Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:25:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  15th anniversary of Use Your Illusions
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 15th anniversary of Use Your Illusions  (Read 6475 times)
GNVR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 08:27:50 AM »

Two other common complaints about the albums is the endless amount of filler and that they should have been combined together.

I agree with that.? Use Your Illusion should have been one album.? I know people won't agree with that but that's my opinion.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 08:41:34 AM »

Two other common complaints about the albums is the endless amount of filler and that they should have been combined together.

I agree with that.  Use Your Illusion should have been one album.  I know people won't agree with that but that's my opinion.

A friend of mine have this debate CONSTANTLY. I ofcourse, think that they are just fine. The only songs I personally could do without are My World & Shotgun Blues. Everything else is essential for me.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2006, 09:08:26 AM »

I agree with that.? Use Your Illusion should have been one album.? I know people won't agree with that but that's my opinion.

The great mass of songs and their diversity across the two albums is what makes the albums so great, I wouldn't take off any songs to make one album.

Listening to each album is like a journey, and I don't see why anyone, especially GN'R fans, would want to "condense" the albums down to just one.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »

I agree with that.  Use Your Illusion should have been one album.  I know people won't agree with that but that's my opinion.

The great mass of songs and their diversity across the two albums is what makes the albums so great, I wouldn't take off any songs to make one album.

Listening to each album is like a journey, and I don't see why anyone, especially GN'R fans, would want to "condense" the albums down to just one.

I agree with this as well. I think it's good to stretch out and really explore, evolve and expand. I used to get into arguments with people about "The Wall" as well. They'd say "Oh, it's just really too long and drawn out" whereas if I had my way the album would've been a three record set like Waters intended!

Also I think alot of people forget that the Illusions were as long as they were to keep the peace in the band and keep Guns N' Roses together.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2006, 05:14:13 PM »

I agree with this as well. I think it's good to stretch out and really explore, evolve and expand. I used to get into arguments with people about "The Wall" as well. They'd say "Oh, it's just really too long and drawn out" whereas if I had my way the album would've been a three record set like Waters intended!

Also I think alot of people forget that the Illusions were as long as they were to keep the peace in the band and keep Guns N' Roses together.

Some good points there.

The fact is if you don't like some songs, you can just skip them when you listen to the record. With CD's and computers it easy to program a playlist. Alternatively you could copy a new CD without the songs you don't like. I'd rather have more songs to choose from then a shorter album just for the sake of having a shorter album. If you look at the "if UYI was one CD" thread you'll see people have vastly different opinions on what the song selection should be.

Also, a problem is for some reason people have always concentrated on the weak points of UYI; My World, Shotgun Blues, Get in The Ring, two versions of Don't Cry, etc. But a great album should always be judged by its best songs. And the best songs on UYI are amazing.

Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2006, 07:36:25 PM »

That's very true.  Though, the weak ponts are pretty low it'd be like judging the White Album on Honey Pie, Martha My Dear and Rocky Racoon and ignoring all the classics.

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
Bono
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2006, 08:13:20 PM »

1992 Rolling Stone album guide

Use Your Illusion I- 4 stars (of 5)
Use Your Illusion II-4.5 stars (of 5)

2004 Rolling Stone album guide

Use Your Illusion I- 5 stars (of 5)
Use Your Illusion II- 4 stars (of 5)

At least they came to their senses and realiesed years down the road that UYI I is the better of the two ok neither is as good as AFD though and I disagree with the original post that claims these albums have more classics than AFD. AFD in itself is classic and songs like Rocket Queen, Nightrain, Brownstone and My Michelle are considered classics by even non Gn'R fans.  I also disagree with You Ain't the First being regarded as one of the weaker tracks on UYI I.  Anyways I love UYI I and I think UYI II is kinda fucked as an album. As more and more years go by I find myself likeing UYI II less and less. It's got some great and amazing songs on it but as an album it HAS NOT stood the test of time. There's no flow to it. Plus in my opinion it has one of the lamest songs ever on it. Get in the Ring is a joke of a song. great music but Axl ruined it with the lyrics. Never liked it. And it's capped off with that peice of shit My World which is so out of place it's not even funny. UYI I would have been better than AFD had they switched out these songs:

Dust N' Bones - You Could be Mine
Bad Obsession - Civil War
Bad Apples - Locomotive

Would they all fit? I don't know. Unfortunately Breakdown and Estranegd would be too out of place to be on UYI I.
GeraldFord
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2006, 08:15:31 PM »

Keep 'em the way they are. Two of the best albums of all-time...we know the truth, someday the rest of the world will catch up.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2006, 10:40:02 PM »

Keep 'em the way they are. Two of the best albums of all-time...we know the truth, someday the rest of the world will catch up.
I feel the same way about these albums. What makes them so great is - they have a bit of everything.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2006, 09:37:53 AM »

Nevermind being released a week later.

Just to clarify something, the 'release date' for Nevermind was somewhat irrelevant. Not sure how old you were then, but at the time, people weren't anticipating 'the new Nirvana album'. It was released, and poof!, didn't make much of a dent in the album sales charts.. However, after a few weeks (October) MTV, and some radio stations, began playing Nevermind. It was mostly on MTV, known as the guy who no one knows what he's singing about. By December, it gets alot of airplay, and just about everyone has heard the song. I remeber being a freshman in college, and at the end of our fall semester, we were joking about some of the lyrics. But by the time we came back, a month later in January 1992, the song just exploded and was all over the  place, Nirvana played SNL, and within a month were one of the best bands out there.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 10:20:03 AM »

Nevermind being released a week later.

Just to clarify something, the 'release date' for Nevermind was somewhat irrelevant. Not sure how old you were then, but at the time, people weren't anticipating 'the new Nirvana album'. It was released, and poof!, didn't make much of a dent in the album sales charts.. However, after a few weeks (October) MTV, and some radio stations, began playing Nevermind. It was mostly on MTV, known as the guy who no one knows what he's singing about. By December, it gets alot of airplay, and just about everyone has heard the song. I remeber being a freshman in college, and at the end of our fall semester, we were joking about some of the lyrics. But by the time we came back, a month later in January 1992, the song just exploded and was all over the  place, Nirvana played SNL, and within a month were one of the best bands out there.

This is all true. I'm not quite sure why people always bring up Nirvana and Nevermind whereas GNR is concerned. Nirvana's success only killed bands like Warrant & Firehouse. They did nothing to stop the GNR machine.

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 10:25:45 AM »

Damn, 15 years without an album.

Why are we still hanging around?

hihi

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: