Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:08:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227843 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 138077 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #260 on: June 03, 2014, 01:31:12 AM »

I have a different opinion on the matter, not surprisingly. 

Understood faldor, and no - not surprising. Smiley

The Red Sox colored glasses were expected. Wink

But outside looking in, Price flat out KO'd Ortiz in the court of public opinion - kept cool and didn't admit to a thing the night of and not responding to Ortiz's post game interview until the next day.

It's fun either way, baseball theatre at it's finest.

As unwarranted as it was, I flat out loved the Sox getting bent when the Rays stole 3rd last week and Gomes going all Gomes and equally enjoyed Joe Madden's citing Ellsbury doing the same up 6 last year in the playoffs.

Fun stuff all around. yes
Well, I think a lot of how the teams and players reacted related to how they were playing at the time. For instance, I think the Sox overreacted a bit in Tampa over Escobar stealing 3rd up 5 in the 8th. They were in the midst of a 10 game losing streak and it all came to a head with that one play. Then the Sox start winning and the Rays start losing, the shoe is on the other foot. So Price plunks Ortiz to make a statement. I'm with George, a better statement would be to get him out. Ortiz got the last laugh by knocking in the game tying run off Price later in the game.

Listen, Ortiz is a drama queen. No doubt about it. But I don't respect Price for what he did or said. I would've respected him more if he dropped the subject or refused to comment. I don't really see why his comments are more in the right. Because he waited till the next day? At least Ortiz spoke in the heat of the moment, from the heart. No need to sleep on it and formulate a stance that contradicted what you originally said.

As for Mulder siding with Price. Did you actually think he, or any pitcher would side with the hitter? No big surprise there. I bet Manny Ramirez sides with Ortiz.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #261 on: June 03, 2014, 10:16:58 AM »

George, you must've hated the Cards/Mets rivalry in the 80's. 

Ooh, that one hurt my feelings, Falc.  What can i say, I'm getting old and crabby way too soon.

I have never seen teams despise one another (it made Yanks/Red Sox and Giants/Dodgers look like family reunions) more than those two. 

Intentional HBP's, late slides, gamesmanship and benches clearing shenanigans, my absolute favorite rivalry to this day.

I loved it.  All of it.  I hate that stuff now (most, not all of it), but as a kid, I was completely swept up in it, even though it was more the Mets that carried the asshole torch of that rivalry.  Looking back, most of the core St. Louis guys, like Ozzie, John Tudor, Pendleton, McGhee, were consummate professionals who I think would have agreed with me now about Price.  Also, I have little doubt that the Mets would have been far more dominant in that era if they weren't so caught up in playing the role of the professional wrestling heels. 

You're right though, it does add a fun drama element to it all.  Again, I'm getting old and becoming a lot more involved in youth sports, so I hate to see professional athletes not being proper role models on the field.  I completely agree that the "role model" obligations end once you step off the field, but between the lines, play the right way. 

End rant!!  peace
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #262 on: June 03, 2014, 04:01:47 PM »

Well, I think a lot of how the teams and players reacted related to how they were playing at the time.

No question about that faldor, right on the money.

Listen, Ortiz is a drama queen. No doubt about it. But I don't respect Price for what he did or said. I would've respected him more if he dropped the subject or refused to comment. I don't really see why his comments are more in the right. Because he waited till the next day? At least Ortiz spoke in the heat of the moment, from the heart. No need to sleep on it and formulate a stance that contradicted what you originally said.

Price didn't say a negative word post game, toed the line and played it cool.  His response came the next day when informed of Ortiz's "this is war', "the gloves are off", "little girl, "little bitch" tantrum so I don't see where there was any contradiction - just response.  So yes, I think timing plays a huge part in perception.

Keep in mind I have no idea on what went down last year, I was knee deep in Cardinal playoff drama so forgive me if I'm not familiar with all the background. Wink

As for Mulder siding with Price. Did you actually think he, or any pitcher would side with the hitter? No big surprise there. I bet Manny Ramirez sides with Ortiz.

You're probably correct on that although I suspect there are a lot of non pitchers who enjoyed seeing Ortiz get drilled as well, the "drama queen" act has worn thin on a lot of fronts in general.

Just my opinion from outside the bubble.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:03:31 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2014, 01:26:51 AM »

Well I do agree that Price handled himself well with his post game comments. The pitcher is always supposed to say "it slipped" or it was "unintentional". Which he did initially. Then he changed his tune the next day when he fully digested The comments by Ortiz. He admitted to hitting him on purpose and explained why he did so. I think he would've been better served saying nothing. Responding is just fanning the flames even more. And even after his admission he still doesn't face any disciplinary action. Ortiz, as you could imagine, was not pleased and had some more colorful suggestions for Price. And NOW, Price is choosing not to respond. Should be interesting when they hook up again in July.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »

Meanwhile on the field, the Red Sox OF is the worst in the majors offensively and the worst in team history for the last 60 years. It's hard to win games with such little production. And it's not an easy fix either. Might have to deal some of their pitching prospects for a proven OF. Bradley is great defensively but he's overmatched at the plate at this level. Sizemore doesn't look like he's going to become the player he once was. Gomes is a platoon player. Nava has gone from a .300 hitter to a .100 hitter. Not good.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonred-sox&id=37549&city=boston&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FLrNc0frIm4%22%7D

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #265 on: June 04, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

Meanwhile on the field, the Red Sox OF is the worst in the majors offensively and the worst in team history for the last 60 years. It's hard to win games with such little production. And it's not an easy fix either. Might have to deal some of their pitching prospects for a proven OF. Bradley is great defensively but he's overmatched at the plate at this level. Sizemore doesn't look like he's going to become the player he once was. Gomes is a platoon player. Nava has gone from a .300 hitter to a .100 hitter. Not good.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonred-sox&id=37549&city=boston&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FLrNc0frIm4%22%7D

I feel your pain man, the Cards are in an offensive funk as well.

Coupled with their current run of novelty games in AL parks for the next week I'm in absolute baseball hell. Angry
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:47:37 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »

Fuck.

Don Zimmer has passed at 83.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2014, 04:21:55 AM »

Fuck.

Don Zimmer has passed at 83.

Yep, we lost one of the great ones. RIP Don Sad
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #268 on: June 16, 2014, 11:22:32 AM »

Well, another great one has passed.

Tony Gwynn, what a class act.

This fucking sucks.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #269 on: June 16, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »

Well, another great one has passed.

Tony Gwynn, what a class act.

This fucking sucks.

That does really suck.  Forget baseball, there are so few guys in ANY sport who were so dominant yet so admired and respected by their peers, media and fans alike, not just as a player, but as a human being.  He was one of those guys.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #270 on: June 16, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »

Tony Gwynn and Ted Williams talk hitting, a must listen.

http://deadspin.com/listen-to-tony-gwynn-and-ted-williams-talk-hitting-1591439886/all?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #271 on: June 16, 2014, 07:01:57 PM »

Very sad, RIP Tony Gwynn  Sad
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #272 on: June 17, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »

Keith Olbermann's tribute to Tony Gwynn last night was, in a word - perfect.

Watch here:

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-tearfully-remembers-tony-gwynn-1591925235

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #273 on: June 17, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »

Watch here:

That was great, thanks for sharing.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #274 on: June 17, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »

I didn't realize Tony was so sick, or maybe I forgot. Was shocked yesterday when I heard the news.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #275 on: June 17, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »

I didn't realize Tony was so sick, or maybe I forgot. Was shocked yesterday when I heard the news.

Yeah i believe it was mouth or throat cancer? I can't remember for sure.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #276 on: June 17, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »

Watch here:

Thanks! I had my DVR set to record Olbermann but it got delayed because of the CWS and i missed it. That was great, i love Keith! If anyone can watch that and not tear up they really suck imo.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:38:16 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #277 on: June 17, 2014, 10:56:58 PM »

So after tonight Tanaka is 11-1 1.99 ERA and 103 strikeouts. It's time to start talking about him starting the All-Star game. There's no way he isn't the favorite at this point. He has been nothing short of spectacular. Another month or so and we can start talking about him being Cy Young favorite and ROY favorite.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #278 on: July 10, 2014, 09:31:01 PM »

Well fuck...

Yadi out 8-12 weeks with torn ligament in his right thumb.

Pilf and Tim can't be doing well with the Tanaka news tonight so I'll cordially invite you 2 to my pity party.

Bring some booze to said party fellas, we're gonna need it.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #279 on: July 12, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »

Well fuck...

Yadi out 8-12 weeks with torn ligament in his right thumb.

Pilf and Tim can't be doing well with the Tanaka news tonight so I'll cordially invite you 2 to my pity party.

Bring some booze to said party fellas, we're gonna need it.
to
Yeah the news isn't good but its not terrible. There's hope he can rehab since its a very small tear. Dr Andrews was one of the doctors that examined him and even he said no to surgery now and he's the expert. So that gives me hope he can rehab it and continue to pitch. I know there have been some pitchers who have been able to rehab a small tear. So we'll see, even if he does end up needing surgery the bright side is he's only 25. He can still have a long successful career after.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:40:58 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: