Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 11:41:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  why Chinese Democracy will be a disappointment
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: why Chinese Democracy will be a disappointment  (Read 10995 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: June 02, 2004, 06:02:28 PM »

I was listening to Contraband and reading some reviews and it hit me

Chinese Democracy will be a huge disappointment when we hear it at least at first

Velvet Revolver we love cause of the GNR connection, we all had unattainable expectations for VR

this is why i think most people dont like Contraband all that much, cause the expectations were just to high to match

having said this, look at the CHinese Democracy expectations, not only are we anticipating it more than contraband but the mystique it has built has even a whole new level of pressure

so how can chinese democracy be a success?

we have in our minds the greatest songs in the world awaiting us but can those songs live up to what we think they are gonna be?

just look at fall to pieces? the next november rain? hardly

so anyway chinese democracy can live up to expectations or are we all gonna commit mass suicide from disappointment when we hear it

what does everyone think?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
spiderman
Rocker

i can feel my spider sense....

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 06:12:51 PM »

i am expecting chinese democracy to be a double album. if there are less than 20 tracks... i will be dam disapointed... i will also be disapointed if im still waiting for the album this time next year. crying
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 06:17:38 PM »

With th exception of 'Silkworms,' I've been greatly impressed with every new piece Axl has played, and if he ever gets his legal shit worked out and his thumbs out of his ass, I have no doubt this album will be great....but if you mean we will dissappointed b/c it won't be another AFD (like people are saying about Contraband), well, then I guess you could be right...but I don't want AFD, I want to see the musical growth Axl has allegedly been focusing on the past decade. It all depends on the standard by which we are judging new material: album sales, resemblance to old material, or on its own purely artisitic merits.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Toast960
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 06:29:15 PM »

Well I personally have no expectations for "Chinese Democracy" other than for Axl to still be musically kicking ass. People with expectations are usually disappointed.

I love this job more than I love taffy. And I'm a man who loves his taffy

-Mayor Adam West
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 06:58:45 PM »

Its an interesting question. And whenever the release date comes there will be much more in depth discussion on this very topic.

It depends if your talking baout sales or just music. We would all love to see gnr have the whole music world by the balls again. But that is asking for a lot. The material on CD would have to be so magical it captures everyone of all genres.

The more realistic throne for GNR to regain is the rock throne. Who has it right now? Linkin Park maybe eventually VR......

As long as Im happy with CD I consider it a success. And as long as the people who have been supporting axl and the new band are happy with it then I cant really ask for more. As long as the album is good as gnrs past efforts in the sense that its great music and very different and unique but all works...idk as we get closer ill make more sense...

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Luckyme
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 07:03:56 PM »

Its an interesting question. And whenever the release date comes there will be much more in depth discussion on this very topic.

It depends if your talking baout sales or just music. We would all love to see gnr have the whole music world by the balls again. But that is asking for a lot. The material on CD would have to be so magical it captures everyone of all genres.

The more realistic throne for GNR to regain is the rock throne. Who has it right now? Linkin Park maybe eventually VR......

As long as Im happy with CD I consider it a success. And as long as the people who have been supporting axl and the new band are happy with it then I cant really ask for more. As long as the album is good as gnrs past efforts in the sense that its great music and very different and unique but all works...idk as we get closer ill make more sense...
peace

I think he said it all.
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 07:05:40 PM »

From what I have heard- Maddy, The Blues, Chinese, OMG

I think that I will be satisfied from what lies ahead in CD. What matters are if the fans are happy cause we are the ones who have waited this long.

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
badapple81
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 07:26:21 PM »

D, we all had a long wait and high expectations for RIR3 and hearing the new songs, and we were all impressed with Maddie, The Blues etc..

So I think if the material is good.. or at least above avg.. we will like the songs.

Contraband has been a disappointment because the material is no more than average, and with the combination of Slash, Duff and Matt, we expected more than average.

When i heard Slither was the first single, I thought it was a bit odd as it wouldnt have been one of their best tracks.. but sadly, it is.
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 08:17:20 PM »

I was listening to Contraband and reading some reviews and it hit me

Chinese Democracy will be a huge disappointment when we hear it at least at first

Velvet Revolver we love cause of the GNR connection, we all had unattainable expectations for VR

this is why i think most people dont like Contraband all that much, cause the expectations were just to high to match

having said this, look at the CHinese Democracy expectations, not only are we anticipating it more than contraband but the mystique it has built has even a whole new level of pressure

so how can chinese democracy be a success?

we have in our minds the greatest songs in the world awaiting us but can those songs live up to what we think they are gonna be?

just look at fall to pieces? the next november rain? hardly

so anyway chinese democracy can live up to expectations or are we all gonna commit mass suicide from disappointment when we hear it

what does everyone think?

IMAGINE, JUST IMAGINE FOR A SECOND what?s going on in Axl?s head since 97...

if there?s 16 songs amazing and 2 songs "ok" in 18 of CHINESE DEMOCRACY, we?ll see a lots of reviews ( midia ) rating this album "just good" ...

F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »

I look at it like this.
If Axl releases the album it will have lived up to my expectations.....People have to be down to earth and realize this man is not a fucking Einstien of music because IMO there is none....If you can't listen to the album and say "Hey these are some killer tunes" or "Hey this album is a hunk of shit" than your an idiot.......If the songs are great noone can deny that fact IMO....If the songs are great you can't say it didn't live up.
What the fuck are you waiting for?....A listen of Chinese Democracy while getting a fly to the fucking moon? smoking

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 08:38:47 PM »

Chinese Democracys myth and hype has made it legendary years before release.  However, its that hype coupled with the insane amount of time invested in it that will ultimately make it a disappointment to most.  Because at the end of the day, its only a CD.  Its not going to be the Holy Grail - the perfect album that many have invented in their minds.  Its going to be an album of 16, maybe 18 tracks and when its over most will probably wonder "Thats it?  14 years and $13.5 million for that?"  And thats not to imply that it will be bad - Im very confident it will be great.  Possibly a genuine classic (not just a classic due to extenuating circumstances)...but nothing can justify that amount of time and hype.  Thats the curse of his situation.  Its been too long and too anticipated.  The expectations are now unrealistic for many.  

The only way for him to truly live up to the hype is to open the floodgates and release an awesome DVD, a book/booklet detailing the last 14 years, as well as demos, extra tracks and possibly a second CD.  But that obviously wont happen.  Thats the only scenario I can picture people being ulmtimately satisfied with.

Axls best move would be to release the next album as soon as possible.  Like announce a release date a month or two after the first one...that way people understand that theres more, and that this one album isnt everything.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 08:50:27 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 09:59:32 PM »

We have the big expectations..... it is the rest of the world's opinions that will matter - the ones who had no hope in hell for the band - there are far more of them than us.  They don't even know of Chinese Democracy yet
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 10:00:26 PM by KeVoRkIaN » Logged

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 11:02:43 PM »

If people are expecting Sweet Child, Paradise City or WTTJ Part 2, it'll disappoint the masses.  Screw the masses.  Screw the critics who will pan it no matter what.  I just want to hear it!!!  

Now if D is right though, and a mass suicide is indicated...do we wear the purple shrouds and black Nikes like the Heaven's Gate cult of years past?  Or will it be kilts and red and white Converse.  hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 11:11:31 PM »

Chinese Democracys myth and hype has made it legendary years before release.  However, its that hype coupled with the insane amount of time invested in it that will ultimately make it a disappointment to most.  Because at the end of the day, its only a CD.  Its not going to be the Holy Grail - the perfect album that many have invented in their minds.  Its going to be an album of 16, maybe 18 tracks and when its over most will probably wonder "Thats it?  14 years and $13.5 million for that?"  And thats not to imply that it will be bad - Im very confident it will be great.  Possibly a genuine classic (not just a classic due to extenuating circumstances)...but nothing can justify that amount of time and hype.  Thats the curse of his situation.  Its been too long and too anticipated.  The expectations are now unrealistic for many.  

The only way for him to truly live up to the hype is to open the floodgates and release an awesome DVD, a book/booklet detailing the last 14 years, as well as demos, extra tracks and possibly a second CD.  But that obviously wont happen.  Thats the only scenario I can picture people being ulmtimately satisfied with.

Axls best move would be to release the next album as soon as possible.  Like announce a release date a month or two after the first one...that way people understand that theres more, and that this one album isnt everything.
For the most part I completely agree.

Cd will contain 18 tracks and then another 10 extra tracks....And you mentioned that they should follow up with additional albums...As you probably know the plan is to release the second album a year and change after cd and then the 3rd.......

What gnr will probabaly do is when they finally go ahead they will have a big ass press release explaining gnr's present and future. SO when things get rolling we will know much more....And when that comes peopel wont concentrate soley on the amount of time it has taken aspect....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 11:22:23 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 11:24:04 PM »

While I agree he has been working on more than one album's worth of material....all bets are off depending on how the first album is recieved by the public. If it does not do well, he may have to rethink what else he intends to release because this has to be a commerical success to protect his legacy. CD bombing comericially(even if the music is great) blows this whole plan up of just releasing the material he has already recorded.

Starting to see all the promotion it takes to get people interested in your project like VR has had to do, I am just not sure I ever see Axl wanting to do that. I mean a new radio show every day or a concert every other night, does anyone actually see him doing that for a prolonged period of time. I am just not sure he can consistently make nice enough to get peope to give him favorable reviews, because he needs to start kissing some ass right now, because if the critics slam this album it is going to hurt, that just the way it is. Some will look past his antics and just at the music, but I would hate to see people hold it against the music just because he doesn't make nice with them. Certainly plenty to ponder.
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 11:24:26 PM »

i totally agree. well put.
about the rest of the world not knowing about Chinese Democracy?? Guns N Roses were the biggest band in the world. Then they disappeared. Even if people haven't heard of "Chinese Democracy" (which i highly doubt), they will think it's odd to hear from Guns again and will wonder, as we do, if 10 years was worth the final product.

Either way though, i don't care what everyone thinks. I just want to hear what Axl has to say. He's certainly mastered the art of perpetuating the mystery around him and his image.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 11:26:35 PM »

holy shit i agree with booker nervous nervous

he is dead on the money that was what i was wanting to say but couldnt say it like he did

bookers post was the point i was trying to make

it can be better than the illusions but im expecting shit that will just make me jump 20 feet in the air and love songs that will make me cry and make me wanna pass out

im expecting nothin less than the voice of God and its unrealistic but the hype and mystique and the fact he said the blues isnt a big gun, i mean the blues is on par with the greatest gnr songs ever *projecting what a studio version would sound like that is* and if that isnt the best than holy fuck!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 11:40:56 PM »

Starting to see all the promotion it takes to get people interested in your project like VR has had to do, I am just not sure I ever see Axl wanting to do that
Gnr will do that and then some. Mark my words, Gnr will be a promotional/marketing machine when they get ths thing going.

And its not all Axl. Axl is obiviously the main member put the record company will also be introducing the other members of gnr into the spotlight in terms of promoting. All of the members will be in various magazines/interviews etc. So its not gonna be an Axl show.

The only thing im mad about is bucket leaving. IF he ever came back fugedaboudit....

because he needs to start kissing some ass right now,
Taht is one thing Axl/gnr will never do

because if the critics slam this album it is going to hurt, that just the way it is. Some will look past his antics and just at the music, but I would hate to see people hold it against the music just because he doesn't make nice with them. Certainly plenty to ponder.
All of that is very valid. Hopefully peopel will judge the album on the music. Thats all I will ask for. If they dont liek the music fine no problem but just hope they dont liek it because of the hwole situation. Time will tell.

Whne gnr do things seriosuly I think the media will take them seriosuly and be more professional about their reviews. we shall see though....

as long as myself and gnr fans are happy with the material thats all i care about

HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 12:11:04 AM »

You couldn't be more wrong. I didn't really notice all that much hype for Velvet Revolver and 'Contraband'. But you see, the songs we've already heard from the new GNR have matched a lot of our expectations (IMO), so we shouldn't have anything to worry. Obviously, it would be next to impossible to match the hype 'Chinese Democracy' has going for it, but Axl will put forth his best effort, and you can't find any better than that...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 12:18:51 AM »

When I say hype I am just referring to getting yourself out there. Doing the talk shows, showing up at radio stations every morning and playing your single, pre-listening parties, going to TV shows you don't like, and all of the daily rigors that come with promo. It seems like a new Slash/Duff interview pops up daily and Axl will have to do the very same things. The promotional work is a grind, releasing the CD is the easy part.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: