Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 12:08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why can't they play Oh my god without mistakes?
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why can't they play Oh my god without mistakes?  (Read 9333 times)
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: September 23, 2004, 12:12:59 AM »

I was just listening to some mp3 bootlegs and I was just wondering why can't they play Oh My God live without mistakes? I don't think the song is really that complex.
Schwarzgold
VIP

KAWUGI!

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 02:27:03 AM »

I can't  answer this question (because I'm not a musician), but I always had the same thoughts about the Intro of "YCBM" - everytime I saw a video of the new band, they fucked it up somehow. Is it that complicated?

Restraint is for suckers.
hackvresse
Rocker

I'm God

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 04:16:54 AM »

It's not that easy but they are prof. musicians...

maybe we'd be better off without you anyway
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 04:51:43 AM »

haven't they played OMG live only once?
and as for YCBM, have you only watched the RIR3 show? cos that's the only show Ive seen where they've fucked up the intro.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 06:02:58 AM »

but I always had the same thoughts about the Intro of "YCBM" - everytime I saw a video of the new band, they fucked it up somehow. Is it that complicated?
It's not easy indeed. However on YCBM I noticed the main problem always come from Brain (listen to chicago'02 for exemple). It happens sometimes, mistake is human? Tongue
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 06:09:53 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 07:34:13 AM »

but I always had the same thoughts about the Intro of "YCBM" - everytime I saw a video of the new band, they fucked it up somehow. Is it that complicated?
It's not easy indeed. However on YCBM I noticed the main problem always come from Brain (listen to chicago'02 for exemple). It happens sometimes, mistake is human? Tongue

at rio it was definately BH or Finck fuckin up.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 08:08:28 AM »

haven't they played OMG live only once?

It was also played at detroit and, i think, the las vegas shows.
izzbo
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 10:42:02 AM »

Not true. It was played 4 total times. 3 times in Las Vegas 01/01/01, 12/29/02, 12/31/02 and once in Rio. They played Rhiad in Detroit
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 10:50:08 AM »

People fuck up live, no big to do..
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 11:13:27 AM »

RIR the problem is Brains monitor.  You can see him telling Bucket and Tommy he can't hear. Watch closely.  Nothings worse onstage than not hearing anything but yourself.  As a guitarist sometimes I can only hear the drums.

shaun
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 11:49:21 AM »

On the subject of OMG, does anybody else notice the similarities between OMG and the beginning section of Velvet Revolvers Slither? ...and on the subject of Slither, it is about the only VR song that's grown on me so far  ok
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 11:59:55 AM by shaun » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 12:01:24 PM »

On the subject of OMG, does anybody else notice the similarities between OMG and the beginning section of Velvet Revolvers Slither? ...and on the subject of Slither, it is about the only VR song that's grown on me so far? ok

The demo of slither is the only version of it that I like.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 12:31:09 PM »

It got F'd up big time at the Las Vegas show I went to on 12/29/02.  Axl's mic stopped working and he and the rest of the band walked off the stage, giving me a huge scare for someone who took a 4 1/2 plane ride to see them.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 12:53:14 PM »

I was just listening to some mp3 bootlegs and I was just wondering why can't they play Oh My God live without mistakes? I don't think the song is really that complex.
Really? 'Cause the only TWO bootlegs with OMG are Rio and Las Vegas and, for sure, I can say the LV version is almost flawless.

lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 05:07:27 PM »

I thought the reason they fucked it up in Rio is because of Axl.  He didn't sing the right words at the end.  I think he added a line and then the whole band stopped and he sang "The only one in the game who's lost is you!" by himself.  I thought it made for a pretty cool ending, even though Axl fucked it up.  I might be wrong about this cause I haven't watched Rio for over a year, but I doubt it.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 05:52:45 PM »

I thought the reason they fucked it up in Rio is because of Axl.? He didn't sing the right words at the end.? I think he added a line and then the whole band stopped and he sang "The only one in the game who's lost is you!" by himself.? I thought it made for a pretty cool ending, even though Axl fucked it up.? I might be wrong about this cause I haven't watched Rio for over a year, but I doubt it.

I never noticed the added line.? I just thought the band screwed that one up.? But you could be right.? I was referring in my previous post to YCBM at RIR
RIR the problem is Brains monitor.? You can see him telling Bucket and Tommy he can't hear. Watch closely.? Nothings worse onstage than not hearing anything but yourself.? As a guitarist sometimes I can only hear the drums.

elevendayempire
Rocker

...Now I know you better...

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 06:06:05 PM »

I thought the reason they fucked it up in Rio is because of Axl.? He didn't sing the right words at the end.? I think he added a line and then the whole band stopped and he sang "The only one in the game who's lost is you!" by himself.? I thought it made for a pretty cool ending, even though Axl fucked it up.? I might be wrong about this cause I haven't watched Rio for over a year, but I doubt it.

Yup, the closing line's meant to be:

"Oooh, when we're done with the show
Like the tides out on the ocean
The wave's already set in motion
The only one in the game who's lost is you."

And by mistake, Axl swaps the opening one line with the opening two lines of the regular chorus:

"Oooh, if it opens your eyes,
Well just bet on a little less compromise

The band deserve credit for not being thrown by Axl's cock up...

SG
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 08:48:31 PM »

yeh, i really like that ending, even though twas a mistake. think is really powerful to just have the vocals blast out after the band stop suddenly. :-D

Back In Power
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 09:32:30 PM »

yeah, i was at 12/29 vegas, second row center, and i have to say I enjoyed the instrumental version of OMG that they played.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 09:36:42 PM »

Yup, the closing line's meant to be:

"Oooh, when we're done with the show

Its actually ohh well its on with the show Wink

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2004, 04:09:27 AM »

yeh, i really like that ending, even though twas a mistake. think is really powerful to just have the vocals blast out after the band stop suddenly. :-D

yes, actually it sounds better than the original song ending. hehe.
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2004, 01:49:42 PM »

Couldn't agree more. That "fucked up" ending sounded better than the original studio version's ending. I really hope Axl took that "fuck up" into consideration. hihi hihi
estranged.1098
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 03:00:45 PM »

RIR the problem is Brains monitor.? You can see him telling Bucket and Tommy he can't hear. Watch closely.? Nothings worse onstage than not hearing anything but yourself.? As a guitarist sometimes I can only hear the drums.

I like the angry look Axl gives to Brain in that part.  hihi
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2004, 05:31:59 PM »

I got a question.  Does "Oh My God" necessarily have to be on Chinese Democracy?  I wouldn't think so and I can compare it to Sympathy for the Devil.  Is this true?   

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
estranged.1098
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2004, 05:39:07 PM »

I got a question.? Does "Oh My God" necessarily have to be on Chinese Democracy?? I wouldn't think so and I can compare it to Sympathy for the Devil.? Is this true?? ?

It doesn't have to be and I don't think it will be, but if it's it will be a very different version than the one heard on "End of Days" soundtrack.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2004, 07:01:35 PM »

Couldn't agree more. That "fucked up" ending sounded better than the original studio version's ending. I really hope Axl took that "fuck up" into consideration. hihi hihi

I just think he might.... Cause if you look at his face right after hes got a huge smile...Sorta like 'Holy shit that was awesome'!!
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2004, 07:45:08 PM »

I got a question.? Does "Oh My God" necessarily have to be on Chinese Democracy?? I wouldn't think so and I can compare it to Sympathy for the Devil.? Is this true?? ?

It doesn't have to be and I don't think it will be, but if it's it will be a very different version than the one heard on "End of Days" soundtrack.

Do you really think that it will be that much different, and why?  But if it is changed, I wouldn't mind being able to understand Axl a little better.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2004, 11:17:39 PM »

Do you really think that it will be that much different, and why?? But if it is changed, I wouldn't mind being able to understand Axl a little better.

I personally think that because the End of Days version is only a demo.........And live it is also much different than EOD...
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2004, 01:56:39 AM »

I don't think they should use the space for one track that we already know, but who knows. Hey by the way, who played in the original 99 version of "oh my god"? Im guessing that Brain and Bucket where not in the band during that year.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2004, 03:09:50 AM »

Hey guys, im a muso n' im tellin' ya Oh My God is bloody complicated to play, stops n' changes, it's not that easy no

Plus, YCBM intro was not anyones fault, that whole fuckin' gig those poor bastards had nothin' but trouble, they couldnt here a damn thing, Tommy is the one that missed his intro, and yes you can clearly see Brain shaking his head yellin' somethin', they couldnt here shit no

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2004, 08:38:06 AM »

I don't think they should use the space for one track that we already know, but who knows. Hey by the way, who played in the original 99 version of "oh my god"? Im guessing that Brain and Bucket where not in the band during that year.

Axl, Dizzy, Tommy, Paul, Dave Navarro, Gary Sunshine and Josh Freese.
As for Robin Axl says robins parts are on there but I thought I remember Robin saying he didnt think his parts are on the song.  But they could just be buried since that is a lot of guitar parts for one song.

sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2004, 03:41:02 AM »

Axl, Dizzy, Tommy, Paul, Dave Navarro, Gary Sunshine and Josh Freese.
As for Robin Axl says robins parts are on there but I thought I remember Robin saying he didnt think his parts are on the song.? But they could just be buried since that is a lot of guitar parts for one song.

who is Gary Sunshine and Josh Freese?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2004, 08:20:14 AM »

who is Gary Sunshine and Josh Freese?

Gary used to be Axl's guitar teacher, Josh used to be the drummer in GN'R before Brain joined.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2004, 07:12:16 PM »

I think the RIR3 version of You Could Be Mine is the best version by the new band.....Yea Brain fucks it up,but it still sounds good.....During the 2002 tour the intro didn't sound like the You Could Be Mine intro.

As for Oh My God,I like the way it was played in RIR3,with Axl siging with no music behind him at the end....But if you listen to the Vegas 2001 version,it is not fucked up at all.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2004, 10:56:05 AM »

If i want a perfect rendition of a song i will buy it on CD, thats what the studio is for, so everything is "perfect" or close to "perfect".

When i go to a live show. i expect mistakes, improvisation, fuck ups or whatever, it adds to the whole musical experience.

If you went to a live show and everything sounded exactly the same as the album...whats the point in going? You may as well sit at home with a CD player and listen to it over and over again in its perfect Studio produced quality.

The answer to the original question?

I dont know.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2004, 05:59:13 PM »

If i want a perfect rendition of a song i will buy it on CD, thats what the studio is for, so everything is "perfect" or close to "perfect".

When i go to a live show. i expect mistakes, improvisation, fuck ups or whatever, it adds to the whole musical experience.

If you went to a live show and everything sounded exactly the same as the album...whats the point in going? You may as well sit at home with a CD player and listen to it over and over again in its perfect Studio produced quality.

I dont know.

yeah if you want to hear it exactally how it sounds on the albums go to a BSB or Spears concert where they lip synch to a tape.  Tongue

F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2004, 07:48:09 PM »

I dont know.

yeah if you want to hear it exactally how it sounds on the albums go to a BSB or Spears concert where they lip synch to a tape.? Tongue

Dave,
I understand where AxlHogg is coming from....But I also understand that I don't want the band to sound like shit live either....Plus seeing them live is the whole point....You are SEEING them live.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
darkdays_01
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2004, 10:02:28 PM »

yeah if you want to hear it exactally how it sounds on the albums go to a BSB or Spears concert where they lip synch to a tape.? Tongue
Dont agree with Dave a whole lot but you hit the mark right on with that comment. ok
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: