Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:50:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Factors that have restored Axl's Confidence and vintage Singing
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Factors that have restored Axl's Confidence and vintage Singing  (Read 9103 times)
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« on: April 11, 2016, 09:32:29 PM »

It is now very clear that Axl has his mojo and swagger back. Even though he was chair ridden, he was exuding energy, eagerness, confidence, rhythm, and groove. It was like he was a wild beast being chained down-- if the leash would have snapped, all hell would have broke loose. In his last two shows Axl appeared younger, happier, and more confident. He seems ready to take on the world again and to fully embrace the classic and traditional GNR sound and image.
Below are the six reasons why I think Axl Rose has his mojo back, has returned to his classic sound and image, and is more confident being Axl.

1. The dismantling of competing sub-cultures and sub-genres in rock music. For example, mainstream rock radio now plays all rock together and no longer compartmentalizes rock music. They play everything from Zeppelin and Sabbath, Foreigner and Journey, to Green Day and Nine Inch Nails. There is no longer the "alternative" vs. "mainstream rock" or "indie" vs "corporate rock" battle going on like in the early and mid nineties, e.g. the war between underground/alternative Nirvana vs. corporate, mainstream Guns N Roses. In the past Axl had to work hard to prove that he was a raw, underground act-- a "glorified garage band," so to speak, as Slash once said. This is evident in his famous rant about GNR and Metallica being "alternative" bands because radio wouldn't play them originally. It really bothered him watching the underground rock music emerge to supplant mainstream rock. Axl knew in his heart that GNR were really part of the revolution, but could be mistaken as a hair band and be buried alive by the grunge revolution. In addition, he did a lot of show his love for alt rock and was cognizant enough back then to try and "separate himself and GNR from 80s hair bands." As a result, the 90s was Axl's experiment with sub-genres (nu mental, prog rock, rap rock, industrial, grunge, trip hop, etc.) because he felt pressured to remain "relevant" with music. As he saw blues-based rock losing its "cool" factor with youth, he was trying too hard to remain on the "cutting edge" of rock music; hence, the pressure to over produce Chinese Democracy. BUT, the walls have been torn down. There are no longer separate rock stations (postmodern, alternative, punk, etc. VS. mainstream rock). This egalitarian view of rock can be seen in the great success of retro acts like AC/DC and Iron Maiden. Axl SEEMS very relieved by this fact and the "pressure is off" him to be cutting edge. He can just make his kind of music. Good rock doesn't need labels and or categories! I think Axl senses the leveling of the playing field. In the mid-nineties, Axl felt pressure to make his grand comeback/return as an "up to date act." Any remnant of the 1980s glam metal would have been a career killer and made Axl appear dated, cheesy, and out of touch with youth and real rock. In the 90s, anything remotely connected to the 80s was ALL HAIRSPRAY METAL and the antithesis of cool. Today this no longer applies. In fact, the entire 80s rock thing had a strong retro resurgence in the past decade. He has absolutely no fear of being himself and projecting his classic and vintage vocal sound and image, e.g. aviators, bandannas, cowboy hats, leather jackets, etc.

2. Age, he has become a living legend, and he is embracing his rugged age instead of fearing it-- He has realized there is no reason to be "trendy" or resort to Hollywood style botox, etc. He is the rock veteran and mentor who is admired and idolized by younger acts for who he is-- this wasn't so much the case in the late 90s and first couple of tours, e.g. 2002 and 2006. There was always a subtle sense of insecurity and trepidation in his "dancing," "singing" and in the way he "felt" the music and expressed himself in his famous stage moves. Society sees him as a living rock legend, so he has embraced the role. His dancing is much more loose, relaxed, natural, and groovier. Now we only need that pending biopic movie to mythologize and memorialize the Gnr legacy!!!!

3. reuniting with Duff and Slash-- seems to have given him a "shot in the arm" and "wind in his sails"-- he is holding nothing back now-- he is unleashing years or trepidation and tacit singing. He can unload his raw, natural sound because he has his Appetite line up to back him up.

4. The poll that came out last year ranking him the "greatest singer" of all time (within pop music) due to his amazing five octave range-- although flattered he responded humbly, but nonetheless, this had to be a big ego booster and confidence builder

5. The recent poll in LA Weekly ranking him the 3rd best singer of all time

6. Axl received the Revolver Golden Gods award in 2014-- this cemented his image as a true legend and icon of rock. He now had the respect of the establishment and younger acts.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:58:59 PM by SkeletorSerpent » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »

He's only human.  So he has to be enjoying this unbridled adulation.

Like it or not, he is seen as "doing the right thing" with this tour.  That's the perception that's out there.  And since many people who think that also thought he'd never relent on this, EVER...they appreciate it.

But on a more basic level, he is giving many people the chance to see, as they define it, the real deal Guns N' Roses they have only ever seen on YouTube.  Or if they were lucky to see it live, it was many moons ago.  And never thought to return.

The vide is just really good right now.  If I take you guys out of the mix, I hardly ever talk about Guns N' Roses during my days and nights.  All changed the past 5 months.

I think he's riding that wave.  How happy does he look up there the past 3 shows?  This is basically his redemption campaign.  He's seen as an elder statesmen of sorts.  And "Axl the asshole" morphs into "Axl the one of a kind".  Perception changes.  Everyone is digging him again.

How could he not feed off of that?  You are better at your job when you love what you do.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »

D-GenerationX,
Thanks for the insightful comments. Over the years I've always appreciated your thoughtful comments and observations.
You made some great points!
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:30:45 AM »

Can't disagree more...Axl always had high intensity during his career...Evem though Bu,bl effort and company are gone I refuse to diminish the high quality of performance those "eras" of GNR provided...As far as drifting away from "blues based" rock music, Axl stated early on how it would have npveen too easy to record AFD 2 and due to integrity he wanted to drift creatively I.e like Queen for the follow up...
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »

I refuse to say his confidence is 100% back until he brings back the bike shorts.  rofl

In all seriousness, I think his swagger is back because he's reunited with his lifelong friends brothers. Through all the decades of posturing, bitterness, and trash talk I believe deep down inside these guys wanted to be a team again. Now that they are it's like a weight off all of their shoulders. It will be even better if Izzy and Steven can take part.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:07:58 PM by EvilSmurf » Logged
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:45:22 PM »

Good point EvilSmurf!
My original post didn't say that Axl wasn't talented or singing "great" a lot of the time. I also didn't say that the other line-ups lacked talent, quality, or chemistry. I think Axl poured his heart into the other line-ups. But, as Waylon sings, he was "looking for a feeling" that he lost when he lost his "brothers," and he wasn't able to find it. It is like drug addiction, he get a huge high and then you come crashing down. You spend all your time and money "seeking" that high again. Yet, you won't find it.
Al worked his ass off this last decade and a half. For the most part, he sounded great and CD is the most underrated album of the last thirty years. In fact, since the reunion I actually think critics and fans will be kinder to the album and start to give it a second chance and be much kinder to its brilliance!

BUT . . . in the final analysis, the other line-ups couldn't fully capture the vintage GNR magic.

He has his wicked, raspy demonic, bluesy, gravelly, scratchy growl BACK! His high notes are strong and raspy, instead of sounding like Elmo high on Helium.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »

Can't disagree more...Axl always had high intensity during his career...Evem though Bu,bl effort and company are gone I refuse to diminish the high quality of performance those "eras" of GNR provided...As far as drifting away from "blues based" rock music, Axl stated early on how it would have npveen too easy to record AFD 2 and due to integrity he wanted to drift creatively I.e like Queen for the follow up...

THIS!

At no time in the history of GNR has Axl ever given a performance that gave any indication of lost confidence or loss of 'vintage singing'.

Pick any show in the 2014 Vegas residency as proof positive that Axl was, as he is now, at the top of his game!!!

In London in 2006, he literally collapsed off staged during a show he was performing while ill because he was all about giving his everything to every performance.

Slash's return has made some of you delusional.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:30:04 PM »

THIS!

At no time in the history of GNR has Axl ever given a performance that gave any indication of lost confidence or loss of 'vintage singing'.

Pick any show in the 2014 Vegas residency as proof positive that Axl was, as he is now, at the top of his game!!!

In London in 2006, he literally collapsed off staged during a show he was performing while ill because he was all about giving his everything to every performance.

Slash's return has made some of you delusional.

I was gonna say I've seen very few clips from the last 14 years where I could point to Axl really being off and the Vegas DVD was pretty phenomenal.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:03:40 PM »

Quote of the day:  Merry someone that looks at you the way Axl looks at Slash.  hihi

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:06:31 PM by Bazfreak » Logged

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 10:06:17 PM »

Not only did Axl look at Ashba exactly the same way, he used to wear Ashba swag clothes, too!!!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 11:46:08 PM »

Not only did Axl look at Ashba exactly the same way, he used to wear Ashba swag clothes, too!!!

Haha! I think some of these people are high on Slash Fumes  hihi

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 01:27:37 AM »

Based on the increase of traffic on this site, the intense press coverage, and recent selling out of stadiums, it appears that quite a few people are high on Slash Fumes.  rofl
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 01:32:59 AM »

Based on the increase of traffic on this site, the intense press coverage, and recent selling out of stadiums, it appears that quite a few people are high on Slash Fumes.  rofl

The Vegas shows were great, just joking with Gypsy  peace

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 06:18:44 AM »

Everytime they go on tour there are threads about how awesome his voice sounds.
He sounds great now, he usually does
I think it has more to do with not running around and being throned

I agree he HAS to hear Slash playing his style and get sentimental and proud that they've put the crap behind them because Slash is the f*cking man
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 07:28:38 AM »

I agree he HAS to hear Slash playing his style and get sentimental and proud that they've put the crap behind them because Slash is the f*cking man
And don't you think the same can be said about Slash hearing Axl's singing and Axl's style and just the fact alone that IT'S AXL!!! ?

It's human nature that there be some sense of warm n' fuzzy for BOTH men.

Doesn't mean, as the the thread subject line suggests that Axl had ever at any time over his years of performing without Slash lost confidence or his vintage singing style.

Nostalgia.... Ain't Life Grand.  Wink

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:02:55 AM by GypsySoul » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 09:22:01 AM »

He sounds great now, he usually does
I think it has more to do with not running around and being throned
In Troubadour he wasnt running around, but not sitting either and sounded great. Smiley

Annie
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 09:41:17 AM »

All I have to say is that these 2 Las Vegas show were EPIC! Right up there with David Bowie's masterpiece and parting gift the musical LAZARUS!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »

Not lately.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Annie
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »

Not lately.
Why do you have to be so negative? Axl always sounds great but these last 2 shows were mind blowing!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »

Why do you have to be so negative? Axl always sounds great but these last 2 shows were mind blowing!

Are you huffing paint?

I have comments all over these threads about how he's sounded good.  How he crushed 'Coma' both nights.  How he even did a good YCBM, which has been a trouble spot.

Get some facts and get back to me, sweetheart.  But not until then.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: