Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 03:47:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227873 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  why Chinese Democracy will be a disappointment
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: why Chinese Democracy will be a disappointment  (Read 10997 times)
slashnbuckethead
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 02:31:07 AM »

I agree. At this point, with all the time he's spent on it, if it inst the single greates sound ever recorded in the history of man, then it will be a dissapointment. But anything is possible, especially with axl behind the wheel.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 03:18:40 AM »

Well my expectations are good for CD from what i've heard. Nothing excellent like the old gunners did. So if the album measures up to the old standards i wont be dissapointed but my hopes for it arent that high and thats a bonus

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 04:40:47 AM »

Chinese Democracys myth and hype has made it legendary years before release.  However, its that hype coupled with the insane amount of time invested in it that will ultimately make it a disappointment to most.  Because at the end of the day, its only a CD.  Its not going to be the Holy Grail - the perfect album that many have invented in their minds.  Its going to be an album of 16, maybe 18 tracks and when its over most will probably wonder "Thats it?  14 years and $13.5 million for that?"  And thats not to imply that it will be bad - Im very confident it will be great.  Possibly a genuine classic (not just a classic due to extenuating circumstances)...but nothing can justify that amount of time and hype.  Thats the curse of his situation.  Its been too long and too anticipated.  The expectations are now unrealistic for many.  

Axls best move would be to release the next album as soon as possible.  Like announce a release date a month or two after the first one...that way people understand that theres more, and that this one album isnt everything.

I totally agree with you. I'm sure it will be a great record, if Axl ever releases, but no album needs 10+ years making. And I was quite surpised when I heard RIR3, when they played (hopefully) unfinished tracks, such as Riyadh and Silkworms. I hope Axl will release the damned album in months- but it isn't likely.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
shaun
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2004, 04:57:19 AM »

i am expecting chinese democracy to be a double album. if there are less than 20 tracks... i will be dam disapointed... i will also be disapointed if im still waiting for the album this time next year. crying

2 cd's in 1 box or 2 boxes each with 1 cd in? (Use Your Illusion style).

I think there will be 30 tracks released on 3 cd's (each in their own box + sticker).
Ca$hing in even more so than UYI I and II  beer
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 04:59:16 AM by shaun » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 05:00:37 AM »

Guns n Roses and prince are the two greatest innovators of marketing and strategy

GNR with the two albums on the same day, Prince with shipping singles to radio without the record label even knowing, Prince giving out musicology cds at concerts and they count on the charts

so i expect axl to do something different, not release it conventional like everyone else does

This CD im expecting to do to music what Nirvana did to the 80's music

todays music is fuckin trash, somebody and something has to change it, why not W Axl Rose?

he has the talent and the ability and its time the music world needs W Axl Rose!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 05:01:37 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2004, 05:15:35 AM »

Well my expectations are good for CD from what i've heard. Nothing excellent like the old gunners did. So if the album measures up to the old standards i wont be dissapointed but my hopes for it arent that high and thats a bonus

yeah..same thing here..and what I've heard the songs from Axl and co. it won't be a disappointment for me..but I'm not saying that it's going to be #1 album for the next 2 years either..
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2004, 07:18:34 AM »

I'm very curious about Chinese Democracy but I can't say I'm attaching myself to the outcome of what I may hear (if and when it is released). I already like the title track, Chinese Democracy--so at least I know there will be one song that reaches my soul...other than that, I'll just be glad (for Axl) when it comes out because I think (just my two cents) he needs to let go of this thing...and take the Doris Day attitude of Que Sera, Sera...whatever will be, will be...
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2004, 08:28:02 AM »

Velvet Revolver we love cause of the GNR connection,

...or not  Roll Eyes

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2004, 08:43:58 AM »

Velvet Revolver we love cause of the GNR connection,

...or not  Roll Eyes

ok dude like if slash,duff and matt wasnt in this band anyone on this board would give two fucks about them

no fuckin way!

yeah we are lining up to hear a scott weiland solo disc arent we?

facts are without the former GNR members a very small percentage of us would give a shit!

bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2004, 09:10:55 AM »

well i think it will be great album,and great comeback for axl rose.
well as we know azl wrote november rain,estranged,breakdown...,and there were amazing songs,
AXL I BELIEVE IN YOU
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2004, 10:42:02 AM »

but no album needs 10+ years making.
The album hasnt taken 10 yrs to make. NewGnr began working on the material around 98/99...So thats 6 years. Dont forget the 2 other albums. So thats 3 albums in 6 yrs...not too shabby.....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
madagas
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2004, 10:44:29 AM »

Nice post Booker. I agree, people will want more than just a standard 16-18 song cd. Simple as that. I do. He should either make it a double album up front with 20-25 songs or IMMEDIATELY announce in his first press release for Chinese that this is only the first album and give EXPLICIT details as to timeframes for release of the rest of the material and where he is at in regards to recording the follow up record. This will deflect some of the shit the press will give him for the length of time in the studio. Of course, none of this will happen.  Cry
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2004, 03:54:25 PM »

It can't disappoint as long as you remember it's just a band. These are just people with guitars and whatever else playing music. I walked into the door labeled VR with an open mind and liked what I heard. I've kept an open mind with CD as well, what I've heard so far I enjoy.

I'm not expecting anything more than an album called Chinese Democracy from a band called Guns n' Roses. If it sucks, I'll either not buy it or return it if I have already made the purchase.

MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2004, 04:02:28 PM »

As long as Im happy with CD I consider it a success. And as long as the people who have been supporting axl and the new band are happy with it then I cant really ask for more. As long as the album is good as gnrs past efforts in the sense that its great music and very different and unique but all works...idk as we get closer ill make more sense...

Good point!

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Snakepit__
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2004, 03:26:04 PM »

You Can't Say The Chinese Democracy Will Be disappointing When You Don't Have Heard It..
uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2004, 04:33:19 PM »

At the point i'm ready to say fuck the new album and just tour for the next 3 years on old and new songs and play 3 hour + shows like the old days lol beer

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2004, 03:43:02 AM »

i will be happy as long as axl has evolved and the album sounds fresh and new, nothing like it out now or nothing from the gnr past

i think VR sound dated already in a way, its like they tried to hard to recapture the glory days instead of letting natural evolution take over

chinese democracy will have to be on par with the illusions in my opinion for it to not be a disappointment to many due to the long wait and just all the mystique and time surrounding it

thats all im saying

it can destroy appetite and still disappoint some, cause most people who have such a loyal alliegence to the old band will never admit if its better

if its released wait and see the negative responses

Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2004, 09:27:29 AM »

I don't think Chinese Democracy will be a disappointment.  I mean, sure, us here are super hyped about anything remotely related to GNR, and if the album were to ever be released (hey, I am a bit skeptical in that department) this board will be filled with the comments made by supporters and the haters of the new material (just check another section of the board to see what I am talkin' about).

Truth be told, from what I have heard so far, in particular, The Blues, Madagascar, and Chinese Democracy... I enjoy.  I think these songs are very nice.  I liked The Blues immediately and after a few listens, I was definitely a fan of Madagascar and Chinese Democracy.  Silk Worms is a bit different / experimental, but it is good in that way.  It is not something we have heard before, or come to expect (okay, maybe after My World anything goes Smiley).

The only disappointing factor is the delays... but you know what, life happens.  Things (good or bad) occur during good or bad times.  Plans change, people change.  I am just hoping (again, not all that much as the skeptic that I am Smiley) GNR will release their CD when the time and energy are right.  
triple
Opening Act

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2004, 07:13:23 PM »

I was listening to Contraband and reading some reviews and it hit me

Chinese Democracy will be a huge disappointment when we hear it at least at first

Velvet Revolver we love cause of the GNR connection, we all had unattainable expectations for VR

this is why i think most people dont like Contraband all that much, cause the expectations were just to high to match

having said this, look at the CHinese Democracy expectations, not only are we anticipating it more than contraband but the mystique it has built has even a whole new level of pressure

so how can chinese democracy be a success?

we have in our minds the greatest songs in the world awaiting us but can those songs live up to what we think they are gonna be?

just look at fall to pieces? the next november rain? hardly

so anyway chinese democracy can live up to expectations or are we all gonna commit mass suicide from disappointment when we hear it

what does everyone think?
well, i've loved every last song i've heard from nu-gnr and if CD has anything similar on it i'll love it

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: