Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:10:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  August 13th, 2010 Sturgis, SD (Rock 'N Rev Festival) - UPDATES ONLY
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: August 13th, 2010 Sturgis, SD (Rock 'N Rev Festival) - UPDATES ONLY  (Read 47792 times)
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »

Are people that naive to think that assholes only throw shit when bands are not on at 9PM/10PM/11PM sharp?

Remember Download 2006 when the band went on BEFORE their scheduled set time and still got shit thrown at them....

It's often about trying to get attention and impress whoever these assholes are trying to impress.  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Yeah, unfortunately there are many different types of douchebags. And for some reason, these assholes all think they are so cool.

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2010, 05:12:13 PM »

People would've blamed Axl regardless.  Even if they made an announcement about the reasons for the delay, a good number of people would've thoght, "Yeah right.  Axl just isn't ready to go on yet.  What an ass!"

People have their minds made up about Axl and they'll place the blame on him no matter what.

Those are the idiots who should just stay home.

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
awolgnr
Headliner

Don't you think that you need somebody?

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »

http://foxradio.com/?p=news/gunners_blog/guns_n_roses_part_one

Someone please help!  I'm not computer savvy enough to get the pics posted here, but if you follow this link I posted some pics from before the show.

I've been where I have been and I've seen what I have seen...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »

Nice.

The pics are kinda big so it might be better to just click the link and view them there....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Huh

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
awolgnr
Headliner

Don't you think that you need somebody?

« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »

Yeah I clicked one link and it said there was a network problem (the bottom one).  The other one on top worked for me when I tested it.  You can also navigate in by starting at www.foxradio.com and clicking on Gunner's Blog near the top on the tool bar.

I've been where I have been and I've seen what I have seen...
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »

The top link worked for me. Cool story along with the photos. Lucky guy

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2010, 06:50:08 PM »

Someone please help!  I'm not computer savvy enough to get the pics posted here, but if you follow this link I posted some pics from before the show.
THANKS FOR SHARING awolgnr  ok

Here's the pics but you still need to click that ^ link to read the blog and also these two links for the podcasts.

http://foxradio.com/?p=news/foxcasts/dj_ashba_gnr_on_the_fox

http://foxradio.com/?p=news/foxcasts/dizzy_reed_gnr_calls_the_fox

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2010, 07:06:24 PM »

So in general is an Ozzy concert in the US more popular than GN'R? It's certainly not like that in the UK. GN'R are playing two huge festival sites (Reading & Leeds) and are still filling 3 of the main arena's later in the year.

Also I always hear people saying Rock is not popular in the US...But Avenged Sevenfold are number 1. Surely ACDC and Aerosmith must play big arenas? Why has the country turned it's back on Axl?

Not sure about concert popularity, as GN'R play next to none in the U.S.  But Ozzy himself has more marquee appeal these days for various reasons.  Aside from his wacky family show 'The Osbournes', he's a living legend who is largely credited for pioneering hard rock/metal with Black Sabbath.  But, the one thing that sets him apart from Axl/GN'R is Ozzy gets off his ass and promotes his work, whereas Axl, god love him, either has better things to do or always has legal issues or whatever.  He didn't lift one finger to promote Chinese Democracy which still baffles me to this day.  No matter what kind of management/record label/Best Buy/etc conflicts there were -- to let the most hyped, long-waited, and mythic rock album in the history of music drop and do next to nothing to promote it is just beyond me and always will be unless Axl explains it in detail someday.  People will always argue that Chinese Democracy "did well considering...[insert scapegoat]", but compared to long-awaited expectations - it flopped in the U.S.....HARD.  And again, people will argue that no matter how well it sold, the mainstream's long-term expectations were impossible to meet.  While that may be true in some cases, if the album had actually sold 1 million within a week or two (with fans buying the albums, not Best Buy), that would've made a stronger statement that GN'R were back and Axl's 14 years to make the album were justified.  This was not the case.

When Ozzy was about to release Scream he was all over the place.  Every time I skimmed through news I saw something about him popping up somewhere to promote the album.  Now, of course sales for Scream weren't that great but I believe that to be largely in part due to Zakk Wylde not manning the axe for the first time in over 20 years.  The album simply wasn't that great.

Chinese Democracy was fantastic.  But, the only real promotion it got was the controversy with Dr. Pepper and everyone who could get through to their website got a free can of soda.  If not for that, roughly no one in the U.S. outside the hardcore Gunners would've known the album was coming out.  The marketing campaign (or lack thereof) was all wrong.  They put out Chinese Democracy (the track) as the first single........flop.  A video for Better, the best mainstream track on the disc, was said to be coming within a week of the album's release..........still waiting (unless I've missed something).  And there was no sign of Axl anywhere on the face of the earth until the Billboard interview, weeks after the album's release.

Internationally, Chinese Democracy sold really well which might explain why GN'R only tour overseas.  The U.S. is full of happy fad-fan fake-jobs who only follow what's hot in the media and proceed to mindlessly lambaste and slam everything that isn't.  GN'R hasn't been HOT in the U.S. since the Illusion era.  After most fans' favorite lineup disbanded, Axl went into hiding, and unconfirmed rumors of a new album swirled for years and years only to have the U.S. mainstream balk at the 2002 incarnation of Guns with Axl not at his best and producing a failed tour -- the haters had the all the fuel they needed to label Axl as the hard rock anti-christ.  International fans are much more loyal and don't really care or get caught up in stupid media bashing.

I don't blame him for wanting to tour overseas.  Sucks for real fans like me who live in the states and would gladly slap down my hard-earned money for a couple concert tickets.  But, the cold reality is most people in this country are fad-driven and have no idea what they really like until they reach a certain age.  And unfortunately, when you're an old school band and are trying to fill an arena, you need more than the mainstream's mindless puppets.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2010, 10:44:46 PM »

Here is what I could find on the show in Stugis.  A couple of these have been posted before but I thought I'd put them all in one post:

Guns N' Roses: First U.S. Show in 4 Years

Sturgis, South Dakota, was home to the world's largest motorcycle rally last weekend, as some 500,000 bikers rolled into the tiny town of 5,981 residents for the five music-filled days of the Rock N' Rev festival.

This year's headliners: Guns N' Roses, playing their first open-to-the-public U.S. concert in four years!

More than 20 others bands, including Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Wolfmother, Eagles of Death Metal, Creed, and Hinder, also performed at the fest, held at the 22,000-capacity Rock N' Rev Amphitheater in Sturgis.

And, as can be expected when half a million booze-guzzling bikers and hard rock bands descend on the same small town, not everything went smoothly. According to the Rapid City Journal, GNR took the stage at 12:50 A.M. Saturday morning, nearly 90 minutes late, due to technical glitches. Fans were not happy. Some threw beers onstage or left the show before the band's set started.

When Axl Rose and Co. finally took the stage, they delivered a high-octane set full of classics like "Welcome to the Jungle," "Mr. Brownstone," and "November Rain," plus cuts from their latest album, Chinese Democracy, like "Madagascar." See their complete 22-song set list below.

SPIN contributing photog Jordan Axtman was on the scene in Sturgis shooting live pics of all the bands performing at Rock N Rev.

Guns N' Roses setlist:
"Chinese Democracy"
"Welcome to the Jungle"
"It's So Easy"
"Mr. Brownstone"
"Sorry"
(Richard Fortus guitar solo)
"Live and Let Die" (Paul McCartney cover)
"This I Love"
"Rocket Queen"
(Dizzy Reed piano solo)
"Street of Dreams"
"You Could Be Mine"
(DJ Ashba guitar solo)
"Sweet Child O' Mine"
(Instrumental Jam)
(Axl Rose piano solo)
"November Rain"
(Bumblefoot guitar solo)
"Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan cover)
"Nightrain"

Encore:
"Madagascar"
"Paradise City"

SEE THE PHOTOS! >> http://www.spin.com/gallery/guns-n-roses-first-us-show-4-years#main

http://en.terra.com/music/pictures/guns_n_roses_live_axl_rose_rocks_his_gut_off/49581

Videos:

"Welcome To The Jungle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR_GrAW6Vgk

"Welcome To The Jungle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg48FN7Lpsg

"November Rain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOXjCL8WPs8

"Sweet Child O' Mine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENVEMEHiqs

Another short clip of "Welcome To The Jungle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RKQoGaRrow

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Estranged#9
Rocker

"maybe i'l get it right next time..?."

« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2010, 02:25:56 AM »

So in general is an Ozzy concert in the US more popular than GN'R? It's certainly not like that in the UK. GN'R are playing two huge festival sites (Reading & Leeds) and are still filling 3 of the main arena's later in the year.

Also I always hear people saying Rock is not popular in the US...But Avenged Sevenfold are number 1. Surely ACDC and Aerosmith must play big arenas? Why has the country turned it's back on Axl?

Not sure about concert popularity, as GN'R play next to none in the U.S.  But Ozzy himself has more marquee appeal these days for various reasons.  Aside from his wacky family show 'The Osbournes', he's a living legend who is largely credited for pioneering hard rock/metal with Black Sabbath.  But, the one thing that sets him apart from Axl/GN'R is Ozzy gets off his ass and promotes his work, whereas Axl, god love him, either has better things to do or always has legal issues or whatever.  He didn't lift one finger to promote Chinese Democracy which still baffles me to this day.  No matter what kind of management/record label/Best Buy/etc conflicts there were -- to let the most hyped, long-waited, and mythic rock album in the history of music drop and do next to nothing to promote it is just beyond me and always will be unless Axl explains it in detail someday.  People will always argue that Chinese Democracy "did well considering...[insert scapegoat]", but compared to long-awaited expectations - it flopped in the U.S.....HARD.  And again, people will argue that no matter how well it sold, the mainstream's long-term expectations were impossible to meet.  While that may be true in some cases, if the album had actually sold 1 million within a week or two (with fans buying the albums, not Best Buy), that would've made a stronger statement that GN'R were back and Axl's 14 years to make the album were justified.  This was not the case.

When Ozzy was about to release Scream he was all over the place.  Every time I skimmed through news I saw something about him popping up somewhere to promote the album.  Now, of course sales for Scream weren't that great but I believe that to be largely in part due to Zakk Wylde not manning the axe for the first time in over 20 years.  The album simply wasn't that great.

Chinese Democracy was fantastic.  But, the only real promotion it got was the controversy with Dr. Pepper and everyone who could get through to their website got a free can of soda.  If not for that, roughly no one in the U.S. outside the hardcore Gunners would've known the album was coming out.  The marketing campaign (or lack thereof) was all wrong.  They put out Chinese Democracy (the track) as the first single........flop.  A video for Better, the best mainstream track on the disc, was said to be coming within a week of the album's release..........still waiting (unless I've missed something).  And there was no sign of Axl anywhere on the face of the earth until the Billboard interview, weeks after the album's release.

Internationally, Chinese Democracy sold really well which might explain why GN'R only tour overseas.  The U.S. is full of happy fad-fan fake-jobs who only follow what's hot in the media and proceed to mindlessly lambaste and slam everything that isn't.  GN'R hasn't been HOT in the U.S. since the Illusion era.  After most fans' favorite lineup disbanded, Axl went into hiding, and unconfirmed rumors of a new album swirled for years and years only to have the U.S. mainstream balk at the 2002 incarnation of Guns with Axl not at his best and producing a failed tour -- the haters had the all the fuel they needed to label Axl as the hard rock anti-christ.  International fans are much more loyal and don't really care or get caught up in stupid media bashing.

I don't blame him for wanting to tour overseas.  Sucks for real fans like me who live in the states and would gladly slap down my hard-earned money for a couple concert tickets.  But, the cold reality is most people in this country are fad-driven and have no idea what they really like until they reach a certain age.  And unfortunately, when you're an old school band and are trying to fill an arena, you need more than the mainstream's mindless puppets.

very well put!!  thats a great post ! yes

here is a vid of YCBM from sturgis !  beer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEpHncePajw

Chicago11/18/02
N'ville10/22/06
Chicago11/27/06
Chicago11/15/11
Nashville12/4/11 CivilWar
Chicago2/19/12HOB
Vegas 11/23/12 izzy
Vegas 11/24/12 izzy
KC 6/2/13
Vegas 6/6/14
Vegas 6/7/14
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2010, 07:31:34 AM »

SPIN contributing photog Jordan Axtman was on the scene in Sturgis shooting live pics of all the bands performing at Rock N Rev.

SEE THE PHOTOS! >> http://www.spin.com/gallery/guns-n-roses-first-us-show-4-years#main

Hmm typical, have to get a dig in about the delayed start.  Shame they can't tell the difference between Ron and Richard.   Roll Eyes

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:05 AM »

Pics here too

http://www.mfnrocks.com/blog/guns-n-roses-rock-n-rev-sturgis-sd-exclusive-photos

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »

The guy on the left is Daniel E. Catullo I believe. He was the 30-cam director of the show. Hopefully it'll see the light of day!

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed those -- "This I Love" is  smoking Axl sounds great.  These are very good:

Nice photos. Cool

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2010, 01:23:34 PM »

GUNS N' ROSES At ROCK 'N REV FESTIVAL; Video Footage, Photos Available - Aug. 17, 2010

Fan-filmed video footage of GUNS N' ROSES' August 13, 2010 performance at the Rock 'N Rev Festival in Sturgis, South Dakota can be viewed below.

Check out photos of the concert:

* Spin
* Terra
* MFNRocks

GUNS N' ROSES' late start at the Rock 'N Rev Festival ? where the band came on at around 1:00 a.m., nearly two hours after previous act ALICE IN CHAINS ? was apparently due to a technical issue and not singer Axl Rose's well-known tendency to start shows hours behind schedule.

According to the Rapid City Journal, festival official Dan Catullo said that a switchover from festival sound equipment to GUNS' own gear took longer than anticipated and also caused complications with the festival's video crew, who were filming the event.

Catullo said that Rose, who is notorious for showing up late or not at all for concerts, was "the most insanely professional gentleman that I ever met. He came and did his job exactly as contracted."

The long delay led to a large portion of the crowd leaving before GUNS came on, while others hurled beer cans and other objects at the stage.

The Rock 'N Rev Festival, part of the 70th annual Sturgis Bike Rally, was the first U.S. concert appearance by GUNS N' ROSES in four years and only official U.S. show of 2010.

As previously reported, GUNS N' ROSES has not canceled any of its upcoming shows, including high-profile slots at England's Reading and Leeds festivals, despite what appeared to be a message on Twitter from Axl Rose suggesting that the band was pulling out of its previously announced gigs. According to NME.com, festival organizers received confirmation from the band's management that Rose's Twitter account had been hacked and that the message was a fake, with next week's shows set to go forward as planned.

Videos: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=144681

cineater
Legend

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »

Too say there were no bikers there is a joke. Are you really trying to say that? Whatever man. There were way more bikers there then locals and fans. What do you think a biker is anyway? Not every biker wears a vest showing there colors! {for you that don't know what colors are, their club name on back of their jackets} And yes a lot of people did leave but I am not so sure it was cause they didn't like the show. It was cause many of them were leaving at the crack of dawn that morning. When you travel with a group you do not want to get left behind. I think gnr would do good to come back to this next year just don't put GNR on the last night. Put them on the first night when they are ready to stay up all night. lol

No shit, I agree...the vast majority of people in Sturgis over the corse of the week were there with their bikes. Just because 99% of bikers are not in a club, doesn't mean they aren't bikers. I think people need to stop stereotyping a bit.....in fact, many places in Sturgis will refuse admission to anyone in colors...It made me laugh before the show when people would discuss what kinda setlest they would play since they were playing to "bikers".......so tell me, what is a biker anyways?Huh As far as I'm concerned a biker is someone tho loves to ride.....

Yeah I don't know what's up with this biker shit.  Most of those bikes are worth more than my car when it was new.  Let me tell you when we drove through town at 3 the place was dead and the garbage collector was out.  Hardly the image I think people think of when they think of a wild biker party  hihi

As far as security, I had my kid there and so did other people.  I didn't fear for her safety or mine.  Amy saw several undercover security in the crowd.  One checking out my kid that was about to have his own problem  hihi

Again, I had a great time.  Monkey Rock did a great job, not enough kudos for them.  I asked the kid about the band.  Everyone seems to be interested in the teen opinion.  She though Richard was hot!  Axl amazes her, you're watching him and the next thing you know you're asking where did he go and he's all the way over on the other side of the stage.  I tried to sing along with the guy and was out of breath on the second song.  Hope they do this again next year, I would love to be there longer.  And if anybody cares, my butt has almost recovered.  I think I need a sheep skin in the car  hihi

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2010, 06:33:41 PM »

YOur butt maybe be almost recovered but my voice isn't. lol I was worse today then before. Gotta love screaming and singing along with Axl!!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »

Sure you didn't suck in some of that confetti?  hihi That is just the coolest thing to see a cloud of confetti coming down on you and then to be showered in it.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »

kohd sturgis- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYKiI2MDDY8
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: