Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why Chinese Democracy is going to be so huge
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Chinese Democracy is going to be so huge  (Read 7856 times)
Amanda
Headliner

It Girl

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 06:12:28 AM »

Yeah

Sippin' a drink and feeling fine.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 06:23:54 AM »

I admit they're no GNR but they are a hell of a lot closer to a GNR sound than most of the shit out there today? ?

What?? Huh Have I missed something...

Don't get me wrong I'm not comparing them to GNR in any way, I was just trying to highlight that music by a band with a drummer, a bass and a lead guitar can still make no.1. And their music is closer to a GNR sound than say Notorious B.I.G. lol.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 06:36:29 AM »

I read in a magazine ages ago "Notorious B.I.G and Tupac have released more albums then Axl Rose since they've been dead"

hihi See, nothing like GNR  hihi

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 06:50:11 AM »

I read in a magazine ages ago "Notorious B.I.G and Tupac have released more albums then Axl Rose since they've been dead"

tup has released more albums and done more movie dead then axl has done alive rofl
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 09:55:43 AM »

wow, I've been hearing how huge chinese democracy is gonna be for the last 4 years and to this day, it's still sold zero copies.....so until a release date is stated, there is nothing to get excited about because I've been thru this buzz and chatter before without having the damn disc
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2006, 10:11:11 AM »

wow, I've been hearing how huge chinese democracy is gonna be for the last 4 years and to this day, it's still sold zero copies.....so until a release date is stated, there is nothing to get excited about because I've been thru this buzz and chatter before without having the damn disc
You hadn't the demos, so now you have an idea in how good the sound will be. So, stop the whine.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2006, 10:12:54 AM »

You hadn't the demos, so now you have an idea in how good the sound will be. So, stop the whine.

based on the demos and live performances, I'm really looking forward to VRs 2nd album

i'm hoping CD is better than some of the songs I've heard, because if not, I will be dissapointed, especially after having looked forward to the next GnR album for 15 years
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:15:08 AM by classicgunsfan » Logged
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2006, 10:23:55 AM »

based on the demos and live performances, I'm really looking forward to VRs 2nd album

i'm hoping CD is better than some of the songs I've heard, because if not, I will be dissapointed, especially after having looked forward to the next GnR album for 15 years

*runs for the hills* you are in for it now nervous
Millions
Headliner

It burns when I pee...

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2006, 10:31:50 AM »

All this discussion about popularity, etc. But its really quite simple. Will CD be big? Well, I think its fair to assume at least as big as Velvet Revolver. Add in a successful single, and the GNR name and Bobs your uncle.

But the thing is, will everyone be satisfied with a record as big as velvet Revolver after all this time and money?

I'm thinking the record company. I'm thinking about fans....?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2006, 10:35:11 AM »

All this discussion about popularity, etc. But its really quite simple. Will CD be big? Well, I think its fair to assume at least as big as Velvet Revolver. Add in a successful single, and the GNR name and Bobs your uncle.

But the thing is, will everyone be satisfied with a record as big as velvet Revolver after all this time and money?

I only care about sales because it'll give old axl some confidence which in turn can give us more music and give the promoters some insurance to run new gun's tours..

No doubt that cd should go double platinum.. I think a album called gnr maybe something said like first new album in 15 years or since 1991 will  be a good way to plug it..... The idea is will the public buy into it or not??  I know it'll sell like crazy outside the usa
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 10:43:20 AM »

no matter how good the cd is, the fact that it took so long to make will weigh in heavily on people's minds, especially the fukkin' critics. ?

There's also the possibility that the cd will do good the first couple of weeks, then bomb after all the die hards have bought it. ?This cd is not going to change the face of music, anyone who thinks it will is gonna end up disappointed i think. i like the songs i've heard so far- with the exception of Silkworms, but i really don't think it'll have the same impact as Appetite did. If Axl is still hell bent on "burying appetite", i'm sorry to say, but that's something he'll never accomplish. I hope he has gotten over that.

it's kinda funny that everyone talks about how huge it's going to be like it's just a fact. I really hope it does get HUGE, but i won't hold my breath. ?i agree that it'll do atleast as good as VR's cd did, but i don't see it selling 10 million copies like previous GnR cd's have.

i bet they won't even start booking US dates til the cd has atleast gone platinum(sp?).
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 10:43:42 AM »

I only care about sales because it'll give old axl some confidence which in turn can give us more music and give the promoters some insurance to run new gun's tours..

No doubt that cd should go double platinum.. I think a album called gnr maybe something said like first new album in 15 years or since 1991 will? be a good way to plug it..... The idea is will the public buy into it or not??? I know it'll sell like crazy outside the usa

After 2002, the GnR name isn't what it once was, simple as that

plus after 15 years, double platinum in the US is about the best they can hope for
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 11:40:59 AM »

No doubt that cd should go double platinum.. I think a album called gnr maybe something said like first new album in 15 years or since 1991 will? be a good way to plug it..... The idea is will the public buy into it or not??? I know it'll sell like crazy outside the usa

plus after 15 years, double platinum in the US is about the best they can hope for

I am only going by the retro vibe with classic rock bands or names... Plus Gh's has done pretty damn good for something that only had a few commercials in the early going of it's release..

being axl is older, it might be harder for him to get across to the younger generation.. When I was a kid I wasn't thinking men in their mid 40's were cool.. Sometimes image is more important that the sound if you are talking about commercial praise...

Secondly every band that was big has their loyal fans that think everything new is great and that they will regain that status they once had in their prime..  I always think of how great aerosmith did the second time around. but they kind of fit into the hairband era when they returned with rundmc then permanet vacation, pump.. Will the kids care about axl ,an older man in jerseys and with dreads? Who knows
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 11:44:48 AM »

yeah, but Aerosmith had the same band, same image, and same type/sound of music as they did in the 70's

plus, they had good looking guys that all the chicks dug at least Steve and Joe

all's Axl has is the name GnR and his name (unless you consider alot of baggage a good thing)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 11:48:37 AM »

yeah, but Aerosmith had the same band, same image, and same type/sound of music as they did in the 70's

plus, they had good looking guys that all the chicks dug at least Steve and Joe

all's Axl has is the name GnR and his name (unless you consider alot of baggage a good thing)

yes I know that about aerosmtih, I was just using them as an example of some type of second time around that was a big hit.... On one hand axl has a different band for his project, on the other he has the name to help sell albums..
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »

I think what the album really needs is two real strong, catchy singles. In short, CD needs its SCOM to take off.

I don't think they will have another #1 single. The band is far too out of the time of importance for this music and it won't happen. They could land a top 20 single I would say... but not no SCOM.

Gn'R can't get a #1 single right now. No matter what. It just won't get up there with the pop and rap hip hop be bop wooo wop BS that is out there.

I think GNR could get to no. 1 again, I think a catchy rocker could make no. 1 quite easily. The rock scene here in the UK is certainly looking better than it did a couple of years ago. The big band in the UK at the moment are The Arctic Monkeys, there first 2 singles have gone to no.1 there album has been no.1 for about 5 weeks now as well. I admit they're no GNR but they are a hell of a lot closer to a GNR sound than most of the shit out there today. If rock begins to enter the mainstream again and is accepted and is reaching no.1 in the charts again then I see no reason why a well hyped return from such a legendary band as GNR, with a catchy rock song as a first single could not make no.1 in the charts.? ?

i think it's going to happen....gnr will be at the top again and will usher in a new era of rock....this shit is going to be huge!

i think that this album is going to get more attention, press, radio play, etc. than any album since the illusions.  the anticipation from people in the press, the music industry and radio is so huge that chinese democracy will be everywhere...much like when UYI came out and november rain was THE song of the year...i remember when i was in like 6th grade, the teacher asked everyone to name their favorite song at the time, and EVERY kid said november rain...their popularity was huge...it was a phenomenon that rarely occurs
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:14:58 PM by blues rocker » Logged
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 01:03:40 PM »

I'll be huge.  At least 2-3 million sales in the US and 8 million worldwide.  The GnR name carries a lot of weight, and if Contraband can sell 2 million, CD should sell at least 3
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 01:12:03 PM »

I am only going by the retro vibe with classic rock bands or names... Plus Gh's has done pretty damn good for something that only had a few commercials in the early going of it's release..

being axl is older, it might be harder for him to get across to the younger generation.. When I was a kid I wasn't thinking men in their mid 40's were cool.. Sometimes image is more important that the sound if you are talking about commercial praise...

Secondly every band that was big has their loyal fans that think everything new is great and that they will regain that status they once had in their prime..? I always think of how great aerosmith did the second time around. but they kind of fit into the hairband era when they returned with rundmc then permanet vacation, pump.. Will the kids care about axl ,an older man in jerseys and with dreads? Who knows

Its funny b/c excess image is what killed the rock scene in the 80s/early 90s and led to grunge...but now image is EVERYTHING in music.  While I could care less about what Axl looks like, your average person is going to think the dreads and jerseys (if hes still gonna do that) is a desperate attempt for a middle aged man to reclaim his youth - regardless of who it is. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 01:14:17 PM »

at one point GnR was the most dangerous band on the planet

watching footage of their 2002 tour it looked like the circus came to town
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 01:17:38 PM »

^^^Its funny when people say stuff like that...while not as dramatic looking as the 2002 lineup, when AFD GNR came out they were VERY different looking then most bands at the time.  Slash didn't even look human compared to other lead guitarists and NOBODY moved like Axl.  Izzy was a wierd looking dude too.

But yeah, I know a lot of people who took one look at the band and weren't interested in hearing the music based on that (which is a tad closed minded, but somewhat understandable).

While BH is an amazing guitarist, I don't know if I ever bought into his gimmick - I think it took away from his playing and got more people talking about his bucket and hand puppet then how ridiculously amazing he is with the guitar.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: