Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 11:41:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  THEORY - axl saving chi dem 2 songs for possible reunion album???
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THEORY - axl saving chi dem 2 songs for possible reunion album???  (Read 48976 times)
Gman84
Opening Act

« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2016, 07:33:09 AM »

Here's a totally off the wall idea (that admittedly has little chance of happening but we can dream!).

Given this band - in whatever form it's taken personnel wise - likes to do things a little differently when it comes to releasing new material, whether it be the double album release of illusions or the long wind up then actually quite low key release of Chinese Democracy - how about another double album release...

...The changing phases of G N' R (ignore that as an album(s) title in sure the band can do better)

Album 1, the stuff the band did from the CD era with Robin/BBF/Buckethead/Tommy.
Album 2, new material with Slash/Duff (with Izzy songwriting contributions if you want to go for the ultimate dream scenario).

I wouldn't even want to try and go through the legal ramifications of all that and if the returning members would be cool with it but it would be the ultimate in G N' R music that would satisfy fans from every era although how it would appeal to the more causal Guns or rock fan.

Whilst I'm in the camp of happy to see Slash and Duff back I do think it would be a shame if the material all the other guys worked on never seen the light of day.  Maybe some of it could be reworked with Slash and Duff but I also think there are styles from the previous players that might not work on some material if they were to be be overdubbed by Slash and Duff although as someone else pointed out, without ever hearing it it's nothing more than guesswork.

So, double album please boys, just like Illusions, empty the vaults and make some great new stuff whilst doing it.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »

That would be of course my dream scenario. Don't see it happening, tho.

Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2016, 08:08:29 AM »

Not a good theory.. rather a hypotheses... and that hypotheses has no good foundation at all... sorry!

A better word would be speculation.. the discourse has a lot more room for speculations...  hihi

There are songs left from the Chinese Democracy sessions. It was once viewed as a multiple album. Some of the more revered songs (big guns) were not released on the album. There is a possibility that some of the songs that were written could end up on the fallow up album to Chinese Democracy (whatever its name is) if there is a fallow up album.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2016, 01:12:01 AM »

maybe the reunion will generate so much money that not being able to make money off of an album wont be as much of an issue? just wishful thinking here i guess.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »

Wouldn' t it be fun if the "new" current line up recorded some songs togehter from their separete career after the original line up split?

I would like to hear Duff's songs for example "Who's to blame" and "How to be a man" with Axl on vocals. A coupple of Slash and VR songs aswell, as much as it would be neat to hear re-makes of some chi-dem stuff with Slash and Duff. I mean, as it was speculated earlier Axl were rehearsing "Fall to pieces". It could be a fun album to throw out there to coincide with Coachella?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:06:38 AM by Sillything » Logged

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
ThatGuy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »

I am simply wondering if Axl could have held back the songs for what was to be chi dem 2 (or whatever the follow up was going to be) because he wanted to remake them with slash.  I see some people saying that Slash would not re-record robin's parts, and of course, i agree, i am not suggesting that at all.  I am suggesting that only Axl's vocals and lyrics and possible piano melodies would be kept? any guitar melodies/riffs/basslines from former members would be scrapped? and the songs would be remade and re recorded to feature slash and duff's songwriting.  Not that crazy of an idea, and one that seems to be more feasible given the recent turn of events.  This reunion could have possibly been in the cards for the past 2 years or so, so its no stretch at all that the album release was held back for this reason...

imagine this, top rolled down, 4 pumps of l.a. looks in your hair, crusing down the highway, getting roadhead while jamming You Could Be Mine!
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2016, 11:15:46 AM »

I am simply wondering if Axl could have held back the songs for what was to be chi dem 2 (or whatever the follow up was going to be) because he wanted to remake them with slash.  I see some people saying that Slash would not re-record robin's parts, and of course, i agree, i am not suggesting that at all.  I am suggesting that only Axl's vocals and lyrics and possible piano melodies would be kept? any guitar melodies/riffs/basslines from former members would be scrapped? and the songs would be remade and re recorded to feature slash and duff's songwriting.  Not that crazy of an idea, and one that seems to be more feasible given the recent turn of events.  This reunion could have possibly been in the cards for the past 2 years or so, so its no stretch at all that the album release was held back for this reason...
Good theory! And it would be great if it indeed turned out that way!

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2016, 11:32:53 AM »

Good theory! And it would be great if it indeed turned out that way!

Very plausible theory.  Songs take on many shapes and sizes before they are released for public consumption.  The only time a song is "done" is when it is released to the public.  So in theory "CD 2" could have been recorded and scrapped all together,  or reworked into other songs. They wouldn't be the first band to do this.  Green Day had a completely different record pretty much finished in 2003 that they scrapped at the last minute  to re-recorded everything.  The result was their most critically acclaimed and their second highest selling  record "American Idiot." 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:34:56 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »

I think it's safe to assume that if Slash and Duff would work on those CD-era songs, the tracks would be remade anyways. But that's not enough for a songwriting credits. Even if you record and write your own instrumental track, the writing credit would still be from Robin or Buckethead because the melody and overall idea would still be from them - unless they completely rebuild the whole track. And if you do that, you would need the rest of the band to rework on their parts too.

If you want to keep the current lineup on the new songs, your theory would work just for the songs already written by Axl, Dizzy, Richard and/or Pitman - and only by them.

raindog
Rocker

« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2016, 11:18:57 PM »

If Slash and Duff work on 1999 tracks that have been worked on by multiple lineups and producers and engineers over the years then had new baselines and solos written, can we please have a moment of respectful silence for the poor bastard tasked with compiling the song credits? Wink
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2016, 01:50:30 AM »

Guns is full of songs that are personal to each person.   Where written before other guys came in

Example

Back off bitch

Anything goes

Then there is the personal songs

November rain

It's so easy.

So....

I wouldn't have a problem at all if Axl wants to use some already recoded songs for a future album featuring duff and slash.

However.

I would like to hear some slash and duff songs on this album as well

Cause

That is want guns was really about
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2016, 06:41:47 AM »

Would it be naive to expect them to work on some of the songs (or bits of songs) they were working on before Slash and Duff left in the 90's? Something that got scrapped because of that.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2016, 07:51:23 AM »

Would it be naive to expect them to work on some of the songs (or bits of songs) they were working on before Slash and Duff left in the 90's? Something that got scrapped because of that.
Not naive, actually. Like some guy said in another thread, Richard Fortus last year spoke about working on some tracks which that had Slash's ideas. Maybe it's exactly that stuff from the '90s.

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »

Not naive, actually. Like some guy said in another thread, Richard Fortus last year spoke about working on some tracks which that had Slash's ideas. Maybe it's exactly that stuff from the '90s.

Yep, that interview got me thinking this. And how cool it would be to hear some of that stuff Smiley

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2016, 07:20:18 AM »

I'd really would like to hear Slash playing Checkmate. Smiley

ThatGuy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #235 on: March 08, 2016, 08:39:39 PM »

It makes more sense that slash and Duff would rework axl's cd2 songs than any other scenario, really. Why would axl record and write brand new songs when he has so many in the vault? Furthermore, a gnr record featuring slash definitely sells more than one without him. Wouldn't be surprised one bit to see an axl/slash/duff (and possibly izzy) chi dem2 album.

imagine this, top rolled down, 4 pumps of l.a. looks in your hair, crusing down the highway, getting roadhead while jamming You Could Be Mine!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: