Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:14:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Guitar Tuning (for a beginner Query)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar Tuning (for a beginner Query)  (Read 3182 times)
AtariLegend
« on: October 16, 2006, 05:09:18 PM »

I got my first guitar years ago and now I?m going to get another one.

After I first got one, I didn?t know what to do (Even with an Eddie Van Halen guitar lessons video), it took me two years before I was able to get it tune.

I was wondering how long did you people take to get your first guitar in tune, and did you teach yourself.
chineseroses
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 05:31:25 PM »

i just bought an electric tuner, it tells you if the guitars in tune or not. there only about ?7
AtariLegend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 05:44:21 PM »

i just bought an electric tuner, it tells you if the guitars in tune or not. there only about ?7

So did I, I guess I just got a bad guitar. It was a gift, an Encore that cost ?100
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:47:38 PM »

Yeah dude just get a cheap tuner.....for like 20 bucks...........your guitar will probably be so out of whack if you get it on display at a cheaper place like a cd store that sells random guitars because people just beat the shit out of those and no one is there to tune them up or shit (don't fret, I bought my first guitar when I was 14 and it was a Johnson cheapo model).  Anyway, just play with it and try to get it in tune without busting the strings.  Each string will have it's on correlating letter on the tuner and it'll usually turn green when you get the string in tune.  Get them in tune then learn your simple chords and scales and practice practice practice.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
AtariLegend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 11:21:17 PM »

Great after the last 4 years, I can play G-cord, tomorow who knows.
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 11:32:09 AM »

Make sure that you strech your strings.  After you get the string in tune; pull on it about the 12th fret. Not too much; about a half inch at the most. Retune until the string doesn't go flat and that way you will not have to retune as often.  Just FYI.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 11:59:18 AM »

Make sure that you strech your strings.? After you get the string in tune; pull on it about the 12th fret. Not too much; about a half inch at the most. Retune until the string doesn't go flat and that way you will not have to retune as often.? Just FYI.

i always tune a 1/2 step down hihi but yeah yank on them to break em in...and if you cant plug into the tuner make sure there is not much background noise

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 12:32:17 PM »

Sissy girls use tuners. Learn to tune by ear, it's the only way. Period. If u are jamming with somebody (even simple chords), the first thing u do is check if both of u are in tune. You can't carry ur tuner everywhere and if u can't tune ur guitar without it, u're going to look pretty dumb.

The only real use of a tuner is when u have a lot of noise (other guitarists, drums) around u.

Fuck 'Em All.
AtariLegend
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 01:26:28 PM »

The Eddie Van Halen guitar lessons video said that too, of course it also said like if you couldn't play any of the solo's from "1984" then you were an idiot.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 01:50:47 PM »

it is nice to know how to tune a guitar yourself (but admittedly i really suck at it) but i always bring my tuner with me...stick it in the little cubby in my guitar case and there ya go, then when you jam with people then everybody use the same tuner and blam get playing. also everybody who is in tune already or the drummer can get warmed up while the rest get ready and you don't have to worry about hearing yourself peace

Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 01:56:18 PM »

Well, you look and sound like shit on stage when you're tuning buy ear.  That's why tuners have mute buttons.  Plus not everybody tunes to standard. It's great if you can, especially during practice; but,  not while performing.

Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 03:48:06 PM »

I just used a piano and my ear.

When that wasn't available, I just listened to the first note of Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter, which is an E, then went from there.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: