Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 06:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227927 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)  (Read 247666 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #720 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »

D X, thanks for sharing your story about the bet you made with your brother. I got a kick out of it.

I still chuckle when I see it shooting pool in his basement.  Son of a bitch.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #721 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:40 PM »

Dj's quote is news for some of you?

You didn't see any shows? YouTube clips? Maybe the new Blu-Ray?
In GN'R part of his job is to perform songs that were written and recorded before he joined. In Sixx:AM, he's playing what he wrote.

Different things, not exactly news unless you're looking for something too closely.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #722 on: October 23, 2014, 06:18:08 PM »

I saw some Youtube clips, yes, but I wasn't at those shows, so its hard to comment on them.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #723 on: October 23, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »

Nobody is disputing anything. The whole thing is about how in some cases the definition of core members varies to whatever fits.

This is often confused to mean as being disrespectful towards the past line ups, which is bullshit. Now the disrespect towards the current band members, some of whom have been there longer than the so called core members, that's another topic altogether....

/jarmo

It's not disrespect....it's indifference...

Tommy can be the "bass player" for 20 more years... like...who cares if it's just to continue playing mostly Duffs parts? I certainly don't disrespect the guy...just indifferent about him. Saw the Replacements play last week...and even tho I wasn't familiar with the songs..awesome show!

Yes, indifference is a good word for it. 

Back on the DJ interview topic, I heard him on Sirius last night (he was a guest DJ on Octane).  Anyway, I only heard a small portion of it, but he introduced himself as ?DJ Ashba, guitarist for Sixx AM?.   No mention of Guns at all.  Now, maybe he said it earlier, or maybe he?s just pushing the Sixx AM angle because they have a new album and tour to promote (imagine that), but I get the impression that these guys are more invested in their ?side projects? then GnR.  DJ is Sixx AM first, Guns second, Tommy is Replacements first, Guns second, and so on.

If these guys treat being in Guns n Roses like a summer job, it?s not hard to see where the indifference towards them comes from.

Especially if Axl is relying on theses guys to write for him. They're obviously going to save their best material for the creative outlets they cherish most.
There is no evidence at all that DJ or anyone else in the band is saving their "best" material for their other projects.  That makes even less sense to me when the stylistic differences between Sixx: AM, The Replacements, etc. are considered vs. GN'R.  It very well may be that they have certain material that fits one project vs. another.

Ali

DJ Ashba: "With Sixx:A.M., it's me. I don't have to try play like somebody else. It's very different."

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/interview-dj-ashba-of-sixx-a-m/11198636

yes

And what does that have to do with dividing up material he's written based on quality?

Obviously, with Sixx: AM he doesn't have to worry about what a previous guitarist sounded like.  I don't see how that's relevant to the point I made.

Ali
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #724 on: October 23, 2014, 06:32:07 PM »

Based on the scenario as you present it here ..... that despite whatever happened with the CD-I release, Axl started the process for the CD-II release, only to be met with a similar 'hardball' position by the label ..... I would want Axl to stand his ground (as I perceived him attempt to do with the CD-I release) until the album can be released as he deems fit.

What do you get out of that, exactly?  Where is your payoff?

These are serious questions, BTW.

This.  
You get the CD Axl is happy releasing. I'd much rather have that than something that was pried out of his hands.
thanks @redneckrudy.  couldn't have said it better myself  ok

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #725 on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »

Based on the scenario as you present it here ..... that despite whatever happened with the CD-I release, Axl started the process for the CD-II release, only to be met with a similar 'hardball' position by the label ..... I would want Axl to stand his ground (as I perceived him attempt to do with the CD-I release) until the album can be released as he deems fit.

What do you get out of that, exactly?  Where is your payoff?

These are serious questions, BTW.

This.  
You get the CD Axl is happy releasing. I'd much rather have that than something that was pried out of his hands.
thanks @redneckrudy.  couldn't have said it better myself  ok

I have to agree, but with a caveat.  I don't want anything other than the album as it was envisioned by Axl and the band.  But, I would hate to see a non-artistic, business reason prevent the release of an artistically realized vision.

Ali
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #726 on: October 23, 2014, 06:52:52 PM »

I have to agree, but with a caveat.  I don't want anything other than the album as it was envisioned by Axl and the band.  But, I would hate to see a non-artistic, business reason prevent the release of an artistically realized vision.

Ali

I disagree with your 'caveat'
IMO, Axl's non-artistic business decisions/choices are as equally relevant as his artistically realized vision as it pertains to the release of GNR material.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #727 on: October 23, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »

That is a new one to me also, the booklet being 'intentionally botched''. Perhaps Slash typed it up?

Don't be an idiot, has nothing to do with slash- not sure why you are even dragging his name into this, other than to attempt to amuse the troll contingent here.

The booklet was issued with mistakes, there was an approved version available, conditions that were agreed apon were not honored- why cooperate with an obvious sabotage attempt or aid their efforts?

Honestly don't expect any of the hostile people to understand this.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #728 on: October 23, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »

Ali

I disagree with your 'caveat'
IMO, Axl's non-artistic business decisions/choices are as equally relevant as his artistically realized vision as it pertains to the release of GNR material.

I agree GypsySoul  beer

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #729 on: October 23, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »

Dj's quote is news for some of you?

You didn't see any shows? YouTube clips? Maybe the new Blu-Ray?
In GN'R part of his job is to perform songs that were written and recorded before he joined. In Sixx:AM, he's playing what he wrote.

Different things, not exactly news unless you're looking for something too closely.

/jarmo

Many of the online fans (and others) have a tendency to overanalyze in order to attempt to somehow justify their judgements imo.

Both residencies were great, anyone not attending missed out bigtime.  Can't wait to get my bundle- already had the blu-ray but am looking forward to getting the CDs.  ok

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #730 on: October 23, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »

To what point though?  To the point it never comes out?

Is there a jump off point for you?

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #731 on: October 23, 2014, 07:47:16 PM »

Nobody is disputing anything. The whole thing is about how in some cases the definition of core members varies to whatever fits.

This is often confused to mean as being disrespectful towards the past line ups, which is bullshit. Now the disrespect towards the current band members, some of whom have been there longer than the so called core members, that's another topic altogether....

/jarmo

It's not disrespect....it's indifference...

Tommy can be the "bass player" for 20 more years... like...who cares if it's just to continue playing mostly Duffs parts? I certainly don't disrespect the guy...just indifferent about him. Saw the Replacements play last week...and even tho I wasn't familiar with the songs..awesome show!

Yes, indifference is a good word for it. 

Back on the DJ interview topic, I heard him on Sirius last night (he was a guest DJ on Octane).  Anyway, I only heard a small portion of it, but he introduced himself as ?DJ Ashba, guitarist for Sixx AM?.   No mention of Guns at all.  Now, maybe he said it earlier, or maybe he?s just pushing the Sixx AM angle because they have a new album and tour to promote (imagine that), but I get the impression that these guys are more invested in their ?side projects? then GnR.  DJ is Sixx AM first, Guns second, Tommy is Replacements first, Guns second, and so on.

If these guys treat being in Guns n Roses like a summer job, it?s not hard to see where the indifference towards them comes from.

Especially if Axl is relying on theses guys to write for him. They're obviously going to save their best material for the creative outlets they cherish most.
There is no evidence at all that DJ or anyone else in the band is saving their "best" material for their other projects.  That makes even less sense to me when the stylistic differences between Sixx: AM, The Replacements, etc. are considered vs. GN'R.  It very well may be that they have certain material that fits one project vs. another.

Ali

DJ Ashba: "With Sixx:A.M., it's me. I don't have to try play like somebody else. It's very different."

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/interview-dj-ashba-of-sixx-a-m/11198636

yes

I read the interview. I see what he is saying that he can be himself in Six Am. He has skin in Six Am. In GNR, he doesn't have that. I do think DJ could have phrased it much better, though.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #732 on: October 23, 2014, 07:48:22 PM »

The booklet was issued with mistakes, there was an approved version available, conditions that were agreed apon were not honored- why cooperate with an obvious sabotage attempt or aid their efforts?

Kind of a leap from "mistakes" to "obvious sabotage", no?

What's in it for the label to intentionally fuck it up? 

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #733 on: October 23, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »

I read the interview. I see what he is saying that he can be himself in Six Am. He has skin in Six Am. In GNR, he doesn't have that. I do think DJ could have phrased it much better, though.

I'd agree.  Inartful phrasing.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #734 on: October 23, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »

Kind of a leap from "mistakes" to "obvious sabotage", no?

What's in it for the label to intentionally fuck it up? 

No leap intended nor inferred.

You may also ask "What's in it for the label to leak songs that Iovine had copies of?" Azoff's reach is (or was) vast, his attempts to sabotage the release of the album to orchestrate a reunion are noted.

Why was the flawed booklet issued when an approved copy was available? Why weren't the alternate covers released? Why was "monumental promotion" promised but reniged on?

Someday I hope to read or hear the complete story behind all of this, chinese whispers is a good compilation but doesn't cover the entire issue from every angle.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #735 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »

I'd agree.  Inartful phrasing.

Overanalyzing and overdramatizing semantics in members' interviews with the explicit intent of finding something that isn't there isn't a healthy habit imo. Kiss

"Shut the fuck up."
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #736 on: October 23, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »

That is interesting that you bring up that extreme DX. Would one rather have a CDII that was released before Axl was happy with it or not ever hear it at all? That's a tough question honestly. Maybe I would take the album. That's really an extreme though. If it was anything but never, as in, I would get to hear it in forty years, I would be happier letting Axl do his thing and getting it out at his own pace. In reality I'm just too damned greedy to live up to my own ideals to that extent. My greed for new music would probably overpower my desire to protect Axl's rights as an artist and a human being if the situation was taken to that extreme.

It sounds fucked up even as I say it, but I'm not going to lie to myself and everyone else here. But at the same time, if I envision it in a physical sense of Axl holding onto this CD for dear life while some powerful beings corner him and physically pry it out of his hands, it makes me think of it a little differently. There I am, holding the control, and if I push the button they'll take it from him and if I don't I will never hear it. What do I do? For some reason when I think of the entities involved doing the same things but not physically (as in forcing him by means of lawyers or what have you) it seems to make it appear not as bad but I guess it's basically the same thing.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #737 on: October 23, 2014, 09:52:43 PM »

Now that I reread my post, I think I probably wouldn't push the button. My initial impulse was to push it but now that some time has passed I don't think I would. I couldn't be happy with it after getting it by such a wrong way. Every time I listened to it I would feel terrible!

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #738 on: October 23, 2014, 09:58:55 PM »

You may also ask "What's in it for the label to leak songs that Iovine had copies of?" Azoff's reach is (or was) vast, his attempts to sabotage the release of the album to orchestrate a reunion are noted.

This is getting a bit into tinfoil hat area.  Come on.  Stick to what we can remotely prove.

I'll agree Azoff's motives were less than pure.  But any competent manager is going to at least see about a reunion.  Its going to be the idea that makes the most business sense as long as Axl is alive.  Team Brazil has the gig now because they are the one management team on the planet that won't ask about it.

I just don't know I see Azoff in the corner like the Cigarette Smoking Man orchestrating all this trouble for the band.  That's a leap.

Why was the flawed booklet issued when an approved copy was available? Why weren't the alternate covers released? Why was "monumental promotion" promised but reniged on?

Booklet was absolutely messed up.  And that's on the label.  No question.

But the reason for your other two questions are the same one : Axl took off.  

What real incentive do they have to sink more money into something that wasn't exactly selling like hotcakes to begin with, but also involves an artist that seemingly washed his hands of it?  What kid of monumental promotion can you do with no cooperation from the one guy that should be the most interested in seeing it happen?

I don't see nobility in ill conceived tantrums that ultimately hurt the product.  Its a disservice to the work, to himself, and not for nothing...the guys that hung almost 10 years with him.  All for a payoff that never came because he got mad.

Some of you guys see this as worth it.  I don't.  If its make the best of of a bad situation or just be mad, only a fool decides to just be mad, to his own detriment.  The only ones that seemed to be served by this so called principled stand is some of his fans that seem to really think he showed the world.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #739 on: October 23, 2014, 10:04:12 PM »

That is interesting that you bring up that extreme DX. Would one rather have a CDII that was released before Axl was happy with it or not ever hear it at all? That's a tough question honestly. Maybe I would take the album. That's really an extreme though. If it was anything but never, as in, I would get to hear it in forty years, I would be happier letting Axl do his thing and getting it out at his own pace. In reality I'm just too damned greedy to live up to my own ideals to that extent. My greed for new music would probably overpower my desire to protect Axl's rights as an artist and a human being if the situation was taken to that extreme.

I think its a question that has to be asked.  Otherwise, its a consequence free statement.

"He should wait until he's ready".  But what if its never?  Are you THAT committed to this idea that he's fighting some artistic jihad against a corrupt world?  And that its more important than ever being heard from again?

To me, the answer is no.  There reaches a point that, if you intend to be taken seriously as an artist, you have to produce work to show your wares.  And you need to take some stock about whether some of your own demands and alleged restrictions are really dealbreakers.

If all you are going to do is work on something for all eternity and never let it see the light of day, you start to become that guy with the "girlfriend" that "lives in Niagara Falls".  People stop taking you seriously.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: