Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:04:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227867 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why do you love that band?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do you love that band?  (Read 6270 times)
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: April 07, 2016, 03:00:40 PM »

I am just curious..
Why do you love that ONE band so much?
I have met all kinds of people - most tell me something along the lines...here I feel free..
We have grown up I suppose...
We are functional. But we still love that image of "young, reckless, ready to take the world!
We love that band - cause it fills an emotional hole??

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »

I am just curious..
I have met all kinds of people - most tell me something along the lines...here I feel free..
We are functional. But we still love that image of "young, reckless, ready to take the world!

What?

Are you asking why we are GNR fans? Not really understanding this at all.

Huh

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 03:14:18 PM »

Why do you love THAT band? 😉

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 03:16:37 PM »

I am just curious..

Well, that's quite simple: their music. Next to that: I think Axl is cool as fuck for doing everything the way HE wants it, and writing some of the best music I have ever heard. Personality wise, I recognize myself in Axl in some ways and the way he sings on Appetite actually helps me release some emotions in a way that other people don't get punched in the face  hihi

Slash's style of playing is -to me- something different and strikes a chord with me. It's like hearing someone sing on a guitar. Duff is a bad ass bassist and a very respectable and humble person. And he writes killer tunes too! I never cared for the drummer(s) or rhythm guitarist (sorry Izzy, Steven, Matt, Gilby, Frank and Richard). I really dig Izzy's tunes for GnR though.

So for me it's a combination of their music and personalities, and the fact that my first vinyl single was Paradise City when I was 7, my first cassette tape was GNR Lies at age 8 (what were my parents thinking with that naked chick in the middle of the booklet?) and my first CD was Appetite when I was 9. Thanks Mom & Dad  peace

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »

That's what I was getting at: people LOVE a band...
They put their heart and soul into it.
I have seen and heard that SO many times 👍
WHY GnR?
Why do you love them so much??

lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »

Abrasive?
You get me totally wrong 😘

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »

I like them for their music.  

Never really able to relate to people that treat the band as some religious experience.  They make rock music I like.  They aren't splitting the atom or getting me through tough times in life.

Honestly, as people, they aren't exactly inspirations.  Drinking, drug addiction, immature behavior.  If anything, I like the music so much I can rationalize and overlook their personal shortcomings.  

Because its the music that matters to me, first and foremost.  The put out songs I like to listen to.  Songs I like more than any other band who's music I like. 

End of story.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »

You work all year.
You go to a festival.
You feel SO free - for that precious amount of 2-3 days...

lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »

I like them for their music.  

Never really able to relate to people that treat the band as some religious experience.  They make rock music I like.  They aren't splitting the atom or getting me through tough times in life.

Honestly, as people, they aren't exactly inspirations.  Drinking, drug addiction, immature behavior.  If anything, I like the music so much I can rationalize and overlook their personal shortcomings.  

Because its the music that matters to me, first and foremost.  The put out songs I like to listen to.  Songs I like more than any other band who's music I like. 

This is really no trolling..😘❤️

End of story.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »

I don't think this is trolling.  Its a legitimate topic of conversation with fellow fans.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »

Why do you love THAT band? 😉

Because I bought Appetite for Destruction in the Summer of 1987 and have been a fan every since.

"Shut the fuck up."
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »

I am just curious..

What?

Are you asking why we are GNR fans? Not really understanding this at all.

Huh

Yeah he's asking why we are Gn'R fans. It is a legitimate question. It's a great time to reflect.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »

Abrasive?
You get me totally wrong 😘

I was talking to Emily, but my post, even though made sense was removed for whatever reason.

It's like Prison Break... but on a message board.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 03:39:06 PM »

Brilliant vocal melodies mixed with guitars that can be described as both authentic hard rock and an organic entity layered beautifully to form a song.

Guitar solos for the history books.

They do both hard and softer songs just right.

Axl can be a lyricist up there with the very best. His best work is just amazing.

Live energy and presence on the stage. They are very charismatic people.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »

SHE is still a she.
😜😂💃
I fell in  love with GnR 1990.
That was not the question...😉

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 03:40:50 PM »

music, attitude, kilts

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 03:42:28 PM »

Axl the person is a total yo-yo a lot of the time.  But when you see him on stage performing, there's just no one like him.

I think that was really driven home by Slash of all people.  Even think back to when things were as bleak as can be.  Slash is writing books and Axl is calling him cancer.

But whenever Slash was asked about great frontmen, he always had Axl right there.  Because he knew.  He knew despite all Axl's drama and bullshit, once you are onstage, the guy is money.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »

music, attitude, kilts

Hahahaha

Its so funny you say that.  When my buddies were talking to me about getting tickets for the show this summer, 3 of them, unprompted and with no connection to each other, asked me if he was still rocking the kilts.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 03:44:58 PM »

Brilliant vocal melodies mixed with guitars that can be described as both authentic hard rock and an organic entity layered beautifully to form a song.

Guitar solos for the history books.

They do both hard and softer songs just right.

Axl can be a lyricist up there with the very best. His best work is just amazing.

Live energy and presence on the stage. They are very charismatic people.

One of the best lyricists of all time, I would list him in the top 5 .

"Shut the fuck up."
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »

I was about 12 and had listened to all that 80s pop as I was growing up and music was enjoyable for me but I wasn't a fan of anyone really. Michael Jackson was probably my favourite artist at the time. I had a friend who's parents sent him to boarding school but he'd come home at weekends with copied tapes from school. He got me listening to the Sex Pistols and other punk stuff and then one weekend gave me a tape that he thought I might like cos there was lots of swearing in it. Holy shit! It was Appetite for Destruction and every song was amazing. I instantly became a fan and wanted to know everything about them. I scoured magazine shelves in shops to read about them. Live at the Roxy was on one night on TV and I sat up late to watch it. I loved everything about this band and still do. My friend passed away many years ago but I have him to thank for introducing me to Guns N Roses and I'll never forget that moment.

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: