Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 09:46:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  CD returns to Best Buy ad...$7.99
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD returns to Best Buy ad...$7.99  (Read 26076 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2009, 09:27:07 AM »

I disagree. Will a video really help sales? Where can you even find a video on TV anymore? I guess it would help in the sense that it will finally put an official face on the "new gnr"...even though the 2 lead guitarists are gone. Sometimes I think that because of that Axl is really in no rush to do anything big. How can he promote a lineup that is always changing?

Reznor does it with NIN.  I can be done....the question is:  Do they (or does Axl) WANT to do it that way.  I suspect not. But it CAN be done.
Exactly, I think Axl has made it clear that he doesn't want it to be all about him.  He wants the band to get their just due, especially since the alumni are so well respected in the rock genre.  The new guys deserve that same respect, but I'm sure Robin's departure threw a hitch into whatever plans they may have had.  It's one thing for Buckethead to have left 5 years ago, you could still sell the album with Robin having been in the band for over 10 years and Ron coming in to fill in for Bucket.  But it's a much tougher sell when both the main guitarists on the album are no longer in the band and one of the current guitarists isn't on the album at all and joined months ago.  It's not a favorable situation obviously.  I'm sure there are ways to get it done, but it doesn't appear they've found the right way just yet, or else the timing just isn't right.  At least that's the way it seems to me.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01:36 AM »

I disagree. Will a video really help sales? Where can you even find a video on TV anymore? I guess it would help in the sense that it will finally put an official face on the "new gnr"...even though the 2 lead guitarists are gone. Sometimes I think that because of that Axl is really in no rush to do anything big. How can he promote a lineup that is always changing?

Reznor does it with NIN.  I can be done....the question is:  Do they (or does Axl) WANT to do it that way.  I suspect not. But it CAN be done.
Exactly, I think Axl has made it clear that he doesn't want it to be all about him.  He wants the band to get their just due, especially since the alumni are so well respected in the rock genre.  The new guys deserve that same respect, but I'm sure Robin's departure threw a hitch into whatever plans they may have had.  It's one thing for Buckethead to have left 5 years ago, you could still sell the album with Robin having been in the band for over 10 years and Ron coming in to fill in for Bucket.  But it's a much tougher sell when both the main guitarists on the album are no longer in the band and one of the current guitarists isn't on the album at all and joined months ago.  It's not a favorable situation obviously.  I'm sure there are ways to get it done, but it doesn't appear they've found the right way just yet, or else the timing just isn't right.  At least that's the way it seems to me.
are you kidding me?  I am breaking my rule, I hate the old vs new thing BUT:  How exactly does a new revolving line up deserve the same respect?  The old band EARNED respect. They didnt get it for hanging out with Axl.  THEY toured the hell out of the ALBUMS they released, they had multiple hits on the radio, huge videoes, were always on the cover of rock mags, people knew there names and who they were.  When bands of today talk about the gnr influence, we all know they are talking about Axl, duff, Izzy, and slash, and stephen. You dont just get respect for calling yourself gnr.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2009, 01:18:52 PM »

True, but NIN is known as a solo band more or less. Axl has been adament about this being a complete  band effort. Obviously its an Axl solo effort at this point but I dont think he would want to promote it that way. Which is partly why I think he has layed low.

The old band and the old new band earned their stripes out on the road and in the studio. The newest  lineup has a lot of catching up to do with two new leads. Its ashame the whole situation ended up like this.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »

You completely missed my point. 

Let's try it again.  Axl wants the new lineup to be accepted and respected by the public.  He doesn't want people to view GNR as Axl Rose and others.  Along the way some things have happened that have stalled the process.

Of course the current lineup hasn't reached the level of success of the alumni.  But I don't think Axl got a bunch of guys together with the intention of them not getting respect.  And I would assume that's still the plan until the end is declared.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2009, 03:22:50 PM »

Let's try it again.  Axl wants the new lineup to be accepted and respected by the public.  He doesn't want people to view GNR as Axl Rose and others.  Along the way some things have happened that have stalled the process.

Of course the current lineup hasn't reached the level of success of the alumni.  But I don't think Axl got a bunch of guys together with the intention of them not getting respect.  And I would assume that's still the plan until the end is declared.

If this is the case then the band needs to be seen by the public in order to be respected by said public.  With the revolving door of 999 players on CD it is and will be viewed as Axl and the band. 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2009, 09:06:53 PM »

If this is the case then the band needs to be seen by the public in order to be respected by said public.  With the revolving door of 999 players on CD it is and will be viewed as Axl and the band. 
I agree, however this whole process and album hasn't exactly been smooth sailing and I'm quite certain hasn't gone quite as planned.  Axl's original vision was that 2001/02 lineup and that's what most of Chinese Democracy consists of.  I'm sure he didn't plan on Bucket leaving.  But they brought Ron onboard to replace him.  Brain left, again not something Axl probably envisioned.  Frank came in to take his place.  Then Robin fled and just recently DJ has been added to the fold.  So the question is how do you introduce the current lineup properly?  I don't think it's an easy task.  Even if they were on tour and making videos and public appearances, people would be complaining about how it's not even the same band as the one that made CD.  As in a lot of situations, Axl just can't win. 

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »

How surprising to see certain fans think Best Buy and everybody else besides the band did a great job. Business as usual.

"We're GN'R fans and it's always (only) their fault"!  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
John Galt
Rocker

Peace Sells... But still no one is buying goddamit

« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:22 AM »

How surprising to see certain fans think Best Buy and everybody else besides the band did a great job. Business as usual.

/jarmo

How about this that everyone involved in the CD launch has done a rather shoddy job ....
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2009, 11:37:07 AM »

/jarmo

I fail to see how that attitude is any different than the band doing nothing and blaming everyone else.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2009, 02:50:12 PM »

The band probably knows a whole lot more about what goes on than you or I do.

If they want to blame somebody/something, they probably have a good reason to.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
savedsol
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2009, 03:35:57 PM »

The band probably knows a whole lot more about what goes on than you or I do.

That doesn't stop the fact that Best Buy got HOSED. They undoubtedly paid for this album which is the exclusive of exclusives to be on par with Walmart's efforts. In turn they received a couple of weak TV commercials, no band support (press, intereviews, appearances), no tour, no video, etc, etc. Regardless of what ANYBODY says about what "we don't know" the way this release was treated for Best Buy and the fans was beyond pathetic. Sorry Jarmo, my fanboyism and optimism has to stop sometime. I love the album, love the band, will see them when (or rather if) they tour but I can't defend them for sticking Best Buy with hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of albums they now have to take a hit on.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »

They got an exclusive album. And how did they sell it? They put a cardboard display in the stores for maybe a week.

Sometimes, like in West Hollywood, CA, it was behind their display of the latest non-exclusive Will Smith DVD.....

confused

I wonder if they're currently displaying Michael Jackson cds in good locations throughout their stores....

Not a new release or an exclusive.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:12:50 PM by jarmo » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »

They got an exclusive album. And how did they sell it? They put a cardboard display in the stores for maybe a week.

Sometimes, like i West Hollywood, CA, it was behind their display of the latest non-exclusive Will Smith DVD.....

confused

I wonder if they're currently displaying Michael Jackson cds in good locations throughout their stores....

Not a new release or an exclusive.

/jarmo

They are displaying Michael Jackson CD's on endcaps in the music section.  That and Chickenfoot/Van Halen.  You'd think they'd replace the VH with GNR since Chinese Democracy is their exclusive.  But no.

Also, I'll agree that I'm sure Best Buy didn't expect things to unfold quite like they have when they came to terms for the exclusive.  In fact I don't think Axl, GNR, or anyone expected things to happen as they have.  But they have.  And Best Buy still has exclusive rights, so if and when things start happening they'll still be able to reap whatever benefits are to be had.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:50:33 PM by faldor » Logged

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »

/jarmo
I know it got old for me vary fast most likly I think that some of the people working for GN'R (Im not saying its any of the band members) must either be incompatint, Best Buy barely promoted CD so they get some blame to, and finaly I think Dr. Peper should have some blame to they barely did any coms about their deal I dont care what the Dr. said they didnt fufill their promise their sever prob could only hold 10,000 people and they were just trying to use GN'R not with this story as much in America but to the rest of the world

if there are 2 things I think a good amout of Americans (since I am American I think I can say this) hate and should have no reason to is soccer, (football) and the new GN'R peace

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2009, 12:48:40 AM »

I got mine.  I don't care who else buys it.

It would have been interesting to see the band actually do something though.  I'm just not excited how many copies it sells and clearly the band aren't either.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2009, 06:36:32 AM »

Axl even said that "best buy have been great" so don't blame them.  It definitly isnt Dr Peppers fault.
Its probably a combination of the band and band management. 

Don't think anyone really cares anymore though.  Just be happy if you have the CD  ok

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2009, 08:26:25 AM »

Axl even said that "best buy have been great" so don't blame them.  It definitly isnt Dr Peppers fault.

Don't think anyone really cares anymore though.  Just be happy if you have the CD  ok
True but being an American I dont like the way a lot of people over hear treat Axl and I thought when people first heard CD that would change but people here dont even know what CD is man people in America seem to have little taste in Rock music anymore I blame Rap music

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »

Of course Axl thinks Best Buy has been great, they shelled out the cash.  They've been fantastic in that respect.  As far as their in store treatment of Chinese Democracy, that has been much less than fantastic.  I won't even mention promotion because I realize that's a shared responsibility which neither side has really done much with.

freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »

Of course Axl thinks Best Buy has been great, they shelled out the cash.  They've been fantastic in that respect.  As far as their in store treatment of Chinese Democracy, that has been much less than fantastic.  I won't even mention promotion because I realize that's a shared responsibility which neither side has really done much with.

It is a shared responsibility.  Best Buy is where I buy 95% of my music. I am not really sure what some of you think they should have done? It was handeled like all other albums they sell. What were they supposed to do?  Have an employee at the door asking everyone if they wanted to buy a copy?  Its Axl's CD, if he doenst want to promo it by touring and doing interviews, what is a store supposed to do? It was in their flier. If people wanted it, they would buy it.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2009, 01:02:41 PM »

It is a shared responsibility.  Best Buy is where I buy 95% of my music. I am not really sure what some of you think they should have done? It was handeled like all other albums they sell. What were they supposed to do?  Have an employee at the door asking everyone if they wanted to buy a copy?  Its Axl's CD, if he doenst want to promo it by touring and doing interviews, what is a store supposed to do? It was in their flier. If people wanted it, they would buy it.

What could they have done?  How about making it easier to find?  I had to ask someone where to find the album the morning the album came out.  I've heard many other stories about other people having difficulty finding the album.  I went to several stores after the release day, and frankly, their placement of the album was questionable.  I found it astonishing they didn't put the album in a location where people would have to see it, like at the front of the store.  I also noticed several stores that did not have the album near the check-out stands to encourage an impulse buy.  Why not play the album in the store as well?  All simple things that Best Buy could have, but did not do

Of course, the majority of the blame for the lack of sales, if you want to assess blame for that, rest with Axl.  He has done virtually nothing to promote the record.  But, Best Buy could have definitely handled the release better.  There is no doubt about that.

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: