Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:34:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227900 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  "Greatest Rock&Roll Album of All Time" Survivor - Discussion Thread
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Greatest Rock&Roll Album of All Time" Survivor - Discussion Thread  (Read 7697 times)
Neemo
Legend

« on: February 03, 2006, 12:12:03 PM »

*Izzy* had this idea and i thought it was a good one ok

Discuss whatever relating to the game here. yes

Making fun of me liking of Nickelback Tongue Grin
Whether or not Tool has gotten better or worse as they progressed
Why didn't APC get into the voting
How much RHCP have sucked since Blood Sugar Sex Magik

hihi those last 2 are my ideas
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 04:05:23 PM by Neemo » Logged

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 10:08:15 AM »

He took it from the other survivor  Wink  Tongue

I'm start off with why do people like RHCP: By the way.

I don't mind the band. I really enjoyed BSSM and One Hot Minute. Californication was ok, a few good singles, but the rest filler. By the Way has a few good melodies, but it's too poppy. I miss some of the heavier sound they had in previous albums.

What's so good about it?
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:01:51 AM »

He took it from the other survivor? Wink? Tongue

Hey I gave the "80's Survivor" credit when I advised him to make this thread Tongue

I don't mind the band. I really enjoyed BSSM and One Hot Minute. Californication was ok, a few good singles, but the rest filler. By the Way has a few good melodies, but it's too poppy. I miss some of the heavier sound they had in previous albums.

What's so good about it?

Not much else to rival it in the 21th Century I suppose

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 12:16:44 PM »

I miss some of the heavier sound they had in previous albums.

What's so good about it?

I still remember Kiedis talking about the songs being "heavy" in an interview.  He said he realized that the songs on this album were more melodic and not as funky or fast paced as some of the older stuff, but he said the band still considered these songs just as "heavy" because when they're playing them the emotions and feeling they get from was so intense... I think the people saying it's the best of the century connected with that feeling.  It just seems like they're hitting all the right notes and playing as a complete band.  Plus it flows so good... it's one of my favourite albums to play at the cottage or the beach when you're just kicking back in the summer... or driving around slow with the windows down in the afternoon.

I could do without "This Is The Place" and "Throw Away Your Television", but even those songs can't ruin that album.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »

My reason for feeling that RHCP suck nowadays is that they try to use the same style of songs as Breaking the Girl and Under the bridge for everything they do. It's really tiring to hear the same shit song after song. especially with the Chilli Peppers cuz they were one of the best at switching it up. I mean comeon Kiedis (sp?) even go rid or his really cool hair and got a bad blonde "do". I have never been the hugest fan of them but when you have the talent they do, they should just use it to their full potential rather than using "cookie cutter" songs all the time.

I know that the idea of this thread is a rehashed one from a past survivor, but it was *izzy*'s idea to do it again so that's why I gave him credit for it ok no slight to you Ignatus I mean this whole survivor is built off your model beer

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 03:55:57 PM »

The 10 albums I nominated are all better, none of which even made it in.  Tongue This survivor isn't doing well at all.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 04:16:33 PM »

The 10 albums I nominated are all better, none of which even made it in.? Tongue This survivor isn't doing well at all.

We should, perhaps, make a best Metal survivor specifically for you? Tongue

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »

Rock can be just as good as metal. Lately, it just isn't. Rush and Led Zeppelin were just as good as Black Sabbath and Judas Priest back in the 70's. GnR and Van Halen were just as good as Metallica and Anthrax in the 80's. Rock music has simply declined since the 90's, but metal has stayed strong.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 03:22:23 PM »

Metal is wayyy better ok hihi

Should I change the voting time from 3 days to 2 days? or is 3 days alright?

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »

Should I change the voting time from 3 days to 2 days? or is 3 days alright?
2 if it's obvious who's going otherwise 3 i'd say.....

...i mean if you count the votes after 2 days and two albums have like 6 more votes than all the others you may as well end it then, if it's close though stretch it to 3.....

....just my view Wink

Edit: My head is easily blagged, any chance the ones crossed off the list could be removed or something so it's clearer?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 04:06:37 PM »

My head is easily blagged, any chance the ones crossed off the list could be removed or something so it's clearer?

done ok

Your avatar rules btw rofl

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 04:36:05 AM »

I think the only one's voting off Jane's Addiction this early are people who hasn't heard the album...(like I did with NIN Tongue) Grin

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 05:11:33 AM »

I think the only one's voting off Jane's Addiction this early are people who hasn't heard the album
I've never liked the band, never liked any of their singles....

....so yes i have only heard a few tracks off the album but they left me with no desire to listen to any others.....

.....so i'm pretty damn sure the chances are very slim, even if i heard the whole album of me thinking it was the Greatest Album of the past 5 years.....
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 06:30:39 AM »

I have to ask...what do you guys have against The Strokes?

Sure music is something subjective, but I find hard to believe all of you who have voted the Strokes off so early have heard Is this it at all...

That album was groundbreaking, something fresh, something new. Mainstream rock music sucked then (still does) but The Strokes and The White Stripes gave rock something to talk about. I don't think the White Stripes albums are any better than The Strokes. But then again, it's more accepted to like the White Stripes than the Strokes, isn't it?
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 08:54:15 AM »

I have to ask...what do you guys have against The Strokes?

Sure music is something subjective, but I find hard to believe all of you who have voted the Strokes off so early have heard Is this it at all...

That album was groundbreaking, something fresh, something new. Mainstream rock music sucked then (still does) but The Strokes and The White Stripes gave rock something to talk about. I don't think the White Stripes albums are any better than The Strokes. But then again, it's more accepted to like the White Stripes than the Strokes, isn't it?
I've listened to a few White Stripes album and bah! didn't like 'em!

As for The Strokes i've merely heard their singles and haven't been a fan of those but i also had the misfortune to see them at Leeds Festival (2002 i think....) and i fucked off after about 5 or 6 songs through boredom, they've never done anything for me, now if i see a band live and don't like 'em, and dislike all their singles, what are the chances i am going to waste my precious time checking out their entire albums?
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 11:06:03 AM »

These threads are useless and incredibly funny, because people's musical tastes are extremely limited on this board, there are only about 5 or 6 users that have expansive musical knowledge, the rest of you are pretty much all bellends.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 12:14:41 PM »

These threads are useless and incredibly funny, because people's musical tastes are extremely limited on this board, there are only about 5 or 6 users that have expansive musical knowledge, the rest of you are pretty much all bellends.

Let me get this straight, your idea of "expansive musical knowledge" is The Strokes and Oasis? rofl Dude, you're just too funny.

Oh, and stop saying bellend all the time. Makes you look like a ten-year-old who just picked up a new word.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 02:21:53 PM »

As for The Strokes i've merely heard their singles and haven't been a fan of those but i also had the misfortune to see them at Leeds Festival (2002 i think....) and i fucked off after about 5 or 6 songs through boredom, they've never done anything for me, now if i see a band live and don't like 'em, and dislike all their singles, what are the chances i am going to waste my precious time checking out their entire albums?

Fair enough Stoned

However, since you seem to have good taste; Frank Black and James, you should give The Strokes one more try. Try "New York City Cops", "Reptilia", Automatic Stops", "You only live once" (my favorite Strokes song right now) , "15 minutes" (specially the second half of the song) and "Fear of Sleep".
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 02:24:33 PM »

Fair enough Stoned

However, since you seem to have good taste; Frank Black and James, you should give The Strokes one more try. Try "New York City Cops", "Reptilia", Automatic Stops", "You only live once" (my favorite Strokes song right now) , "15 minutes" (specially the second half of the song) and "Fear of Sleep".
Will do chief Wink

I'll PM you with my thoughts....
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 02:29:19 PM »

Let me get this straight, your idea of "expansive musical knowledge" is The Strokes and Oasis? rofl Dude, you're just too funny.

Oh, and stop saying bellend all the time. Makes you look like a ten-year-old who just picked up a new word.

another bellend.

my musical tastes range from, Elimani Tounkara, blind willi johnson, mississippin fred mcdowell and other blues artists, to superfly funky soul artists such as bobby womack, to hardhouse Dj's such as Lisa Lashes, to obscure indie bands such as slowdive, to rock n roll giants Oasis.

The Strokes are probably my 20th favourite band.

run along now. Expect to be called a bellend again.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: