Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:02:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  (Updates) Atlanta July 27, 2016 Georgia Dome
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: (Updates) Atlanta July 27, 2016 Georgia Dome  (Read 25307 times)
Princess Leia
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2016, 12:28:14 AM »

Great crowd but definitely an appetite and UYI fan base! About 40k tonight.

AFD and UYI fan base? Wow!!! Really? Who would've thought? I'm shocked!  Shocked
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2016, 02:31:39 AM »

Absolutely incredible. Better than Nashville show. Axls voice was even better. Was soooo fucking loud in the enclosed dome.  Played alittle reggae during kohd. Slash played godfather different. More of a 92 style kohd as well
Better kicks so much ass,  especially with new intro

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
echeguns
Headliner

Never too old to rock n roll!

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2016, 03:17:52 AM »

Great review of Atlanta show.  This was my 12th show and I'm positive Axl never sounded better!

You won't catch me complain about set list anymore. They killed it tonight!!

http://music.blog.ajc.com/2016/07/28/concert-review-guns-n-roses-ignite-georgia-dome-with-brawny-rock-show/

Atlanta 1988
Atlanta 1989
San Francisco 2010
Greenville 2011
Las Vegas 2014
Atlanta 2016
Miami 2017
New York 2017
Austin 2019
Lexington KY 2023
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »

Great review of Atlanta show.

It reads though that UYI was released in 1994. Also the tour's name is incorrect.

Great review but I work in quality assurance Grin
Old Cowboy
Opening Act

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2016, 10:23:08 AM »

This was my 4th GNR show and 1st time seeing Axl with Slash and Duff and it was easily the best of the bunch.  Maybe the best show I have seen period.   They went on exactly on time and absolutely nailed It's So Easy / Mr. Brownstone.  Chinese Democracy was good also, for some reason I like it much better with Slash playing it.   Jungle was disappointing as Axl struggled with the vocals.  DTJ, Estranged and Rocket Queen were epic.  Slash's last solo in Rocket Queen was mind boggling.  YCBM was another song Axl struggled with.  I enjoyed Raw Power, it was better than the clips I had seen.  This I love and Civiil War were amazing.  I never really realized how powerful the lyrics to Civil War are, especially in today's America.   This I Love may have been Axl and Slash's best performance.  Coma was awesome overall, Axl struggled a little bit with the outro.   SCOM and Better were both good.  Axl's vocals were really strong on OTGM.   I thought the Layla cover was awesome.  I was impressed with Axl's piano playing and Slash's solo was much closer to the original and didn't have as much 'shredding'.   It seemed like KOHD had a slightly different arrangement for the better, a little more rocking.  Nightrain was another strong vocal by Axl.  I haven't been a big fan of Patience or Seeker based on the YouTube clips but I enjoyed both last night.  PC was solid, Slash playing the whole outro solo behind his head was pretty impressive.  Random Thoughts:

- Richard Fortus is a bad ass
- Slash was on fire all night, some of the best playing I have ever seen from him (seen him live 6 times)
- Frank has vastly improved on drums
- Rocket Queen, Estranged, This I Love and Civil War were the standouts to me
- Axl's vocals were strong to very strong except for Jungle and YCBM
- The acoustics in the Ga Dome suck
- At times they were unbelievably good
- I say Dome was about 80-85% full, probably about 40k
- The crowd was really into it
- The Cult were pretty good.  I wonder how Matt Sorum feels?  His 2 former bands are touring stadiums together without him.
- Melissa's backup vocals are excellent
- As good if not better than I could have hoped for
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2016, 10:29:06 AM »

Looking forward to sky dogs review !

Sounds like another incredible night, curious as to why the seem to lean Out ta Get me and Patience over Don't Cry and Michelle.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »

Looking forward to sky dogs review !

Sounds like another incredible night, curious as to why the seem to lean Out ta Get me and Patience over Don't Cry and Michelle.

I'd much rather hear Out Ta Get Me than My Michelle... I love it, love the solo, and maybe it's Axl's best vocal performance on this tour, along with Nightrain and Jungle.

Don't really care for Patience. I think it's a good song, but the arrangement this tour (2 acoustics and Slash's Les Paul) make it soung too hollow and empty. Don't know the right word for it. The coda is something that should be powerful and it's not this tour.

But I really hope they play Don't Cry in Sao Paulo. Much better song to me.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »

I'm with you on both.

Just thinking out loud as how and why they end up choosing the way they do.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2016, 11:53:24 AM »

Here Today... Gone To Hell
The Georgia Dome
htgth - Duff in Atlanta

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »

Don't really care for Patience. I think it's a good song, but the arrangement this tour (2 acoustics and Slash's Les Paul) make it soung too hollow and empty. Don't know the right word for it. The coda is something that should be powerful and it's not this tour.

Agree on Patience. But they'll probably play both, one each night, assuming the setlist wont dramatically change till November.

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »

Agree on Patience. But they'll probably play both, one each night, assuming the setlist wont dramatically change till November.

Totally agree
I actually started disliking Patience live versions back to the old Tokyo video days. It's partly the way he sings it. Just think it doesn't fit a large concert enviornment, a little something is missing.

Don't Cry is a great live song and hearing it the other night at MetLife for Encore made a great night even better
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2016, 12:35:55 PM »

Totally agree
I actually started disliking Patience live versions back to the old Tokyo video days. It's partly the way he sings it. Just think it doesn't fit a large concert enviornment, a little something is missing.

Don't Cry is a great live song and hearing it the other night at MetLife for Encore made a great night even better

Yeah, I think you're totally right when you say it doesn't fit a large concert environment. It just doesn't sound right. It seems dead.

But in the Tokyo version, it picks up when Slash does his amazing solo, and the coda is much more powerful with the 12-string electric and the drums.

IMO that's the version they should aim for if they're to play Patience.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »

Totally agree

Yeah, I think you're totally right when you say it doesn't fit a large concert environment. It just doesn't sound right. It seems dead.

But in the Tokyo version, it picks up when Slash does his amazing solo, and the coda is much more powerful with the 12-string electric and the drums.

Don't cry is a classic gnr tune and should be in any set list any night.   Same with all 4 of the songs mentioned.  zero reason they shouldn't be in the set list
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »

Totally agree

Don't cry is a classic gnr tune and should be in any set list any night.   Same with all 4 of the songs mentioned.  zero reason they shouldn't be in the set list

I don't really think My Michelle is a classic. The same can be said about Out Ta Get Me. Not a classic IMO, but I really like it.

Agree about Don't Cry though. And Patience, even if I don't like it that much, it's instantly recognizable.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »

Totally agree

I don't really think My Michelle is a classic. The same can be said about Out Ta Get Me. Not a classic IMO, but I really like it.

Agree about Don't Cry though. And Patience, even if I don't like it that much, it's instantly recognizable.

Well two are true hits

All 4 are classic gnr tunes, recognizable to any gnr fan.

Either way, more guns songs the better
bjd2944
Headliner

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2016, 02:10:02 PM »

This was my 4th GNR show and 1st time seeing Axl with Slash and Duff and it was easily the best of the bunch.  Maybe the best show I have seen period.   They went on exactly on time and absolutely nailed It's So Easy / Mr. Brownstone.  Chinese Democracy was good also, for some reason I like it much better with Slash playing it.   Jungle was disappointing as Axl struggled with the vocals.  DTJ, Estranged and Rocket Queen were epic.  Slash's last solo in Rocket Queen was mind boggling.  YCBM was another song Axl struggled with.  I enjoyed Raw Power, it was better than the clips I had seen.  This I love and Civiil War were amazing.  I never really realized how powerful the lyrics to Civil War are, especially in today's America.   This I Love may have been Axl and Slash's best performance.  Coma was awesome overall, Axl struggled a little bit with the outro.   SCOM and Better were both good.  Axl's vocals were really strong on OTGM.   I thought the Layla cover was awesome.  I was impressed with Axl's piano playing and Slash's solo was much closer to the original and didn't have as much 'shredding'.   It seemed like KOHD had a slightly different arrangement for the better, a little more rocking.  Nightrain was another strong vocal by Axl.  I haven't been a big fan of Patience or Seeker based on the YouTube clips but I enjoyed both last night.  PC was solid, Slash playing the whole outro solo behind his head was pretty impressive.  Random Thoughts:

- Richard Fortus is a bad ass
- Slash was on fire all night, some of the best playing I have ever seen from him (seen him live 6 times)
- Frank has vastly improved on drums
- Rocket Queen, Estranged, This I Love and Civil War were the standouts to me
- Axl's vocals were strong to very strong except for Jungle and YCBM
- The acoustics in the Ga Dome suck
- At times they were unbelievably good
- I say Dome was about 80-85% full, probably about 40k
- The crowd was really into it
- The Cult were pretty good.  I wonder how Matt Sorum feels?  His 2 former bands are touring stadiums together without him.
- Melissa's backup vocals are excellent
- As good if not better than I could have hoped for

Jungle surprises me, he's been pretty good on Jungle throughout this tour - including the three shows I saw in Landover(1) and Metlife(both nights).

You Could Be Mine has to be his weakest song vocally. It doesn't sound right with "clean" vocals, and almost needs to be screamed throughout. I am a realist though, and I know that at 54 years old it's a little harder to do that. YCBM is a song I guess the casual fan is gonna want to hear. Honestly it's one of those songs I can take or leave, especially given the fact that he really can't give it a full go anymore.

He clearly paces himself. He has a few bullets in the gun a night with the "rasp" - for lack of a better term, and he decides to let it go when he needs to.
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »

Here Today... Gone To Hell
The Georgia Dome
htgth - Slash in Atlanta

Another classic jarmo!

BRAVO, BRAVO   beer

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2016, 04:27:10 PM »

3rd total GNR show and the best one, even better than Nashville

Axl is on a whole nother level with Duff and Slash back. Not that he wasn't great in 2011 when i saw them, but he has just absolutely regained his all time great form. Everything about this performance was perfect and i had the butterflies even though ive heard each song a thousand times.
Slash is the greatest guitarist of all time

No setlist complaints, I mean would have loved to hear Sorry or even Dont Cry, but is moot.

Better intro excites me for what this band could do creatively on a new album

Was a jam packed crowd, very loud, intense and amazing.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
echeguns
Headliner

Never too old to rock n roll!

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »

I thought Axl was on point with Jungle and I've seen many shows at the Dome and I think the acoustics were great from the floor. 

2 quick clips!

Better
https://www.facebook.com/casey.mize.77/posts/10153910528923722

KOHD
https://youtu.be/sFClmFzo8ms
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:41:35 PM by echeguns » Logged

Atlanta 1988
Atlanta 1989
San Francisco 2010
Greenville 2011
Las Vegas 2014
Atlanta 2016
Miami 2017
New York 2017
Austin 2019
Lexington KY 2023
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2016, 06:14:16 PM »

You Could Be Mine has to be his weakest song vocally. It doesn't sound right with "clean" vocals, and almost needs to be screamed throughout. I am a realist though, and I know that at 54 years old it's a little harder to do that. YCBM is a song I guess the casual fan is gonna want to hear. Honestly it's one of those songs I can take or leave, especially given the fact that he really can't give it a full go anymore.

I agree the points on his vocals on this one, but I couldn't imagine seeing GNR without them playing that.

I think his weakest song is SCOM.  Not sure why, but it's consistently weakest song each night.

OTGM, I think is just OK as a song.  But he leans into that one and kills it, I think.  Welcome addition to this tour.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: