Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 05:37:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227836 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Does a tune without a guitar solo still rock?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does a tune without a guitar solo still rock?  (Read 11444 times)
Almost Famous
« on: September 29, 2004, 11:06:02 PM »

I'm presently recording my demo CD and am finding that I cannot play the kind of guitar solos that I want to play. I mean, come on, I'm a Slash fan! There are lots of bands that are awesome that create great rock music without guitar solos (The Rolling Stones, The Ramones, etc) but I feel like I'm cheaping out by leaving solos out of my tunes. Some of them will have the best solos I can do (emotional but speedy), but others may have to go without.

My question is, does a tune without a solo still rock? I don't want to appear lazy but if it can't be done...

Please let me know your thoughts.
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 12:57:32 AM »

Only if the song calls for a solo, don't just put in a solo for the sake of putting in a solo.

Look at the Immigrant song by led zeppelin, no solo there and that song rocks hard.
moreblack
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 01:02:28 PM »

The Immigrant Song did have a solo live, and it sounded better for it.
The lesson is, always put in a solo.

Scott Weiland: "Man, I won't steer clear of shit. If I won't steer clear of wearing a fucking Nazi uniform coming into Europe, you think I'm going to steer clear of 'Fall to Pieces at Ozzfest?"
Seb
BucketSeb
Rocker

Serial Killer

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 01:45:48 PM »

a good solo almost always puts something extra to a song

Almost Famous
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 09:06:11 PM »

Ok, thanks guys. I guess I'll just do what I feel is best for the art. No use inserting a shit solo just for the sake of including one...
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 01:17:41 AM »

IMO Jimmy's solo he did on the bbc sessions for immigrant song is so out of place, its a bit pointless.

i dunno its just me but ithink its better without the solo.
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 08:27:38 AM »

You should record a version with, and one without a solo,if you're in doubt, and then you should get a clue about what works best for that song...

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 10:38:35 AM »

Take tommy's album for instance, that isn't full of guitar solos, and it's still amazing.
He does have a lot of licks and stuff underneath it all though.
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 05:31:15 PM »

I'm presently recording my demo CD and am finding that I cannot play the kind of guitar solos that I want to play. I mean, come on, I'm a Slash fan! There are lots of bands that are awesome that create great rock music without guitar solos (The Rolling Stones, The Ramones, etc) but I feel like I'm cheaping out by leaving solos out of my tunes. Some of them will have the best solos I can do (emotional but speedy), but others may have to go without.

My question is, does a tune without a solo still rock? I don't want to appear lazy but if it can't be done...

buy contraband dude... there's lots of slash songs without solo  ok

peace

N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 05:36:03 PM »

A solo dosnt dictate how well you can play. there are many songs without solos that stick rock hard. A lot of Nirvana's stuff was solo-less (I'm not sayin kurt was a good guitarist, far from it) but look how popular they were with their memriable material.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 03:23:40 AM »

I personally doesn't always include a guitar solo in my songs when recording them, but my music is alternative, not hard rock like GNR, I bet that if you are making rock music like Guns you better have some cool solos or it will kind of lack the aggression and passion factor.

By the way I love STP's first album and it has no solos in any song.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 09:49:53 AM »

Rock is all about the solos... If you don't have solos ur going to sound like Lame Bizkids or Stinkin' Park.. OR your song must be so cool with such a catchy riff that nobody notices Grin
Solos don't necessarily have to be fast, The first and second November Rain solos are easy and they rock, so...

Fuck 'Em All.
Rhythm-n-Booze
Headliner

Nice shoes.

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 03:58:01 PM »

Throw in as many guitar solos in one song as possible.  ok
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 04:31:12 PM »

Throw in as many guitar solos in one song as possible.? ok

lol, actually I don't agree. Throw in a guitar solo when nececary, if the song itself is strong enough, the lyrics the whole vibe, then it is possible to do without a guitar solo.

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 05:27:01 PM »

Solos are essential. It's the climax of the song! All of the greatest bands ever knew how to do solos. The Stones won't be remembered the way Zep and Sabbath are...
BarryMak
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2004, 12:19:11 AM »

Solos are good when called for, and even then Slash solos are only good when called for, different songs need different solos, and some songs dont need any solos.  Take the Black Crowes for instance, Amorica and Southern Harmony have some of the best TBC solos ever played by Marc Ford, and then listen to By Your Side, its just Rich Robinson, the RYTHM guitar player on the album, some have no solos and some have Rich doin what he does!  and if you really want solos you dont think you can pull off, get yourself a lead guitar player, theres no shame in it at all, plenty of awesome guys play ryhtm in a band, Keith Richards, Rich Robinson, IZZY STRADLIN, and they pretty much wrote all the songs.  I'm a Slash fan too, love that crazy drunken bastard and everything he does, but I cant pull off those leads, so I went out and found me a Lead Guitar player and my band is all the better for it.  I write the songs, he plays the solos, they're still MY songs.
Just my 2 cents
Later
Chris
BarryMak
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2004, 12:20:34 AM »

Solos are essential. It's the climax of the song! All of the greatest bands ever knew how to do solos. The Stones won't be remembered the way Zep and Sabbath are...

Bullshit, the Stones are possibly the Greatest Rock n Roll band ever, better than Sabbath, and IMO equal with Zep!!!
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2004, 01:27:03 AM »

I think a song can still rock hard without a solo. As much as I love a good solo not every song calls for one.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 05:58:45 PM »

Obviously not - but at the same time u need some really great lyrics or a killer riff to compensate, a solo gives some variety, breaks the routine up. Of course it doesn't always work, the solo doesn't need to be that pronounced but if ur doing rock n' roll i'd say it has its place.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 07:49:40 AM »

there are plently of awesome songs without solos, do what you feel is right for each song.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: