Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 05:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DOES ANYBODY ELSE REALIZE HOW SIGNIFICANT IT IS AXL HAS HIS VOICE BACK
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DOES ANYBODY ELSE REALIZE HOW SIGNIFICANT IT IS AXL HAS HIS VOICE BACK  (Read 28436 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »

i agree with most of your points jarmo.  Axl certainly puts a lot of effort in and i think thats the main reason for the solo's and jams.  (he needs a rest sometimes).

As a guitar player though, i also feel for bands like Slayer.  It would be very hard to play guitar for 3 hours at that speed, even if they do just stand there.   hihi

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »

There may be better "technical" singers, but rock n roll has never had a better all around singer. By "good singer," I don't mean technicalities like range and key etc., I mean the ability to communicate ones emotions and feelings in a variety of ways. Axl can do it. There is an earthy, visceral and organic vibe to his vocals that Halford, Tyler, Dickinson, Dio, Bach, Chris Cornell,  etc. lack. Axl can do everything. He can sing very low and very high, but he also does more with his vocals than just "hit the right notes." It is not just what you have, but what you do with what you have, and Axl is the master.  He can sound scratchy, raspy, screechy, or bluesy. There is a rawness and honesty in his vocals that the other great rock singers can't even begin to touch. Most of the other legendary rock singers sound like high voltage opera singers on steroids, which is cool and impressive, but it doesn't cut right through to your core. Their vocals are smooth and refined, but they lack the soulful cry, angst, pain, and yearning that Axl is able to communicate.

inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »

Jarmo is right about Axl not just sounding great, but moving around the stage so much as well -- WHILE he's singing his guts out! I played a friend of mine some youtube clips of the new shows. i told him they're playing 2 1/2-3+ hours each night and he said that's what he's used to -- he's only really into jam bands like Phish, Moe, etc. and they play long (and, to me, extremely boring) shows. The first clip i played, he said "I gotta tell you, i'm not used to seeing the singer move. Like, at all". So yeah, a Guns show packs a helluva lot more into that time frame than a band just standing around playing. Btw, my friend said to definitely let him know when they're coming around here. He's pissed he didn't go to Toronto with us.

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2010, 08:46:58 PM »

Yes, I agree. On top of Axl's amazing singing, he is a genuine entertainer with almost inexhaustible stamina. How many blues rock/pop/metal/hard rock frontmen do you know who actually dance, move, and "feel" the music? Gnr have that lose, bluesy swagger to their music that separates them from other hard rock/metal bands. Often, in those metal bands the singer just stands in front of his mic or behind his guitar, head-banging. But Axl doesn't just dance, he runs around the stage, kicking, swaying, slithering, jumping, and spinning, while still finding time for some offensive hand gestures.
To me, the only similar comparison is Mick Jagger. I remember watching him in 94 during the Voodoo Lounge tour and being blown away by his constant movement and stage presence.  I was 15 and in 10th grade. Mick was 51 (4 years older than Axl) at the time and seemed ancient to me, but he was mesmerizing nonetheless. Axl puts everything he has into his show. Clearly he has been keeping in physical shape just like Mick Jagger. Most guys in their 20s and 30s couldn't run around a stage for 2 1/2 hours while singing at the top of their lungs. It is hard enough to just talk in a normal voice after jogging for 30 minutes, let alone sing. Axl is a rock n roll phenomenon. No one better.
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2010, 11:42:32 AM »

And about he is singing worst than 2006 if you read im talking about he is warming up and finding the tones as always has been

confused

You're too much into your theory. You know the saying: seeing is believing.

You will see,its happening slowly,look at the this i love performances.Hes singing better and better.

that happened in 2006 and in every tour of every fuckin band.Thats not a teory is the normal thing.
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2010, 11:48:58 AM »

And about he is singing worst than 2006 if you read im talking about he is warming up and finding the tones as always has been

confused

You will see,its happening slowly,look at the this i love performances.Hes singing better and better.

that happened in 2006 and in every tour of every fuckin band.Thats not a teory is the normal thing.
an by the way,iron maiden play long sets always not 3h but they play 2hand 15min for ex.without solos.but i like guns and maiden.the only thing iv said that bruce dikcinson jumps,moves and run a lot more than axl right now.but i really like both,and yes 3 h singing with the rasp is something to be proud of.
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »

Axl's voice 2010>2007>2006>2001.

Exactly right. The fact is Axl is as good now as he has ever been in a live environment.

I can't help but wish GNR would put out a live CD/DVD to showcase this fact - along with the fact that this lineup is as musically raw and adept as any to carry the Guns name. I don't want to start a new thread on it, but I would love to know if anyone who's in a position to ask knows where Axl stands on the idea of a live release at this point.

Can anyone deny that this is the most optimistic and positive feeling time for GNR since the mid 90s? It seems like a shame not to have an official document of it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:25:53 PM by TomFriend » Logged

And there goes the challenger...
Gunsguy
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2010, 09:55:11 PM »

He sounds great live these days, like really great if you have not been to a show try and get to one, youtube vids sound ok but in real life, just WOW!  Not only does he sound great he seems very happy on stage ok
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »

I don't think Axl's voice went anywhere to be honest.

Every singers voice changes throughout their career, whether it's a different tone, pitch or depth. Everybody goes on about 2002 being bad, when personally I loved his voice back then as well. It worked really well on songs like 'Street Of Dreams' 'Madagascar' and many more. People also go on about the VMA 2002 performance, when I believe Axls voice was on top form also. The opening scream was amazing, just listen to how long he held it for. And after that long scream he had the job of not only singing but running and dancing. But many people also regard the Madagascar performance from that same show as the best live version ever, even though it wasn't the full song.

So my point is, Axl's voice has always been there. When you also take into account that he never performed publicly from 1994 - 2000, I think you have to say Axl's done well to keep his voice in such good shape.

Lee
suntorytime
Rocker

Kiyoshiro Forever

« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2010, 08:18:05 AM »

confused

Look, no one is denying that Axl and the band get better and better. And No. Bands often get tired being on the road long.

That's not the point. What im saying is you are wrong in assuming he sings worse now than in 2006. Fyi, the worst is worse than the worse.

The truth is, he sounded greater than ever even at the beginning of the tour in dec 2009 in person. No one that saw GN'R both on this tour and in 2006/7 would disagree. Some people even say he and the band sounded better than on the albums.
But, guess they couldn't be because that's against your theory, hah?
I was there for gods sake.

End of the discussion.
bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2010, 03:40:50 PM »

Axl appears to sound the best he has in the last 10 years right now IMHO

serp616
Rocker

« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »

axl sounds fucking great live nowadays, as do the band.....
but still, axl blows it on some of the new songs....he still has a little work to do there, but all in all....it sounds like a monster that's been unleashed.
after watching/listening to the recent boots everything sounds  way better than 06....
superstarmc
Rocker

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2010, 07:33:01 AM »

Axl appears to sound the best he has in the last 10 years right now IMHO

Very True.
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »

They sounded great in 2006 and 2007.

They sound better now.

Does Iron Maiden do three hour sets?

As I've pointed out, comparing GN'R to other acts is lame.

Nobody does what GN'R does. It's that simple.

You can go to a concert by some other band and think "wow, that's a high energy show". Fair enough.

Then you realize the band walks around on stage playing fast songs while the crowd are the ones supplying the energy.

Or the band plays for less than two hours...

Or you forget that nobody sings like Axl.

Not many people seem to take these things into account when comparing shows.

/jarmo

Absolutely right! ok

Oh My God i cant deny this...
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2010, 08:00:17 AM »

confused

Look, no one is denying that Axl and the band get better and better. And No. Bands often get tired being on the road long.

That's not the point. What im saying is you are wrong in assuming he sings worse now than in 2006. Fyi, the worst is worse than the worse.

The truth is, he sounded greater than ever even at the beginning of the tour in dec 2009 in person. No one that saw GN'R both on this tour and in 2006/7 would disagree. Some people even say he and the band sounded better than on the albums.
But, guess they couldn't be because that's against your theory, hah?
I was there for gods sake.

End of the discussion.
Ok,forget it.We are in the same boat,i really liked all the shows,bi only said that i didnt like how he singed some songs( sorry,this i love,catcher and twat).But yes,the show were awsome,as always has been
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »

Its a breathe of fresh air actually! im gonna be honest, when i saw this new gnr thing the first time in 2002, i thought Axl was finished! I was really really happy when i saw Axl with his voice back in the hammerstein shows in 2006.

But now his voice is even better! He was probably just out of shape in 2002.

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2010, 08:49:27 AM »

some people on this board are completly deaf.

in 2002 Axl's voice was clearer yes, and it probably didn't fit for all songs no, but on certains ones like KOHD my god, it was just astonishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RamNJSGQsKM

plus, his voice was incredibly strong and powerful, as never in Guns history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j06dVpEZn_U&

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2010, 09:05:10 AM »

I wonder if he's got lessons, or quit smoking or something..?
His voice is really really really quite phenomenal again. He's better than he was even on the illusion tour.  Maybe he's just fitter? He is a bit fatter though. Would like to see him drop that then he can be my poster idol again. He looked kinda cool in 07.

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »

some people on this board are completly deaf.

in 2002 Axl's voice was clearer yes, and it probably didn't fit for all songs no, but on certains ones like KOHD my god, it was just astonishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RamNJSGQsKM

plus, his voice was incredibly strong and powerful, as never in Guns history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j06dVpEZn_U&

Dont agree with this. I was really disappointed with Axl in 2002, but i do think that had to do with Cardio and maybe who knows for the fact he was recording the tracks to Chinese Democracy and he wanted to keep his rasp intact for the recordings.
I hate when he sang like that. The only song i like more without the rasp is Madagascar.
I think it basically had to do with cardio and with the fact that Axl was in a hiatus for so long, in terms of touring. It happens....  i honestly thought Axl was finished, and i can see now how unfair that thought was, because its just not true.

In 2006 Axl was amazing, when i heard him sing at those New York shows i was really relieved and in shock that Axl was back in black! It was an amazing moment to be a GNR fan, no doubt, and with the leaks after, i have to say that 2006 and 2007 were the best years to be a gnr fan!

in 2010 Axl sounds even better, the good thing about his voice now, is that he sounds just like in the records or even more powerful, it reminds me when GNR ripped the world apart in 87/88.

Soori
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »

I went to see GNR for the first time at the O2 Arena in London. I took my friend with me whose not into GNR or rock. Hes into his Indian music and hip hop etc etc.

He was absolutely shocked  Shocked  to see how good Axl's voice was/is. I have turned my friend into a GNR fan now  Grin He kept on going on about it after the show. Lets be frank, Axl is nearly 50 years old. Its not easy to sing and run around like a mad man. Hes a brilliant front man. His voice is incredibly strong and powerful. You have to give the guy credit. Hes a LEGEND. Brilliant voice and a fantastic front man.   Smiley

Not many people can do what he does at his age.

Forever W.AXL ROSE!!!  peace
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: