Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227867 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Village Gorilla Head thread (was: Just got Tommy's solo record!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Village Gorilla Head thread (was: Just got Tommy's solo record!)  (Read 33576 times)
jellyhead
Rocker

« on: July 23, 2004, 11:30:29 AM »

Just got home from work and found Tommy's new solo cd awaiting me.  Great!  Didn't think it was out until thr 26th but i've had my copy booked thru Play.co  for a while now.

I'm listening as i write this, it's sounds great.  Not particularly close to the GN'R sound, more like Jesse Malin meets The Replacements.  The first track Without a View is huge, it starts with subtle drum/electro loops and acoustic guitar and builds and builds.  Excellent.

The third track Somethings wrong sounds alot like something Izzy would do, rootys rock.  

The packaging features all the lyrics along with a few cool pictures of Tommy.  

There's a sticker on the front of the CD which says "Debut solo album from founder member of The Replacements".  Wouldn't be be better if it said "Debut album from the CURRENT GN'R BASSIST".  Seems like more people would buy it then?

But initial impressions are very good.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 11:56:13 AM by jarmo » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 11:45:42 AM »

Just got home from work and found Tommy's new solo cd awaiting me.  Great!  Didn't think it was out until thr 26th but i've had my copy booked thru Play.co  for a while now.

I'm listening as i write this, it's sounds great.  Not particularly close to the GN'R sound, more like Jesse Malin meets The Replacements.  The first track Without a View is huge, it starts with subtle drum/electro loops and acoustic guitar and builds and builds.  Excellent.

The third track Somethings wrong sounds alot like something Izzy would do, rootys rock.  

The packaging features all the lyrics along with a few cool pictures of Tommy.  

There's a sticker on the front of the CD which says "Debut solo album from founder member of The Replacements".  Wouldn't be be better if it said "Debut album from the CURRENT GN'R BASSIST".  Seems like more people would buy it then?

But initial impressions are very good.

Thanks for the info.  I was planning on buying the album.  I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Just out of curiosity, is there a list of thank you's in the liner notes?  If so, does he mention anyone from GN'R?

Ali
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 11:52:56 AM »

There is a list of "thank you's" but there's no mention of GN'R or Axl.  Saying that though the thanks you's are very short, only 4 or 5 people mentioned including his brother Duane!

Dizzy plays on 2 songs, Fortus plays on 3 and Josh Freece on 3 songs also.

After the first listen the song that sticks out the most is the title track "Village Gorrilla Head".  It sounds pretty different to everything else, programmed beats (i think) almost Dub.  Sounds like The Gorillaz!
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 12:49:07 PM »

I'll going to buy it once I get paid in about a week. This is the best it's going to get until CD comes out.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 12:55:40 PM »

There is a list of "thank you's" but there's no mention of GN'R or Axl.  Saying that though the thanks you's are very short, only 4 or 5 people mentioned including his brother Duane!

Dizzy plays on 2 songs, Fortus plays on 3 and Josh Freece on 3 songs also.

After the first listen the song that sticks out the most is the title track "Village Gorrilla Head".  It sounds pretty different to everything else, programmed beats (i think) almost Dub.  Sounds like The Gorillaz!

Thanks for answering the question.  This record sounds very intriguing.  I'm looking forward to hearing if Richard Fortus plays any lead parts on the songs.

Ali
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 02:20:27 PM »

Lol - if he had we'd all say he was 'exploiting' his position in GNR like Buckethead was/is

He can't win!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 05:48:08 PM »

I've heard nothing but enthusiasm for this record...Really excited and looking forward to it
LovedAlien
Opening Act

I'm Scott Weiland!

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 02:17:30 AM »

Yeah, it's a great album.  I'd say the best song is Hey You.

well if all is said and done
we're not the only ones....
madagas
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 01:54:49 PM »

I just listened to that Motivation download-it is damn good Stones/Replacements rock-down and dirty. Great sax work as well. I may have to buy this disc. ps not to start a fight, but it is much more "raw" rock/punk than anything on the slickly produced, snoozer Contraband.  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 02:00:09 PM by madagas » Logged
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 02:13:30 PM »

Just a reminder that you can download Motivation here:

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/artist/card/0,,497747,00.html?src=redirsearch&artist=Tommy+Stinson

I've seen enough.
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 11:23:19 AM »

Just went to my local record shop (the only one within walking distance), and when I asked about the record, I got a perplexed look usually reserved for drunken streaking incidents....damn
lastroots
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 02:11:42 PM »

Good album. Fun to listen to it. Nothing overwhelming, but still far better than some other recent releases.

/lastroots
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 02:11:44 PM »

Hey im new, i want to say hi to everyone, and i ordered VGH off amazon thinking i could listen to the free audio stream of the album, and if i didnt like it i could cancel the order. Well after i listened to it, the order changed to "shipping soon" meaning i couldnt cancel, but i liked it anyway. As someone said earlier, Without a View is great, a real standout

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 01:41:44 AM »

ANyone know if its on sale or cheap anywhere?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
fixintodie
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 04:32:08 AM »

Anyone know if it's worth $27? My local store has it on import for ?17.99 which is about $27 - I love  Tommy's playing in GN'R and he seems like a real cool guy but...y'know, I don't want to spend a small fortune on something I'll only play a couple of times. What do you think?

(I don't have a  creditcard, so no online ordering for me)
lastroots
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 04:34:15 AM »

Too expensive. Get it for 17 Euro on www.jpc.de or via amazon.

/lastroots
fixintodie
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 05:26:56 AM »

Well I would, but like I said, I don't have a credit card so I can't order online.  no
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 08:48:25 AM »

Anyone know if it's worth $27? My local store has it on import for ?17.99 which is about $27 - I love? Tommy's playing in GN'R and he seems like a real cool guy but...y'know, I don't want to spend a small fortune on something I'll only play a couple of times. What do you think?

Ask your record store if they can get you this album:

TOMMY STINSON
Album Title Label Cat. No 
Village Gorilla Head Sanctuary Records SANCD289

For more info on how to order or get the album, see http://www.sanctuaryrecords.co.uk/index1.htm (click Ordering Info).

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
fixintodie
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 10:00:18 AM »

My man Jarmo,
they already have it in - at ?17.99. I was just wondering if it's worth it. Generally I don't pay more than ?12.99 for a CD.
Andrew
Ewok
VIP

Art Student

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 10:10:24 AM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002ADXKC/qid=1091109977/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/202-7863018-5625419

?11.99+p&p

http://www.101cd.com/music/info.asp?id=810673

?11.99 + ?1 p&p

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=cdartist&searchstring=stinson&page=search&Go.x=25&Go.y=16

?10.99 Delivered
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: