Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 02:17:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227860 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Zakk Wylde: If GN'R came out today with WTTJ...
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zakk Wylde: If GN'R came out today with WTTJ...  (Read 7852 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire (2008): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0HhrwIwp0

Queens of the Stone Age (2013): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetvK6ldl2s

May not be as memorable because those were not a huge mainstream hit? I dunno, but I think there's still some good stuff out there, we just dont hear it on the radio anymore.

PolarBearWitchHead
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »

IMO, today is the best era to be an artist.  Think of all the music that nobody ever heard because it didn't fit into the category a record company wanted.  Think of all the great music that never got recorded simply because you couldn't afford studio time.  Now, all you need is a $200 laptop and an internet connection and everyone can hear you. 
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 05:06:19 PM »

IMO, today is the best era to be an artist.  Think of all the music that nobody ever heard because it didn't fit into the category a record company wanted.  Think of all the great music that never got recorded simply because you couldn't afford studio time.  Now, all you need is a $200 laptop and an internet connection and everyone can hear you. 

It is a great time to express yourself for sure.  Artists who never would have gained an audience can now use the internet to their advantage and get themselves out there.

The negative side of this?  We have an abundance of  really bad music because there are no more filters and people with limited and in some cases zero talent could just put out anything they want.  Also, the more  music these types of people put out the more it saturates social media and the internet in general making it harder to notice the ones who are actually talented.

I disagree with Zakk Wylde, GNR and Nirvana would not have the same impact if they came out today.  Neither would The Beatles or The Rolling Stones for that matter.  Yes he is correct, they are undeniably good, but the chances of them being noticed for more than 2 seconds today are slim.    There is so much sensory overload with social media, people move very quickly from one thing to the next.  The shelf life for really creative art today is very short, people are always on to the next thing.  This is true across all entertainment mediums.  GNR would definitely have success, but biggest band in the world success?  I doubt it.  It has nothing to do with their ability, but the average fans attention spans.

Do you know why The Beatles and Stones made such an impact?  It is because options were very limited and they were the ones who were forced on the general public.  They are both great of course, but they never would have become iconic household names in the year 2016.

There will never be another biggest rock n roll band in the world, because the current system makes it impossible for there to be one band that mass amounts of people are focused on.  Every so often you'll get an Adele, but that is because her audience skews older and they still happen to buy music.

Guns N Roses and Metallica are my two favorite bands.  How did I get discover them?  MTV told me that I liked Guns N Roses and Metallica in the Summer of 1992 when they put them on TV every second of the day.  The reason I am still a fan is because they are undeniably good.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:18:36 PM by Bodhi » Logged
PolarBearWitchHead
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 10:22:57 AM »

Yeah, there are a lot of music sites that curate content.  So instead of MTV curating it for you, let them sort it for you.  Problem solved
fozzie10
Headliner

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »

Much different for rock bands though, I think.

The days of being signed out of the clubs and given a 3-4 album deal to prove your worth...is that happening?

I think in certain cases it still happens but not often,can you imgne WTTJ coming along now?wow itd be over produced to withn an inch of its life no doubt with a Justin Bieber cover along quick smart,to get down wid da kidz so to speak.

No its a classic becuae it came out at the right time and i cant really see anything like it happening again any time soon
Annie
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »

I don't know.  With the right exposure GNR could have another mega hit.  LET IT Go from the movie FROZeN became a worldwide sensation. I was really happy that The Idina Menzel version got the recognition and not the Demi Lovato version 😎 when GNR releases a new song they just need to put it in a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:56:59 PM by Little EMO Annie » Logged
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 12:33:35 PM »

I disagree with Zakk Wylde, GNR and Nirvana would not have the same impact if they came out today.  Neither would The Beatles or The Rolling Stones for that matter.  Yes he is correct, they are undeniably good, but the chances of them being noticed for more than 2 seconds today are slim.    There is so much sensory overload with social media, people move very quickly from one thing to the next.  The shelf life for really creative art today is very short, people are always on to the next thing.  This is true across all entertainment mediums.  GNR would definitely have success, but biggest band in the world success?  I doubt it.  It has nothing to do with their ability, but the average fans attention spans.

Do you know why The Beatles and Stones made such an impact?  It is because options were very limited and they were the ones who were forced on the general public.  They are both great of course, but they never would have become iconic household names in the year 2016.

Sorry, but there's absolutely no way a band that could write as many good songs as The Beatles would not get noticed today. We haven't seen talent on that level for a very long time.
fozzie10
Headliner

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »

Sorry, but there's absolutely no way a band that could write as many good songs as The Beatles would not get noticed today. We haven't seen talent on that level for a very long time.

And frankly i doubt we ever will,the Beatles where a real one off
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: