Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:51:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227867 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why do you admire Axl Rose? EVERYONE ANSWER
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do you admire Axl Rose? EVERYONE ANSWER  (Read 16715 times)
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« on: May 02, 2004, 05:56:31 PM »

I want only positive answers for this.  Forget about the album being delayed and all the  other unfortunate drama that has gone on for the last few years.  I want you to write in detail about why you admire Axl Rose.  Explain what first made you a fan.  Explain why you're still waiting for him.  Explain why you think he can or can't pull this off.

Let's hear it all.  Thanks. ok
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 06:01:20 PM »

if i go in detail i would have a muti pg repsons...to keep it short:

the "realness", mystery, the mystique, the passion, the attitude,desire,the sarcasim, the comedy, what you see what you get type thing, idk and a whole bunch of other things.

plain and simple. he is the the best frontman around. without him i would be somewhat of a different person. 4 years have gone and he has had an influence on my life. he hasnt saved my life or anything but he has played a role in me. how big or small i have no clue.

thanks axl keep up the great work....and prove them mofos all wrong...save us milkboy

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 06:04:12 PM »

younggunner, I know you can write more than that, and I expect you to do so.  I'm going to be showing this to some people and I want it to make an impact.  If anyone can make this thread good, it's you.  So let's hear it beer
Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 06:06:52 PM »

I'm not sure I admire him (I don't think I have any "heros".. they are after all just humans). What first got me into GnR was the first time I heard It's So Easy, my uncle bought the single in '87 and when I heard Axl shout the words "FUCK OFF" it was "Cool.. he said fuck" (bear in mind I was 10/11 years old at the time). Then a while later he (my uncle) bought AFD.

I can't say I'm waiting for Axl so much as waiting for new music. The way GH is up on the charts is why I think the next album will be able to sell as many, if not more. Tho this is all down to timing. If the album is too "late", it could work well to the negative.

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
alwaysoutparading
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 06:08:19 PM »

he's real. yeah he has problems, but he's not trying to hide that. he's not trying to exlpoit it either. he's confused. he's a real person and one of the only real people in the music industry today. no one is pushing his buttons (imo). he's the last great rock star the world has known. i'll always admire him for the fact that he got out of bumfuck indiana and pursued his dream and made it. he didn't just make it because of luck or the other people around him or anything. he's fucking amazing.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 06:27:46 PM »

I admire the man for several reasons, but most of all because of his musical genius and his passion for what he does. Not many people will go through all the shit he has.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »

I think Axl is a real musical genius. every time I listen to November Rain I'm blown away. Only a genius could reach the musical perfection like that. This is very impressive. A PIECE OF ART.
His voice is (was?) unique. si row, so angry, so true! very "rock n' roll". I remember back in the days in Paris, around 1992, Axl Rose as THE icon of every teenager with Slash in Paris. Everybody wanted to be Axl Rose with his red bandana. The success was SO BIG that it kicked everybody's ass.
However I have never understood how that guy could write fantastic songs like November Rain or Estranged, an then write horrible songs like "my world". How is it possible? is it the same guy? It's day and night both. I love him but sometimes I find that guy very strange. It's part of his madness.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 06:39:30 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mattgnr
Rocker

I'm a llama and very proud

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 06:38:20 PM »

Attitude and self belief
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 06:38:52 PM by Mattgnr » Logged
anarchy
VIP

Smug

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 06:51:20 PM »

If he doesn't like something he just says "fuck it".

insupportofaxl
Optimist
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 07:12:59 PM »

I admire Axl Rose for these reasons:

At points in our lives, we all encounter various types of hardships, heartache, sorrow, pain, confusion, etc.

Axl Rose is the ONLY musician who can touch us and relate to us by his gift of voice and song.

For this reason, we all feel that Axl understands us and indirectly, is our friend.

He is truly the greatest frontman of all time and no one can take that away from him.

Axl Rose = real =  ok

Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 07:14:40 PM »

The first thing that draws you to Axl is his voice.  For me, he's simply the best rock 'n' roll singer ever.  He's able to express anger, happiness, sadness, fear, humour, and basically any emotion in a direct manner that goes straight to your heart.  But the coolest thing about it is simply the fact that he sounds like nobody else.  To this day, nobody has even been able to copy Axl Rose's voice.  It's a squawking scream that makes you wonder how he still has vocal cords.  For anybody to have vocal power like that is simply amazing.  In "Welcome to the Jungle", where he sings, "you're gonna DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...that's just unbeatable.  It doesn't get any better than that.

Besides that, Axl looked cool doing it, which to me is almost as important.  He gave you the impression of a tough, volatile street rocker that could kick your ass, but also of a tortured artist sitting at the piano making beautiful music.  He's got cool hair, whether it's straight or puffed up in that crazy WTTJ fashion.  Speaking of which, I love the way Axl dresses.  I mean, some people think that his dress sense was atrocious, but I think the exact opposite.  Bandanas, leather, short spandex pants, high top sneakers, police hats, aviator sunglasses, KILTS...no matter what he was wearing, he made it look incredibly cool.

Axl's personality appeals to me.  A lot of people think he's a jerk.  Others think he's a great guy.  I don't know.  All I know is that he was a volatile package of anger, shyness, weirdness, and humour....a tortured artist, but one that made you feel great when he made beautiful music.  Axl does what he wants, says what he wants, and is the person he wants to be...a total original.  If you don't like that, go and listen to some Staind, suckass.  Axl gave the impression that he was his own person, and for that I have to admire him.  People think he's racist, sexist, whatever, but they don't understand the subtleties in his lyrics.  And even if he was misogynist, I don't give a shit.  That was him; he didn't try and hide it from you.  He's one of my ultimate heroes, just because he's such an antihero.

Mind you, when I think of AXL ROSE, the rock god, I think of him up to about 1993 or so, back when Guns N' Roses were still the biggest rock 'n' roll band in the world.  I can identify with Axl as a young man, which is where I'm at right now.  Axl was as an angry young guy, not very popular in school, who went out to become a rock 'n' roll star and achieved that beyond his wildest dreams.  He represents to me the epitome of a loser becoming a rock god, which is my ultimate dream.

For these reasons, I tend to think that after Slash left the band, that was about the time when the original Axl Rose - the one I admire so much today - effectively died, as he morphed into a middle-aged, eyebrowless, eccentric former rock star, getting plastic surgery and hair extensions, becoming the only original member of a band that is now going nowhere slowly.  I can't identify with a 40-year-old guy in hair extensions and oversized sports jerseys who plays with the world's greatest Appetite For Destruction cover band.  The old Guns N' Roses gave you the impression that they were a gang, a group of friends ready to take on the world, with Axl as its rough-and-tumble leader.  The new Guns N' Roses seems to me like the last gasp of an aging superstar.

For that reason, although I'm interested in Chinese Democracy and hope that Axl can rule the music world again, just because he's such an amazing talent, it doesn't have the relevance to me that it would if he were leading the original lineup.  Axl as he is today, to me, represents a sad end to a tortured young man, as he devolves into rock's own Howard Hughes.  Ultimately, it will be the music that decides whether Axl can once again become the rock 'n' roll god he once was.  Because in the end, regardless of what he looks like or the way he acts, it is The Voice that makes me love Axl Rose.   And if he can still scream like a banshee (or even wail) while singing great songs, I'm with him all the way.

ROCK ON, AXL.  beer
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 08:14:10 PM »

His shorts. Wink

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »

he's rock n' rolls last hope! beer

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 08:27:12 PM »

1) his singing..His voice gave me shivers and i was always amazed by his vocal range.
2) his stage energy
3) his beautiful hair color
4) speaking out about issues that were still a taboo back then. He helped.

Nothing to say
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 08:39:07 PM »

Wowwy good question.  ok

Why I admire Axl so much.  When I was younger, I love the way he looked.  He could express such raw feeling with just one look...and it translated through whatever medium it was, photo, film...whatever.

As I got older, I respected the music.  As a young adult, I had problems expressing myself.  Here was a guy telling the world his deepest feelings through beautiful music.  It blew me away (and still does)  Just thinking how much courage it takes to bare all like that.....unbelievable.

And as I've grown, where I am now.  I respect the man because he has done what he has to so that he can keep the name of the band alive and himself alive.  There had to have been drugs and shit everywhere when the band was touring.  People that have been thrown to superstardom often turn to drugs and alcohol because of the pain that it entails.  Axl has never had one of those trips to a detox, he's done it through his music.

I have the utmost respect for him.  He is a very private person, and he seems to choose very carefully when and how he expresses himself.   He's been through massive amounts of shit with the media and the industry, so he's very careful.  

Damn, I can't express the reasons why, everything I've written looks so paltry, not quite right.  

He's a giant, yet he's just a man.  He's a person who commands respect, and at the very bottom of it his a human being.  He has his problems and he has been under the microscope for the better part of his life.  

I've wanted to meet him since I was very young, but the reasons have changed since then.  Now I just want to thank him for such wonderful music.  And no, I don't want to meet him so I can have sex with him....he is quite capable of chosing the women he wants I think, and I doubt I would be one of them  hihi

I think that he has an iron will, he will have what he wants.  If it takes another 10 yrs, he will have it.  He is a very intelligent man, so he knows what he has to do.  He is a one of a kind man and I admire and respect that  smoking

Eh...still doesn't quite fit it, but it'll do  hihi

Oh yeah, and his voice, both speaking and singing, sends shivers of pure pleasure up my spine Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 08:42:29 PM by LittleFly » Logged

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
neko
Rocker

Coco el rey de las moronas

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2004, 09:40:19 PM »

yes cool question .

i admire him for his voice  , i dont know how to tell it but he does like a cool change of voice when he is singing , thats beautiful.

other thing is his precense in the stage , he looks like a totaly normal guy if you see it in an interview or something , but if you see it in a concert you know he is the best rock star of all time .

his songs , he has one of the best songs i have heard , among those estranged.

when i was a kid i used to saw him in mtv here in mexico , i really like Axl voice and i was amaze watching the videos, then they stop playing them , i didnt knew anything and i didnt even remember Axl very much , then one day like 6 years after  i heard Dont cry and watched the video and it was like remembering those days , it was like this is the man , this is a rock star , i cant explain the feeling .

what im wating now its that that rock star returns and gets to be big again , im really looking forward to see if he can do it , im 21 years , but i think it doesnt matter if you are 20 ,40 or 60 , if you are a talented guy you are one for ever , so i know if Axl wants he can be big again.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2004, 10:06:21 PM »

"November Rain" and "Estranged."
That explains everything  Smiley

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2004, 10:22:18 PM »

I'm not sure that admire is really the right word here.  In the summer of '91 it wouldn't been, now it's more fascination than admiration.
  Obviously the music he created is what really has stood the test of time.  Why else would I still be here?(meaning a gnr board, not ya know, the planet)
  He's gutsy.  He says whats on his mind no matter how fucked up it may be.  I miss his interviews.  I used to read them over and over again when I was a kid.
  He's totally whacked, and whacked out people are always interesting.

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
Annie
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2004, 10:23:47 PM »

:DI have been in love with Axl ever since I saw the NOVEMBER RAIN video for the very first time.  Words can't really describe why I admire Axl. Back in 1986 I met the most extraordinary little boy who was named Andrew. He had been diagnosed with leukemia and he came to UW Hospital for a bone marrow transplant. Even though he was only 4 years old Andrew was the most extraordinary person whom I have ever met. He died in 1987 and he really wanted to be a rock star. had he lived I know in my heart that he would have liked to have grown up to be like Axl Rose.  I wrote a screenplay about this for TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL, but unfortunatley the show was cancelled last year. Roll Eyes
K-Rock
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2004, 11:01:50 PM »

I'll keep it real simple:

His voice....his performance and energy on stage.

I could care less about all his attitude and his drama.......it's a fucking soap opera and I don't like soap operas or TV for that matter.

IMO, he's the greatest singer that ever lived.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: