Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 06:08:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why do you love Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do you love Chinese Democracy?  (Read 15693 times)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »

Why would they feel it was necessary to play some role?

Because I think some people are vehemently opposed to conceding "Axl's vision" post 2000 does not stand up to the past.  They'd rather clew glass.

You don't think some see things that way?

If some people truly feel that way, what is the issue? It is all subjective anyway.

I think it was easily the best album of 2008, and my favorite GNR album changes regularly.

The guys who say "its the best rock record in the past 10 years", yes, I roll my eyes.  But, totally subjective, as you say.  And can't be proven or disproven.  Fair enough.

But best of their albums?  Over 'Appetite', one of the most celebrated rock albums of our lifetimes?

But best line-up?  Not that line-up that made us all lifelong fans 25 years ago?

Again, I tend to see people that say things like that feel they are being bad fans in some way to say what is going on right now is anything but stupendous.

Honestly do not think some are posing as some supposed superfan and giving out pumped up opinions.

I view CD as easily the best release of 2008, I enjoy it very much and it is in rotation as one of my favorite albums, I also think it's underrated, and brilliant.

Hiatuses are seldom stupendous, as far as what is going on now.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »

I view CD as easily the best release of 2008, I enjoy it very much and it is in rotation as one of my favorite albums, I also think it's underrated, and brilliant.

I heard you say the other day that listened through high quality headphones and/or a solid sound system makes a difference.

I know that sounds clich?.  And, like the sort of thing I might otherwise mock.

But I could not agree more.  There is a lot going on with those tracks, and most of it sounds really cool when you can really hear it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »

But best of their albums?  Over 'Appetite', one of the most celebrated rock albums of our lifetimes?

It's down to personal preferences.

If those two albums were similar sounding, then I could see some of your point. But they're not really identical in sound.
So it's not weird that some people might prefer something to the other.

Some people also might not have a almost 30 year attachment to an album.

As we all know, tastes differ. Hell, some even listen to Bon Jovi and I can't understand why....  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »

Jarmo -

Do you think any of this is out of line :

3 things most commonly said by me :

- It's good, not great
- It doesn't sound much like Guns N' Roses, but there are still some solid songs on there
- It was not worth the absurd delay, but to be fair, nothing possibly could be

Because, full disclosure, I don't see you being OK with even one of those answers.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »

Why would I care what you think of the album?

Your opinion on GN'R is pretty obvious to us, so it'd be kinda stupid to view you as some kind of objectivity barometer.

All of that just proves it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2015, 03:59:58 PM »

Your opinion on GN'R is pretty obvious to us, so it'd be kinda stupid to view you as some kind of objectivity barometer.

No, not me.  Take me out of the equation, difficult as that can be for you a lot of the time.

If you heard those three responses, given by anyone, would you not feel the need to "correct" them in some way?

What started all this was my conversation with Emily about people getting their backs up over certain comments, even ones that aren't really all that derogatory.

Can't think of a handier, dandier example than you, guy.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2015, 04:33:07 PM »

No, not me.  Take me out of the equation, difficult as that can be for you a lot of the time.

If you heard those three responses, given by anyone, would you not feel the need to "correct" them in some way?

What started all this was my conversation with Emily about people getting their backs up over certain comments, even ones that aren't really all that derogatory.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them. That doesn't mean their opinion is right. If people love the album and think it's the greatest thing ever, who the fuck are you to say anything to the contrary?  Roll Eyes
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »

In Special By Work, Talent & Dedication Of Robin Finck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLRjVLDU9E

peace

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them. That doesn't mean their opinion is right. If people love the album and think it's the greatest thing ever, who the fuck are you to say anything to the contrary?  Roll Eyes

Alright, then let's throw it to you.  It's a group discussion.

Any of this out of bounds, as you see it :

- It's good, not great
- It doesn't sound much like Guns N' Roses, but there are still some solid songs on there

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »

- It's good, not great

You stating your opinions above does in no way magically transubstantiate them into fact, so why exactly would your opinions matter or affect anyone else's opinions unless you state them as if they were fact?

I think BonJovi is unlistenable, but I hear some people enjoy that sort of thing.   nervous

It is subjective.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2015, 06:26:12 PM »

- It's good, not great

The answer to the question is in bold above, you just need to learn how to read.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2015, 06:27:47 PM »

You stating your opinions above does in no way magically transubstantiate them into fact, so why exactly would your opinions matter or affect anyone else's opinions unless you state them as if they were fact?

I'm not stating them as facts.  Where are they stated as facts?

I'm saying these were opinions I have given, and I am curious what opinion you guys have on those statements.

Not having a lot of luck, however.  Should I get the pliers?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2015, 06:29:10 PM »

- It's good, not great

The answer to the question is in bold above, you just need to learn how to read.

Ah, obviously super interested in a discussion.

So thanks, for that.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2015, 06:32:37 PM »

- It's good, not great

Ah, obviously super interested in a discussion.

So thanks, for that.

What else needs to be said? Anyone can have an opinion one way or the other. You love the album? Right on that's cool. You hate it? Right on that's cool.

Do I personally agree with people who hate it? Fuck no, as I've said before I think it's a great fucking album.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2015, 06:38:06 PM »

Do I personally agree with people who hate it? Fuck no, as I've said before I think it's a great fucking album.

I would probably put one song in their alltime top 10 (TWAT), and maybe 2 others in #11-20.

What's your breakdown?  More, less??

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2015, 06:40:54 PM »

I would probably put one song in their alltime top 10 (TWAT), and maybe 2 others in #11-20.

What's your breakdown?  More, less??

Obviously more. Better is up there as well as CD and Catcher.

I dont usually rank Guns songs tho. I love every single song they have ever done including My World.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »

There's plenty of people in the world who don't like the music I like. What do I care?

I don't need to invite them here to tell me day after day how they don't like the band's music, that this site is about, though.

In your world, you seem to make assumptions about me and then when reality comes knocking, you can't accept it. So yeah, you're wrong.
I'm not gonna "correct" your biased opinion. I'm just gonna point out you being wrong.

As a bonus, I'll tell you why your opinion matters less to me than somebody else's. Because I know your bias already. You can't be taken seriously.

/jarmo

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2015, 08:34:59 PM »

I don't think "Appetite" is half as good as the "Illusions" set.

The reason I love "Chinese" is because like the "Illusions" it was a progression of their sound.  I hate when bands repeat themselves.  All of my favorite bands take big risks musically, that is what being an artist is all about.  There is nothing worse than a band like AC/DC, where when you hear a song of theirs, not only do you not know what year it is from, you can't even tell the decade.  A band like Slayer has put out 10 versions of "Reign In Blood" with different titles.  It is my main complaint about Slash, his stuff is repetitive.  Not bad, but repetitive.  The one time he took a big artistic risk was in 2010 with his first solo album, which happens to be his  best post GNR work.  Look at Metallica.  People bitch about "Load" and "Re-load" and absolutely destroy "St. Anger."  I thought "St. Anger" was a bad record, but I'm glad I have it.  I would rather have that than a weaker clone of one of their earlier albums.  I even listen to it from time to time.

For me the highlights of "CD" or  at least the songs I listen to most are "Chinese", "Shacklers", "Better", "Street of Dreams", "Riad" "This I Love" and "Prostitute."  The rest of the album I listen to pretty regularly with the exception of  "Scraped", "If The World" and "TWAT". 

I know everyone loves "TWAT", I definitely don't dislike it I just don't find myself listening to it as much as everyone else does.

I also love "Oh My God."
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2015, 06:04:22 AM »

Good points. I agree.

It's like a chef making the same exact dish for you year after year. Yes, it's nice and you don't go away hungry, but wouldn't you rather have him/her occasionally try to put a new twist to that dish you like so much?

/jarmo

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »

Good points. I agree.

It's like a chef making the same exact dish for you year after year. Yes, it's nice and you don't go away hungry, but wouldn't you rather have him/her occasionally try to put a new twist to that dish you like so much?

/jarmo

I know I have said this one hundred times, but how do you call it an evolution or compare records when the entire band changed? I still don't get it...never will. Axl's evolution .... yeah that took place...it was his vision.

As for the topic at hand... I love about 60 percent of Chinese. Shackler's, Rhiad and Chinese Democracy just don't do it for me at all... same with Oh My God if that had been on the record. I think that goes for all records whether it ur favorite band or not, you simply wont love every song. (AFD being an exception...it's perfect from end to end.)

I LOVE... Better, Prostitute, TWAT and Catcher. Those songs are all time greats... and if they had been recorded Slash, Duff and Izzy... they would be looked at as all time great GNR songs everywhere.

as to specifically WHY I love them... well it's Axl Fucking Rose singing those songs....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:53:09 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: