Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 12:00:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227946 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VR Review - Milwaukee Show
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR Review - Milwaukee Show  (Read 2385 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: January 26, 2008, 09:42:36 PM »

Guns' hits stir Velvet Revolver's audience

Extended show covers 3 decades of rock

By NATHAN WALLIN
Special to the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jan. 26, 2008

Velvet Revolver, the guns-and-grunge hybrid formed by core members of Guns N' Roses and the lead singer of the Stone Temple Pilots, gave hope when it formed that such a talented lineup would restore rock to its rightful place atop the American music scene.

The band - composed of Guns N' Roses' Slash on lead guitar, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum, along with Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland and well-traveled guitarist Dave Kushner - has fulfilled that hope, sort of.

Velvet Revolver's show on Friday at the Rave ran almost three hours and covered three decades of rock music.

Curiously though, save for one original Velvet Revolver number - the night's finale, "Slither" - one got the impression that the crowd patiently and politely listened through, not to, VR's own songs.

It was as if the audience was hoping to be treated to a better, earlier brand of rock.

While a few of Velvet Revolver's singles - "Fall to Pieces," "She's Mine" and "Let it Roll" - spurred the crowd into a mild clamor, it was the Guns N' Roses tracks "Patience" and "Mr. Brownstone" and the Pilots' "Vaseline" that won the obligatory cigarette-lighters salute. The cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" might have drawn the greatest response, with Weiland leading the crowd through the refrain.

The show began energetically with three of Velvet Revolver's stronger tracks.

After the opening, Weiland nearly lost the entire audience during the usual meet-and-greet interlude when he stuck his foot in his mouth and addressed the crowd "Chi . . . CA . . . go . . . " He was met with a barrage of boos.

Realizing his interstate slip, he offered an apology by way of explaining that he woke up in Chicago earlier in the day and was slightly out of sorts. Ultimately, the insult was forgiven and forgotten, and the show went on.

Weiland later made a point to belt out "Milwaukee, let's go!" to remind everyone he (now) knew where he was.

A confident showman in command of the crowd, Weiland sported a full beard and sunglasses and wore a blaze orange vest with a fur-lined hood, giving the impression that he had checked the area weather forecast, if not the area weather map. As the show progressed, he coaxed the audience into singing with him, climbed atop a speaker and gradually shed layers of clothing until he rendered himself shirtless.

Slash still holds stature as one of the top guitarists in rock.

With his signature black top hat resting on his long black curls, he treated the crowd to two guitar solos (one played almost entirely behind his head) and a handful of well-aged favorites from early days.

For a musician who once prowled the stage from end to end while playing football stadiums in the 1990s, he seemed a bit caged in by the smaller confines of the stage at the Rave.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=711573

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:34:19 AM »

Guns' hits stir Velvet Revolver's audience

Extended show covers 3 decades of rock

By NATHAN WALLIN
Special to the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jan. 26, 2008

After the opening, Weiland nearly lost the entire audience during the usual meet-and-greet interlude when he stuck his foot in his mouth and addressed the crowd "Chi . . . CA . . . go . . . " He was met with a barrage of boos.

Spinal Tap moment?  hihi

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »

Another review...this time Dallas.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Concert Review: Velvet Revolver

By Justin Smith

I don't know why it didn't occur to me before. It should have been obvious. Maybe it's because artists tend to gravitate away from playing songs they wrote years ago, despite a nostalgic audience aching to hear them again. Whatever the reason, it simply did not occur to me that seeing a Velvet Revolver show might also mean seeing a Stone Temple Pilots show and a Guns N' Roses show. Luckily for those who made it out to the House of Blues on Wednesday night...

Unfortunately we arrived after the fourth song, so I don't know how Scott, Slash, and the rest started out. I can, however, report the following: from the fifth song on, this concert was one hit after the next from all three bands.

From the Stone Temple Pilots cadre we got Vaseline, Interstate Love Song, and Sex Type Thing. They sounded as tight and professional as any version by the previous lineup (I saw STP back in 1993). They also managed an aggressive GN'R set, rocking out with Patience, Mr. Brownstone, and the most intense version of It's So Easy by far. One could actually feel the anger and the contempt from the lyrics as frontman Scott Weiland glared at the audience, substituting "Suck my dick!" for the original "Fuck off!"

The Velvet Revolver originals were good. However, I must admit that the "covers" were the high points of the evening, including the encore opener, Wish You Were Here.

All the requisite rock star characteristics were in play. The three stringers replaced their instruments as much as Elizabeth Taylor switched husbands. Weiland was characteristic enough for us to forgive his inability to remember lyrics and entrances. And finally, Slash's precision in soloing was, is, and will always be, unparalleled in the field of blues/rock.

Next time they roll through this city, or any city you live near for that matter, do yourself a favor. Go. And get ready to rock.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2008/jan/30/concert-review-velvet-revolver/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »

Pfffffffffffffftht. This suggests that, at times, I might not be ready to rock. I am ready to rock at any given moment!
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »

Another review...this time Dallas.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Concert Review: Velvet Revolver

By Justin Smith

I don't know why it didn't occur to me before. It should have been obvious. Maybe it's because artists tend to gravitate away from playing songs they wrote years ago, despite a nostalgic audience aching to hear them again. Whatever the reason, it simply did not occur to me that seeing a Velvet Revolver show might also mean seeing a Stone Temple Pilots show and a Guns N' Roses show. Luckily for those who made it out to the House of Blues on Wednesday night...

Unfortunately we arrived after the fourth song, so I don't know how Scott, Slash, and the rest started out. I can, however, report the following: from the fifth song on, this concert was one hit after the next from all three bands.

From the Stone Temple Pilots cadre we got Vaseline, Interstate Love Song, and Sex Type Thing. They sounded as tight and professional as any version by the previous lineup (I saw STP back in 1993). They also managed an aggressive GN'R set, rocking out with Patience, Mr. Brownstone, and the most intense version of It's So Easy by far. One could actually feel the anger and the contempt from the lyrics as frontman Scott Weiland glared at the audience, substituting "Suck my dick!" for the original "Fuck off!"

The Velvet Revolver originals were good. However, I must admit that the "covers" were the high points of the evening, including the encore opener, Wish You Were Here.

All the requisite rock star characteristics were in play. The three stringers replaced their instruments as much as Elizabeth Taylor switched husbands. Weiland was characteristic enough for us to forgive his inability to remember lyrics and entrances. And finally, Slash's precision in soloing was, is, and will always be, unparalleled in the field of blues/rock.

Next time they roll through this city, or any city you live near for that matter, do yourself a favor. Go. And get ready to rock.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2008/jan/30/concert-review-velvet-revolver/

Hey, I was there. The venue was great, the crowd was enthusiastic, and the band was on fire. It was a great, great concert. I've seen VR 4 times and this was the best except for 2004 when we were in the first row. Slash was in top form from start to finish. The band did some new stuff from Sept '07 when I saw them last time (Blues Jam, Wish you were here, American man, Vasoline). Everything was great and the band seemed to have fun, and Slash was really the star, playing behind his head and starring on several solos. So it was with shock and sadness I heard that a few days later Scott was in rehab and the tour was canceled. Really, if you want to have a great time, and if you want your ears to be ringing two days later (!) see this band. Hopefully, we have not seen the last of VR.

Having said that, I am still fucking waiting for GNR to come to Big-D for the first time since fucking 1991!!!!!

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: