Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Axl's voice
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's voice  (Read 19952 times)
Kitty
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2004, 07:21:44 PM »

personally, after hearing bootlegs or whatever of him singing old and new songs, he sounds better on the new songs than the old ones.

9/20/06 9/21/06 12/15/06 2/10/12 2/12/12 2/15/12 10/20/12 10/21/12 11/2/12 11/3/12
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2004, 08:24:47 PM »

i think axl does the voice change intentionally.. maybe some experimentation? because i was just listening to the boston soundboard version of the blues again and in the beginning, his voice has that rough texture like he did in the appetite days.. so i think he can pull it off when he wants to..

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
metalhead666
Headliner

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2004, 03:59:02 PM »

It's not just his voice or face, Axl's completely changed on the inside as well. He doesn't seem like the guy i used to look up to and idolize

"If there was a new way I'd be the 1st in line, but it'd better work this time."
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2004, 05:26:38 PM »

It's not just his voice or face, Axl's completely changed on the inside as well. He doesn't seem like the guy i used to look up to and idolize

Its the same as with Smashing Pumpkins, some fans wanted them to keep doing stuff like in Siamese Dream forever, but I personally like a lot more the evolution they had in Adore and the last album. Its the same with guns, some people want them to keep on playing and sounding just like in Appetite, which in my opinion would suck. I say Axl is better than ever!
dontcry44
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2004, 05:50:10 PM »

One of the most noticible characteristics about Axl was his ability to scream at earth shattering levels and sing like a little choir boy at the same time.  With GNR back on the map and a new album soon on its way, does Axl still have the same great voice he had back in the golden years or has his voice lost its magical touch and changed to the point of people not wanting to buy his newer material?

It's hard to hold a candle.... in the cold November rain....
Evolution
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2004, 05:52:28 PM »

Try Dead Horse buddy Wink
Evolution
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2004, 05:53:56 PM »

Shit sorry buddy i just realised i actually was in Dead Horse Embarrassed

erm.... i believe it's something to do with Axl toning down his voice to avoid his raspy UYI voice he got so frequently.

Im sure others will expain better beer
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2004, 07:27:31 PM »

yeah.. i was listening to KOHD from pittsburgh 2002 and KOHD from stockholm 92/93 and vocals are totally different.. although the 2002 version is a lot more peaceful and mellow, his non textured high notes dont suite it very well.. i like the raspy version of axl's voice better BUT i would pick the new 2002 kohd over the old one any day just because of how soothing it is..

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2004, 10:02:12 PM »

I made a thread exactly like this like a month or two back.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 02:32:38 AM »

I made a thread exactly like this like a month or two back.

I actually remember your thread, the orginal poster of this one should go look for it and read all the opinions we have about this matter.
jivetalklinbitch
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 01:49:54 AM »

I am not being critical...but since we  saw the band broke up in the 93...Axl's voice has changed considerably...

I downloaded the VMA performance...I thoroughly enjoyed Axl's voice on Madagascar but his voice is not quite there....if ya know what I mean...

maybe someone could offer some insight on this...is it age or what?

I'll take any version of Axl I can get btw
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 01:55:44 AM »

Castration.  rofl
usurper
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 03:23:27 AM »

Easy question, after Oh My God was released Axl wanted to lose his trademark voice, ya know, the voice that does not want to make you tear your ears off, so he had his voice nodules removed. Damn shame, he sounds terrible and out of breath.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 03:29:53 AM »

when u tour you really do a number on your vocal cords, axl blew his throat out on the illusion tour, probably had surgery and he had to see a vocal coach to learn how to properly sing.

in concert u get his newer voice where he hits all the notes *doesnt sound like a frogs in his throat which is how most of the illusion shows sounded* and he doesnt injure or damage his voice.

on the studio record he will be able to give us all the Old sounding Axl we want, cause u can take your time and not have to perform for 2 hours everynight.

if u listen to AFD on songs like My Michelle and You're Crazy, his voice is the same as it is now for the most part, very clean, very high pitched.

people tend to forget how he sounded on Appetite, thats basically how he sounds now.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2005, 04:07:28 AM »

And now he sounds like he has some kind of a dog's toy in his throat. I like the Illusion-sound.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2005, 04:09:28 AM »

Easy question, after Oh My God was released Axl wanted to lose his trademark voice, ya know, the voice that does not want to make you tear your ears off, so he had his voice nodules removed. Damn shame, he sounds terrible and out of breath.

I ASKED YOU ONCE, and I ask you again..... cause you never replied, where did you get that??? source??

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2005, 05:05:43 AM »

I am not being critical...but since we? saw the band broke up in the 93...Axl's voice has changed considerably...

I downloaded the VMA performance...I thoroughly enjoyed Axl's voice on Madagascar but his voice is not quite there....if ya know what I mean...

maybe someone could offer some insight on this...is it age or what?

I'll take any version of Axl I can get btw

That deep, scratchy buzz-saw that was Axl faded with age and abuse with extensive touring over a decade ago.  He's still a great singer but you're right - it isn't quite the same.  I don't care what anyone says.  Listen to him from the Ritz 1988 show or any of the Illusion shows and contrast that with Rio 2001 or the 2002 tour.  You can easily tell a difference as you noted immediately after watching the 2002 VMA's.  You can hear flashes of the old Axl at times but he is very different now.  I just hope that "Chinese Democracy" is produced well enough to cover some of it up as "Oh My God" was.

shaved
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2005, 05:17:17 AM »

I usually do not like high pitched singing unless there is some "venom" to it.  I agree that most of the old axl is gone now,, and it is replaced with his newers style.  I think it's great that he is able to sing for a long durationof time without blowing his vocal chords out.. but I would much rather have a "use your illusions" axl than a "clear notes, high pitched choir boy" we have now. 

In all honesty, some of the new bootlegs I have heard sound really good to me.  At times he sounds great, and i get those goosebumps like I always did when I crank up gnr, so I think that he will sound pretty good on the album.  If he is able to harness the old axl for the studio, then I can accept him holding back his voice on stage. 
usurper
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2005, 05:34:11 AM »

I ASKED YOU ONCE, and I ask you again..... cause you never replied, where did you get that??? source??

Search articles, I can'tbe bothered to search it out.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2005, 05:44:03 AM »

Search articles, I can'tbe bothered to search it out.

yeah right, I don't believe it then.  Tongue

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: