Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227877 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Question about OMG being only a demo
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about OMG being only a demo  (Read 10944 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2005, 05:23:39 PM »

OMG is def an underated song but imo it shouldnt have been used because its not the most radio friendly of songs, and peopel werent ready to hear that kind of sound from gnr at that time. I know it was a good oppurtunity in terms of helping on a soundtrack but Axl should have held out on it....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 12:35:11 PM »

Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'

What I don't understand is if Robin claims that he never played in that song, why does Axl involve him here?

There is no CD single of OMG. The song has never been released in that format. There are promotional 5" CDs though, and they are exactly the same as on the soundtrack.

Yeah, but it's something cool to own...  Grin

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 02:02:43 PM »

OMG is def an underated song but imo it shouldnt have been used because its not the most radio friendly of songs, and peopel werent ready to hear that kind of sound from gnr at that time. I know it was a good oppurtunity in terms of helping on a soundtrack but Axl should have held out on it....

i think at that time a song like omg should had done good.. Industrial was just really popular and bands like korn, limp, kid rock, manson nin etc were showing a twist on rock was in... I mean if that song bawitdabaw could get big then omg could fit in imo.. I just think people viewed gnr in a different way kind of like the tail end of grunge.. if he was into the song he can always include it on something later
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2005, 02:20:34 PM »

I just think people viewed gnr in a different way
Greta point and I agree. Thats what I was trying to say. Although that style of mucis might have been in at that time, peopel werent expecting that from GNr. Especially being that it was still fresh bout Slash not being in the band. I think this time around people will not know what to expect with the band and the music will be able to win or lose ears on its own merit. I also think that being GNBr have been dormant all this time...peopel dont care and people know the situation a little better in terms of musical styles, diff band..etc...

I also dont think an OMG type song will be released as the 1st single.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2005, 02:28:46 PM »

IMO Axl saying OMG was a demo just means is that he did not feel the song was finished. ?If he had the time/opportunity/choice he would have worked on it more.

A demo doesn't have to be a a rough first or second or third or hundredth run-through... ?how many times the song has been run-through or recorded is not what defines whether a recording is a demo... ?a demo can be something thats been worked on extensively with production and other technological methods etc. blah, blah, blah. ? A song can be "finished" after one 'take'! ?Or not finished even afther a hundred takes! ?Cheesy

Until the song is finished, its a demo! Wink ?

Who is the judge of whether a recording is "finished"? ?or "finished enough" for release?

Apparently in the case of OMG time and circumstance dictated that it was "finished" / "finished enough" for release.
Axl 'allowed' it to be released even though he didn't feel it was "fiished" to his full satisfaction... ? that it hadn't reached its full potential or the sound he was really going for.

I love the EOD version AND the live version of OMG..  I'd love to hear the version that Axl is completely satisfied with.   drool

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2005, 02:58:34 PM »

IMO Axl saying OMG was a demo just means is that he did not feel the song was finished.  If he had the time/opportunity/choice he would have worked on it more.

honestly though isn't eevrything done by axl in some way a song that could have been worked on longer?/ he re did many songs that he will one day release on cd, he would have did the illusions different, and so on.. if in some way he was rushed on omg I think it was a good thing.. Only so many changes one can make.. if he wasn't pushed along you may have heard nothing since lies
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2005, 03:02:58 PM »

I just think people viewed gnr in a different way
Greta point and I agree. Thats what I was trying to say. Although that style of mucis might have been in at that time, peopel werent expecting that from GNr. Especially being that it was still fresh bout Slash not being in the band. I think this time around people will not know what to expect with the band and the music will be able to win or lose ears on its own merit. I also think that being GNBr have been dormant all this time...peopel dont care and people know the situation a little better in terms of musical styles, diff band..etc...

I also dont think an OMG type song will be released as the 1st single.

What I was trying to say is this.. I don't know if everyone felt they didn't expect something like this from gnr.. I personally felt that many people viewed gnr as a band that was from the 80's and they weren't over that it's not cool to like gnr anymore type stigma.. in the 90's people still viewed gnr as some hair band from the 80s that grunge killed.. Not how I feel just saying is all.. Today or even in 2002 I feel people look at gnr past band & name) as rock icons.. very trendy with rock memrobilia and t shirt.. the retro feel is in and classic rock has made a comeback.. I just feel the grunge industrial feel towards gnr is over and they view them as a great band regardless of the people in the band.. The name gnr itself stands all alone now.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2005, 03:17:55 PM »

Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'

What I don't understand is if Robin claims that he never played in that song, why does Axl involve him here?

An interesting thing:

Oh My God (Huge/Reed/Rose)
Appears in the End Of Days movie as well as the soundtrack.
Guitar parts by: Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine, Dave Navarro and Robin Finck (according to Axl, he plays on it. According to Robin himself, he doesn't).
Additional programming: Stuart White

And as Mike mentioned, Axl hasn't ever been satisfied with the product he released (I mean months, years later). His favourite thing is to bash UYI cause he (and the band) didn't have enough time to work on it. As I remember the only song he's always satisfied is November Rain, and as he mentioned every CD track will get the same amount of work as NR. Since ha started to write it in the early 80s and released it a decade later, no wonder why we haven't got CD. Chines Democracy starts... in 2157. (BTW NR is the only GN'R song I often find boring.)

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »

As I remember the only song he's always satisfied is November Rain, and as he mentioned every CD track will get the same amount of work as NR.

Where did Axl say that!? Holy crap. Chinese Democracy starts in '08!

Crazyyyyy. lol.

I've always liked NR. Good song

gnrevolution.com
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2005, 06:26:59 PM »

Me too ovbiously must have missed the articles where he said

1) the only song he's always satisfied is November Rain,  Huh
2) every CD track will get the same amount of work as NR. Huh

Where are they?headscratch

I really can't see 1) as true.  Angry
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2005, 06:29:35 PM »

All I can remember is how he said he liked the AFD and only would change a little bit of bass and the drums (the sound of it, I guess) here and there.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2005, 11:03:59 AM »

Me too ovbiously must have missed the articles where he said

1) the only song he's always satisfied is November Rain,? Huh

I don't remember he's ever said that, but I came to this conclusion since he often criticizes his past work, but mentions NR as a standard.

2) every CD track will get the same amount of work as NR. Huh

Where are they?headscratch

I really can't see 1) as true.? Angry

I can't find the article right now, only that one in which he mentioned that 'CD's all songs will be as good as NR'.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2005, 04:16:15 PM »

only quote i can recall would be when he spoke about giving into a lot of pressures on the illusions album release, something which he wasn't going to do with CD.

ah, here it is:

"Regarding the work in progress Axl commented as follows:

?I gave into a lot of pressure on Illusions both internally in Guns and externally in the press, those albums suffered as a consequence, it's not something I'm too excited to have to live with again."

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=82
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2005, 05:14:39 PM »

only quote i can recall would be when he spoke about giving into a lot of pressures on the illusions album release, something which he wasn't going to do with CD.

ah, here it is:

?I gave into a lot of pressure on Illusions both internally in Guns and externally in the press, those albums suffered as a consequence, it's not something I'm too excited to have to live with again."

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=82

he should have been glad otherwise gnr might had been over without ever seeing the illusions albums.. He needs to be pushed or he'll never be satisfied... Why he wasn't happy is beside me.. Albums weren't as good as afd because there was some filler but they were still amazing from riockers to epics... If he felt this way he should have pushed for one amazing album rather then two.. I mean fuck the illusions went platinum in no time, fans lined up at midnight and they both went many times platinum... Axl belonged to a group so his opinion is only 1 piece of the total work.. if it was up to axl nothing would ever get released
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2005, 06:48:10 PM »

if it was were up to axl nothing would ever get released

We'll see about that, won't we? Wink

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2005, 07:11:34 PM »

He needs to be pushed or he'll never be satisfied... Why he wasn't happy is beside me..

Albums weren't as good as afd because there was some filler 
If he felt this way he should have pushed for one amazing album rather then two..

Aren't you contradicting yourself there again?

Anyways, here he doesn't say he was unhappy with all the songs off UYI except NR.

*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2005, 07:21:49 PM »

"Basically, he blamed the delays on everyone who had anything to do with the band, except the band members themselves. He also seemed angry that 'Oh My God' was released by the record company years ago because it was only a "demo tape" and did not represent what the band has been trying to put together. Finally, he mentioned that the old GNR members only appreciated the celebrity aspect of being in the band and couldn't be bothered with the rest of what was involved. This comment was possibly referring to the rumour that Slash, Izzy, and Duff are working on a GNR tribute album, against Axl's wishes."

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/9459/gnr/vegas/day2.html

« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 05:50:37 PM by *Izzy* » Logged

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: