Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 04:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why did they release the Tokyo show?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did they release the Tokyo show?  (Read 17512 times)
page
Headliner

Worked to hard for my illusions

« on: April 16, 2004, 03:58:05 PM »

Why do think they has released "live in tokyo" as the official live-video? They`re not really in top form and Axl sings absolutely terrible, out of breath the hole time and hitting all the false notes. There`s so many great perfomences which are recorded why pick Tokyo?
Immortal-Cry
Banned
Headliner

W.A.R. is my answer!

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 04:18:38 PM »

Why do think they has released "live in tokyo" as the official live-video? They`re not really in top form and Axl sings absolutely terrible, out of breath the hole time and hitting all the false notes. There`s so many great perfomences which are recorded why pick Tokyo?
Because the performance is great. IMO

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE, I DO!  
DemocracyRose
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 04:27:09 PM »

You totally wrong.... and out of breath.... rant

I think that GNR did some of there best performings here...

Like Rocket Queen, Estranged, November Rain, Nightrain, Dont Cry and Pretty tied up...

In the lower end... Y.C.B.M, Sweet child o mine and Its so easy...

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »

I never understood why they released Tokyo either. Hell, even Paris 92 or Buenos Aires 92 (filmed for the television) would have been better choices.

But IMO they should have released a video from 1991, when the band was raw as hell...like one of the Los Angeles Forum shows (Inglewood, July/ August 91). The last show was in my opinion one of the best shows the band ever played (and the longest as we all know): Dead Horse, Locomotive, Estranged, You're Crazy, Rocket Queen, etc.

I think the band have played a solid dozen of shows better than Tokyo during the UYI tour. Hell, if they REALLY wanted Tokyo, why didn't they release one of the first two nights? (02.19 & 02.20) That's when they played Coma and Locomotive...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 04:35:33 PM by Will » Logged

page
Headliner

Worked to hard for my illusions

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 01:58:32 PM »

When did Axl start to sing so bad live anyway? In the early days he sang so fucking great live, perhaps even better than on the albums, but while touring for UYI he mostly just sang like crap (IMO) guess he was too busy trying to put on a show on their gigantic stage. Berhaps all his running `round took his breath away and he had no air to sing? Opinions?
Surge
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

When did Axl start to sing so bad live anyway? In the early days he sang so fucking great live, perhaps even better than on the albums, but while touring for UYI he mostly just sang like crap (IMO) guess he was too busy trying to put on a show on their gigantic stage. Berhaps all his running `round took his breath away and he had no air to sing? Opinions?

He was smoking and drinking too much. That's gonna kill your voice. It made it more raspy though - I know some like that.

I really don't understand why they released Tokyo. They perform pretty bad except for a few songs. I think November Rain is especially awful there. It sounds real dull.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 03:59:35 PM »

Maybe it wasn't the band's choice? Maybe that was the show with the best sound/picture quality

Maybe the other shows contained rants that Geffen didn't want getting any more publicity......

Maybe some Japanese politicians paid the band to release THAT show nervous

Quick! To the bandwagon!
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 04:09:23 PM »

Didn't they record that one speically? Like, actually planned it before they played it?
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 07:23:35 PM »

i love that show. eventhough axl's voice is fucked sometimes, but hey! its LIVE  ok

and anotherthing, who is that leadguitarist? he fuck's up slash sweet child solo by bending a long and terribly false note.....  hihi

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 01:31:17 AM »

maybee the promoters in Tokyo paid them to film it there

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 01:45:39 AM »

I like the Tokyo concert but i think they could have made a better choice for an official video

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 01:51:25 AM »

To me there are moments of brilliance as well as moments of complete embarrassment on the Tokyo dvds.

Having watched them again only recently, the thing that stands out to me the most is Slash's incredible shredding. I forgot how f**king unbelievebly good he is.
Just check out the extended solo in Double Talkin Jive or Rocket Queen to see what I'm talking about. beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 01:53:45 AM »

They should've released Paris 1992 or one of the 1993 shows instead of Tokyo. Those shows were a much better representation of the band.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
kockstar99
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 02:35:03 AM »

Using Nightrain as an intro was pretty cool...

I watched this show 1000000 times in high school before the internet made getting bootlegs so easy.. I loved it then but now i couldnt stomach to watch it agian for the 1000001 time...
Mike D
Opening Act

"fo $hizzle"

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 08:16:10 AM »

yeah, paris 1992 was smart!

did they ever release that live dvd in 2002 that was only available in japan??
i had to buy the brazilian UYI dvds when i found out they existed!!

"My CPU is a neural net processor, a learning computer"
Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 10:18:36 AM »

Didn't they record that one speically? Like, actually planned it before they played it?

They recorded every show (or most of them. Some tapes were "liberated" and released as bootlegs tho). Didn't Axl announce on the first night in Tokyo that they were filming that show for release?

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
Surge
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 10:51:51 AM »

They recorded every show (or most of them. Some tapes were "liberated" and released as bootlegs tho). Didn't Axl announce on the first night in Tokyo that they were filming that show for release?

All three Tokyo shows were filmed for release. They should've taken the best from all nights and put it together to one video think. That would've been cooler.
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 12:40:06 PM »

nah def not! i cant stand dvd releases like that where they chop and change between shows. i like to see a specific whole show. That's much better, you get the honesty and power. the show speaks for itself. that way u get a true representation of the band live! i hate polished up and doctored releases as they arent true to what the band are actually like live. yes u get the glitches, but u also get the spontaneous live moments. :-)

as for axls voice, i love the growl. his voice didnt 'go shit' 91 indiana he's in worse form vocally but got loadsa energy! thats one hyper show! :-) 2002 hgis voice was too clean, thin and high until later in the tour (boston, msg) where he got the gowl back but cleaner! that voice sounded good. the earlier 2002 shows highlighted whenever he was off cuz the growl used to give the voice a better tone. but yes, tokyo was a little over raspy! but still great! i think that intro to sweet child fucked it up a bit lol!

on a completely diff note did anyone notice the huge gaps between songs towards the end of the sets in the 2002 tour - that really annoyed me and killed the pace when they played the new songs. thats a big pet hate for me, it kills a show if u leave huige gaps all over the place. still, i loved the shows, just a minor critique :-)

Back In Power
Snakepit__
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2004, 07:32:14 AM »

You Are Fuckin' Crazy man. out of breath? yeah right..  rant
Furious Styles
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 11:40:03 PM »

Since the Search option does not work as of yet, I wasn't able to see if this topic was already discussed, which I'm sure it was so I made this thread in the Dead Horse section, if that's ok.  Undecided

Does anyone know the reasoning as to why they chose to make videos based on their live performance in Tokyo. In my humble opinion, Rocket Queen was an amazing performance, as were a few other songs but when I watch Welcome To The Jungle from Live Era, I see some live shots that floor my mind and I was just curious as to why they specifically chose that Tokyo date.

I haven't seen many live Gn'R shows, but it looked to me as if it wasn't one of their best performaces, though maybe it was. It just seemed from the lighting, the camera work that this was pre-planned to become a home video. That's what it seemed like to me. And after watchin' a commercial for Live Era, it looks like that wasn't the only date played at Tokyo, but I digress....

I was just wonderin' if anyone had any information, there just seemed to be alot of shows they could pick from that  weren't necessarily polished but had that crazy, anything can happen vibe that Tokyo kind of didn't, although the songs were performed pretty well. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: