Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Hired Guns?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hired Guns?  (Read 25173 times)
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2005, 06:02:40 PM »

I agree that the new lineup is a bunch of hired 'guns', but I think you are underestimating how much they are involved in the creative process. I'm sure that someone like Tommy Stinson was picked in part for his songwriting ability. I think some people give Axl way to much credit for the creative process... he wasn't the only (and dare I say main) songwriter in the old lineup. Infact he has yet to release an album without Izzy..........

really...Huh? well what was the spaghetti incident??? a cheesecake?? no it was an album.

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2005, 06:06:13 PM »

An album of covers, though.

Nothing original

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2005, 06:56:25 PM »

hey Coma ,

english is not my first language dude and also i have not to use geordie on the fuckin net. try now. heh
Sorry, wan't trying to poke fun at your english, I just couldn't figure out where you were going with that post.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2005, 06:59:52 PM »

I agree that the new lineup is a bunch of hired 'guns', but I think you are underestimating how much they are involved in the creative process. I'm sure that someone like Tommy Stinson was picked in part for his songwriting ability. I think some people give Axl way to much credit for the creative process... he wasn't the only (and dare I say main) songwriter in the old lineup. Infact he has yet to release an album without Izzy..........

really...Huh? well what was the spaghetti incident??? a cheesecake?? no it was an album.

Did Axl write Hair of the Dog
Did Axl write Since I Dont Have You
Did Axl write Look at Your Game

Did any of the members that recorded that album conrtibute to writing any of that material??

NO

So Axl hasn't released an 'original' Album without Izzy as a writing partner.

Thanks
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2005, 08:45:10 PM »

"So Axl hasn't released an 'original' Album without Izzy as a writing partner."

those cheesecakes and those albums...and those topics. so what is a big deal that axl hasnt done that??

It means everyone acts like he was the driving creative force in the old band, when in fact Izzy wrote the majority of the material.....

Everyone instantly use's the the Snake Pit albums and various other solo projects to say "Look Axl is the only talented one", just wait till his solo album is released before you crown him greatest song writer in the history of music.

mike_giuliana
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 07:08:24 AM »

blah blah blah
i love its 5 o clock somewhere..it has killer solos and pretty nice songs imo ...as for the debate with axl ... i leave u alone this time .? Cheesy

Axl is like a fine wine he gets better with age?? Nice quote in your sig, but how does that hold up to the truth? So you like the first snakepit album,... Nice to know..
I feel the entire cd hype gets over done, cd is the most overrated album ever because people proclaim in great and say stupid shit like it will outsell afd and so on, yet no one has even heard the album yet.. As for what we heard I don't even count irs.. But people did act like it was the seocnd coming when they heard the 32 second clip, round 2, cd starts now hihi Rhiad, oh my god silkworms suck.. His rhiad live is terrible.. If I had to pick the better three it would be cd ,blues maddy.. I still think he can do much better and look forward to seeing what he has done.. beer
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 07:12:05 AM by mike_giuliana » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 07:13:20 AM »

Gilby Clarke and Matt Sorum... There's some "hired guns" for you.

People seem to forget that.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 07:31:32 AM »

Yeah, I would really like to listen to Axl's solo album. Out in 2059? Without Izzy, the band is useless for writing music. And the new band.. they are all hired guns  Roll Eyes

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2005, 08:23:56 AM »

And the new band.. they are all hired guns? Roll Eyes
Slash and Steven were "hired guns" at first too. The only "original members" of the band on AFD were Axl, Izzy and Duff if you really want to be anal about it.

It may seem like a redundant and obvious point but here goes: NEWSFLASH - Things change.
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2005, 08:48:32 AM »

/jarmo

Yes Agreed both those guys were hired guns

But how does that deny the fact that the ENTIRE band currently is hired guns whereas back then Izzy,Slash.and  Duff all had a great deal of imput and hold over which direction GNR went , what they said and what was released.....that fell by the wayside and the band consequently fell apart as they couldnt handle being 'hired guns' with no say. Izzy being the first and probably the most able to stand up to Axl.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Warren
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2005, 08:54:37 AM »

/jarmo

As long Axl, Slash and Duff were in the band it was not an issue.

Since 1996, Axl has started something that has nothing to do with Guns N'Roses calling that Guns N'Roses. That's an issue.
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2005, 08:55:53 AM »

As long Axl, Slash and Duff were in the band it was not an issue.

Since 1996, Axl has started something that has nothing to do with Guns N'Roses calling that Guns N'Roses. That's an issue.
Cry
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2005, 09:06:54 AM »

well musicans who worked in newgnr are very good musicans.Buckethead and tommy stinson are very talented.But the real question is do you know how music starts!!!
Well as we know Axl didn't play guitar parts in old and in new songgs.Axl didn't play drums and bass too.Maybe Axl had idea of the songs,but other musican have a big part in guns n roses music.

I like Axl and that guy is genious,but as tommy said he gave to other musican a lot of space to introduce themselves

I have never seen so many tree
madagas
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2005, 09:10:52 AM »

Coma, it is a fact admitted by ALL band members in court documents that Axl had most of the writing credits-42% of the catalog. Izzy was next but it was BELOW Axl. Since nobody on this fucking board was there during the recording sessions, no one really knows what happened. We can only go on official testimony of the band members and the writing credits/publishing credits. Last time I checked, Izzy wasn't getting 19 million for his publishing deal. Seems to me that people like to exagerrate a little too much about Izzy. Back to the topic, the new guys are hired Guns-so what? Still a cool band. As for the old band, it was more of a collaboration on mixing, mastering and determining what tracks would be on the albums. But again, so what? We can't judge or make any comparisons because Axl won't release anything. No way to know what method is better until you hear the finished product. Angry Angry
discobiscuit1
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2005, 09:12:35 AM »

The old guns guys would often refer to Gns n Roses as a 'family'. This family fell apart. The simple logic is you dont get a new family and try and mould it or name it after the previous family. Logic says if you arent living in the past and have self esteem, you accept the new people for who they are and create something new.
As Brain lamented in a recent interview, he has less freedom in GNR than other projects because he's expected to do drum fills in the way that people expect it should be done ...in the GNR style. So much for not being a hired gun.

How can a group of musicians let the creative juices flow when they are living undr the shadow of a legend??when they dont have ownership or the ability to be genuinely honest without the possibility of being fired??

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2005, 09:15:57 AM »

Coma, it is a fact admitted by ALL band members in court documents that Axl had most of the writing credits-42% of the catalog. Izzy was next but it was BELOW Axl.
You're forgetting that the writing credits were applied according to the scheme that Slash came up with during the AFD sessions. While Axl may have 42% of the credits, we're still not sure how their crediting system worked. If Axl just wrote lyrics and vocal melodies for 84% of the tracks, that could be worth 42% of the total credits, we don't know.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2005, 09:22:14 AM »

As Brain lamented in a recent interview,
I haven't seen the interview. where is it?

So then, you think you have more things to do with GN'R than Axl or the new guys you calling hired guns do, huh?
discobiscuit1
Rocker

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2005, 09:37:55 AM »

As Brain lamented in a recent interview,
I haven't seen the interview. where is it?

Honestly I dont know where it is or who conducted the interview...eprhaps someone else who read it can help. I think it may have either been a drum mag ...the question was along the lines of 'you play in many projects which one is closest to your style?...and he answered bucket of bernie brains or whatever that project is cos in GNR he is somewhat compelled to play in a style that fits GNR and has to 'play fill in that style'.....that is my recollection.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2005, 09:50:27 AM »

Thanks a lot.

But I guess you misread it.  Tongue

I've read Brains interview where he's saying he's very eager to back to GN'R with the release of Chinese Democracy coz then he won't be a hired gun or something along those lines.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2005, 09:59:29 AM »

well i will compare axl with coach of chelsea jose murihno.they are geniuos,they have a great sucess,they are visionars,you could love them or hate them nothing in the midlle,and everybody talks shit about them but everybodys respect them.

So in my thoughts axl isn't dracula or something else,he is the man who likes job which he do and man who is perfectionist.

I have never seen so many tree
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: