generates a lot of interest in himself. 

But would "The Axl Rose Band" headline festivals?  Hardly.  They are on a side stage at 4:30 in the afternoon.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3973 on: January 15, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »

Rock bands that are business don't have philosophies?  Tongue

People WAY overromantacize a lot of this.

Its a rock band that makes songs we all like.  That's it.  Let's not get carried away here with how "Guns N' Roses" is some sort of movement.

It's a rock band.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3974 on: January 15, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »

But would "The Axl Rose Band" headline festivals?  Hardly.  They are on a side stage at 4:30 in the afternoon.

I dunno.  If he pumped out good music fairly regularly post 1996, I think 'Axl Rose' could have been a pretty viable act, albeit not as much as "Guns N' Roses".  I'm thinking along the lines of Ozzy Osbourne.  But the main thing there is releasing good music "regularly" as in every 2-3 years.  That never seemed to be Axl's forte.  Still doesn't.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3975 on: January 15, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »

I dunno.  If he pumped out good music fairly regularly post 1996, I think 'Axl Rose' could have been a pretty viable act, albeit not as much as "Guns N' Roses".  I'm thinking along the lines of Ozzy Osbourne.  But the main thing there is releasing good music "regularly" as in every 2-3 years.  That never seemed to be Axl's forte.  Still doesn't.

And if you are going to park your ass on the sidelines all that time, you need the name all the more.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3976 on: January 15, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »

I don't think he wanted for the business side of this actually.

You buy that?  Because it smells like a steaming pile to me.

He "didn't know anything about it"...but sure knew he wanted it.  I'm not sure those 2 things match up.

I don't know how much a business savant one has to be to realize that you'd rather be the one with the rights to the name than not.  Even if you don't know jack about business, if you were simply a music fan, you know the name is everything.

I buy it to a certain degree.  I really just think he just thought the name was his and just wanted it to be his.  Yes.  He seems that way. Nothing wrong with it

Do I think he was oblivious to the history of music.  When other bands lost the band naming writes to various different people.  Not a chance.  This sort of thing has been going on since the 1950s and it's line of work so you would think he would know all about it.  So you would have to naive not to think he didn't know the consequences would be if he didn't have legal owner ship over the bands name, in case they broke up.  

I could see him wanting it    Because he felt it was his property.  I do think he was thinking a little of the future when he got the name though, just for albums and tours...   But I think he was naive to the business side of it all

Few reasons I think this.   He came our a few years ago and said this.   Why would he lie about it?  He could of said. Ya slash and duff were so stupid.  I totally knew how big naming rights and how big branding was going to be.  That's why I got the name.  I didn't vent have to buy those guys out for it or anything.  

Even slash and duff have said they didn't know how much of a business's things would become.  

But.  I always feel Slash and Duffs failure to remember a lot of the past remindes me of my self a lot when I get loaded at night then the next day I use the excuse...   I dont  remember anything last night!   Just to have an excuse for your horrible actions from the night before.  Lol, thing is.  You always remember!
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3977 on: January 15, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »

I definitely think Axl's career without the GN R name could have rivaled Ozzy's.

It worked great for him... I'm sure there wouldn't have been Axlfest, but still. Ozzy made a fortune without Sabbath, and if Axl had put out as much music as Ozzy did, I believe he would have done great with it.

Edit... Also if Axl didn't use the name he wouldn't have had to go thru 75 percent of the legal BS and all the other hurdles that went along with it making it easier to get stuff out, i;m sure of Ozzy toured under the name Black Ssabbath with new guys he would have had a harder time getting music out too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:47:23 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3978 on: January 15, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »

Edit... Also if Axl didn't use the name he wouldn't have had to go thru 75 percent of the legal BS and all the other hurdles that went along with it making it easier to get stuff out

But is any label giving 10 years time and $13 million bucks to "untitled Axl Rose project"?

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3979 on: January 15, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »

I definitely think Axl's career without the GN R name could have rivaled Ozzy's.

It worked great for him... I'm sure there wouldn't have been Axlfest, but still. Ozzy made a fortune without Sabbath, and if Axl had put out as much music as Ozzy did, I believe he would have done great with it.

Edit... Also if Axl didn't use the name he wouldn't have had to go thru 75 percent of the legal BS and all the other hurdles that went along with it making it easier to get stuff out, i;m sure of Ozzy toured under the name Black Ssabbath with new guys he would have had a harder time getting music out too.

solo Ozzie wrote some huge hits

Solo Ozzie has a pretty steady touring line up that fans could bond too

Would Solo Axl have this?  

Axl in ownership with the band name gnr hasn't been able to perform the above

But who knows.  Axl himself said if he was to go solo the songs would be totally different than anything gnr related.  Mb one of those songs would of been a huge hit
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: