Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227843 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GUNS N' ROSES: 'Reckless Road' Biography To Be Turned Into Movie
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUNS N' ROSES: 'Reckless Road' Biography To Be Turned Into Movie  (Read 75475 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »

Matt was inducted, Gilby wasn't.

So much for the legacy reason. Doesn't really make a lot of sense.
The simple reason is that Gilby isn't a star. RNRHOF probably couldn't care less about him. Even if he was in the band during their biggest tours of the 1990s and appeared in those huge videos people still remember today.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »

Matt was listed on the Wikipedia page last night when I had to double check Gilby.

Like I said last night, Dizzy and Matt weren't really song writers, but did play on the material.

Its not like its the song writing hall of fame.

Thats a good point.  

Seems to be no real criteria as to who goes in with the bands
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #242 on: January 27, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »

Matt had a much bigger impact on Guns than Gilby. Gilby was just a touring replacement, where Matt came in when they needed a new drum machine for their next full lenghts studio albums. To quote Axl 8/1990: "Matt.....he saved the band!" i cant see that from the keyboard player though, but he was part of UYI recordings, too, and also toured with the band 1991-93 when they peaked in their career. Thats what got him in!
Again, its all about AFD and early UYI.

Re-Union time, baby!!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2015, 11:01:55 AM »

Shit, how long has tommy been in the band?

17 years, I think.

But what stamp would you say he put on the GNR legacy?  What is his biggest contribution, for instance?

From all reports tommy has been sort of the leader of the musicians.   Durring shows etc

So I would say his legacy has been hos loyalty to Axl as well as his ability to keep most shows running smoothly
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »

17 years, I think.

But what stamp would you say he put on the GNR legacy?  What is his biggest contribution, for instance?

From all reports tommy has been sort of the leader of the musicians.   Durring shows etc

So I would say his legacy has been hos loyalty to Axl as well as his ability to keep most shows running smoothly

<buzzer sound>

Well, that's hardly strong grounds for hall of fame induction.

Being Axl's wingman long after most people stopped paying attention to the band is not really the sort of thing that resonates.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »

The simple reason is that Gilby isn't a star. RNRHOF probably couldn't care less about him. Even if he was in the band during their biggest tours of the 1990s and appeared in those huge videos people still remember today.

I agree.

I don't think Gilby belongs, but if you wanted to say he was there for a big part of their prime, you can't deny it.  But it would be real shaky because he didn't help create anything.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2015, 11:26:47 AM »

I agree.

I don't think Gilby belongs, but if you wanted to say he was there for a big part of their prime, you can't deny it.  But it would be real shaky because he didn't help create anything.
Not to put words in your mouth, but it sounds like you think the RNRHOF got it right when it comes to who got inducted from GNR. There are countless other examples that could be argued they got it wrong with other bands. So the overall point is they choose arbitrarily. They have no blueprint. That was the problem. Thir process makes no sense. What makes Tommy Stinson (for example) less deserving than the RHCP guitarist, Metallica's bassist, etc.? I think Axl, and MANY others (he's hardly the only one), to feel that way. If he felt that strongly about how they choose who gets in and didn't agree with it, he had every right to not attend. I was there that night and while I much would've preferred to see him there, I don't hold it against him and still had an awesome time.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #247 on: January 27, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »

17 years, I think.

<buzzer sound>

Well, that's hardly strong grounds for hall of fame induction.

Being Axl's wingman long after most people stopped paying attention to the band is not really the sort of thing that resonates.

Hahaha well you asked what his biggest contribution was.   Thats it

Do i think its hall of fame worthy....   

I dont know,   I would have tommy in before dizzy or gilby mb even matt

Dizzy and matt just played on the albums and toured.  Could any other piano player or drummer do what they did?  I would say mb

Gilby just toured with the band.   Could any other rythm guitarest do this?   I wouls say ya

Not trying to takw away anything from some of the musicians that have played in my fav band.   Just trying to figure out.  Why some guys would be put in and others not
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #248 on: January 27, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »

Again, its all about AFD and early UYI.

Funny how they decide part of the era when the band was among the biggest in the world doesn't really matter.

But this little club never made a lot of sense to begin with. Like I said, Gilby is mostly unknown, even back in the day people thought he was Izzy...
Unknown people don't make money for the RNRHOF. Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #249 on: January 27, 2015, 12:03:04 PM »

you mean the Gilby tour parts era? the band was already absolute huge then in 12/1991!

Gilby didnt add anything to the own studio albums, it simply was all up to UYI release and pre-Gilby touring. That was the choice, the fuzz from the original classic members up to the UYI albums, and its totally valide.

Re-Union time, baby!!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #250 on: January 27, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »

Not to put words in your mouth, but it sounds like you think the RNRHOF got it right when it comes to who got inducted from GNR. There are countless other examples that could be argued they got it wrong with other bands.

Well, they got it right with this one.

I don't care who did, or did not, get in with some other band.  No matter which way you want to argue any of those examples (so and so should have gotten in, so and so should not have gotten in), none of it has any bearing on post 1994 Guns N' Roses.

You can argue about Metallica, RHCP, Kiss...or whoever, until god calls you.  It will have no bearing on GNR.

Is that some way out there notion?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #251 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:16 PM »

Funny how they decide part of the era when the band was among the biggest in the world doesn't really matter.

I think it comes down to creation of material, I suspect.

If he appeared on an album of original material in their prime, he'd be in.  Its why Matt and Dizzy are in, and Gilby is not.

But this little club never made a lot of sense to begin with.

Its a celebration of your work, and a nice night for your fans.

Every single band with all these supposed questions, concerns, and just general confusion about it all has one common denominator : inter-band strife.

Our band is CERTAINLY no exception to that.

Princess Leia
« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »

Neither Gilby nor Matt nor Dizzy are worthy of the HOF.  They were never part of the of partnership, just hired guys and additional musicians.

For that matter one could argue that Tracii Guns deserves the HOF as well. But for him GN?R was just a side Project. His band was L.A. Guns. As for Tommy he is gonna get in the HOF when The Replacements get enough votes one of these days.  
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »

you mean the Gilby tour parts era? the band was already absolute huge then in 12/1991!

Gilby didnt add anything to the own studio albums, it simply was all up to UYI release and pre-Gilby touring. That was the choice, the fuzz from the original classic members up to the UYI albums, and its totally valide.

He didn't add anything to the original albums. True.
But in a way he added something else. He was there. But, like I said, that doesn't matter to the RNRHOF. He's not a star. He's not on those albums.

This museum is just examples of weird decisions.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2015, 01:17:22 PM »

Neither Gilby nor Matt nor Dizzy are worthy of the HOF.  They were never part of the of partnership, just hired guys and additional musicians.

Yeah, but they play on a double album that comprises the bulk of the material from their prime.

Doesn't that count for something?

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »

Yeah, but they play on a double album that comprises the bulk of the material from their prime.

Doesn't that count for something?

Nope it means nothing to me.  As I feel many other artisits could do.  What they did.   

What if gnr released 2 more albums in the 90s?   And had another huge world tour.  With a different drummer and rythm guitar player and piano player.    Would all those people get in the hall as well?   Its so silly

I would of liked to have seen Axl, slash, izzy and steven just put in

Since they added more players.   I would of liked them to of include any membee that has ever had a writting credit on a song and been considered a member of the band.

Tommy has done way more for guns that Matt has.   
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2015, 01:56:48 PM »

Not to put words in your mouth, but it sounds like you think the RNRHOF got it right when it comes to who got inducted from GNR. There are countless other examples that could be argued they got it wrong with other bands.

Well, they got it right with this one.

I don't care who did, or did not, get in with some other band.  No matter which way you want to argue any of those examples (so and so should have gotten in, so and so should not have gotten in), none of it has any bearing on post 1994 Guns N' Roses.

You can argue about Metallica, RHCP, Kiss...or whoever, until god calls you.  It will have no bearing on GNR.

Is that some way out there notion?
That's all well and good, but it does matter when discussing why Axl chose not to attend. Many want to claim it's because Slash was there. Others claim he wanted the current band included. In his words, he struggled to make sense of how the Hall chooses who gets in and who doesn't. It really doesn't matter whether or not they got it right in the case of GNR. That's completely subjective, especially considering some of the odd choices they've made over the years.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »

other bands aside, but for GN'R the HOF did a pretty good job in selecting the members, all those 7 were important for the bands legacy all the way when they made it to the top!

Re-Union time, baby!!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #258 on: January 27, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »

other bands aside, but for GN'R the HOF did a pretty good job in selecting the members, all those 7 were important for the bands legacy all the way when they made it to the top!
I don't necessarily disagree with that. They have to draw a line somewhere you'd think. It might be a little crazy to induct 15 members of a band. Though I heard The E Street Band induction was kind of like that. But it's certainly reasonable to question how they make these decisions and why. Obviously Axl did not agree with, or see their methods of reasoning.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #259 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »

It's largely an eye test, no question about it.  It ain't scientific.

But, I can't help feeling that some here are playing a bit intentionally dense to spare themselves having to admit certain realities.

I think it comes down to 3 criteria :

- who was the driving force in the creation of their best known stuff
- who was in the band when they did their most classic material
- who is the band in the eyes of the general public

This is why I can't put any of the post 1994 guys in, because they don't even meet one of those.  Or really, even come close on one of them.

I get the feeling that the overwhelming reason for pushback on that is having to concede the post 1994 guys don't match-up on any level.  Personally, I don't see how that's a diss.  Its a fact, but not an insult.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: