Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:07:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL THREAD- DISCUSS THE 2006 SEASON
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL THREAD- DISCUSS THE 2006 SEASON  (Read 33898 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2007, 11:29:17 AM »

That Bears defense is fucking brutal.

So was the Ravens'.  In fact, the Ravens allowed an average of three fewer points and thirty fewer yards than did the Bears.  There's no question that a great defense makes it harder to win, and the Bears have one.  The Pats also had a good defense.  They gave up an average of 0.3 more yards/game than the Bears, and 1.1 fewer points/game.  But the Colts can beat a great defense.  At times, they can make it look silly.   As many scoring drives as the Colts had in the second half (five, for 32 points, I believe), I guarantee some of the Pats defense feels silly. 

For the Bears, it is better for them to play the Colts then the Pats. Pats beat them this year, and Dungy is nowhere near the genius level that Belichick is at.

Um, the Colts beat the Pats...TWICE...and the Pats beat the Bears.

Einstein was a genius.  Belichick is a football coach who hasn't won anything since losing Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel.     

The big question mark is of course Grossman. We know he will make mistakes(he always does), but they have to be limited with how they were against the Saints.  As long as the Bears can run against the Colts and Grossman doesn't turn the ball over, Bears will win by a couple touchdowns.

That's a lot of "ifs."  I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts return to a game plan similar to what they used against KC and Baltimore.  They'll get up front, stuff the run, and force Grossman to beat them.  I agree that limiting the Bears' turnovers is key for them (then again, when is winning the turnover battle NOT key?).   

As I have said before, the key to beating Indy is keeping that offense off the field. Manning gets frustrated while he sits on the sideline for huge chunks of time during the game. The Bears have the running game to do that, and the last thing Manning needs(or wants) is frustration when he goes out on the field with the Bears defense staring him in the face.

The "keep Manning on the sidelines" plan was used all year, to limited success.  It may be the BEST plan, but that doesn't mean it's a great one. 

I'm not saying the Colts will definitely win (as you appear to be saying the Bears will), but I think you're seriously underestimating the Colts' capabilities against a great defense (or overestimating the Bears' capabilities against a prolific offense).   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2007, 07:15:33 PM »

unfortunately the Pats magic is over...i thought they had won for sure @ halftime...ah well always next year...Rodney Harrisons injusry was too big of an obstical to overcome Undecided

SB should be a great game though cant wait beer

When you give up a 21-3 lead, its time to re-examine things. The Pats are not the team of the first half of this decade.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2007, 07:46:26 PM »

unfortunately the Pats magic is over...i thought they had won for sure @ halftime...ah well always next year...Rodney Harrisons injusry was too big of an obstical to overcome Undecided

When you give up a 21-3 lead, its time to re-examine things. The Pats are not the team of the first half of this decade.

their secondary pretty much sucks..and thier o-line isnt good enough...brady gets pressured way too much

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2007, 08:05:23 PM »

Most teams in the NFL would love to be in the position to have to re-evaluate after a 12-4 season and an appearance in the AFC Championship for the 4th time in 6 years.

Yes they blew an 18 point lead, but I think to say that they threw the game away is unfair to what the Colts did last night. Down 21-3 they got the ball with 3 minutes left in the first half and held the ball for the next 12 minutes (with the exception of a Pats kneel down with 4 seconds left in the half). In those twelve minutes not only did they make up 11 points, but they wore down an already delpleted defense (I'm a Pats season ticket holder and they were playing people on defense in the second half that I have never seen wear a uniform before). As soon as they became too tired they started trying to make shortcuts and thats when the penalty parade started (Of course the Roughing the Passer call was total horse shit but that didn't have a huge impact... they were already in Field Goal range so the game was atleast going to be tied with about the same amount of time left).

My only gripe with game that i think played a part in the outcome that could have saved the Pats season was a non call in the endzone against Reche Caldwell. He was clearly interfered with in the endzone which should have put that ball on the one and would have almost surely lead to a TD instead of their last Field Goal and Peyton would have been playing for seven points to tie the game with 2 minutes left and not the opportunity to go up by four.

In the end Peyton shook the monkey off of his back and the better team won. Now I start waiting for the NFL Combine and the Draft...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:20:07 PM by C0ma » Logged
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2007, 10:50:17 PM »

Of course the Roughing the Passer call was total horse shit but that didn't have a huge impact...

As a Colts fan, I agree that it was horseshit, but the increasing protection of quarterbacks over the last decade is the real culprit.  That call was no more horseshit than a lot of roughing calls.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen Freeney rush the passer, be near to tackling him, and had the frantic QB happen to turn his facemask right into Freeney's hand.  So, you go from a great defensive play to a free first down. 

There's a difference between a true "blow" to the head, which is potentially dangerous, and having your hand hit someone's helmet.  I'd argue that the hand is in more danger, most of the time.  It's a judgement call, but one I feel the refs can make, if they're instructed to call it a certain way. 

The NFL needs to rethink some of the QB protections (and some other things, of course).

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2007, 11:35:20 PM »

I think the Bears will crush the Colts.

Crazyman
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2007, 01:37:08 AM »

I think quite the opposite.  Shocked
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2007, 03:55:57 AM »

their secondary pretty much sucks..and thier o-line isnt good enough...brady gets pressured way too much

The Patriots may not be what they use to be but their still a great team. The O-Line played pretty well, they didnt give up a sack against san diego, and held up resonably well against indy's pass rush. They got better as the year went on. The pats o-line is good.

Their secondary is suspect, but they have bright spots there. Asante Samuel is coming on, he had a great year and overall a great game against the colts. Ellis Hobbs sucks, he needs to be replaced. The guy gives up way too many big plays. People forget Randell Gay was out this year due to injury. We also missed Rodney Harrison for the play-offs and bits and peices of the season, that secondary is so much better when he's there.

The Pats are far from over, they will be back in Playoffs next year. Hopefully we can snag a corner to replace Hobbs, and pick up Randy Moss to finally give Tom Brady a great wide reciever. People forget Tom Brady has never had a Marvin Harrison or even Reggie Wayne stlye reciever. Deon Branch is highly over-rated, and dropped way too many balls to be even considered that good. Maroney is going to be a stud at running back and that defense is still good a defense. The colts played better, thats all there is too it.

To those that say the Patriots are done. I say why?? They had a great year. Finished 12-4 in the regular season, beat a good jets teams and beat a GREAT San Diego team and lost a very close game to the colts. They will be returning most of the talent on that team, and have a chance at a couple big players in free-agency. The Patriots are far from done.? smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »

To those that say the Patriots are done. I say why?? They had a great year. Finished 12-4 in the regular season, beat a good jets teams and beat a GREAT San Diego team and lost a very close game to the colts. They will be returning most of the talent on that team, and have a chance at a couple big players in free-agency. The Patriots are far from done.  smoking

I agree with you.  They may not dominate like they did so recently, but no one wants to play them.  As a Colts fan, I was confident about playing Baltimore, but playing the Pats always makes me nervous.  They're a great team, and will win more than they lose for some time to come.  I'm sure they're a playoff team for a few more years to come.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2007, 10:27:51 AM »

I think quite the opposite.  Shocked
hahaha LOL HAHAH!!!

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2007, 11:42:44 PM »

I like Indy, but have been invited to a party where my friend was originally from Chicago. That will be interesting.........

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2007, 05:59:26 AM »

I lost a bet to my brother-in-law who's a colts fan. Die-hard type even had season tickets in mid-80s, early 90's when they were horrible.? hihi I'm a die-hard pats fan. We have always done stupid bets for the last 7 or 8 years. I felt bad for the guy a little when the colts lost last year after the pats were out i thought the colts were shoe-ins for the superbowl. I thought as big a fan as he is at that point he deserved to see his team win a superbowl. Of course I didnt want that to happen this year. Anyway we made a jersey bet and I have to wear a colts jersey, and go over to his house for the superbowl and vocally show my support of the colts.? hihi It sucks, but hey he's had to wear a pats jersery and root for them 3 times so i cant bitch to badly.? rofl I love it though he gave me so much shit from the time I met him in 99 till 01 when we won are first superbowl. It was great for the last 5 years to give him so much shit for the colts always losing to the pats. Now I have to do endure what he did for a little while. Its painfull.? smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: