Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:06:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Time for A-Rod to say Bye-Bye to NY?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Time for A-Rod to say Bye-Bye to NY?  (Read 36105 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« on: June 14, 2006, 01:36:49 PM »

It's not working. Period.

No one doubts his talent. He plays hard, he plays hurt. Maybe you have to be a life-long Yankee fan to ever understand this, but A-Rod needs to go.

The fans have not come around to him, this his third year. Something about this guy, just isn't going to fit in here. Jeter's team, the fans will never, NEVER
make A-Rod a Yankee in their hearts . Period. They're all on his shit now, every at-bat and the guy clearly cannot handle it.

Understanding there are only a few teams that could handle or want this guy's salary, but I think it's time. A-Rod does not deserve the reign of boos that are being leveled on his ass every night, and it's only going to get worse. Even if he goes on a ridiculous streak for a week, the first time he gets out again in a big spot, it's going to start again.

Let's hear some trade possibilities. Make it make sense in salary and players, if you can:

My first thought would be this:? ? Andruw Jones.? I think the Braves would go for it too.? Second thought would be to Philly for Burrell and Myers.

What do you got?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 01:38:43 PM by COMAMOTIVE » Logged
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:22:16 PM »

A-rod is staying in new york, for perhaps the rest of the career. Get over it.

You want New York to accept them into their hearts, well he needs to start playing better overall and especially start playing in the playoffs. The Yankees will not send A-rod shipping unless he ended a season with a .230 batting average or something.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 03:20:44 PM »

He's the reigning AL MVP so I think he's managing just fine.  Sure, he's in a slump now, but he's a veteran player, it's not his first slump and it won't be his last.  He'll still have great numbers at year-end and will continue to produce at a high level for the next several years. 

So why exactly should he be traded?
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 03:53:03 PM »

A-rod is staying in new york, for perhaps the rest of the career. Get over it.

You want New York to accept them into their hearts, well he needs to start playing better overall and especially start playing in the playoffs. The Yankees will not send A-rod shipping unless he ended a season with a .230 batting average or something.

I'm over it pal. Trust me. I like the guy. I want nothing more than for him to come up big in the clutch and win the fans over. I'm afraid it's going to take nothing short of a game winning game 7 homer to do it, however. Sad , but true.  You're high if you think the Yankees would not send him packing unless he hits 230, by the way.
He was brought here by Steinbrenner to win the Pennant. He's failed in the post-season for the most part. If the right offer came along, I believe the Yankees would listen.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 03:56:51 PM »

He's the reigning AL MVP so I think he's managing just fine.?

Umm no. He's not. This guy is not right upstairs. Being the reigning MVP does'nt mean jack shit if you don't earn your Pinstripes the right way. He's not managing just fine, because when they boo his ass, it wears on him. You can see it on his face, and you can see it in his approach to hitting now. I'm not talking about this one little slump either. Some dudes are cut out for NY and some are not. I don't care how many MVP's he wins, or how many people regard him as the best player, you need to understand the NY mentality to even say something like the above. Sorry, just my opinion, but I think he's gotta go.

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:58:05 PM »

He's the reigning AL MVP so I think he's managing just fine.?

Umm no. He's not. This guy is not right upstairs. Being the reigning MVP does'nt mean jack shit if you don't earn your Pinstripes the right way. He's not managing just fine, because when they boo his ass, it wears on him. You can see it on his face, and you can see it in his approach to hitting now. I'm not talking about this one little slump either. Some dudes are cut out for NY and some are not. I don't care how many MVP's he wins, or how many people regard him as the best player, you need to understand the NY mentality to even say something like the above. Sorry, just my opinion, but I think he's gotta go.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »

I live in Salt Lake City and I know more about the yankees and George Steinbrenner than you do. That's a fact and that's sad.

A-rod will put out of his slump just like Georgesteel said.

Just because you think A rod might be traded doesn't mean it will. I put the chances of him going at 1 in 0.

Also, when you consider Matsui and Sheffield being gone until September, at least, why would they trade away another offensive player, sorry, but it ain't happening.

Last thing, it is not for you to decide whether someone is RIGHT UPSTAIRS or not. I think you should look in the mirror and ask yourself that question.
G2N2R
Rocker

Just a little? Maybe a LIL more...

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 05:10:50 PM »

Although trading A-Rod would make absolutly no sense, I wouldn't put it past team owner Steinnbrener(sp?). He and most Yankee fans, not all just most, are complete morons.

Oh.. and yes, as you probably assumed, I am a Red Sox fan hihi

I really don't understand why everyone dislikes A-Rod, it's like he does 1 thing wrong and the entire state of New York is on his ass.. now I know he's slumping right now and he comes up short during the playoffs, but there is just no denying that he is a great player.

Anyway.. Yankees suck! Sorry, had to say it ok

I can't live without my train, my laptop, or my incredible urge to dance without my pants!
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 05:29:35 PM »

I live in Salt Lake City and I know more about the yankees and George Steinbrenner than you do. That's a fact and that's sad.

A-rod will put out of his slump just like Georgesteel said.

Just because you think A rod might be traded doesn't mean it will. I put the chances of him going at 1 in 0.

Also, when you consider Matsui and Sheffield being gone until September, at least, why would they trade away another offensive player, sorry, but it ain't happening.

Last thing, it is not for you to decide whether someone is RIGHT UPSTAIRS or not. I think you should look in the mirror and ask yourself that question.

You're an idiot. You are not reading what I originally said. I never suggested he wasn't pulling out of his slump. Actually if you go back and read , I believe I said
he will.

I never said he would be traded. I believe I said, I think they should trade him ( my opinion ) I never said now! Obviously with Matsui & Sheff out, they can't do that. Go back and read you last post tough guy, and check out how many things you just made up that I never said.

No, you don't know more or even close to about the Yanks, but that wasn't the point of the thread - deuschbag

Lastly, when I said he wasn't right upstairs, I wasn't suggesting he runs around in his underwear and barks at the moon. I was talking in a baseball sense. Meaning he's pressing too hard because of the booing and the fan ribbing. If you can't see that , then it is you who should look in the mirror.

Look at the title of posts before you try to start crap with someone else on these boards. The intent was not to fight. You could have easily said, I don't think he should go and explained why.  And by the way, when I say he should go, I say that fully with the thought that if the time comes, it will be A-Rod's decision as well, because he can't get comfortable here.

That's it. Now, if you'd like to end the insults and have a serious baseball discussion, I'd be happy to.  If you are going to resort to " I know more about this...and that....then just save your time and go play with some children your own age -
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 11:12:51 PM »

A-Rod is going nowhere.  No one wants his contract, the Yankees have no one else to play third, and he fits well there.

I still think he's better off as a SS (while Jeter should be moved elsewhere).  And besides, every time he's shipped off somewhere else, the team that dumped him gets better.  I believe the Mariners had there 100+ win season the year after he left (I may be wrong there), the Rangers got better after he was sent to the Yankees.  Last thing we need are the Yankees getting better!  hihi

A-Rod's slump is not the reason the Yankees aren't absolutely dominating.  Steinbrenner just should do like he said when he bought the Yankees and stay out of the baseball operations.  The team was terrible from the early 80's to the early 90's.  When he had his 3-year suspension (I think it was 3), the team dumped all the big-name stiffs and stocked up the minors.  The moment he came back, the prospects were gone, and the team won with homegrown talent.

Now, 5 years after their last WS win, the team is again stocked with big namers who can do nothing once the postseason starts.  The team lacks role-players.  A huge lump of stars, while good on paper, is just that-- a good teal solely on paper.

Cristian Guzman, Jake Westbrook, Mike Lowell, Alfonso Soriano, Damaso Marte, Eric Milton, Nick Johnson, Juan Rivera, David Dellucci, Jose Contreras, Willy Mo Pena, Brandon Claussen, Ted Lilly, Yhency Brazoban,

SCORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEE!!!!!!!
(Sorry, watching hockey game and the Oilers just won)

Anyways, back to the list... all of the previously listed players plus Dioner Navarro and Zach Day were all in the Yankees farm system at one point.  Imagine the team they could have if they kept these guys and let the big name FA's walk on by.  Gotta love Steinbrenner and his "not get[ting] involved in day-to-day baseball operations."
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:15:02 PM by Duffman23235 » Logged

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 01:59:55 AM »

I agree, A-Rod needs to go.  He's not a true Yankee and never will be until he produces in the playoffs and he's shown that he can't.  H eis among several mistakes the Yankees have made recently.  Randy Johnson is horrible, they signed Shef instead of going after Vlad, Jaret Wright, that pussy Pavano and letting Bernie stick around too long.  The proof that A-Rod was a bad trade is the season that Soriano is having, why couldn't he have played third?  They need to trade him for pitching.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 09:20:40 AM »

I agree, A-Rod needs to go.? He's not a true Yankee and never will be until he produces in the playoffs and he's shown that he can't.? H eis among several mistakes the Yankees have made recently.? Randy Johnson is horrible, they signed Shef instead of going after Vlad, Jaret Wright, that pussy Pavano and letting Bernie stick around too long.? The proof that A-Rod was a bad trade is the season that Soriano is having, why couldn't he have played third?? They need to trade him for pitching.

Very well said. All you need to do is look at the teams that won the Series from 96-2000' and you'll see there were a few mercenaries brought in, but they won it without the absolute best players available on the market every year. I mean the Paul O'neill's of the world are hard to find, but those were the types of guys that get it done in the big spots.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 10:08:29 AM »

Although trading A-Rod would make absolutly no sense, I wouldn't put it past team owner Steinnbrener(sp?). He and most Yankee fans, not all just most, are complete morons.

Oh.. and yes, as you probably assumed, I am a Red Sox fan hihi

I really don't understand why everyone dislikes A-Rod, it's like he does 1 thing wrong and the entire state of New York is on his ass.. now I know he's slumping right now and he comes up short during the playoffs, but there is just no denying that he is a great player.

Anyway.. Yankees suck! Sorry, had to say it ok

Jealous, stil, that we got A-rod when your deal fell through?? Stinging because we lured Damon away, huh?? Or does the pain go all the way back to the Boggsie and Clemens days?? Heck, we even got the Babe from your roster!? Man, how I pity Red Sox Nation.? It must get old being second fiddle.....and you can't even use the stupid "curse" excuse anymore cause you finally actually won one.? ? Grin (Note, I'm joking around....)

I, too, don't understand why A-Rod takes any heat.? All he's done, so far, as a Yankee is switch positions and become a solid 3rd basemen, put up stellar numbers (til this most recent slump) and basically play his ass off.? He's hit for average AND Power.? People saying he's "not a clutch hitter" obviously have no clue what they're talking about.? All you have to do is look at all his numbers.? The guy wins games, for gods sake.? Nobody is going to trade A-Rod simply because he's in a little slump...mostly because you know he'll pull out of it, but also because WHERE are you going to find a better guy to play 3rd base??

The fact that Yanks fans give the guy grief isn't much of a surprise. It's what they're best at...deservedly or not.? A-Rod can handle it.? In countless interviews, of late, he's talked about it.? Does it get to him?? Sure, probably.? But he's handling it exactly the way he should, and the way he needs to.? He's happy in NY, and he ain't going anywhere any time soon.

Oh, and btw...it always floors me when Red Sox fans say the Yanks suck.? If they suck, given they've won more world series than the Sox, more division titles than the Sox, and currently are ahead of the Sox at the top of the standings......what does that say about the Sox?? Smiley

PS: How do you make a Red Sox fan cry?

Bill Buckner!

I know, I know...doesn't sting quite as much anymore, but still.....

rofl
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 10:22:58 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 10:15:22 AM »

I agree, A-Rod needs to go.? He's not a true Yankee and never will be until he produces in the playoffs and he's shown that he can't.? H eis among several mistakes the Yankees have made recently.? Randy Johnson is horrible, they signed Shef instead of going after Vlad, Jaret Wright, that pussy Pavano and letting Bernie stick around too long.? The proof that A-Rod was a bad trade is the season that Soriano is having, why couldn't he have played third?? They need to trade him for pitching.

1) How has he proven he can't?? One bad series?  And besides...you have to MAKE the playoffs, first, right?  Jeesh, I wonder who put of the big numbers last year that helped carry the Yanks INTO the playoffs?  Let me check...

2) Randy has pitched a couple of gems, of late.? Lets see what happens next before we declare him "horrible".

3) Shef was doing just fine for the Yanks until he go hurt.

4) I'll agree on Jaret and Pavano.? They're overpriced, injury prone, and not that great when healthy.

5) Bernie took a HUGE pay cut to be a role player on that team.? With Matsui and Shef going down, it's a good thing he did.? His bat has been saving the Yanks asses, of late.

6) Soriano would have played 2nd base.....he did while with the Yanks.? They didn't need him at 3rd, even if they kept him.

They're not gonna trade A-rod.? You don't trade away the best player in the game because he's having a slump....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 10:17:29 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 10:41:40 AM »

They're not gonna trade A-rod.? You don't trade away the best player in the game because he's having a slump....

You're not reading this correctly.   No said they were going to trade him. And no one suggested you trade the best player int he game because he's having a slump.
Read the title of the thread - It's a question?HuhHuhHuhHuh??  It was to get Yankee fan's opinions on whether or not he will ever be accepted or whether he'd be better off in a different city. That's all
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »

You're not reading this correctly.? ?No said they were going to trade him. And no one suggested you trade the best player int he game because he's having a slump.
Read the title of the thread - It's a question?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh It was to get Yankee fan's opinions on whether or not he will ever be accepted or whether he'd be better off in a different city. That's all

No, I read it just fine.

I was replying to this comment from gild1. "They need to trade him for pitching".? That's why you'll see his response quoted in my reply.? Perhaps it's you who need to read more closely?

In any event, the question was "Time for A-Rod to say Bye-Bye to NY?Huh", right?

And how would he go?? He can't leave without being traded.? His contract is too long.

So, my answer to that is exactly the one I gave to gild1.? They're not going to trade him, so he's going no where.?You dont' trade the best player in the game simply because he's having a slump.? He could ask to be traded, I suppose,? and Steinbrenner would laugh at the guy....but I don't think A-Rod would ask.? He's got no reason to.? The only guy who does stuff like that is Manny (being Manny).

Will he be accepted?? I have no idea.? I accept him.? But it doesn't really matter because, as a professional, he'll play hard regardless.

Would he be better off in another city? No, I doubt he would.? He's put up consistant numbers straight through every city he's played in, including NYC so far.  Numbers (well, the ones on the field) have never been the issue with A-rod, no matter what city he's in.  The problem has always been that the team he's with can't afford him...because to pay him a commesurate salary with the rest of MLB, considering his numbers, means he has to be at the very top % of the pay scale.  Only big market teams can afford those dollars (another stumbling block to him leaving NYC).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:33:07 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 11:37:20 AM »

The Yankees NEVER look to dump huge budget players, In Fact the owner pays outrageous sums to players if he thinks a great talent is going to new york mets or boston, he will throw so much money at them and pick them up.  A-rod has power with his HR's, Speed with his steals, Great 3B who can fill in at SS if Jeter was to go down.  Steinbrenner never looks to dump his roster if anything look for the yankees to try and pick up an expensive veteran from a tampa bay, or the royals or another team not in contention. A-Rod will be a yankee as long as he is healthy.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 11:45:26 AM »

And besides, every time he's shipped off somewhere else, the team that dumped him gets better.? I believe the Mariners had there 100+ win season the year after he left (I may be wrong there), the Rangers got better after he was sent to the Yankees.? Last thing we need are the Yankees getting better!? hihi

True, but not an entirely fair portrait. ?You have to look at the big picture economics of the situtation to understand just WHY those teams got better. ?The best player in baseball is still only one bat in your lineup and one guy in on the field. ?When you're paying him, essentially, the salary of 2 to 3 (if not more) good players...sometimes it's best to free up the room to hire those good players over the high priced incredible player...especially when your payroll is not unlimited.

The Rangers were in a similar situation, but they turned an even better deal. ?They not only freed up room on their payroll, they got some good talent sent their way, too, in the form of Soriano. ?I was never quite sure why they traded him away, other than to free up MORE room on the payroll (since he would have gotten a pretty good deal in arbitration), but they seem to have used all of it pretty well.

The Yanks, on the other hand, have proven they really don't NEED more room on their payroll...because it's basically infinite (luxury tax or no luxury tax). ?Trading away A-Rod would be a boneheaded move of the highest order, but I don't think doing so would make them "better", in any way, shape, or form. ?Because their not likely to derive the benefits that other teams have when A-Rod has left. ?

Together again,
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 11:54:09 AM »

You're not reading this correctly.? ?No said they were going to trade him. And no one suggested you trade the best player int he game because he's having a slump.
Read the title of the thread - It's a question?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh It was to get Yankee fan's opinions on whether or not he will ever be accepted or whether he'd be better off in a different city. That's all

No, I read it just fine.

I was replying to this comment from gild1. "They need to trade him for pitching".? That's why you'll see his response quoted in my reply.? Perhaps it's you who need to read more closely?

In any event, the question was "Time for A-Rod to say Bye-Bye to NY?Huh", right?

And how would he go?? He can't leave without being traded.? His contract is too long.

So, my answer to that is exactly the one I gave to gild1.? They're not going to trade him, so he's going no where.?You dont' trade the best player in the game simply because he's having a slump.? He could ask to be traded, I suppose,? and Steinbrenner would laugh at the guy....but I don't think A-Rod would ask.? He's got no reason to.? The only guy who does stuff like that is Manny (being Manny).

Will he be accepted?? I have no idea.? I accept him.? But it doesn't really matter because, as a professional, he'll play hard regardless.

Would he be better off in another city? No, I doubt he would.? He's put up consistant numbers straight through every city he's played in, including NYC so far.? Numbers (well, the ones on the field) have never been the issue with A-rod, no matter what city he's in.? The problem has always been that the team he's with can't afford him...because to pay him a commesurate salary with the rest of MLB, considering his numbers, means he has to be at the very top % of the pay scale.? Only big market teams can afford those dollars (another stumbling block to him leaving NYC).

Ummm...where exactly in that earlier thread that you quoted and responded to did it say that they need to trade him BECAUSE he's in a slump?
That's what I was saying
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 11:56:14 AM »

I agree, A-Rod needs to go.  He's not a true Yankee and never will be until he produces in the playoffs and he's shown that he can't.  H eis among several mistakes the Yankees have made recently.  Randy Johnson is horrible, they signed Shef instead of going after Vlad, Jaret Wright, that pussy Pavano and letting Bernie stick around too long.  The proof that A-Rod was a bad trade is the season that Soriano is having, why couldn't he have played third?  They need to trade him for pitching.

Very well said. All you need to do is look at the teams that won the Series from 96-2000' and you'll see there were a few mercenaries brought in, but they won it without the absolute best players available on the market every year. I mean the Paul O'neill's of the world are hard to find, but those were the types of guys that get it done in the big spots.

Look at the team the Yankees could have right now had they not traded nearly every prospect away for big-name, ego-driven talent:

C Jorge Posada
1B Nick Johnson
2B Robinson Cano
3B Mike Lowell
SS Alfonso Soriano
LF Hideki Matsui
CF Derek Jeter
RF Willy Mo Pena
DH Bernie Williams
SP Rotation: Andy Pettitte, Jose Contreras, Jake Westbrook, Ted Lilly, Brandon Claussen
Bullpen: Eric Milton, Zach Day, Yhency Brazoban, Chien-Ming Wang, Matt Smith, Damaso Marte, Mariano Rivera
Bench: Dioner Navarro, David Dellucci, Cristian Guzman, Andy Phillips

Lineup: Jeter, Cano, Soriano, Matsui, Posada, Pena, Williams, Lowell, Johnson

That team would be absolutely deadly, wouldn't have as many huge egos, and might actually have won a World Series or two since 2000.  The only weak spot is maybe the #5 starter and a couple guys in the bullpen.

Look at the great Yankee teams of the past-- primarily, if not entirely, homegrown talent.  Babe Ruth and Reggie Jackson are the only names that stick out as big winners who weren't homegrown.  One could put Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez in there, but they were both really just let go of by teams who either had no place for them (O'Neill), or gave up on them (Tino).  Every year the Yankees bade a big name free agent signing or big-name trade, no World Series win.

2001: Mike Mussina
2002: Jason Giambi
2003: Hideki Matsui, Aaron Boone, Jeff Weaver
2004: A-Rod Sheffield
2005: Randy Johnson
2006: Johnny Damon (Coco's better!)

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: