Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 12:31:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227928 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)  (Read 247689 times)
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #740 on: October 23, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »

I feel like DX you may be making the assumption that album sales mean more to Axl than living up to his own code. I think that trying to live up to what he sees to be true and not living in conflict with himself is more important to him than album sales even when you take it to extremes. Some people may see it as bullish and others may admire his integrity but I think this part of him is a big part of what makes him Axl Rose and a big part of what makes him cool.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #741 on: October 23, 2014, 10:21:18 PM »

I feel like DX you may be making the assumption that album sales mean more to Axl than living up to his own code. I think that trying to live up to what he sees to be true and not living in conflict with himself is more important to him than album sales even when you take it to extremes. Some people may see it as bullish and others may admire his integrity but I think this part of him is a big part of what makes him Axl Rose and a big part of what makes him cool.

I think of it like this. 

I made my peace with the break-up long ago.  But I never shook the feeling, one I maintain to this day, that if we actually ever head what the real crux of the discord was, there is at least a chance we'd say "That?  THAT is what all this has been about??" 

I have no doubt that Axl's reasons are valid, as he sees them.  And how receptive management affirms those reasons to him.  But if we heard them, are you 100% sure you'd agree with him?

This is not to suggest that you, I, or anyone here knows everything about the music business, we are obviously 100% right, and he should do exactly as we say.  No one had ever said that.  Those are strawman arguments put forth by people that would rather not answer these questions, even just as a goof.

But what's your gut tell you?  Are you that convinced if you could be a fly on the wall for some of this, you'd concur that the show simply cannot go on until certain things are addressed?

Or would you maybe think that, maybe, just maybe...things could be worked out if you really wanted to get something done? 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:22:56 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #742 on: October 23, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »

I think I would agree that it is Axl's vision and it should be done his way. I'm not into forcing the man to do anything he doesn't want to do. Some details that may not seem important to us are very important to him. He addressed that somewhere in whispers in reference to the album art. If it means that much to him than he shouldn't budge.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #743 on: October 23, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »

I think I would agree that it is Axl's vision and it should be done his way. I'm not into forcing the man to do anything he doesn't want to do. Some details that may not seem important to us are very important to him. He addressed that somewhere in whispers in reference to the album art. If it means that much to him than he shouldn't budge.

Ultimately, its his show.  And there ain't shit we can do about it.

All these posts I've made tonight are just two dudes on a barstool talking type stuff.  Just spitballin' to pass the time.  I certainly mean no offense to anyone, even though I get tagged with that a lot.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #744 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »

Yes, it's nice to be able to talk about GNR with people regardless of if I agree with them or not. You are definitely a big step above (in terms of my enjoying your company) most people I meet that have nothing to say about GNR except that A.R. is the scum of the earth or Sweet Child O' Mine was a great song.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #745 on: October 23, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »

Yes, it's nice to be able to talk about GNR with people regardless of if I agree with them or not. You are definitely a big step above (in terms of my enjoying your company) most people I meet that have nothing to say about GNR except that A.R. is the scum of the earth or Sweet Child O' Mine was a great song.

Most of the GNR talk I get out in the world is positive.

No one can tell me anything they've done in 20 years, but I hear way more positive Axl stuff than not.  Most in the "those guys were awesome" type vein.  People remember more of the good stuff than the bad, I find.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #746 on: October 23, 2014, 10:58:35 PM »

Yeah, for me it's that way too, ie the "Sweet Child O' Mine was a great song!" part, but whenever I run into someone that actually knows CD exists, there is a big chance that they don't like it and they don't like Axl. Especially on the internet. I've run into a few people that like CD but not as many as I do that dislike it.

It drives me crazy because I can't understand why CD failed to win so many people over. That's part of what I'm here to figure out. I want to support the band in my own way, and I want to engage in debate with people so I can understand their views and my own views a little better. Coming here really forces me to think critically about certain things.

This part of the conversation should have been said via pm. I have to be careful not to get into a habit of doing this because I'd hate to be the one that derails a conversation. My bad! Doh!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:04:59 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #747 on: October 23, 2014, 11:41:24 PM »

You may also ask "What's in it for the label to leak songs that Iovine had copies of?" Azoff's reach is (or was) vast, his attempts to sabotage the release of the album to orchestrate a reunion are noted.

This is getting a bit into tinfoil hat area.  Come on.  Stick to what we can remotely prove.

I'll agree Azoff's motives were less than pure.  But any competent manager is going to at least see about a reunion.  Its going to be the idea that makes the most business sense as long as Axl is alive.  Team Brazil has the gig now because they are the one management team on the planet that won't ask about it.

I just don't know I see Azoff in the corner like the Cigarette Smoking Man orchestrating all this trouble for the band.  That's a leap.

Why was the flawed booklet issued when an approved copy was available? Why weren't the alternate covers released? Why was "monumental promotion" promised but reniged on?

Booklet was absolutely messed up.  And that's on the label.  No question.

But the reason for your other two questions are the same one : Axl took off.  

What real incentive do they have to sink more money into something that wasn't exactly selling like hotcakes to begin with, but also involves an artist that seemingly washed his hands of it?  What kid of monumental promotion can you do with no cooperation from the one guy that should be the most interested in seeing it happen?

I don't see nobility in ill conceived tantrums that ultimately hurt the product.  Its a disservice to the work, to himself, and not for nothing...the guys that hung almost 10 years with him.  All for a payoff that never came because he got mad.

Some of you guys see this as worth it.  I don't.  If its make the best of of a bad situation or just be mad, only a fool decides to just be mad, to his own detriment.  The only ones that seemed to be served by this so called principled stand is some of his fans that seem to really think he showed the world.

"Stick to what we can remotely prove"? Who is we ? Is that you and the mouse in your pocket.?

Ever think that just maybe you don't know the entire story? I disagree with your conclusion (s). When the label reniged on agreements that were in place but  for one reason or another not implemented, why cooperate with them?

Just because you don't have all the details does not make it a "tin foil hat" case, nice try at a passive agressive jab though, are you not capable of posting without troll tricks or similar attempts at trying to appear clever? Honest question. Kiss

Still has not answered the questions of why the monumental promotions promised amounted to a cardboard tower in Best Buy or what became of the alternate covers.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #748 on: October 23, 2014, 11:45:53 PM »

I agree with this Rudy-! ok

Do you see Chinese Democracy being more appreciated as time goes by, much like the Stones' Exile on Main Street? That album was badly maligned by many fans as well as critics when it was released.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #749 on: October 24, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »

I don't see how that's relevant to the point I made.

Ali

Of course you don't.

Yes, because it isn't.  Do you have anything on topic to add, or just taking off-topic personal jabs?

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #750 on: October 24, 2014, 12:56:45 AM »

I have to agree, but with a caveat.  I don't want anything other than the album as it was envisioned by Axl and the band.  But, I would hate to see a non-artistic, business reason prevent the release of an artistically realized vision.

Ali

I disagree with your 'caveat'
IMO, Axl's non-artistic business decisions/choices are as equally relevant as his artistically realized vision as it pertains to the release of GNR material.

For him, sure.

I just think it would have been sad if CD was never released because of business reasons given how much I enjoy the album.  Had the Best Buy deal not been secured, I'm not sure if or when the album would've been released.  I just hope that doesn't happen again.  It would be a loss for all of us who appreciate GN'R's music.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #751 on: October 24, 2014, 12:59:08 AM »

I have to agree, but with a caveat.  I don't want anything other than the album as it was envisioned by Axl and the band.  But, I would hate to see a non-artistic, business reason prevent the release of an artistically realized vision.

To what point though?  To the point it never comes out?

Is there a jump off point for you?
No, I can't say there is.

I don't see how that would benefit me as a fan to hear something compromised.

I doubted that once, but when I heard the final, released version of the Chinese Democracy songs, any doubt I had as to what would be better was erased.

Ali
mortismurphy
« Reply #752 on: October 24, 2014, 05:46:36 AM »

That is a new one to me also, the booklet being 'intentionally botched''. Perhaps Slash typed it up?

Don't be an idiot, has nothing to do with slash- not sure why you are even dragging his name into this, other than to attempt to amuse the troll contingent here.

The booklet was issued with mistakes, there was an approved version available, conditions that were agreed apon were not honored- why cooperate with an obvious sabotage attempt or aid their efforts?

Honestly don't expect any of the hostile people to understand this.

Sense of humour fail!

I think you buy into Axl's, ''everybody is 'Out Ta Get Me''', conspiracy theory melodramatics.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #753 on: October 24, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »

I think anybody who says they would rather not have another album if it meant Axl compromising a little bit on any aspect of the package are bat shit crazy...

Cool

You don't get extra credit in Axl's grade book...

That does't mean it isn't noble of him to feel that way about his shit...but come on...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #754 on: October 24, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »

I agree with this Rudy-! ok

Do you see Chinese Democracy being more appreciated as time goes by, much like the Stones' Exile on Main Street? That album was badly maligned by many fans as well as critics when it was released.

Exile on Main Street has a timeless sound. Could be released today and sound fresh. Similar to AFD.
Chinese on the other hand to me already sounds dated. I could see Street of Dreams and CITR cracking the rotation of some competent rock radio stations(surprised they haven?t already) with more frequency. Sneak them into a rock block or something.

I?ve never met anyone in person who appreciates GN?R as much as myself, but I?m not sure how comfortable I am hearing Chinese Democracy in the same sentence as Exile on Main Street(My desert island album)! Exile doesn?t seem to get a whole lot of consistent airplay either though come to think of it, outside of Tumbling Dice, maybe Happy.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #755 on: October 24, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »

I read the interview. I see what he is saying that he can be himself in Six Am. He has skin in Six Am. In GNR, he doesn't have that. I do think DJ could have phrased it much better, though.

I'd agree.  Inartful phrasing.

Yeah, I don't think what DJ said was out of line or wrong at all.  His Patience solo, however, would indicate that perhaps he's not keeping it as close to the old as he thinks...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #756 on: October 24, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »

I can live with how ever he plays Patience if he please just stops doing the hulk hogan ears before Jungle every time!!!!!

I don't have a problem with what he said ....because it's the truth.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ali
Legend

« Reply #757 on: October 24, 2014, 09:12:45 AM »

I think anybody who says they would rather not have another album if it meant Axl compromising a little bit on any aspect of the package are bat shit crazy...

Cool

That does't mean it isn't noble of him to feel that way about his shit...but come on...
Not the package. The music itself.

Ali
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #758 on: October 24, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »

Cool

Yeah, I can't help but think that "booklet-gate" was just a delay tactic.  After he finally turned over the album, he couldn't tinker anymore with the songs, and needed another reason to not release it/second-guess himself.  At that point, the record company probably thought, "hell no, we can't give this back because it will never see the light of day."

I mean, who really looks at the booklet for more than 30 seconds anyway?  Isn't the music more important?
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #759 on: October 24, 2014, 09:21:43 AM »

You may also ask "What's in it for the label to leak songs that Iovine had copies of?" Azoff's reach is (or was) vast, his attempts to sabotage the release of the album to orchestrate a reunion are noted.

This is getting a bit into tinfoil hat area.  Come on.  Stick to what we can remotely prove.

I'll agree Azoff's motives were less than pure.  But any competent manager is going to at least see about a reunion.  Its going to be the idea that makes the most business sense as long as Axl is alive.  Team Brazil has the gig now because they are the one management team on the planet that won't ask about it.

I just don't know I see Azoff in the corner like the Cigarette Smoking Man orchestrating all this trouble for the band.  That's a leap.

Why was the flawed booklet issued when an approved copy was available? Why weren't the alternate covers released? Why was "monumental promotion" promised but reniged on?

Booklet was absolutely messed up.  And that's on the label.  No question.

But the reason for your other two questions are the same one : Axl took off.  

What real incentive do they have to sink more money into something that wasn't exactly selling like hotcakes to begin with, but also involves an artist that seemingly washed his hands of it?  What kid of monumental promotion can you do with no cooperation from the one guy that should be the most interested in seeing it happen?

I don't see nobility in ill conceived tantrums that ultimately hurt the product.  Its a disservice to the work, to himself, and not for nothing...the guys that hung almost 10 years with him.  All for a payoff that never came because he got mad.

Some of you guys see this as worth it.  I don't.  If its make the best of of a bad situation or just be mad, only a fool decides to just be mad, to his own detriment.  The only ones that seemed to be served by this so called principled stand is some of his fans that seem to really think he showed the world.

"Stick to what we can remotely prove"? Who is we ? Is that you and the mouse in your pocket.?

Ever think that just maybe you don't know the entire story? I disagree with your conclusion (s). When the label reniged on agreements that were in place but  for one reason or another not implemented, why cooperate with them?

Just because you don't have all the details does not make it a "tin foil hat" case, nice try at a passive agressive jab though, are you not capable of posting without troll tricks or similar attempts at trying to appear clever? Honest question. Kiss

Still has not answered the questions of why the monumental promotions promised amounted to a cardboard tower in Best Buy or what became of the alternate covers.

So you have the inside information on how it really went down?  Let me guess: you're not telling.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: