Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rank "Chinese" from top to bottom....best to least liked...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank "Chinese" from top to bottom....best to least liked...  (Read 25182 times)
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »

This I Love
Prostitute
Madagascar
Better
Shacklers
cd
The Blues
if the world
Sorry
TWAT
Catcher
irs
Scraped
RIAD

mojoeye
Banned
Headliner

Everything is true, always.

« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2008, 11:31:36 PM »

1. Prostitute
2. T.W.A.T. or Madagascar
3. Catcher in the Rye
4. Street of Dreams
5. Better
6. If the World
7. Riad
8. This I Love
9. I.R.S.
10. Sorry
11. Chinese Democracy
12. Shackler's
13. Scraped
Mighty Mouse
Opening Act

« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »

1."Shackler's Revenge"
2."Prostitute"
3."Better"
4."If The World"
5."Chinese Democracy"
6."Scraped"
7."There Was A Time"
8."Madagascar"
9."Sorry"
10."Riad N' The Bedouins"
11."Street Of Dreams"
12."Catcher In The Rye"
13."I.R.S."
14."This I Love"
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2008, 07:11:50 AM »

1 Prostitute (only criticism is overly produced vocals otherwise awesome)
2 Better ( only criticism is the middle 'metal' section....just out of place....and really kinda shitty
3 If the world ( production is AWESOME) - production minimal....less is more Axl....a good balance here......very heartfelt....either u get it or u dont
4 IRS (fantastic song...like a great Zep song with GNR attitude.....some lyrics are cheesy and the production is muffled and far below If the world / CD production wise...sounds like a demo quality wise??? and a fe too many keyboards when guitar crunch was required)
5 This I love ( cheesy as hell but I love it still) again -production minimal....less is more Axl....a good balance here......very heartfelt....either u get it or u dont
6 Street of dreams (shoulda been number 1....they slowed it down...went from great pop song...to pretty good rock ballad....massive shame....The first minute or so sucks...Axls vocals are overboard for what was required and his vocals at one point are so obviously altered(where he says the bluueee..ohhh ohhh ohh uuues)...then the body of the song kicks in ( from i wander through my days onwards) and its still very good)
7 Chinese democracy (really a crap song....great opening riff....but after that...meh......The production is awesome and played sooo well, great guitars....takes a 5/10 song and makes it a 8/10 song)
8 Sorry....pretty good but meh
9 Scraped (amazing vocals....still the basis of the song isnt great again but great vocals.....the last minute or so drags it down)
10 Rhiad ( coulda been close to Jungle but 1...whats he on about??....2 The guitars...no dynamics....3...ohh my frustration part sucks....
11 Shacklers ( awesome disco beat...the rest sucks)
12 Catcher ( How to take a good simple songs and destroy it by overproduction....and then have a brilliant soslo and replace it by somehting MASSIVELY inferior......a crime against what should have been in the top 5 on the album
13 Madagascar ( a good song....overly long for what it has to offer....the vocals, my god the vocals......like seeing a fat old guy in a muscle shirt.....Sorry, the vaerage guy on the street can sing better, so wobbly )
14 TWAT ( like a song written by a commitee.....like they meshed 5 good bits of diff songs into one and it doesnt gel....the vocals are weak and hard to listen to....and suprisingly the production is very poor.....plus drags on and on

CD 7.7/10
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:27:27 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2008, 07:26:15 AM »

You seem very insistent on telling everyone how 'average' the album is.

Go troll somewhere else.
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2008, 07:33:48 AM »

What are you on about???

Ive said its excellent in nearly every post

Constructive criticism is just that constructive criticism...perhaps i do it too much because it seems noone make any comments other than its awesome/ perfect......trolling my arse.
I have constructive criticisms about nearly every album i own.....im analytical by nature.

The only albums I have NO criticism of are AFD a few albums you prob have never heard of and OK computer...and perhaps a Nick Cave album

You seriously want me to rate it 10/10 if i honestly really enjoy it but rate it 7.75?? as ive sais earlier I rate CD equal to Illusion II....or isnt that high enough??? I will try and offer more positivity but christ when was honest opinion a crime??

If everyone on here just agrees and goes oh my god its awesome i cry every time i play it blah blah wouldnt it become a boring 'forum'Huh?
Ive read this forum for years and rarely post as i enjoy reading opins that DIFFER from mine....i suggest you learn that quality.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:35:41 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
Uzi76
Headliner

Despite everything, all is beautiful

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »

1- This I love
2- Better
3- Madagascar
4- Catcher in the Rye
5- Sorry
6- There was a Time
7- Street of Deams
8- If the World
9- IRS
10- Prostitute
11- Shackler's Revenge
12- Chinese Democracy
13- Scraped
14- Rhiad n' Bedoiuns

Numbers 4, 5 and 6 are very close to each other and will change positions as time goes by. Also Shackler is a song that still has to grow on me and I see it going up in the future.

Remember in this game we call life that noone said it's fair.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2008, 11:55:41 AM »

What are you on about???

I'm on about the fact that you don't know what you're talking about:

Overly produced? That means what exactly?

4 IRS (fantastic song...like a great Zep song with GNR attitude.....some lyrics are cheesy and the production is muffled and far below If the world / CD production wise...sounds like a demo quality wise??? and a fe too many keyboards when guitar crunch was required)

Muffled how? Maybe you should get some sort of decent listening equipment, everything's clear on this end.

Define. Meh means nothing.

9 Scraped (amazing vocals....still the basis of the song isnt great again but great vocals.....the last minute or so drags it down)

Basis of the song, which part would that be exactly? The killer riff or the great drums or what?
I mean, you really haven't explained anything here.

10 Rhiad ( coulda been close to Jungle but 1...whats he on about??....2 The guitars...no dynamics....3...ohh my frustration part sucks....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

12 Catcher ( How to take a good simple songs and destroy it by overproduction....and then have a brilliant soslo and replace it by somehting MASSIVELY inferior......a crime against what should have been in the top 5 on the album

Overproduction? Again, what do you mean?

13 Madagascar ( a good song....overly long for what it has to offer....the vocals, my god the vocals......like seeing a fat old guy in a muscle shirt.....Sorry, the vaerage guy on the street can sing better, so wobbly )

You're an average guy on the street; sing better.

14 TWAT ( like a song written by a commitee.....like they meshed 5 good bits of diff songs into one and it doesnt gel....the vocals are weak and hard to listen to....and suprisingly the production is very poor.....plus drags on and on

Do you even know what production is?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »

^ Also, Riad's guitars are one of the most dynamic things on this album, with all sort of layers, progressions, tempo and tone. That was really a dumb statement.

Stewie Griffin
Opening Act

« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »

1. Better
2. Sorry
3. Riad N' The Bedouins
4. Prostitute
5. TWAT
6. Scraped
7. Shackler's Revenge
8. Chinese Democracy
9. Madagascar
10. IRS
11. Street Of Dreams
12. If The World
13. Catcher In The Rye
14. This I Love

Stewie: Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch.
Perfect Criminal
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »

1. Sorry
2. IRS
3. Scraped
4. Better
5. Prostitute
6. If The World
7. This I Love
8. Street Of Dreams
9. Shackler's Revenge
10. TWAT
11. Chinese Democracy
12. Catcher In The Rye
13. Riad N' The Bedouins
14. Madagascar
GnRStL09
Opening Act

« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2008, 12:00:23 PM »

1)  Better
2)  Shackler's Revenge
3)  Sorry
4)  Street of Dreams
5)  I.R.S.
6)  Catcher in the Rye
7)  Chinese Democracy
8 )  There was a Time
9)  Madagascar
10) Scraped
11) Riad N' the Bedouins
12)  This I Love
13)  If the World
14)  Prostitute
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2008, 08:03:33 AM »

What are you on about???

Well thats an opinion not fact......Im allowed to have MY opinion,its not something you can argue factually......What exactly dont i know??? That its perfect and anyone with a different point of view must just be ignorant?

You dont understand the concept of overproduction???  Ok, sometimes when you add too much synthetic effects or too digitally alter vocals or organic instruments it can take the organic nature away a little too much....its a subjective thing...and in my OPINION...and just my opinion there are ELEMENTS that I personally prefer a little less 'cooked'. Id generally would prefer Joy Division to Def Leppard say (an extreme example)

Muffled how? Maybe you should get some sort of decent listening equipment, everything's clear on this end.

Well my brother records his music in my basement, we have about $50,000 worth of recording equipment including headphones worth $500 a piece....Im just saying that elements of the track have less clarity and defenition compared to some other tracks.....Ive had a few musician friends independantly mention this.....Im not being nasty ....just an observation. It may just be that the song is recorded at a different time /studio??? Id have to check the booklet. But the production seems inconsistent over the album (yes im being picky)

A little like ho hum....like hmmm doesnt really hit me........a lot of my fave songs I didnt click with initially.....I may adore sorry in a year....just my initial reaction was Meh.

Basis of the song, which part would that be exactly? The killer riff or the great drums or what?

Just my opinion....The drums are fantastic...the vocals are great....I cant explain that....The SONG just doesnt really grab me despite the excellent elements....not that I should have to justify personal musical taste. The performance is great, the song itself doesnt do that much for me .

Christ....I know what a metaphor is......doesnt clarify the meaning for me though....All I meant by that comment is if the listener cant relate on an emotional /intellectual level because the emotion or message is difficult to grasp then its a little harder to relate to.

I mean that IMO.....there are some songs that cry out for a more simple recording....I personally adore the acoustic version of your crazy....lets say you add 3 more layers of vocals, strings, synth a section with looping kazoo done with seriously heavy reverb. Record this 1000 times live taking the best 3 seconds of each recording...then pasting those 'best bits' together in Pro Tools.........THAT would be overproduction and I guarantee nowhere near as magical as the more simple version.
I just personally feel that the brilliance of the song became a little hidden with so many layers.
A personal choice...I think November rain would be a better song if recorder just with piano, 3 violins a cello and the band. Almost like a Skin N Bones version recorded live in a Theatre.

I couldnt hit those notes but , drop by I'll grab you a beer , we can go down to my cellar and see how i go Smiley Again I just find that song very difficult to listen to due to the strained vocals. Its my story and Im sticking to it Smiley Apologies for the blasphemy Smiley
Axl just sounds like he's seriously struggling on this one and IMO would have been better if he used a voice he finds easier to use.

quote author=carmiedisco12 link=topic=54466.msg1149558#msg1149558 date=1229949228]

Do you?? Perhaps I should patronise you back by pasting a wikipedia link Smiley

« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 08:37:51 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #153 on: December 25, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »

My list

1)   There was a Time

2)  Catcher in the Rye
3)  I.R.S.
4) This I Love
5)  Chinese Democracy
6)  Better
7)  Madagascar
 8 ) Street of Dreams
 9)   Scraped
10) Riad N' the Bedouins
11) Prostitute
12) Shackler's Revenge
13) If the World
14)  Sorry
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2008, 04:11:58 PM »

After listening to this album for a month, I still can't completely come to a conclusion, but here's my list right now:

1.  If The World
2.  This I Love
3.  Sorry
4.  Shackler's Revenge
5.  Better
6.  Prostitute
7.  Madagascar
8.  Street of Dreams
9.  Catcher in the Rye
10. There Was A Time
11. Chinese Democracy
12. Scraped
13. Rhiad
14. IRS

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2008, 06:45:22 PM »

CD 7.7/10

I'm all for disagreeing and recognizing different tastes, for example i happen to like the solo in Catcher, but i've heard others like you who disagree.... but what i can't believe you said is that the vocals on TWAT are weak and hard to listen to!  Shocked
The vocals at the end of the song are sick! Even Axl said they're some of his favorite on the album.

I also think you were way too harsh on the Madagascar vocals. I like them and think they suit the song, but even if you don't, you can't really think Axl was "straining" can you? I'm pretty sure in studio, with all the time in the world, he got the vocals he wanted on the song and could have done different if he wanted. Maybe you preferred a live version or something, but let's not pretend Axl released a studio recording with strained vocals, as if he would have done better if he could have.

Anyway, how i rank the songs on CD changes almost everyday, but today it's something like this:

1. Better
2. Prostitute
3. Street of Dreams
4. This I Love
5. I.R.S
6. There Was a Time
7. Madagascar
8. Sorry
9. Chinese Democracy
10. Catcher in the Rye
11. Scraped
12. Shackler's Revenge
13. If the World
14. Rhiad
circusboy666
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2008, 01:06:15 AM »

first listen                                 one month later
1-prostitute                             1-prostitute(E)
2-madagascar                         2-sorry(+10)
3-riad and the bedouins          3-shacklers(+2)
4-street of dreams                  4-scraped(+9)
5-shacklers                              5-chinese democracy(+1)
6-chinese democracy               6-irs(+3)
7-better                                   7-madagascar(-5)
8-if the world                           8-street of dreams   (-4)           
9-irs                                         9-better(-2)
10-twat                                   10-riad and the bedouins(-7)
11-catcher in the rye               11-twat(-1)
12-sorry                                   12-this i love(+2)
13-scraped                              13-if the world(-5)
14-this i love                            14-catcher in the rye(-3)
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »

What are you on about???

Overproduction? Again, what do you mean?

Wow. That's a lot of complaining about someone's honest opinion of the album.
And you don't know what 'overly produced' means?!
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »

Yes thanks, doing a degree in it certainly helps.

I do know what over-produced means, I just happen to believe slathering that label on this album as some people enjoy doing is completely wrong.

The production on the album is simply extremely polished, there's a difference.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: