Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:40:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227877 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1569688 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6320 on: May 10, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »

I'm also very shocked there is not even talk of a live album.

Still hoping those cameras the 2 nights at Dodger Stadium where they did every conceivable song on the setlist leads to one though.

I was certain those yellow billboards spotted earlier this year in LA were the beginning of promotion for an upcoming live album/DVD of the NITL tour.  Seemed like a no-brainer right?
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6321 on: May 10, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »

From a business point of view, why would they release an album or even a live album at this point? It wouldn't make any sense to do so.  They are selling out in stadiums.

Metallica came out with a new album.  I'm going to see them this Sunday.  They are struggling to sell tickets for the concert at MetLife Stadium.  Compare them to GNR, which sold  out MetLife Stadium both nights. The MetLife shows were GNR's most profitable for the NA leg of the tour.

I think we will eventually get a GNR album to complete this tour. I just don't think it'll happen this year.   
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #6322 on: May 11, 2017, 12:12:52 AM »

Wouldn't an Axl-Duff-Slash album need to be releasesed under different terms than the Axl's Band and everybody else is a paid musician? Slash and Duff are too long in the tooth and Savvy to work an album under these terms, they'd be looking for some kind of equal basis.

Not saying they'd want the same but mearly that they'd want a more of an industry standard looking contact rather than an Axl's GnR one.
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #6323 on: May 11, 2017, 03:06:28 AM »

From a business point of view, why would they release an album or even a live album at this point? It wouldn't make any sense to do so.  They are selling out in stadiums. 

I keep saying this, I don't believe that these guys are in it just for the money. I understand that they don't NEED to release an album in order to sell out stadiums, but come on man. This band consists of very creative people, I just cannot imagine they wouldn't WANT to create new music. And thus release it.

I am still convinced that they're working on new music and when the time is right they will release it. They have a legacy to maintain, so they won't rush. I know I am one of the few, but I firmly believe this.

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6324 on: May 11, 2017, 05:58:36 AM »

Metallica came out with a new album.  I'm going to see them this Sunday.  They are struggling to sell tickets for the concert at MetLife Stadium.  Compare them to GNR, which sold  out MetLife Stadium both nights. The MetLife shows were GNR's most profitable for the NA leg of the tour.

I think we will eventually get a GNR album to complete this tour. I just don't think it'll happen this year.   

That's an unfair comparison though- Metallica are constantly on tour, and have been for many many years. It's inevitable they're not going to sell tickets like this GNR tour. Pretty much everyone that wants to see them has had the chance. I admire Metallica for constantly putting out new music though, and not resting on their laurels, or touring as a nostalgia act.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6325 on: May 11, 2017, 07:03:19 AM »

Wouldn't an Axl-Duff-Slash album need to be releasesed under different terms than the Axl's Band and everybody else is a paid musician? Slash and Duff are too long in the tooth and Savvy to work an album under these terms, they'd be looking for some kind of equal basis.

Not saying they'd want the same but mearly that they'd want a more of an industry standard looking contact rather than an Axl's GnR one.

Nope.

Not in terms of the label.

The business relationship/partnership stuff...sure. But that's distribution of royalties stuff and was likely dealt with upon the reunion in January. No business manager or lawyer worth their salt would leave that "what if" unaddressed. Too obvious.

But in terms of GnRs contract with the label...they are held to the contract they signed way back when until they satisfy those terms. If the reports at the time are true, they've not done that yet.

They could try to renegotiate, I suppose. But they really don't have much leverage to do so. Even with Slash and Duff back in the fold, the truth is that album sales just don't make enough money, and don't sell enough copies, in this day and age, for that to make ENOUGH of a $$ difference to the label to renegotiate just to get new material from that group.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6326 on: May 11, 2017, 07:04:56 AM »

That's an unfair comparison though- Metallica are constantly on tour, and have been for many many years. It's inevitable they're not going to sell tickets like this GNR tour. Pretty much everyone that wants to see them has had the chance. I admire Metallica for constantly putting out new music though, and not resting on their laurels, or touring as a nostalgia act.

Number one way you know things have changed (for the better) since circa late 2015?

The above conversation. Wink

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6327 on: May 11, 2017, 07:22:28 AM »

Nope.

Not in terms of the label.

The business relationship/partnership stuff...sure. But that's distribution of royalties stuff and was likely dealt with upon the reunion in January. No business manager or lawyer worth their salt would leave that "what if" unaddressed. Too obvious.

But in terms of GnRs contract with the label...they are held to the contract they signed way back when until they satisfy those terms. If the reports at the time are true, they've not done that yet.

They could try to renegotiate, I suppose. But they really don't have much leverage to do so. Even with Slash and Duff back in the fold, the truth is that album sales just don't make enough money, and don't sell enough copies, in this day and age, for that to make ENOUGH of a $$ difference to the label to renegotiate just to get new material from that group.

That's an interesting angle we haven't really discussed actually- the legal side of things. It might just be way too complicated legally for the band to record and release as they are. We don't know what contracts Slash and Duff have signed, and what the situation is. it could be quite simply that they've all signed a mutual agreement to do a tour lasting a certain amount of time and split the proceeds in a certain way. There COULD be absolutely no legal provision beyond that. Essentially we could simply be looking at Axl 'hiring' Slash and Duff for the period of the tour, at a very high rate. As far as we know the GNR 'name' is still his exclusive property.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6328 on: May 11, 2017, 10:19:04 AM »

It's hard to talk about the legal side of things when we do not know anything about this IMO. Its an even harder speculation.

I just know that if all that needs to be done for the next one is Slash doing cut and paste guitar work, as possibly inorganic as that might sound, it means that we'll get new Guns music much much sooner, then so be it. 
Not going into the writing credits or what they should do, but the "inorganic" feel is mostly due to the mixing. It's no big deal to record things individually - it's been done since forever. If you want a more cohesive and loose sound, you could always get everyone in the same room and rerecord the same song live-ish, ading some minor overdubs where it's needed. But that doesn't seem the way Axl (or GNR for that matter) ever worked, so...

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6329 on: May 11, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »

It's hard to talk about the legal side of things when we do not know anything about this IMO. Its an even harder speculation.

I just know that if all that needs to be done for the next one is Slash doing cut and paste guitar work, as possibly inorganic as that might sound, it means that we'll get new Guns music much much sooner, then so be it. 
Not going into the writing credits or what they should do, but the "inorganic" feel is mostly due to the mixing. It's no big deal to record things individually - it's been done since forever. If you want a more cohesive and loose sound, you could always get everyone in the same room and rerecord the same song live-ish, ading some minor overdubs where it's needed. But that doesn't seem the way Axl (or GNR for that matter) ever worked, so...

Exactly. Which is why I won't get my panties in a twist if the next album (if it actually materializes) turns out to basically be Chinese Democracy II with Slash. 

And c'mon. If the The General really is the lyrical "sequel to Estranged" then I can't think of anyone better than Slash to tear it up on that track.  I'm sure there's other tracks (maybe Atlas Shrugged?) that are just begging for a proper Slash solo as well.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6330 on: May 11, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »

But if GNR cranks this all up again in 3 years, are then in stadiums here in the US?  I doubt it.

It was the combination of a long time away and disbelief that it's actually happening, coupled with not knowing if this might be your only shot to see them again that got them in stadiums instead of arenas.

The think the current line-up is a US arena act for the rest of their days without lifting a finger.  Not so sure about stadiums.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6331 on: May 11, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »

But if GNR cranks this all up again in 3 years, are then in stadiums here in the US?  I doubt it.

It was the combination of a long time away and disbelief that it's actually happening, coupled with not knowing if this might be your only shot to see them again that got them in stadiums instead of arenas.

The think the current line-up is a US arena act for the rest of their days without lifting a finger.  Not so sure about stadiums.

Arenas yeah, as you stay not stadiums- and not at the prices they're charging. This tour's whole selling point (and indeed name) is the 'one chance' thing. If it rolls around again in 2/3 years the casual audience won't be so keen to shell out again. They could carry on filling Arenas though until they all keel over of course.

And let's not even think about how the reaction would be if Slash moved on again......

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #6332 on: May 11, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »

He can't tour again without Slash.  Not the US, anyway.

The rest of the world rolls with that shit.  We tend not to.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6333 on: May 11, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »

Not. A. Chance.

I think this goes for new music too, unless he re-releases Chi Dem with a bunch of bonus tracks.  If he puts out a "new" album from Guns N' Roses, it best have the dude with the tophat on it. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #6334 on: May 11, 2017, 01:21:07 PM »

Axl's not an idiot.

I'm sure it was gratifying to be in front of huge crowds in his home country again.  I can't see him going backwards on that at this point.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6335 on: May 11, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »

Axl's not an idiot.

I'm sure it was gratifying to be in front of huge crowds in his home country again.  I can't see him going backwards on that at this point.

If Slash decides he wants to go though, it wouldn't leave him much option. Personally, I can't see Slash sticking around for the long term. He seems to like releasing new stuff, working with new people.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #6336 on: May 11, 2017, 01:49:31 PM »

If Slash decides he wants to go though, it wouldn't leave him much option. Personally, I can't see Slash sticking around for the long term. He seems to like releasing new stuff, working with new people.

Agreed.

But maybe he can balance the two.  When this tour is over, and Axl goes back into hiding, then Slash can spend 2 or so years doing an album and tour with Myles.

And then if Axl rings him back up about doing this all again in 2020, does he turn that down?  Would he insist on new GNR material, or no go?  Or is he able to get that out of his system working with Myles and just take the GNR payday?

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6337 on: May 11, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »

Agreed.

But maybe he can balance the two.  When this tour is over, and Axl goes back into hiding, then Slash can spend 2 or so years doing an album and tour with Myles.

And then if Axl rings him back up about doing this all again in 2020, does he turn that down?  Would he insist on new GNR material, or no go?  Or is he able to get that out of his system working with Myles and just take the GNR payday?

All realistic scenarios. We've got no idea why Slash is back playing with them really. Total radio silence. The optimist angle is that he misses playing with the band and has unfinished business. The pessimist angle is that it's linked somehow to his need to play an expensive divorce bill. 

Who know where the truth lies with that one? We've heard nothing to confirm or deny any angle on that one. If it's the pessimist angle, he'll be gone.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6338 on: May 11, 2017, 02:16:56 PM »

Agreed.

I think that ultimately this is the most realistic cycle over the next two or three years.  Maybe during the upcoming tour Axl says something about wanting to possibly maybe someday work on new music in an interview that grabs a couple headlines, but nothing real. Certainly nothing real.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6339 on: May 11, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »

Isn't Vegas in US?

The pessimist angle is that it's linked somehow to his need to play an expensive divorce bill. 
Don't think so. He always seemed keen to get back to the GNR camp. Of course the money helps, tho.

Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: