Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 03:39:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread  (Read 188447 times)
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #1100 on: February 04, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »

I just finally got around to reading an autobiograpy by some guy I'm sure no one on this board has ever heard of: Slash.  Wink  I really enjoyed hearing about his childhood and teenage years. I wish I had been smoking pot and having sex as early as 13!!! The stuff about Axl and GnR only succeeded in making me either angry or depressed. However, speedballing sounds like a hell of a lot of fun! LOL.

Also read Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill, Stephen King's son. Interesting premise, and the book was entertaining and fast-paced, but it lacked the great character-development that makes King's novels so memorable. It was one of those books that I think would make a better movie.

I'm reading heart shaped box right now. So far I like it.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #1101 on: February 07, 2010, 03:08:34 PM »

I'm about halfway thru "Under The Dome". I only ever read one Stephen King book before. This one is over 1100 pages long, but i just want to keep going and see what happens next. Interesting concept and i feel by now (600 pages in) that i really know the characters. Not sure how it's gonna turn out, but i'm sure the next 500 pages have plenty of strange shit waiting for me.

I just bought 'Under the Dome.'  I'm still reading my way through 'The Stand' and I think I'm about 800 pages through it. I tend to read a few books at a time and just finished 'Carrie' and 'Salem's Lot'. I also finished the first Dark Tower book a couple of weeks ago... which was AMAZING. The Borders near me is going out of business (maybe they all are?) and everything is 20%-50% off. I've bought a lot of books in the last couple weeks. Let us know how 'Under the Dome' was whenever you finish it.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #1102 on: February 07, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »

I'm reading Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose.. great piece of history, I like his style. Band Of Brothers is a great choice too.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #1103 on: February 17, 2010, 07:24:25 PM »

Dexter by Design--It was alright. A little disturbing though, when he was 'grooming' his step-son for his lifestyle.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #1104 on: March 25, 2010, 12:25:09 AM »

Since this is the book' (thread), I wanted to let all the literature fiction reader know that  I just released a literature fiction book on Amazon and barnes and noble.
The name of the book is "The Last Poem of Schetzzer"

Here is the description from Amazon
Product Description

The agony of tragedy, the truth of love, the sincerity of beauty, questions without answers, and prophetic poetries are all common elements in The Last Poem of Schetzzer. Schetzzer is an average but complicated man who writes poetry that reveals a defeated attitude, preventing him from living a strong, confident life. His poems involve a kind of prophecy and a higher power that exists inside him that he doesn't realize until later in his journey.

He travels far to find the key to how he should live his life to the fullest. It is during his travels that he meets a man who strangely reminds him of himself. This mysterious man teaches him the strength of will and the healing powers, using animal behaviors as examples. He shows Schetzzer the aspects of how to survive and makes him realize that a simple thought can become a belief and that a written word can determine his reality. It also forces him to begin to really live his life to the fullest instead of just watching it pass him by. The last poem represents a spiritual search, an end to an outdated world that had been trapped inside of him.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Poem-Schetzzer-Experience-Change/dp/144019565X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

If the world would end today... Wink
Lady Ashba
Rocker

Nice boys... & girls!

« Reply #1105 on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »

Sounds like powerful stuff! Congrats on your release  ok
Lady Ashba
Rocker

Nice boys... & girls!

« Reply #1106 on: March 26, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »

Btw, this is extremely embarrassing but I do have a lot of free time right now and I just finished reading the whole Harry Potter collection  Tongue
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #1107 on: March 27, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »

Btw, this is extremely embarrassing but I do have a lot of free time right now and I just finished reading the whole Harry Potter collection  Tongue
Don't be embarassed, read what you like, you must have enjoyed it ok.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Lady Ashba
Rocker

Nice boys... & girls!

« Reply #1108 on: March 27, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »

I surely did, thanks Cool Right now I'm reading Twilight. Have to admit is better than I thought Roll Eyes
svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #1109 on: March 28, 2010, 07:25:54 AM »

I think I''m going to watch twilight soon, just to what that hype's all about..
I'm not reading the book, I'm not that patient (I like books though - I'm just not that much into the vampire stuff lol)

Lady Ashba
Rocker

Nice boys... & girls!

« Reply #1110 on: March 28, 2010, 05:00:24 PM »

I think I''m going to watch twilight soon, just to what that hype's all about..
I'm not reading the book, I'm not that patient (I like books though - I'm just not that much into the vampire stuff lol)

I just finished the book and also watched the movie... They are not bad, I've seen/read worse things. I get what you mean, but for me when there's a movie based on a book I prefer to do both things so I can compare and make my own conclusions. Otherwise you might miss the little details. Wink
svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #1111 on: April 08, 2010, 04:23:11 PM »

I know what you mean, but like I said I don't think I'm going to like twilight so it's a bit too much of a read just to compare. Wink
But I did with perfume, both Dan Brown's and probably some others too Smiley

I still want to see 'in the name of the rose' (by Umberto Eco). The book was great, curious about the movie Smiley

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #1112 on: April 08, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »

Since this is the book' (thread), I wanted to let all the literature fiction reader know that  I just released a literature fiction book on Amazon and barnes and noble.
The name of the book is "The Last Poem of Schetzzer"

Here is the description from Amazon
Product Description

The agony of tragedy, the truth of love, the sincerity of beauty, questions without answers, and prophetic poetries are all common elements in The Last Poem of Schetzzer. Schetzzer is an average but complicated man who writes poetry that reveals a defeated attitude, preventing him from living a strong, confident life. His poems involve a kind of prophecy and a higher power that exists inside him that he doesn't realize until later in his journey.

He travels far to find the key to how he should live his life to the fullest. It is during his travels that he meets a man who strangely reminds him of himself. This mysterious man teaches him the strength of will and the healing powers, using animal behaviors as examples. He shows Schetzzer the aspects of how to survive and makes him realize that a simple thought can become a belief and that a written word can determine his reality. It also forces him to begin to really live his life to the fullest instead of just watching it pass him by. The last poem represents a spiritual search, an end to an outdated world that had been trapped inside of him.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Poem-Schetzzer-Experience-Change/dp/144019565X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Congratulations. It sounds motivational.

That's impressive. I've seen most of the movies. The books on the other hand, I get exhausted just looking at them.

Currently reading Anton Chekhov's short stories. Just finished The Man in a Case and The Lady with the Dog.  Good stuff.

Lady Ashba
Rocker

Nice boys... & girls!

« Reply #1113 on: April 09, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »

The Harry Potter books... well... you can get bored after a while cos they are meant for kids after all.

Right now I'm about to start with New Moon (let's see how the story continues), and I got this other one called The Deceiver, by Frederick Forsyth.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #1114 on: April 12, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »

The Harry Potter books... well... you can get bored after a while cos they are meant for kids after all.

Right now I'm about to start with New Moon (let's see how the story continues), and I got this other one called The Deceiver, by Frederick Forsyth.
You went from kids to teen, awesome.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Lady Ashba
Rocker

Nice boys... & girls!

« Reply #1115 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »

Hahaha what do you know, I'm growing up! Grin
Katie.B
Opening Act

« Reply #1116 on: April 13, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »

Firstly, I feel that Twilight novels are the biggest pile of shit I have ever come across, they are also badly written. However, I have not read all of them which I am ashamed of because in order to criticise them more accurately and further explain why they are a bag of shit I should have done Wink
Harry Potter - You've gotta love it. I also feel it's a part of my childhood, so have a little soft spot for the books.
I am a total geek when it comes to literature, The Catcher in the Rye is my all time favourite book,
and I just finished reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (for the first time!) and bawled my eyes out at the end of it, which I rarely do.

You begin to realise very quickly that the world is infact, full of sods - Sean Connery
Lady Ashba
Rocker

Nice boys... & girls!

« Reply #1117 on: April 13, 2010, 03:01:54 PM »

Certainly Stephenie Meyer is no Shakespeare... They are just books for entertaining, not one of them will become classics of literature! I say take them for what they are...  Smiley
Annie
« Reply #1118 on: April 13, 2010, 03:40:34 PM »

When I read the TWILIGHT books they almost put me under some sort of spell. It was alot of fun. I'm trying to read the latest 2 Vampire diaries books by Liz Smith, but they are a little harder to get into. I love the Vampire Diaries show. I did read the latest Jackie Collins novel, POOR LITTLE BITCH GIRL. I love Jackie Collins novels, they are no literary masterpieces, but the woman has story talent. My fav book from TWILIGHT was MIDNIGHT SUN, I really wish Stephenie would publish it.
I just entered an essay contest to be on the OPRAH Winfrey show to talk about TWILIGHT and how it impacted my life.It would be cool to win. We'll see. If I do get to go on the show, I will have no problem telling the world how much I love THIS I LOVE, even thought TWILIGHT and GNR are 2 completely separate universes  hihi  In my essay, I did discuss how that FOR ME, TIL captured the essence of Edward's love for Bella.

I never liked Harry Potter. I fell asleep in all of the movies, even on Omnimax. I did really like the Harry Potter exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry last year. It took all of my self control to not touch Robert Pattinson's Cedric Diggory
costume. hihi

Has anybody here read the books that the TRU-Blood series was based on?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:53:22 PM by Little EMO Annie » Logged
Katie.B
Opening Act

« Reply #1119 on: April 14, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »

Certainly Stephenie Meyer is no Shakespeare... They are just books for entertaining, not one of them will become classics of literature! I say take them for what they are...  Smiley

Reminds me, I hate Shakespeare as well Wink

You begin to realise very quickly that the world is infact, full of sods - Sean Connery
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: