Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:37:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227924 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why so silent GNR?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why so silent GNR?  (Read 16764 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »

I think there's a third group - those that want a band moving forwards. I've never been interested in nostalgia for the sake of it, and would love a move towards new material, and new ideas.

But would this be fair to say? 

Would you not really start feeling that way until they did a second tour?

Here is what I mean.  Could you table that for at least a year or so and let this tour run its course?  And then only really be disappointed if they cranked it back up again in 2018, only without any new material?

I just think this is such a miracle, we should just be happy with whatever we get, at least the first time around.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:42 AM »

Axl has said he was forced into the 1991 UYI tour, and that he was pressured into doing the 2002 tour even though both times he felt he wasn't ready or didn't want to do it. It wouldn't be the first time Axl did something his heart wasn't truly in.

And his worst ever on stage behavior is that summer of 1991.

I don't even just mean St. Louis.  Check the bootlegs.  Not only very rarely in a good mood, but vey often in a flat out antagonistic and standoffish mood from the first song onwards.

I always figured that was due to the face he was there against his will, somewhat.

And consider 2002. No-show the very first night of the tour, making bizarre statements about how it was a 'reunion tour' because he had reunited the pieces of his mind. Philly.

Touring in general must be a drag when you think about it. You're booked on someone else's schedule, playing the same general songs night after night. Your first tour, where you see the world for the first time and have groupies offering you their bodies and dealers offering you everything - that must be really fun. But say you're GN'R in 1993. You're not touring for the love of touring. You're touring to push a product - yourself. How many times can you play Jungle night after night without starting to hate the song? How long can you fake being excited to see faceless crowd #10,000. I imagine touring is what helps bands hate each other's guts. I mean, imagine if your family went on a tour year road trip. Even if it wasn't their fault, you'd start to even resent them a little by the end of it. This doesn't just go for GNR but bands in general. Touring makes being a musician a job rather than a passion. The passion and real art comes out on the records. The only guys who seem to love touring are those with addictive personalities like Slash and Duff, who need to be active or else they might relapse, or guys who really love money, like Mick Jagger, or guys who are intoxicated by the love from the crowd. All doesn't really fall into any of those categories.

After a while, the same old songs get old. The groupies aren't as exciting. They're boring. You've already had every single kind of wild, hedonistic sexual experience you can have. You've tried every drug. You've been to almost every country. You've worn your uniform daily for two years. I firmly believe that Axl's poor vocal performances and his forgetting of lyrics were because the 2011-onward tours were a result of the Azoff lawsuit. The suit was settled in June 2011, and not long after GN'R announced the dates in South Anerica. Look at the energy, the passion in the 2009-2010 performances, the vocal power. Compare it to just a year later. I think Axl's burned out by it all and figures why not reunite, get the big payday, Beta and her family and Axl will be set for life. He can retire with a better legacy and a bigger wallet.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:02:58 AM by CherryGarcia » Logged
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »

I think that's maybe a very accurate summary of what a lot of us suspect has happened. It would seem to make a lot of sense- and I think more and more as the days go by that your opinions above could be accurate.

I can't see any excitement about this from the band at all, on any level. We're all hoping it turns out well of course.
yes, that is also my point of view. of course we can still be positively surprised - hopefully! peace

It?s all perfectly plausible, but, IMO, Axl doesn?t exactly strike me as the kind of person who will be forced into doing something.  I think if his heart wasn?t really into a reunion, he wouldn?t do it.  Like the Rock n Roll HOF induction. 

I also don?t think that his decision to want to do a reunion was based on Bumble, DJ and Tommy leaving.  I actually think it was the other way around.  I think these guys caught wind that Axl was leaning towards reunion, and that?s why they decided to leave.  When/if the story ever comes out as to how it all started, I wouldn?t be surprised if Axl and Slash started talking (or at lease communicating through their people) years ago. 

Couldn't agree more... yes it would have been difficult to build a completely new lineup...AGAIN. But he 100 percent wouldn't do this unless he wanted to.

Axl has said he was forced into the 1991 UYI tour, and that he was pressured into doing the 2002 tour even though both times he felt he wasn't ready or didn't want to do it. It wouldn't be the first time Axl did something his heart wasn't truly in.

So, you think Axl has let circumstance pressurise him into reforming GN'R? That doesn't really make sense. The easiest thing to do would be to walk away
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2016, 10:00:38 AM »

I think there's a third group - those that want a band moving forwards. I've never been interested in nostalgia for the sake of it, and would love a move towards new material, and new ideas.

But would this be fair to say? 

Would you not really start feeling that way until they did a second tour?

Here is what I mean.  Could you table that for at least a year or so and let this tour run its course?  And then only really be disappointed if they cranked it back up again in 2018, only without any new material?

I just think this is such a miracle, we should just be happy with whatever we get, at least the first time around.

Yeah, that is probably right actually. If it was a few shows, then a regrouping to start bits of recording, moving forwards- I agree totally.

It is sort of similar to The Stone Roses- they fell out massively, said it would never ever happen. It did, it was nostalgia really, but it carried through because the band were visibly so happy to be playing again. They were out there from the start with a press conference, saying what they were doing- a tour, then possibly some new material, see how it goes. I think their fans loved the shows, and have real hopes of new material coming soon.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »

A whole lotta speculation following:

I don't think Axl is excited about it at all, to be honest. I think a few factors came into play toward making this thing happen, and tell me if you agree with my assessment:

I believe the label rejected CD II and he was told something along the lines of in essence that no record would be accepted unless Slash and Duff were on it. Hence Richard's talk of some new songs having "seeds from Slash" before this regrouping happened.

I think the Azoff lawsuit settlement forced the touring we saw in 2011-2014 and by the end of it Axl was exhausted. Combine this with Duff coming back into the picture - they probably had many talks about past stuff which might have cleared a lot of misunderstandings, which led to Axl's feelings softening on Slash very slightly - perhaps from utter hatred to a level of tolerance.

Then, Bumblefoot gave notice in South America. Fine - Axl probably spent the better part of the year trying to get him back. It's been reported by many insiders that DJ Ashba's departure was totally unexpected by Axl. With Tommy not being able to tour due to personal commitments, and prioritizing the Replacements over GN'R, and then Ashba's sudden departure, I think Axl sort of broke. Caved. "Fuck it", he thought, "I might as well call Slash and Duff at this point." Not due to a lack of options or available replacements, but probably due to exhaustion.

How many times was he going to rebuild Guns with a brand new cast of players and go through that exhausting whole process all over again? Bumblefoot's departure was probably foreseen, but Ashba and Tommy bowing out left him with only a partial rhythm section and keyboardists. I don't think Axl, at his age, at this juncture, wanted to rebuild the core of the band all over again; he's not the 36 year old he was in 1998 who had the youth and energy for that, and at this point, his anger towards Slash had dissipated enough to make the idea of being on stage with him tolerable. And on top of that, that sense of exhaustion came a sense of peacefulness; he's getting older and might have genuinely wanted to mend fences with certain people before it was too late.

But, I think Axl probably feels forced into this. Not by managers or Slash or anything else, but by circumstance. I don't think regrouping with Slash and Duff is what he really wants; I think if he had had his way, BBF and Ashba would still be in the band (or more especially, Bucket and Finck) and he'd have released CD II.

I don't think he's excited at all by this, or even invigorated by the money. I think the Axl we're going to see is a guy whose attitude is probably "Fuck it, why not?" more than anything else. Axl said the last 5 years or so were the worst of his life...I think all the fire that was in him is extinguished. Hence the lack of press, hence the lack of any real YEAH WE'RE BACK excitement or media frenzy.

I think on Slash's end, this is a side job; an opportunity to make a ton of dough - but he's not rejoined the band in any real or emotional sense. I don't think he considers himself "the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses" again - I think for him this is a job, a way to rejuvenate his bank account after the divorce, and really a fragile side project that could go belly up at any minute. I don't think he's into it mentally, it probably is to him what GN'R was to all the nu gunners - just a job. Duff is probably doing this because he's a nice guy, to help out Axl, and he's probably a bit excited about the idea of his two friends actually getting along. I think the idea of what the reunion could turn into excited him.

But, compare this regrouping to other major regroupings - Mick & Keith in 1989, Steven Tyler & Joe Perry in 1985 - both were huge media events. Even though Mick & Keith got back together purely for the money, they were excited by the prospect of conquering the stadium market. There was a media blitz for it. GN'R's regrouping is just being treated - by the band - as another day at the office; another turnover of members who just happen to be old members rejoining. There's no jubiliation or even emotional catharsis.

This could all change once Axl and Slash are on the same stage in front of a full house for the first time since 1993 - that is going to be, I think, both a very weird, surreal and very emotional moment for the both of them and could cement this regrouping as being a real thing, really bring back a genuine bond, just that euphoria of conquering a filled Arena again together, basking in the cheers of the crowds - or, it could go belly up that very night depending on how it all feels to Axl. But, I don't think anyone in the band is particularly excited for this. It's kind of the way Pink Floyd's reunion was, internally; "This is a short term thing, collect our checks, then go our separate ways; blah"

I think that's maybe a very accurate summary of what a lot of us suspect has happened. It would seem to make a lot of sense- and I think more and more as the days go by that your opinions above could be accurate.

I can't see any excitement about this from the band at all, on any level. We're all hoping it turns out well of course.

yes, very good post. You summarized perfectly what I would've liked to say. Especially the Axl being exhausted part. The man never really had his way. Eventually got tired of swimming against the current. The stress seemed to have got to him physically even.
Let's hope he can relax, possibly even let go of the reins when it comes to everything, let other people take care of business, and not spend a million hours recording, just sing for fun ,not for perfection.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2016, 10:05:32 AM »

yes, that is also my point of view. of course we can still be positively surprised - hopefully! peace

It?s all perfectly plausible, but, IMO, Axl doesn?t exactly strike me as the kind of person who will be forced into doing something.  I think if his heart wasn?t really into a reunion, he wouldn?t do it.  Like the Rock n Roll HOF induction. 

I also don?t think that his decision to want to do a reunion was based on Bumble, DJ and Tommy leaving.  I actually think it was the other way around.  I think these guys caught wind that Axl was leaning towards reunion, and that?s why they decided to leave.  When/if the story ever comes out as to how it all started, I wouldn?t be surprised if Axl and Slash started talking (or at lease communicating through their people) years ago. 

Couldn't agree more... yes it would have been difficult to build a completely new lineup...AGAIN. But he 100 percent wouldn't do this unless he wanted to.

So, you think Axl has let circumstance pressurise him into reforming GN'R? That doesn't really make sense. The easiest thing to do would be to walk away

Unless he:

-is either hurting for cash. Given his lifestyle, the Azoff lawsuit, it is possible.
-really wants to get CDII out there somehow. If the label said in 2010 that they weren't going to accept any album without Slash and/or Duff on it...leaves him with little choice.
-wants to continue GNR in some way for a while and retire with grace
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »

This Semi-Reunion Is Only:

- Label
- Bussines
- Full $$$$$

Wink

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2016, 10:07:23 AM »

I think by circumstance, he means destiny. Not someone or something putting pressure on him right now. Here we are in 2016, do you really think that is how 2001 Axl wanted things to happen the way they did ? I don't.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »

- Label
- Bussines
- Full $$$$$

Wink

Money ? maybe, Label ? I don't think so.

Don't become a hater now  Wink

Slashrose
Rocker

Twitter - @sonicmonstersk8

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2016, 10:18:39 AM »

They could hold a press conference about the shows , possible tour, new album . blah blah blah, But it came to GNR is almost impossible to expect it  Lips Sealed
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:43 AM »

They could hold a press conference about the shows , possible tour, new album . blah blah blah, But it came to GNR is almost impossible to expect it  Lips Sealed

I don't see them all sitting at a dais and taking questions.  Even if they did, it would only be Slash and Duff.

But, since that would look awkward as hell, its why I think it won't happen.  Axl will never do it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Slashrose
Rocker

Twitter - @sonicmonstersk8

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »

I don't see them all sitting at a dais and taking questions.  Even if they did, it would only be Slash and Duff.

But, since that would look awkward as hell, its why I think it won't happen.  Axl will never do it.

Yeah

I see some examples of some classic bands that make a DVD or CD and shows, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and other bands do it.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »

Thing is, a press conference would be a bad idea. You'd have journalists (who love drama) asking awkward questions and trying to pry, which could potentially open up old wounds and derail things.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »

Whole lotta negative spin in this thread.  I'm not buying a whole lot of it.  Yeah, Axl was between a rock and a hard place when DJ & Tommy split...So he did the right thing and called up Slash & Duff.  Great decision for the band and definitely the fans, I would think. Jesus, what would you guys be saying if he brought back Robin & Bucket? What would the negative spin be there?

The truth is that we have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what Slash & Axl's current relationship is, or what really led to the reconciliation that ultimately led to the impending reunion.  We have no idea how things are going in Axl's rehearsal space that Slash tweeted the pic of his Les Paul from.  I know we've been through some hard times as fans, but c'mon, buck up already.  

This picture of a desperate and broken Axl some are painting saying "fuck it all, bring back Slash & Duff" is an utterly simplistic outlook to have, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense going by, well, everything he's said and done over the past 20 years.
Princess Leia
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »

I don?t think Axl just woke up one day and he said "Hey I feel like doing a reunion now" Tommy said in his last interview that in his opinion Axl found himself with 3 members gone. Sure Axl could walk away. But maybe he just doesn?t want to do yet.

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »

I think by circumstance, he means destiny. Not someone or something putting pressure on him right now. Here we are in 2016, do you really think that is how 2001 Axl wanted things to happen the way they did ? I don't.

I think destiny/circumstance has determined the timing of the reunion, I can see that. But I think human nature has determined why it has happened.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »

I think destiny/circumstance has determined the timing of the reunion, I can see that. But I think human nature has determined why it has happened.

What these three guys did together was dig a niche in rock n' roll the size of the grand canyon.  Deep inside they all knew they brought out the best in each other...Which is probably one of that factors that fueled their feud for so long. The fact that they're not denying in anymore is such a great thing.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2016, 11:07:01 AM »

Whole lotta negative spin in this thread.  I'm not buying a whole lot of it.  

Does it surprise you at all?

The so called happy times are now focusing on how things could be wrong. All hypothetically speaking.
I guess the happiness of the regrouping got old already?  hihi

Personally, I think it's pretty exciting times. I refuse to buy all the negative coming from certain corners of the so called fan base. More of the usual.
I never was one of those people hoping there weren't any shows because in my mind it automatically meant something else would replace that activity. I'm more about enjoying the moment.

Which is why I don't also don't go for the "Oh, they'll never....." routines. Axl said he never wants to release a new album? I must've missed that tweet!

How many times can a person be wrong about GN'R before they stop thinking they know what's going on or what's gonna happen?  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »

Thing is, a press conference would be a bad idea. You'd have journalists (who love drama) asking awkward questions and trying to pry, which could potentially open up old wounds and derail things.

That would be my concern.

Some dude reading Axl's past quotes about Slash right back to him, and asking him to speak on them.  With Slash sitting right next to him.

Awkward as hell.  I see no upside there.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2016, 11:24:44 AM »

- Label
- Bussines
- Full $$$$$

Wink

Money ? maybe, Label ? I don't think so.

Don't become a hater now  Wink

AJajJAjajA,,, Not, Only Opinion, I LIKE This Line Up

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: