Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 08:11:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Young fans, will they accept GN'R and make them big again?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Young fans, will they accept GN'R and make them big again?  (Read 23613 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2005, 02:32:28 PM »

You know what's funny? I saw the Crue in '97 and the place was half empty, maybe 7000 fans showed. But in March, it was almost a sellout, like 17,000. Go figure.

simple.. Because the fans were looking down on the crue then.. Same reason no one cared for sftd, omg live era, or scom off the big daddy soundtrack,.. manson rage limp tail end of grunge were still looking at these rock icons as carry over from the hair metal era.. 1994 to about 99 was no great time for bands from the 80's to make a comeback.. The same people who were like crue or gnr were 80's cheese or hair bands in the mid to late 90's are looking at them as legends and the trend is classic rock now//

Grunge was dead by '95. SFTD got some airplay, I still here it now and again.

but you're missing my point..  The mid to late 90's were from the grunge era to the kid rock limp korn manson era........ Those people frowned on bands from the 80's.. I have never heard sftd since 1994, and I have never heard omg since late 99 in nyc q104.3 a big clasic rock station, and K rock 92.3.. Gnr n motley crue were still looked at as the groups destroyed by grunge and metal cheese
RichardNixon
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2005, 01:07:20 AM »

Well, I'd argue '96-'99 was post grunge (Bush. 7 Mary 3) and '99-03 was Nu-Metal.

I think that although some people turned their backs on GN'R in the mid-to-late 90s, its cool to like Guns again.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2005, 11:35:59 AM »

do you think the younger generation are gonna appretiate gnr and accept them into there record collection or will they think they are just old what with the music out now.

they will accept them because afd is a must have album for any person getting into rock..  They have past the labels and become icons of classic rock
Speedy0587
Headliner

Go Bananas!

« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2005, 01:23:08 PM »

I'm 18 from Philadelphia (wish my mom would have let me go to the concert in 2002, although it was cancelled).

I can't recall exactly when I got into Guns N' Roses. I have always had a thing for November Rain and I guess when my taste for good music was still developing around 6th or 7th grade I got into them. I wasn't a hardcore fan then but just listened to the radio and whenever they would come on I would crank up the radio. Through the years I've become a much much bigger fan and now Im eagerly awaiting Chinese Democracy like everyone else here.

My friends (who's musical tastes range from 50 Cent to Zeppelin to Fall Out Boy) generally seem to like what they have heard from Guns N' Roses (I assume its basically whats on the Greatest Hits package). Allot of people I know did go out and buy the Greatest Hits CD. They love the sound of the older band and I guess they do not really know about the New version of Guns N' Roses. I always try to play the new songs or the videos I get offline when they are around and they are just like "Yeah thats cool but its not Slash and the others, Its just Axl".

I've also been noticing lots of kids sporting GNR t-shirts, hats, patches, etc, etc. Stores like Hot Topic sell GNR chapstick, socks, and underwear. Its nice to see lots of people wearing their clothes considering many of these kids probably don't know about the new band and may only like the harder rock sounding songs from the Appetitte era.

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2005, 01:49:49 PM »

You know what's funny? I saw the Crue in '97 and the place was half empty, maybe 7000 fans showed. But in March, it was almost a sellout, like 17,000. Go figure.

simple.. Because the fans were looking down on the crue then.. Same reason no one cared for sftd, omg live era, or scom off the big daddy soundtrack,.. manson rage limp tail end of grunge were still looking at these rock icons as carry over from the hair metal era.. 1994 to about 99 was no great time for bands from the 80's to make a comeback.. The same people who were like crue or gnr were 80's cheese or hair bands in the mid to late 90's are looking at them as legends and the trend is classic rock now//
The truth of the matter is, all bands regardless of how popular they were are going to experience peaks and valleys in their career.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2005, 08:16:21 PM »

As a 19 year old I feel like I'm able to answer this question quite well...
1. ?VH and Crue are generally listened to by the white kids in our neighborhood, sorry if I come off racist here but it's like immigrants here outnumber the white kids by like 10 to 1. ?GNR gets totally more attention, by the white kids.
2. ?I got hooked on GNR through the Greatest Hits album, it really started when I was downloading music for my hockey games and I listened to jungle and you could be mine lots.
3. ?GNR aren't necessarily 'cool' nowadays, they're basically viewed as classic rock and not much more.

To go with the 3rd point, the 'cool' kids are generally the Fitty gangstas acting all dangerous. ?Now I'm an Asian, and the general conception is that Asians dress like pussies with the tight jeans and big hair. ?I don't claim to be dangerous, but I feel a sense of 'levelled' playing field when I know GNR dressed like pussies too, and they were just as dangerous as Fitty or MIKE JONES!..... ?who? ... ?MIKE JONES! ?Anyways yeeah I'm influenced by the media a little too much.... crying

4. ?I guess I'm a new fan, I've been listening to them for like two/three years.

LMAO that was the funniest post I've read since I've come back.? hihi

I'm too old to answer this thread, but I've dated three 19 year old girls this year who loved GNR, not as a fan of the band so much, but just the music.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2005, 12:27:51 AM »

I've always been under the impression that the "younger generation" accepts them already.  Isn't the majority of posters on some of these sites younger kids?  Wasn't Axl voted #2 coolest "older person" by teenagers?   So, I don't think there will be a problem. 
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2005, 05:24:14 PM »

Weird reading thru High Schooler's posts about GnR in 2005.  When I was 14, Sweet Child O Mine just came out and GnR were just starting to take the rock world over.  And everybody liked them, headbangers, stoners, jocks, guidos, preppies, nerds, poular, unpopular.  A group of guys at this lip sycnh contest and dressed up like GnR and "played" SCOM.  The whole fucking room went ape shit when "Slash" played the solo and "Axl" did his bit at the end.  The voting wasn't even close as GnR got this huge standing O.  For a fucking lip synch contest. 

Thinking back to then, it's a shame what became of the band the last 14 years or so.
BORN TO DIE
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2005, 11:42:45 AM »

IMHO new generation like shitty stuff like TOKYO HOTEL ( hihi),GREEN SUCK DAY ( crying)
MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE ( drool Lips Sealed rant),and etc,they accepte it ,but not fast as people back in the days.

WHY DONT YOU JUST.....FUCK OFF

HOPE U NEVER FIND HOB 01.01.2001 (LMAO )

Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
NorthwindNS
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2005, 09:34:18 AM »

I'm 17 years old. I am obsessed with GNR.

Ask any of my friends who my favorite band is and they will say GNR. I have done my share of promotion for the band down here on Cape Cod, lmao.

Anyways, most of the kids in my generation have no good taste for music. Most kids like that queer ass rap shit. AH! I can't stand that shit!!!!

Anyways, to answer your question. Some of us will, and some of us won't.

NICK
Krash
Opening Act

You could be mine! If your a chick!

« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2005, 04:41:57 AM »

I teach guitar in a small northern Minnesota town. I'm 29 years old and have been into GnR since the late 80s.? Aside from my little brother (age 17) and my second cousin (age 15). Nobody gives a crap about hereing GnR in their age group other hearing one of us noodle the opening from SCOM.
And I'm willing to bet that isnt even true admiration for GnR. The reaction is probably based on the fact that these kid's are seeing someone play live guitar in the first place drool
? I think Axl is gonna have to go for that duet with Eminem.? Half (or over) of the teens buying music today would look at the back photo of one of my favorite records like AFD and say "What a bunch of fags".
? The danger side of west coast rock and the passions of Slash's solos would be totally lost on younger folks today.? It's going to take Axl a lot of trendy wheeling and dealing to pull off massive success with CD.? I'm not saying that he won't be able to do it. Just at what cost.? The new GnR lineup will alienate a lot of diehards from "back in the day".? Any great amount of success that the new GnR has will be short lived compared to the original line-up.? Sad but true.
? I wish Axl would call this new GnR line up "AXL ROSE"!
Imagine Black Sabbath without Toni Iommi. Yuck....LOL

ps. Ya know what........? A long time ago back in 1973.? There was a faction of Bruce Lee disciples who believed he didnt die but instead went into a 10 year hiatus.? That's what this waitin' on Chinese Democracy reminds me of...lol.? I hope it's worth it!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 04:50:25 PM by Krash » Logged

"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth..." -- Ken Foree, Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2005, 01:03:21 AM »

Grab a cold drink people, cuz I'm having a flashback.  (By the way, I'm from Los Angeles and I'm 17)

The First Time I heard Guns N' Roses was at Dodger Stadium.  The closer (Eric Gagne) has Welcome To The Jungle as his entrance song.  Now by all means, he's a terrific pitcher, but when that song goes on, people go crazy.  I liked the song a whole lot, and I downloaded it.  I didn't know anything about the band, but I liked the song.

A few weeks later, I was going through my cousins CD collection (he's 29) and I found AFD.  I looked at the back and saw the guys, and the first song was WTTJ.  AWESOME!  So I borrowed the CD, and my oh my, that first time listening to the album was amazing.  By the way, this is in 2005, and I didn't even know about GH.  I just listened to AFD over and over.  When I returned AFD, I saw that there was another GN'R album, UYI2.  So I listened and loved it.  From that point forward, there was no looking back.  I bought all their CD's, DVD's.  I converted my best friend, who used to listen to that alternative junk they have on the radio these days and he thought it was real rock.  I started wearing GN'R shirts to school, and people were interested. 

One day in class this semester, we had a substitute.  The sub was laid back and all.  So I popped in Welcome To The Videos.  My classmates went wild!  They just wanted more and more.  And these are your high school kids who listen to the new crap.  Guns N' Roses is sweeping my school like a wave, and the gunners who were afraid to show their true colors are out of their shell in a way, because the ones who like gangster rap and punk and that stuff, their still the same, but the cats in the neutral corner seem to have shifted to the good side.  I'm sure the other kids who just followed the lead are just doing it to be cool, but heck, I'm glad that GN'R is cool again.

P.S. All the Nirvana people just "disappeared."  peace
im rickjames bitch
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2005, 04:46:45 AM »

id say the crue would be more popular cause of there reunion tour. van halen havent done anything VH III so i dont think many of todays youth know them. i dont know about GNR. i think everyone would at least have heard paradise city, SCOM or november rain in there life wether tthey liked it or not. bon jovi and metallica are 2 80s rock acts that have remained really popular. if u call bon jovi rock, i do.
gnr85
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2005, 06:38:31 AM »

I'm 20 and i have been a fan for as long as i can rember mostly b/c of my dad always playing AFD and mymy mom always getting pissed when we sat around and cranked One In A Million yes

here in middle america most kids do what Hot Topic tells them to......new Gnr merch blankets,t-shits,stickers,patches, and bands like Avenged 7fold wear the swag as well 

so fans are around but  its all hot topic bullshit but hell its fans

It Tastes Good Don't It?
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2005, 12:45:20 PM »

well     i gave a friend of mine some songs from gnr, mostly old ones + oh my god. when i visited him after a while he said the song he liked most was oh my god....... beer

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2005, 02:34:12 PM »

For my senior high school year book (2003), we voted on our favorite bands...GN'R came in 3rd!  Bon Jovi came in 2nd, and I'm ashamed to say who came in 1st.  I honestly think there are a lot of young people out there who like GN'R.  Most aren't as obsessed as us, but there is a decent young fanbase out there.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2005, 03:45:03 PM »

IMHO new generation like shitty stuff like TOKYO HOTEL ( hihi),GREEN SUCK DAY ( crying)
MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE ( drool Lips Sealed rant),and etc,they accepte it ,but not fast as people back in the days.

so true god mcr sucks so bad, and greenday keep playing the same shit in a new dressing over and over,, Their lead singer sounds the same on every song.. I can give them credit that they are good live and they made a good song in wake me up when sept ends along with a heart felt vid.. Still though they are not some rock gods as they are portrayed...

shit like new found glory or yellow card stays big, how I'll never know.. One theory for me si tese guys look like the kids they are catering to.. Back in the day band's members seemed like adults,.. Todays bands look like the kids..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2005, 04:25:41 PM »

well     i gave a friend of mine some songs from gnr, mostly old ones + oh my god. when i visited him after a while he said the song he liked most was oh my god....... beer

I'd say the same.  beer
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2005, 05:50:50 PM »

It's about taste...
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2005, 06:19:45 PM »

Well here in Ireland, my brother(16) and his friends and other people younger than me are all into rap and some with the more diverse music collections respect GNR but arent fans. My brother actually said to me one day "turn that shit off" in response to me playing Appetite. So NO to the original question.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: