Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:54:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1570566 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3980 on: January 15, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »

Edit... Also if Axl didn't use the name he wouldn't have had to go thru 75 percent of the legal BS and all the other hurdles that went along with it making it easier to get stuff out

But is any label giving 10 years time and $13 million bucks to "untitled Axl Rose project"?

Nope.   Not until he could pore that the Name Axl Rose could sell
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3981 on: January 15, 2015, 11:51:46 AM »

Even though I don't think the band gnr has that much interest from the general public.  I think Axl ROse still generates a lot of interest in himself. 

But would "The Axl Rose Band" headline festivals?  Hardly.  They are on a side stage at 4:30 in the afternoon.

I dunno.  If he pumped out good music fairly regularly post 1996, I think 'Axl Rose' could have been a pretty viable act, albeit not as much as "Guns N' Roses".  I'm thinking along the lines of Ozzy Osbourne.  But the main thing there is releasing good music "regularly" as in every 2-3 years.  That never seemed to be Axl's forte.  Still doesn't.

I definitely think Axl's career without the GN R name could have rivaled Ozzy's.

It worked great for him... I'm sure there wouldn't have been Axlfest, but still. Ozzy made a fortune without Sabbath, and if Axl had put out as much music as Ozzy did, I believe he would have done great with it.

Edit... Also if Axl didn't use the name he wouldn't have had to go thru 75 percent of the legal BS and all the other hurdles that went along with it making it easier to get stuff out

Well yeah, and I understand Axl thinks a 'solo album' would sound completely different than Chinese, but lets imagine for a moment that it was an Axl Rose solo.  The tracks were fucking great, and Axl sounds incredible on it.  Not to mention, Axl wouldn't have been cremated half as much for taking his sweet time putting out solo album(s).  And then another album of equal quality drops 2-3 years later.  I can't see how it wouldnt be successful.  Just my opinion.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3982 on: January 15, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »

Even though I don't think the band gnr has that much interest from the general public.  I think Axl ROse still generates a lot of interest in himself. 

But would "The Axl Rose Band" headline festivals?  Hardly.  They are on a side stage at 4:30 in the afternoon.

I dunno.  If he pumped out good music fairly regularly post 1996, I think 'Axl Rose' could have been a pretty viable act, albeit not as much as "Guns N' Roses".  I'm thinking along the lines of Ozzy Osbourne.  But the main thing there is releasing good music "regularly" as in every 2-3 years.  That never seemed to be Axl's forte.  Still doesn't.

I definitely think Axl's career without the GN R name could have rivaled Ozzy's.

It worked great for him... I'm sure there wouldn't have been Axlfest, but still. Ozzy made a fortune without Sabbath, and if Axl had put out as much music as Ozzy did, I believe he would have done great with it.

Well yeah, and I understand Axl thinks a 'solo album' would sound completely different than Chinese, but lets imagine for a moment that it was an Axl Rose solo.  The tracks were fucking great, and Axl sounds incredible on it.  Not to mention, Axl wouldn't have been cremated half as much for taking his sweet time putting out solo album(s).  And then another album of equal quality drops 2-3 years later.  I can't see how it wouldnt be successful.  Just my opinion.

I agree 100 percent...As fans it would have been better for us... we'd have more of his work available to us... Don't see how he wouldn't.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3983 on: January 15, 2015, 11:53:53 AM »

I don't know how much a business savant one has to be to realize that you'd rather be the one with the rights to the name than not. 

You don't need to be anything. It's logic. If you came up with a name, it should be yours.

You really have little faith in the singer you claim to be a fan of.
Singers from bands who were way less popular than GN'R worldwide have managed to keep headlining.

Rock bands that are business don't have philosophies?  Tongue

People WAY overromantacize a lot of this.

Its a rock band that makes songs we all like.  That's it.  Let's not get carried away here with how "Guns N' Roses" is some sort of movement.

It's a rock band.

Did you answer the question? I don't see it.

By the way, yet another turn toawards the "name issue". I guess it's that time of the month again.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3984 on: January 15, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »

I don't know how much a business savant one has to be to realize that you'd rather be the one with the rights to the name than not. 

You don't need to be anything. It's logic. If you came up with a name, it should be yours.

Singers from bands who were way less popular than GN'R worldwide have managed to keep headlining.

Its a rock band that makes songs we all like.  That's it.  Let's not get carried away here with how "Guns N' Roses" is some sort of movement.

It's a rock band.

By the way, yet another turn toawards the "name issue". I guess it's that time of the month again.

/jarmo

Chris Cornell is a good example of a lead singer that does pretty good touring on his own and has never really and a hit on his own
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3985 on: January 15, 2015, 11:59:12 AM »

It's a rock band.

/jarmo

In fairness to DX... he didn't start the conversation... Owl did

And it's going to come up til the end time... it's a big part of the history and very big part of why music has been so scarce...imo.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3986 on: January 15, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »

Yeah, that part wasn't aimed at him.

That topic seems to come up every month.
For some reason it's often brought up by people who can't seem to let it go... For some weird reason...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3987 on: January 15, 2015, 12:01:56 PM »

For some reason it's often brought up by people who can't seem to let it go... For some weird reason...

/jarmo

Well we are not all as accepting on the name issue.  Smiley

No reason to get upset about it. I understand getting tired of talking about it tho.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3988 on: January 15, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »

/jarmo

I'm fine with Axl using the Guns N' Roses name.  Always have been.  I'm just saying he could have had a very lucrative career on his own releasing music under the Axl Rose banner.  Though he may disagree.  He did say there was quite a bit of pressure from the industry to continue to release music and tour under the GNR name.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3989 on: January 15, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »

solo Ozzie wrote some huge hits

Solo Ozzie has a pretty steady touring line up that fans could bond too

Would Solo Axl have this?  

Axl in ownership with the band name gnr hasn't been able to perform the above

You want one thing
That's to play the king
But the castle's crumbled
And you're left with just a name

Where's your crown, King Nothing?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3990 on: January 15, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »

So without dwelling on the name issue, in this thread at least, let's talk about something on topic.

How many would buy the album in multiple formats if it was made available that way? Meaning buy a CD, buying the vinyl and maybe even digital release.
Or do you buy one copy only?

What do you think of deluxe editions? Would you buy one if it was offered? Why, why not?

/jarmo

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3991 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »

So without dwelling on the name issue, in this thread at least, let's talk about something on topic.

How many would buy the album in multiple formats if it was made available that way? Meaning buy a CD, buying the vinyl and maybe even digital release.

What do you think of deluxe editions? Would you buy one if it was offered? Why, why not?

/jarmo

I would buy a CD and a vinyl copy, and probably more than 1 of each.

I'd certainly buy a deluxe issue if it is offered with at least 1 different track... Remixes... I might not go for.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3992 on: January 15, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »

/jarmo

I would buy a CD and a vinyl copy, and probably more than 1 of each.

I'd certainly buy a deluxe issue if it is offered with at least 1 different track... Remixes... I might not go for.

Agreed, I'd buy CD (for the booklet & for my car) and vinyl for listening at home.   Obviously, I'd do digital if it was made available for download before released in a physical format.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3993 on: January 15, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »

No, I'm living in the same real world promoters live in.

"Guns N' Roses" was still able to get headlining slots despite no material, nor really, any clue who would be on the stage.  They were booked on the name.  

You would not have as easy a time selling "The Axl Rose Band" as a festival headliner, as it would be a theoretical group made up of god knows who with no track record.

This particular conversation is about the name, detective.

Not super credible to ask me a series of questions about the name, and then wrap it up with "I can't believe we are talking about the name again."

Get real.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3994 on: January 15, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »

I would buy the physical CD and then rip it in WAV format for my iPod.

I would buy any deluxe edition if it had new material on it.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3995 on: January 15, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »

I've seen artists offer deluxe editions that have different artwork and/or packaging compared to the regular album. Would that be enough for you to get that?

Agreed, I'd buy CD (for the booklet & for my car) and vinyl for listening at home.   Obviously, I'd do digital if it was made available for download before released in a physical format.

So the way to sell more copies is to offer something exclusive in every single version. Which is why we often see iTunes albums have bonus tracks and so on...

No, I'm living in the same real world promoters live in.

"Guns N' Roses" was still able to get headlining slots despite no material, nor really, any clue who would be on the stage.  They were booked on the name. 

You would not have as easy a time selling "The Axl Rose Band" as a festival headliner, as it would be a theoretical group made up of god knows who with no track record.

Since there would be no other alternative, seeing Axl Rose solo would have been the only option for anybody who wanted to hear the GN'R songs performed by Axl. Nothing would've been different.
People wanna hear him sing the songs. Simple as that.

I think most people know the names Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses. We're not talking about some unknown name here. It's Axl fucking Rose. If you honestly don't think a majority of the people attending shows know who Axl is, I think you're pretty naive and/or in denial....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:51:23 PM by jarmo » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3996 on: January 15, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »

I've seen artists offer deluxe editions that have different artwork and/or packaging compared to the regular album. Would that be enough for you to get that?

It would not for me, no.

I think, at that point, you are basically dealing the more hardcore completists.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3997 on: January 15, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »

Since there would be no other alternative, seeing Axl Rose solo would have been the only option for anybody who wanted to hear the GN'R songs performed by Axl. Nothing would've been different.
People wanna hear him sing the songs. Simple as that.

But you would have no idea what he'd play.  That's the point.  Yeah, you probably hope he'd still give you the basic GNR show.  But do you know?  He would have no track record.

Some artists that go off on their own go the complete other way.  They don't want their solo show to basically be their old band's show under a different name.

But if you book "Guns N' Roses", even if what turns up on stage is just Axl and a bunch of guys named Harry, you know you are still getting all the hits.  That is a headline act.  "The Axl Rose Band" ain't.  Not sight unseen, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:03:09 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3998 on: January 15, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »

/jarmo

I would get the CD and digital releases.  As for deluxe versions, definitely if there's additional music or remixes, but I could be swayed by non-music stuff, not so much artwork or packaging, but I would love a DVD with band interviews talking about the making of the songs on the album or even just a tour diary booklet.
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #3999 on: January 15, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »

Ok...briefly....i did not mean to start a "Name" discussion. Was just pointing out the difference in Jarmo's timeline on the evolution of the band sound.

Secondly, I would buy a vinyl( love the sound of them) and depending on what's included on it, the deluxe edition.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: