Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:00:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If CD is as bad as Contraband, I'll kill myself
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If CD is as bad as Contraband, I'll kill myself  (Read 34467 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2004, 08:22:41 PM »

Guns would be nothing without the original line-up, Izzy was a great songwriter, Slash with his solos
NO1 is disputing that

not the cover band that call themeselves Guns N' Roses.
When they release 3 albums of their own material, and they tour on that material, are they still a cover band?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 08:23:50 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2004, 09:05:56 PM »

Whoa.... slow down there, buddy.

"November Rain" might be the most lyrically complex song of 90's rock.

Let me just say you're WAY off if you think that song is about a girl.

I think this is an example of the main reason why people make the mistake of putting shit like "Nevermind" on the same level as the "Use Your Illusions" albums. They limit their experience of music to their ears, while excluding their minds.

So like I said, its a pretty simple song, lyrically.
charl!edontsurf
Rocker

Axl doesn't surf either...

« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2004, 10:16:31 PM »

Of course they aren't a cover band after three albums... but when you have zero albums and you play more "covers" than originals, you may, more often than not, be called a cover band.

VAN: 11-7-2002 (RIOT!)
TACOMA: 11-8-2002
LONDON: 6-7-2006
DUBLIN: 6-9-2006
PARIS: 6-20-2006
ZURICH: 7-1-2006
CGY: 12-6-2006
EDM: 12-7-2006
CGY: 1-16-2010
EDM: 1-17-2010
SEA: 12-16-2011
VAN:
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2004, 10:24:03 PM »

I think this is an example of the main reason why people make the mistake of putting shit like "Nevermind" on the same level as the "Use Your Illusions" albums. They limit their experience of music to their ears, while excluding their minds.

Uh, informed people don't put "shit like "Nevermind" on the same level as the "Use Your Illusions" albums." for good reason.

One changed the face of music, the other(s) didn't.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 10:36:41 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
estranged.1098
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2004, 10:53:13 PM »

Eh... I don't listen to AfD to this day because it changed "the face of music" when it was released so this argument is pretty weak.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2004, 11:01:04 PM »

Eh... I don't listen to AfD to this day because it changed "the face of music" when it was released so this argument is pretty weak.

There's no argument, so "weak" is irrelevent.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2004, 11:09:38 PM »

Of course they aren't a cover band after three albums... but when you have zero albums and you play more "covers" than originals, you may, more often than not, be called a cover band.
Ok?
If you want to call gnr a cover band after that last tour, go for it. When its all said and done, they have their own musical contributions to share.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2004, 11:31:34 PM »

Uh, informed people don't put "shit like "Nevermind" on the same level as the "Use Your Illusions" albums." for good reason.

Grunge sucks, and Nirvana was/is WAY over rated. Not to beat a dead horse but Kobain was a pussy who couldn't handle his own demons.

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2004, 11:37:35 PM »

Grunge sucks, and Nirvana was/is WAY over rated. Not to beat a dead horse but Kobain was a pussy who couldn't handle his own demons.

That's your opinion, which is fine.

However, musical history doesn't share your point of view and does/will continue to reflect that.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2004, 01:03:00 AM »

nirvana ushered in what i like to call the "fuckin poser era"

i wonder what nirvana die hards listen to these days? i say half the grunge crowd started dancing like backstreet and timberlake

nothing worse than rich kids acting poor, being poor i took that as a fuckin insult

anyhow nr moves me, fallin topieces doesnt, however ygnr and lta do move me, but ftp is just not happening for me like i thought it would

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2004, 07:43:20 AM »

Whoa.... slow down there, buddy.

"November Rain" might be the most lyrically complex song of 90's rock.

Let me just say you're WAY off if you think that song is about a girl.

So like I said, its a pretty simple song, lyrically.

Well, you're wrong again, but I guess there's no point in talking about "November Rain" when Contraband just came out with classics like "Fall to Pieces"...

Fall to pieces, I'm falling
Fell to pieces, and I'm still falling

I don't know how anyone could confuse this level of genius as simplistic. Weiland's explicit command of the past and present tense is enough to make your head spin.

You know... Slash clearly put a lot of effort into the guitar parts for that song, probably something he's been working on for a while. I'm surprised Slash fans aren't a bit annoyed at the way Weiland butchered the song. Maybe they can put together another reality television show to document their search for a legitimate songwriter.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2004, 09:41:27 AM »

Nirvana were far from posers.  Cobain and Co. changed the face of rock and roll and their influence remains today.  Kurt wrote amazing lyrics and beautifully simple and catchy songs.  Along with PearlJam, Soundgarden and AIC they appealed to a whole generation (Me Included).  Kids couldn't identify with an high octane, drug induced, sex-fest of glam rock any longer.  Instead they were in tune with the anger and depression of grunge. That was the reason for the change in scenery of rock & roll. IMO. But hey this (post or site) is far from a grunge discussion place so why is it always broought up.  G'n'R was as far from the grunge bands of the early '90's as you can get. We should stay on topic

And to say that Weiland is a terrible song writer?  Come on, Scott is a musical genius. He has it all. Wasn't it stated in an interview somewhere that he took all the VR songs apart and reconstructed them around his lyrics? anyway I thought I read that.  regardless throughout his career I thought he's been able to come up with amazing lyrics. And I don't think that you can exactly say Weiland doesn't have any vocal range.  I think he's one of the most talented singers I will see in my lifetime. But,hey, thats just my opinion

Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2004, 09:58:10 AM »

Nirvana didn't change shit. They were the most popular grunge band , yes. But they didn't change shit on their own, and Nevermind didn't change shit on it's own.

If you wanna delude yourself that Kurt came up with something different that no other band had done before, and hence caused a revolution in the blink of an eye then you're doing a huge disservice to the other grunge bands of the time.

Also, although Nirvana were popular and part of the grunge revolution before Kurts death, his death along with the Nevermind album became symbols of that era. So leading to them being used as the main point of reference when people look at what someone called "musical history".

There have been many changes to the music scene over the years and they should show how being the pioneer of a style or sound, or part of a movement is not the  same as being the most popular band of a movement.

Next someone will be telling me the Sex Pistols were responsible for punk and changed music forever.  Roll Eyes

@#$%Muther
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 10:00:53 AM by Mutherfunker » Logged
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2004, 10:54:21 AM »

Nirvana didn't change shit. They were the most popular grunge band , yes. But they didn't change shit on their own, and Nevermind didn't change shit on it's own.

If you wanna delude yourself that Kurt came up with something different that no other band had done before, and hence caused a revolution in the blink of an eye then you're doing a huge disservice to the other grunge bands of the time.

Not only were they the most popular.  But the FIRST to make it.  Then the others started to follow suit. And music did pretty much do a 180 because like I said glam rock was the way (Tesla, Poison, Warrant, G'n'R, Ozzy, Etc) screechey solos and high pitched singing was no longer 'cool' and monotone singing and simpler guitar riffs were. and,from what i remember, it was "overnight".

and I did say along with the other grunge bands, Nirvana appealed to a new generation of listeners

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2004, 11:32:03 AM »

i wonder what nirvana die hards listen to these days?

Nirvana, Mark Lanegan, QOTSA, NIN, Depeche Mode, Pearl Jam, Audioslave, VR, GN'R.....  Tongue

Do we NEED another Nirvana thread?

Some of you sure love to talk about Nirvana in the Guns N' Roses section.  confused

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2004, 12:21:03 PM »

Sorry jarmo! won't happen again.

justynius
Rocker

« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2004, 08:14:03 PM »

Do we NEED another Nirvana thread?

Sorry, that was my fault.

I mentioned Nirvana's "Nevermind" because the basis of that album seems to be limited to sound while ignoring any thought stimulating lyrical merit. Only the sound and never the mind.  Grin Because of the lyrical limitations on "Nevermind" compared to the complex lyrics in most of the "Use Your Illusions" songs like November Rain, I thought the Nirvana/GN'R comparison might be a viable analogy to what is holding back "Contraband."

I had no idea it would spin this thread off into hysterical insanity.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: