Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:33:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Village Gorilla Head thread (was: Just got Tommy's solo record!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Village Gorilla Head thread (was: Just got Tommy's solo record!)  (Read 33575 times)
fixintodie
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2004, 10:20:30 AM »

Good price. But once again, I don't have a credit card.  hihi
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2004, 10:35:07 AM »

My man Jarmo,
they already have it in - at ?17.99. I was just wondering if it's worth it. Generally I don't pay more than ?12.99 for a CD.

Yeah, but you said it was an import. Sanctuary releases albums over in the UK as well so importing from USA seems stupid.

It's even out in Sweden so why not the UK?

Ask them again.  Grin

Did you look at the link? It says most major stores have Sanctuary's albums and that you can tell your local store to order the album using the catalogue number.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
fixintodie
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2004, 11:09:03 AM »

Then that might be my bad - I wasn't sure it was on general release in the UK, so I assumed it would be an import. It seems that the money grabbing bastards are just charging ?17.99 for the European release!  rant
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2004, 03:44:42 PM »

Got this album on Tuesday. Simply Incredible.
Time for the Nick Nasty Review Scale (1-5) N's: 1 N= Shit, 5  N's= Excellent:

Cover/Album Art: 3 N's--- Nothing spectacular, photos are pretty cool, and the liner notes are amusing, especially the artist credits.

Songs:4.5 N's out of 5 ( Lyrics 4, Music 3.5)---

Not being a big Punk fan, I was a tad worried going into this album that I would get  primarily punk heavy-short songs. I was dead wrong. This album runs the gamut from soul searching, mellow ballads ('Without a View', 'Light of Day') to ironic punkish offerings ('Something's Wrong') to hardcore rockers ('Motivation'). Tommy, as indicated by several interviews, has several musical influences that all show here. The music could easily be heard on any modern rock radio station, but luckily, since it was independently financed, was far more genuine and powerful than anything heard on there. Thank you, General Stinson, for keeping my hope in renewed rock alive.  ok

Overall Rating: 4.5 N's
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 03:57:40 PM by NickNasty » Logged

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2004, 04:57:56 PM »

I have been listening to the album for a few days now...heres my review

The album is fantastic. Like NickNasty I was expecting a punk type record. This record has a little bit of everything. Every single song is excellent. I really suggest you check out the album. Its got soul, punk and rock. Fortus' playing on Motivation and the other 2 songs are excellent.

The lyrics and overall vibe of the album is great as well. Without a View{U2 vibe) and Motivation could be hit single on any rock station. Great songs.

Go get the album. Its worth it....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
kujo722
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2004, 11:11:12 PM »

Well I've been listening to it for two days now and I'm really impressed with it. I have gone back and gotten any Replacement CD's I could find since Tommy joined GnR and I love them, so I was expecting/ hoping for something along those lines.

As already mentioned there is a wide variety of styles here that all blend very well. All the songs are solid yet you wont be hearing them on the radio in this crap heavy image over substance times.

My favorite song is the closer "Someday". I love when a c.d. ends on a high note and this one is a great closer, made me want to listen to the whole thing again and hold off playing the new Pearl Jam cd. Overall a damn good c.d. Is it going to change your life? No, but it just might restore your faith in the ability to still find some good Rock n Roll being made.
MrProxy
Rocker

Enjoy The Silence!

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2004, 06:49:01 AM »

damn its a realy great album!

beer

---------------------------------
Max 200; characters remaining: 130
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2004, 02:00:00 PM »

randomville.com review

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2004, 03:40:45 PM »

I agree with the Randomville review's point that Stinson has a Dylan-esque quality to his voice, particularly on tracks like 'Light of Day' and 'Hey You.' Again, this album shows Tommy as more than an incredible bassist or back-up vocalist, which GNR and Mats fans already knew he was, but as a complete performer with alot of musical sensibility.

---Nick Nasty--

madagas
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2004, 09:25:33 PM »

This is a REALLY good album. I am more than impressed. Out of all the releases by Gnr members, ex members, etc etc, this album and Izzy's first Ju Ju Hounds album are clearly the cream of the crop.....including *gasp* Contraband! Good lyrics, catchy songs, and an eclectic mix of styles. Fortus plays some incredible cello and guitar...Dizzy's keys on the title track are very cool as well. Axl has a shit load of talent, let's hope he uses it. peace
holidayidol
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2004, 10:22:58 PM »

You've got Paul Westerberg of course, who was a bandmate with Tommy....and Tommy is close friends and collaborates with Jesse Malin....who is close friend and collaborator with Ryan Adams. And all 4 are very close in style/genre with their solo records. I like all four very much.

(But I didn't mention that Ryan Adams and Paul Westerberg hate each others guts  hihi).
holidayidol
Rocker

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2004, 10:24:16 PM »

Out of all the releases by Gnr members, ex members, etc etc, this album and Izzy's first Ju Ju Hounds album are clearly the cream of the crop...

Ahhaha, I told someone this on Thursday.
RichardNixon
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2004, 10:51:55 PM »

I got this album for ten bucks at Newberry Comics. While I don't like it as much as The Replacements, it's still a cool album. Stinson is a very good songwriter. Maybe Tommy Stinson is the new Izzy Stradlin of GN'R, in terms of being a great songwriter...which is something GNR lost after Izzy left the group.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2004, 10:54:15 PM »

The question as to how much inout Stinson has/had in terms of adding to new GNR material remains to be seen, Mr. Nixon, but we can only hope he was able to put in his two cents here and there Wink.

---Nick Nasty--

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2004, 08:53:01 AM »

Source:? New York Post (newspaper), Sunday, August 1, 2004
This week's CDs
By Dan Aquilante

TOMMY STINSON
"Village Gorilla Head"
* * * (Three out of Four Stars Rating)

Sanctuary Records[/b]

WITH one of the finest pedigrees in rock music, former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson delivers a record you have to work at to appreciate. The rewards are there, even though on first listen it may seem scattered.

After a few spins, it becomes easy to connect the dots between these stylistically varied tunes. This disc really illustrates Stinson's musical vocabulary.

Pay attention to the lyrics, and you'll be impressed by how perceptive they are; the melodies are equally memorable. Listen for the catchy pop of "Hey You" and the jangly rock of "Something's Wrong."

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2004, 10:00:37 AM »

I cant stop listening to this album!

Are the Replacement albums similar to this album?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2004, 12:29:45 PM »

Pretty good album  ok  Overall, I think Tommy fares better on stripped accoustic songs.
My favourites right now  are : "Without a view", "Motivation" and "Light of day".

I find this line in the liner notes hilarious :
"If I have a large check waiting for me or I won some sweepstakes, you can contact my manager xxx xxx " and then he goes on to give the contact details of his manager  hihi

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2004, 05:33:07 PM »

got it at best buy on tuesday...

really luvin' the album

Tommy is a great songwriter

I too really like 'Without a View', 'Light of Day'...
Love 'It's OK"....? I can picture a video for this one? ok
Couldn't Wait....? ?Smiley Bite Your Tongue? Cheesy

Just a great, great album!

love Tommy? love
Congratulations Tommy!
madagas
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2004, 02:24:20 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story?id=6391242&pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1
Good review in Rolling Stone!
K-Rock
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2004, 04:37:54 PM »

Not so good review from Barnes & Noble:

While the following suggestion certainly sounds far more ominous than intended, one gets the feeling that hanging out with Axl Rose has started to rub off on Tommy Stinson. The former Replacements bassist has been a member of the Chinese Democracy-era edition of Guns N' Roses for a few years at this writing, and just as Rose seems oddly intent upon beating all the rock & roll fun out of his brave new version of G n' R, Stinson's first proper solo album, Village Gorilla Head, is significantly short on the rave-up excitement and loopy enthusiasm of his earlier sets with Bash & Pop and Perfect. Which isn't to say that Stinson has completely lost his sense of humor or his inclinations toward straight-ahead rock & roll -- just check out the Stones-style raunch of "Motivation" and "Something's Wrong," the ace Ronnie Lane lift of "Hey You," and the onslaught of attitudinal snot of "Bite Your Tongue" and you'll get some much needed reassurance about the state of Stinson's abilities. But the electro-processed spookiness of "Without a View" and the title track suggest he's been listening to trip hop without really figuring how to do it himself, "Couldn't Wait" is blunt hard rock lacking in both hooks and swing, and most of the cuts on this album lack a much-needed ?lan -- the songs are solid, the playing is great, but there's a certain sweat-inducing passion that's in unfortunately short supply. There's just enough good stuff on Village Gorilla Head to remind listeners of the scruffy kid with the flawless rock instincts they knew as Tommy Stinson, but at the same time there's a bunch of stuff suggesting that maturity and a more serious outlook are taking a toll upon him. Here's some advice: less Guns N' Roses, more Minus 5 in your musical diet, Tommy. Mark Deming

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=ye7CSXn9kc&ean=60768469228

Hit the link and you can sample 30 seconds of each song.? I'm not too sold on it myself.....a little too Dylanesque for my taste.? Seems like this is a record that would take me about 5-10 listens to appreciate.? I'll probably buy it like I did a bunch of Bucket's cds.....which I've grown tiresome of.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: