Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 11:18:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why did they release the Tokyo show?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did they release the Tokyo show?  (Read 17515 times)
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2004, 04:33:34 PM »

I love the Tokyo performance. Paris would have been amazing as an official release.

As far as a 1991 release, weren't the plans to record and officially release the St. Louis performance since there were two scheduled nights and they could've taken footage from both concerts as they did for the Tokyo release ? But then got canned because of the riot.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
neko
Rocker

Coco el rey de las moronas

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2004, 04:39:45 PM »

Probably because Japan is the second largest market in the world.

yes you have a point , and they probably think that in America a show from japan would sell more , if you sell the chicago show the people see it like the other 30 shows that they play in America , but "Guns N Roses in Japan" is something the fans want to see . they probably wrong but thats the reason i think 
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:44 AM »

Sorry to "blast from the past" you - just dragging up this thread from 2004!

I think that the Tokyo Show is one of the band's finest performances. It's strange to think that just 2 years later the whole thing imploded!

Axl's improvisation at the piano before he plays November Rain is mindblowing - he plays the upper notes with just his first three fingers. (or was it a hand injury?  hihi)

Slash does not miss a single beat or note.

Did Duff ever get to release that album that he was talking about - where he plays every instrument on it?

Also, not sure if Axl said this at other concerts - at the end of So Fine - "how could she be cool etc" he says "because she is smart that's why!"

Wonder who?

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2008, 11:45:12 AM »

Slash does not miss a single beat or note.

Did Duff ever get to release that album that he was talking about - where he plays every instrument on it?

If i'm remembering correctly in the solo of i think the first song of the concert slash messes up

and duff did release that album it is the klunker (i hate to say it) named believe in me

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2008, 11:54:22 AM »

What Nightrain. Didn't really notice it.

Everyone was alittle nervous at the beginning, even Axe. By Live and Let Die (3rd song) they all begin to relax.

Looks like they just flew in and went straight to the Dome. The crowd was huge.

Slash's "Godfather" solo is beautiful! + the amount of concentration he had to put into the 2 hour show! That man could hold his own.

Shame about Duff's album. Looks like they didn't get to do the Punk cover album either.

Dave Jenno
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2008, 11:56:25 AM »

Watched those DVD's waaaaay too many times as a kid, absolutely loved them. That was the only decent live footage back then, apart from bootlegs which could be really crap quality.  Now with the internet etc, everything's available for comparison against those shows, and they don't seem quite as good now as they did then. Sound quality lets them down, but a great performance. Axl in top form but not his best night vocally, although he has some amazing moments IMO.

Would've preferred a show with Izzy playing as opposed to Gilby.

I think Axl sounded awesome in the late 80's and early 90's, but would rather forget 2001-2002. His voice lost what I love about it during that period, too high and smooth for me.

He's got it back now though, blew me away when I heard him in 2006. Back to his old brilliant self.  Grin

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »

I don't hate his 2001- 2002 voice. was great on new songs. smoking
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »

Probably because Japan is the second largest market in the world.

yes you have a point , and they probably think that in America a show from japan would sell more , if you sell the chicago show the people see it like the other 30 shows that they play in America , but "Guns N Roses in Japan" is something the fans want to see . they probably wrong but thats the reason i think 

Wow.... old school thread. smoking

Anyway... never chimed in on this one in 2004... but I agree that the fact that Japan is the world's #2 economy was probably a decisive factor. Every American teenager into rock music was guaranteed to pick this up. By choosing Tokyo... they likewise virtually guaranteed that every Japanese teen/early 20's would buy it as well. Smart move IMHO.

I think also the "set-up" at the Tokyo Dome with the crowd relatively far from the stage and the generally "calmer" demeanor of Japanese fans made it easier for the film crew to control conditions and get the great up close shots they wanted.

Anyway, not their best concert by any means... but a pretty good standard representation for the show they were putting on across the globe for 2.5 years... I still throw 'em in from time to time b/c I actually liked the Gilby/Matt GN'R era...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2008, 12:19:47 PM »

Yeh, the "calmer" fans meant that Slash could jump off stage and run infront of the crowd with 3 bodyguards in tow!

Gutsy of Axl to wear the Red Star cap during Civil War -

OMG! See! He was thinking of Chinese Democracy even then!  hihi

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 12:54:42 PM »

they should of released the chicago 1992 show. that is one of there best shows ever.

html sucks
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »

When did Axl start to sing so bad live anyway? In the early days he sang so fucking great live, perhaps even better than on the albums, but while touring for UYI he mostly just sang like crap (IMO) guess he was too busy trying to put on a show on their gigantic stage. Berhaps all his running `round took his breath away and he had no air to sing? Opinions?

My opinion is that he didn't "start to sing so bad", in the early 1992 his voice was fucked up at some points but 1991, later part of the 1992 (Europe and Metallica-tour) and 1993 are great examples of his great voice. Altough he had problems with his voice during the Metallica-tour, I think he handled it well and there some great proofs of it. In 1993 his voice was simply amazing, people don't seem to realise this and I think it's because the only pro-shot is the Argentina show and that's not IMO even close to the greatest performance from that era.

And what comes to the Tokyo show, I think the band does amazing job even though Axl's voice is kinda bad here and there. But yes, there were far better choices than the one they realeased..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:55:33 PM by kaasupoltin » Logged

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 03:00:34 PM »

There are some incredible moments on there and some weaker ones

I used to play these two videos and the Paris one quite a bit and compared the different setlists and same song performances

Estranged was pretty cool and so was PTU
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »

There are alot of shows that they could have released. I always thought that these shows were not that great (although they had some really cool moments).

I love videos that show songs from different places I don't know but it gives me that whole "World Tour"  feeling. I love to see the different crowds etc. in different locations. Just for example the Dead Horse video with all the different footage is much more interesting than LALD. Sorry to bring Skid Row into this thread but the 2 videos they released "Oh Say Can You Scream" and "Roadkill" are the best I have seen. Really cool shit.

Can you imagine i.e

Coma-Chicago
Perfect Crime-Indiana
Estranged-Munich
Patience-Bueno Aires
Double Talkin-Milton Keys
It's so Easy-Wembley
Jungle-MSG NYC
Locamotive-LA Forum
Paradise City-Rio De Janeiro

the list goes on and on

That would just kick fuckin' ass along with a little travel/backstage footage,  man. That would kick the Tokyo videos ass!

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
dimitrisaxl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »

My question...: why they release the tokyo show in two separate dvds?? It's one show!!  Huh
izzbo
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »

My question...: why they release the tokyo show in two separate dvds?? It's one show!!  Huh

IMHO b/c the UYI albums were released as 2 different disks (one yellow/red and one blue). To follow along w/this theme, they released 2 different live videos (one yellow/red and one blue). They probably made more money doing  it this way and had an excuse to do it to go along w/the 2 disk theme of the UYI albums.

-= IzZbo =-
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2008, 04:07:32 PM »

But the strange thing is that AXl called it the Get IN The Ring Tour (on stage).

"This is still the Get In The Ring Tour, so do you know where you AAAARRRRRRRRREEEE!!"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:10:06 PM by Rapunzel » Logged

RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2008, 05:12:42 PM »

What Nightrain. Didn't really notice it.

Everyone was alittle nervous at the beginning, even Axe. By Live and Let Die (3rd song) they all begin to relax.

Looks like they just flew in and went straight to the Dome. The crowd was huge.

Slash's "Godfather" solo is beautiful! + the amount of concentration he had to put into the 2 hour show! That man could hold his own.

Shame about Duff's album. Looks like they didn't get to do the Punk cover album either.

Who didn't get to release their punk covers album?

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2008, 05:14:13 PM »

G N' R

1992 -  Axl said they were looking to put out a punk cover album.

RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »

G N' R

1992 -  Axl said they were looking to put out a punk cover album.

Umm, they did. The Spaghetti Incident?! was released in November 1993. You should get it.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »

That's not punk.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: