Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:04:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227922 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why was Sympathy for the devil on greatest hits?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why was Sympathy for the devil on greatest hits?  (Read 5566 times)
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2004, 09:35:15 AM »

If not for that I doubt it would've made the cut.
No, it would've been on the cut without all that because it was indeed a hit (Top 10 to be exact), so it belongs on the Greatest Hits album.

so what makes it more deserving to be on there?
The fact that it went to the #10 spot in the U.K while Estranged didn't even chart in the Top 40. In America, Sympathy For the Devil charted at #55. Why don't you give me the chart position for Estranged. Wink Also, listen to what Jarmo said. yes
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2004, 11:31:58 AM »

I have the Estranged single, but what i remember at the time.  It wasn't given a "propper" release, It was more of just a great video for MTV rather than a single - i never understood why they didn't release it propperly.  Especially as it was part of the Trilogy.

To be fair to the label for  a "Greatest Hits" the only crucial song they missed out was "Nightrain".  And some could argue "It's so easy" as it was a single, but it wasn't a hit.   

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2004, 05:23:26 PM »

i happened to like SFTD. and i agree with what jarmo said, its for marketing perposes. but the rythem guitars wern't done by izzy or gilby.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2004, 01:41:03 AM »

It seems like everything is plagued in the GN'R world.  The greatest hits was good but could have been MUCCCCHHH better.  Where's Estranged, NightTrain, Mr. Brownstown, Coma, Locomotive, and Breakdown?  I actually agree with Sympathy for the Devil because it was never released on any albums.  Other than that WAY to many covers for a greatest hits CD.  This point has been brought forth many times, I just felt the need to throw my opinion in there.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2004, 03:12:32 PM »

If not for that I doubt it would've made the cut.
No, it would've been on the cut without all that because it was indeed a hit (Top 10 to be exact), so it belongs on the Greatest Hits album.

so what makes it more deserving to be on there?
The fact that it went to the #10 spot in the U.K while Estranged didn't even chart in the Top 40. In America, Sympathy For the Devil charted at #55. Why don't you give me the chart position for Estranged. Wink Also, listen to what Jarmo said. yes

I can see the fact that it did well in other markets partially convinced Geffen to throw it on there but hitting the U.S. chart at number 55 hardly qualifies it to be on a GREATEST hits album.  You and Jarmo have made valid points that surely contributed to the decision but I still think there was a little more to it.

SuicideUZI
Headliner

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2004, 03:31:06 PM »

I thought it was all the singles that were released in the USA, nightrain and its so easy might've been singles but were they singles in the USA?

now the damge is done
and we're back out on the run
funny how everything was roses
when we held onto the guns
metalhead666
Headliner

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2004, 12:03:39 AM »

Estranged should've been on instead of Sympathy For The Devil

"If there was a new way I'd be the 1st in line, but it'd better work this time."
Outtagetme04
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2004, 01:55:31 PM »

couldn't agree more
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: