Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 08:44:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why did they release the Tokyo show?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did they release the Tokyo show?  (Read 17513 times)
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2008, 05:37:01 PM »

That's not punk.

Sure it is.What else would you call The Misfits, The Damned and the majority of artists covered on TSI? I think the album is underrated. Now if you had told me that this would be the last album released by GNR for (at least) fifteen years, I might not have believed that at the time.The GNR versions might not sound completely "punk" but if I wanted to hear the originals I would just listen to those.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2008, 05:50:47 PM »

Guess I had higher expectations...

Underrated, perhaps, in the spirit of punk, maybe.

In any event you certainly did pull a pretty convincing "Sid" here tonight.  Tongue

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
GNFNR-UK
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2008, 08:37:09 PM »

Paris '92 is the best Pro shot GNR show from the UYI tour I think and also the one I watch the most. Chicago is a close second though (Estranged & Coma).

I'm not a huge fan of the Tokyo shows either in all honesty, Axl is not on top form like he was in Paris.

Previously GNFNRUK, long time poster at HTGTH who forgot his password and had 500+ posts, ooops!
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »

Not in top form?!

He does spend most of the two hours running back and forth across a sports stadium with out puffing...

Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2008, 12:30:58 AM »

Interesting question...I never asked myself that.

There's a lot of show who deserves to be released. Tokyo is a good show but is far away of the better ones.

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2008, 01:53:25 AM »

Tokio was planned to be released as a DVD... Axl acting is too obvious, Estranged is a very good example, he did perform for the camera.

That's good, but tokio didnt show the very explosive energy on guns n roses... indiana was way better... there's lots of good bootlegs, better shows than tokio, but maybe those bootlegs werent recorded with high definition...

Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2008, 02:12:35 AM »

Tokio was planned to be released as a DVD... Axl acting is too obvious, Estranged is a very good example, he did perform for the camera.

Yeh, but also when the crowd is that big you have to over exaggerate every move - so that the people in the back can see you. He was filmed close up that why it looks over performed. There is a difference between stage acting and film acting.

Question:

Did Axl sing that bit about "sail away sweet sister, sail across the sea....." and "I'm in love with a girl but I've picked a pretty bad time to be in love" at other concerts? Or was it just a Tokyo thing?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:36:54 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2008, 05:51:48 AM »

But the strange thing is that AXl called it the Get IN The Ring Tour (on stage).

"This is still the Get In The Ring Tour, so do you know where you AAAARRRRRRRRREEEE!!"

How's it strange? That was the leg of the tour.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2008, 06:24:02 AM »

It was a good show, was filmed very well-I was never into the backup singers and the horn section, the great camera work and in a huge stadium, a lot of people who had never seen Guns live might not get a true feeling from watching that show of the energy they have-the camera work is great, though, and So Fine and Estranged were  kind of the highlights for me-I could never see the current band doing Bad Obsession or Move to the City-I just always hated when you would hear Live and Let die and you would hear Stacy and Roberta come on, and hated having 14 people on stage at the end during Paradise City-I always hated Axl's costume changes also-I think his current look right now is the best yet, by the way-it was just a part of the bloated era for guns that makes me cringe-I think even they realized that when they switched to the Skin and Bones tour of 93

libertad
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2008, 07:13:29 AM »

stolat, fuck off
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2008, 08:04:38 AM »

it's my best performance life of theirs... and its somewhat mythical. And hey! there were no disturbances on that show... maybe that was the reason besides being a great fucking show?  ok

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2008, 09:52:33 AM »

But the strange thing is that AXl called it the Get IN The Ring Tour (on stage).

"This is still the Get In The Ring Tour, so do you know where you AAAARRRRRRRRREEEE!!"

How's it strange? That was the leg of the tour.

The DVDs are labelled Use Your Illusion World Tour - 1992 in Tokyo

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »

maybe the get in the tour was a part of use your illusion world tour? like a japan tour can be a part of a world tour....
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »

Or it could be because they were introducing some new material.

They did Estranged as part of the encore, and Axl had to introduce it. "This song is about waking up on a sunny? day and deciding to commit hari kari". Crowd cheers! "Oh, you're into that are you?" (or something along those lines).

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:40:19 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2008, 10:49:17 AM »

i think it's because it may have been the best of the ones they recorded. they can't record every show in the course of 2 and a half years... no where near in the realm of a reasonable budget.

i liked that performance. i saw 2 shows in that tour... and it was phenomenal. when i saw them... they were sloppy, all over the place and axl wasn't on point. but it was still a great show.

to me... i think Axl in 2006 is better than Axl in 1992-93 live... IMO.

But Tokyo is a great show.
Olorin
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2008, 11:01:47 AM »

I think the sound lets down the film experience, everything sounds too flat. It all seems a bit contrived as well, all rehearsed moves, posing and posturing.

I really like the second half of Rocket Queen though, thats seems to be a moment were everyone is completely lost in the music and are completely rocking out for themselves. I love seeing Axl screaming his lungs out even although he looks like he is in pain doing so.

Its such a bummer this is the only show they released.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »

i think it's because it may have been the best of the ones they recorded. they can't record every show in the course of 2 and a half years... no where near in the realm of a reasonable budget.

It was professionally filmed with multiple cameras in addition to those you see at normal shows.

I think it aired on Japanese TV? Or maybe it was just that they used a TV company's crew?

It mentions TDK and Japanese Satellite Broadcasting in the credits....

Add to the fact that it was a huge gig in a legendary venue.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »

Yeh, but also when the crowd is that big you have to over exaggerate every move - so that the people in the back can see you. He was filmed close up that why it looks over performed. There is a difference between stage acting and film acting.

Question:

Did Axl sing that bit about "sail away sweet sister, sail across the sea....." and "I'm in love with a girl but I've picked a pretty bad time to be in love" at other concerts? Or was it just a Tokyo thing?

yes sail away sweet sister was the intro to SCOM at many other shows besides Tokyo. haven't you seen paris 92?
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »

It was professionally filmed with multiple cameras in addition to those you see at normal shows.

/jarmo

Those extra cameras are great, it's almost as if the viewer is sitting right there on stage with the band. It's extremely intimate viewing!

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »

I think it aired on Japanese TV? Or maybe it was just that they used a TV company's crew?

It mentions TDK and Japanese Satellite Broadcasting in the credits....

Add to the fact that it was a huge gig in a legendary venue.

/jarmo

Good call Jarmo. From what I understand (though I think others on here can confirm)- the Tokyo Dome is the "Yankee Stadium" (all be it nowhere near as old) of Japan. At least that's what my friend told me when I visited him in Japan... of course he is a Yomiuri Giants fan though... smoking

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: