Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2010 Season
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2010 Season  (Read 137109 times)
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2010, 01:04:35 AM »

I've been saying all along that the Eagles would keep McNabb, and I genuinely believed that, but now I'm not so sure, especially with Andy Reid admitting that he's listening to offers. Every time before Reid has said that McNabb would be the starter this season. When a reporter asked about the team lacking leadership with Westbrook no longer on the team, Reid said, "Well, Donovan's obviously still here." Now something seems to have changed.

It makes me sad. I was an Eagles fan before McNabb was drafted, but I was still a little kid, and I've grown up with McNabb as the QB. I still have several of his jerseys, posters, action figures, etc. He will always be my favorite player. I think he's the most under-appreciated athlete in all of sports. I still think he's a top five QB in this league, yet people act like he isn't even top 10. Eagles fans seem to have forgotten just how bad the Eagles were before McNabb became QB. Somehow, a large majority seem to think McNabb is the reason the Eagles haven't won a superbowl instead of realizing that he's pretty much the only reason the Eagles have been so successful this past decade.

I've known ever since the Eagles drafted Kolb, though, that McNabb wouldn't be able to finish his career as an Eagle. But I don't want that Cowboys game to be the last time I see McNabb in an Eagles uniform. I was hoping the Eagles would make some moves in free agency and try to make one great push toward the Superbowl this upcoming season. I figured that was the only way the Eagles would re-sign McNabb. But the Eagles have already proven that they care more about saving money than winning a championship, so fuck 'em.

But to trade McNabb to the Rams??!?!! C'mon. After all the guy has done for your franchise, you're going to trade him to a shitty ass team like that? That pisses me off. If McNabb's gonna go somewhere else, I want it to be somewhere that he can win a Superbowl. I wish Favre's old overrated ass would retire already, so then McNabb could go to the Vikings. The Vikes could sign Westbrook as a back-up, too, and then both players could stick it to the ungrateful city and organization that shipped them away.

Like I said, though, I was an Eagles fan before I even knew who McNabb was, but, with the lack of respect McNabb has gotten, I think it's almost made me more of a McNabb fan than an Eagles fan. If the Eagles let him go, I want to see McNabb win a Superbowl with another team while the Eagles flounder below .500, just to prove to the naysayers how good the Eagles had it, how they took for granted the most talented quarterback their franchise ever had.

Here Today . . .
sandman
Legend

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2010, 08:29:07 AM »

gilee - me and you will never agree on mcnabb, the eagles, the fans, ect.  hihi i pretty much disagree with every opinion you just stated. but that's ok...the world of sports (and the world itself) would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.

i will say this, although i'm not the biggest mcnabb fan in the world, he has taken extra blame for fat-ass Andy Reid's shortcomings. if it was up to me, reid would have been gone 3-4 years ago, and mcnabb would have had a chance to succeed in an offense that actually matches his skills. but more importantly, work with a coach who is better with game management and playcalling. and work with a coach/GM that would  that have tried to put better talent around him (instead of waiting until recent years to add legit TEs and WRs). and there is no doubt in my mind that the large majority of eagles fans feel the same way (i.e. if given a choice between the 2, they would keep mcnabb).

the reason eagles fans want mcnabb gone is that the Reid-McNabb combo has had ample opportunities to win it all, but they haven't been able to get it done. and based on what we've seen, there's little reason to believe they can win it all. so that combo has to be broken up. unfortunatley, management loves Reid. he makes them alot of money. and McNabb's shelf life is limited.

also, i just want to add that i still do not believe a trade is gonna happen.   

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »

Hmm, every day it seems more and more likely the Eagles are going to have to trade McNabb.  Yes, Donovan's a professional, but when a team starts fielding offers left and right it's not exactly a sign of solidarity between the team and the 11-year veteran quarterback.  How does Donovan go into the year as an Eagle knowing Reid's been considering him possibly gone?

Plus, when you hear the Raiders are in hot pursuit, holy shit!  They are notorious for absolutely stupid deals, so the Eagles may actually get better than fair value for Donovan.

I reeeeally want Westbrook in Minnesota but for some reason, the Vikes so far have not been interested.  I don't get it.  He'd be a great 3rd down back and safe for 8-12 touches/game to spell Peterson.  Give him chump change with incentives up the wazoo for staying healthy.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »

Reid should've been fired after the 2nd NFC title game defeat

Like tony Dungy in TB. Philly needed a new approach with a superbowl caliber team to get them over the hump.

Id trade Donovan and start fresh. Kolb did very well when mcnabb was hurt. philly have a very young team. go the youth route.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »

Reid should've been fired after the 2nd NFC title game defeat

Like tony Dungy in TB. Philly needed a new approach with a superbowl caliber team to get them over the hump.

Id trade Donovan and start fresh. Kolb did very well when mcnabb was hurt. philly have a very young team. go the youth route.

D, it looks exactly like that now.  Latest I heard was that Philly is asking for a pick in the top-42 to be included in any deal for Donovan.  The Raiders just might be crazy enough to offer good value.  A rumor out there had the Raiders sending Asomougha (shutdown corner) for Asante Samuel and McNabb...and I'm sure the Raiders had to throw in their 2nd or 3rd draft pick in there as well.
This year's draft is going to be very interesting...aren't they making it more fan-friendly this year with less time for selections?

Honestly, it's too bad San Fran or AZ aren't getting in on this.  Of all the teams out there imo, those two could really benefit from a McNabb acquisition...plus, Donovan would be on a potential playoff team instead of the Raiders/Bills/Rams nonsense.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2010, 01:48:13 AM »

Yeah, I think SF makes a lot of sense. With the departures of Warner, Boldin and Dansby I think the the Cardinals will struggle this year, and that division is one of the weaker ones anyway. So already SF is probably the best team in the division. Solid defense, very good RB in Gore, a future superstar WR with Crabtree . . . McNabb could do really well there.

Hell, I think even Oakland has a lot of talent, they just have horrible management and terrible QBs. And McNabb has supposedly said that he wouldn't play for them, so, I would assume that would affect them wanting to trade for him. But I could easily see McNabb turning Oakland into to a playoff team.

Philly fans were all over Feely's nuts earlier in the decade when he came in and won a few games after McNabb broke his ankle. Miami traded for him because they thought he was something. How'd that work out? It's a lot different to come in and have success for just a couple games that it is to be a full-time starter. Hell, even fucking Koy Detmer has been able to come in and do well for just one or two games.

The reason the Eagles have still managed to win with backup QBs is because Reid would finally show some balance with the offense, instead of passing 80% of the time. Plus, the Eagles defense used to be a lot better than it is now. Kevin Kolb had a very good game against the Chiefs. The Chiefs!!!! An armless man could have a good game against the Chiefs! Fans act like Kolb beat the Saints, but the Eagles were blown out. And even though Kolb threw for a lot of yards, he had a shitload of turnovers, one of which he threw near his own endzone and the Saints returned all the way back for a TD---- a recurring trend with Kolb, since pretty much the same play happened against the Ravens. Let's just say I'd rather have a QB who throws a few passes in the dirt from time to time than a QB who is throwing to the other team.

I was watching First Take on ESPN2 yesterday morning, and Ryan Clark, the Steelers' safety, played the racial card when dicussing the Eagles wanting to trade McNabb. Now, I hate when people do the whole, "it's 'cause he's black" thing. McNabb kinda said the same thing a few years ago and caught a lot of flak for it. But hell, I actually wonder if a part of that is the problem. You look at someone like Carson Palmer, whom everyone seems to love and think is so great, yet has never won a playoff game (to my knowledge at least, maybe he's won one). There are never rumors about Cincy trading Palmer. Yet McNabb goes to the playoffs something like 8 out of 11 years, and everyone wants to get rid of him. That's never made any sense to me. I doubt it has anything to do with skin color. I just think Philly fans are the most demanding, impatient fans in the league. Even if Peyton Manning played for the Eagles, I think everyone would've been screaming to trade him after all those years of playoff losses. But you never know. It's either one or the other, or a combination of both. It's just hard to imagine any other city treating McNabb the way Philly has. I think most teams would kill to have the level of success the Eagles had during this past decade.

Every time I make a post about McNabb's situation it becomes several paragraphs long. I could keep going now, but I'm going to stop. It's just I get really riled up about this whole thing, and it's been building up for years now. At least we'll find out soon what's going to happen with McNabb. If he isn't traded before or during the draft, it isn't going to happen. But soon enough, be it this year or next, all these McNabb haters are going to get their wish, which is apparently for their team not to make the playoffs anymore, which is what will happen. Reid will be fired, the fans will turn on Kolb after a couple losing seasons, and then the true rebuilding process will begin.

(I read an interesting article yesterday that said the Eagles would be stupid to trade McNabb to the Rams because then that would probably mean Sam Bradford would fall to the Redskins in the draft, so the Eagles would be allowing a division rival to sign a franchise QB. Food for thought, I guess.)

Here Today . . .
sandman
Legend

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2010, 08:19:50 AM »

i love the race card. always makes me laugh. it usually highlights people's lack of brains. since no one seems to understand philly fans, let me put the McNabb situation into context...

Cole Hamels brought the city of Philadelphia it's first championship in 25 years. he put the team on his back and delivered one of the all-time greatest playoff pitching performances and was the clear MVP of the world series.

last season, Hamels struggled a bit. by mid-season he was getting booed at home. then in the playoffs he was a disaster. in less than 1 year after being the city's hero, SOME vocal philly fans turned on him and trashed Hamels as badly as anyone has been trashed in recent memory. and a very large segment of philly fans wanted Hamels gone. calls were coming in non-stop on WIP that the phils should trade Hamels instead of Cliff Lee to get Halladay.

so my point is, this is nothing unique to McNabb. no need for him to cry in his $120M the eagles have given him and feel feel like the victim of a hate crime.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »

I can't wait till McNabb gets traded, so we don't have to hear about it anymore.  Seems like this has been going on for like 5 years.  I hope the Raiders don't get him though.  The Patriots have their first round pick for next year and McNabb is a BIT of an upgrade over their current stock of useless QB's.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2010, 01:28:44 PM »

You know who should trade for McNabb?? The New York Jets!! I was thinking this exact same thing earlier, and then Skip said it on First Take. I mean, I know it isn't going to happen, but why not? It makes a hell of a lot of sense. The Jets have the best defense in the league. They also have one of the best rushing attacks. QB is their biggest weakness. I know they have a lot invested in Sanchez and he's their future. I actually think he played pretty well last year for a rookie. But there's no doubt he's holding this team back right now. He has to play not to lose, instead of playing to win. With McNabb there, though, the Jets would be unstoppable. Isn't the goal every year to win a Superbowl? They would win the Superbowl with McNabb. Sanchez could sit on the bench and learn from one of the best in the game, and then take over the following year when McNabb goes on to play for someone else. Makes perfect sense, imo, especially in an uncapped year.

Those are the kinds of teams that should be looking to trade for McNabb. I mean, it makes no sense for a team like the Rams or Bills to trade for him, because they're missing too many pieces to be a legit Superbowl contender. By the time they had enough pieces in place, McNabb would be too old. Besides, he isn't going to sign an extension with a sucky team. If he gets traded somewhere like that, he'll play one year, then go and play for Minnesota the next. Why give up a high draft pick for one meaningless season?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:52:12 PM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »

Well-written article, mostly down the middle, about McNabb's legacy:

---ABSENCE MAKES THE heart grow fonder in sports, only if what comes next is awful or even mundane. For all the interest and infatuation bestowed upon Eagles backup quarterback Kevin Kolb, we know so little about him.

Particularly, we know so little about the same traits that allowed Donovan McNabb to survive and sometimes thrive in this town for 11 years. How smart is Kolb? How evasive? Dan Marino was slow of foot but was able to step out of trouble and avoid sacks. Is Kolb like that, or is he a target?

Will he rattle easily? Is he as durable? How will he handle criticism? Manage the clock?

Will he be the next Aaron Rodgers or the next Billy Volek - Tennessee's short-term successor to Steve McNair?

So much of McNabb's legacy here will be determined in the months and seasons that follow his departure. Kolb will get a honeymoon, for sure, but it will be short. For all the angst expressed here and in other places, the Eagles did win 11 games last season with McNabb, and he threw for more yards than in all but two of his previous seasons. One was in 2004, when the Eagles reached the Super Bowl. The other was 2008, when they reached their fifth NFC Championship Game with McNabb as their quarterback.

These are numbers, not arguments. My eyes see what most of you see, which is a quarterback who has battled through inaccuracy during his prime now struggling mightily with it as he moves past that prime.

It has been pointed out repeatedly that only once, when Terrell Owens was rented for a year, did McNabb have the kind of receiver to throw to that many modern Super Bowl winning quarterbacks had. Is Eli Manning a Super Bowl MVP without Plaxico Burress? Steve Young or Joe Montana without Jerry Rice? Does Kurt Warner win without Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce or have his career revived without Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin?

If McNabb leaves, he leaves the best group of hands he ever had as a pro. DeSean Jackson is an emerging star. Jeremy Maclin will only get better. Jason Avant has evolved into that dependable possession pro that every championship team seems to have, and Brent Celek may be the second or third best tight end out there right now.

The theory is that Kolb, with a more accurate arm, will embellish all that. But what if he gets confused by defenses thrown at him, or can't handle the quickness of the game? What if, once teams scout him a little, he turns into Jake Delhomme?

Back to durability. Despite a painful sports hernia, ACL tear and broken ankle, McNabb has been a resilient warrior. Only once in his 11 seasons did McNabb fail to start at least nine games. Seven times he started 14 or more games. Four times he started every game.

Remember that game in Week 11 of the 2002 season, when his ankle snapped in three places on the third play of the game, and he finished the day completing 20 of 25 passes for 255 yards and four touchdowns? He rushed himself back for the playoffs that year, then looked awful in a 20-6 victory over Atlanta and that 27-10 home loss to Tampa Bay in the NFC Championship Game.

We can talk again about whether he barfed in the huddle in the waning minutes of the Super Bowl, but it obscures how statistically spectacular he was in that game: Thirty completions and 357 yards are both in the top five of all-time Super Bowl numbers. Three interceptions are right there, too.

He's almost like an elected candidate. If he was your guy, you defend his mistakes, his humanity, his missteps. If you decided in the voting booth, you probably have been on both sides of this at times, probably, like me, blamed at least part of his troubles on a coach and a system that doesn't utilize him properly.

If he was never your guy, or if your opinion turned on one of those mistakes or missteps, you want him so gone that your mind sometimes seems gone. You are consumed with your dislike, or even hate. You've blogged, e-mailed and Twittered so much of your angst, the skin on your fingers is as raw as your emotion.

Will Kolb be better? So far it has been a mix of highlights and horror, much like it was with the man he seems destined to replace. McNabb's touchdown-to-interception ratio is better than any Hall of Fame quarterback, something I believe he took too much pride in, playing too carefully at times. But that doesn't mean I'm too keen on Kolb already throwing two of the longest interception returns in NFL history.

Right now, it is evidence only that he needs to play more. But if we're still talking about goal-line picks this time next year, we're also probably talking about whether jettisoning McNabb was as great of an idea as most of us think it is right now.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20100326_Sam_Donnellon__McNabb_s_legacy_can_t_be_measured_until_Kolb_era_takes_shape.html

Here Today . . .
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »

i love the race card. always makes me laugh. it usually highlights people's lack of brains. since no one seems to understand philly fans, let me put the McNabb situation into context...

Cole Hamels brought the city of Philadelphia it's first championship in 25 years. he put the team on his back and delivered one of the all-time greatest playoff pitching performances and was the clear MVP of the world series.

last season, Hamels struggled a bit. by mid-season he was getting booed at home. then in the playoffs he was a disaster. in less than 1 year after being the city's hero, SOME vocal philly fans turned on him and trashed Hamels as badly as anyone has been trashed in recent memory. and a very large segment of philly fans wanted Hamels gone. calls were coming in non-stop on WIP that the phils should trade Hamels instead of Cliff Lee to get Halladay.

so my point is, this is nothing unique to McNabb. no need for him to cry in his $120M the eagles have given him and feel feel like the victim of a hate crime.

Well, maybe it's because of the way Philadelphia treats its superstars that the city has been so starved of championships. The fans are just too impatient. They keep chasing all their best players away (Charles Barkley, for example). If Elway would've been an Eagle, no way the fans would've stuck with him all those years. The city would've shipped him out long before he got around to winning those two Superbowls.

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2010, 07:05:07 PM »

Gilee, as usual, you are spot-on with the McNabb comments.  I agree that the McNabb thing has very little to do about race, and a LOT to do with his personality, which is not very Philly-esque.   

As for going to the Jets, I have to say no way.  Sanchez is their future.  Their defense is good enough to carry them a-la the Bucs and Ravens early in the naught'ies.  Hell, if Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are getting rings, you know it aint all about the quarterback.   hihi

Sorry Faldor, McNabb's a BIT of an upgrade in Oakland?   hihi  Nice jab.  Wink

I can't wait to see the Eagles in the re-building phase...no playoffs...Howard Eskin (local Philly sports radio host) begging callers to be patient with Kolb...(btw Sandman, are you staying loyal to WIP?  Now with Mike & Mike in the morning, I can't listen to WIP) 
With McNabb gone, the Eagles are in for some lean years.

Great point earlier about no McNabb to the Rams...that would increase the likelihood of the 'skins getting Bradford.

Hey guys, whaddaya think of the rumored offer from Oakland cornerback Namdi Asomugha for McNabb?  Honestly, I think that's something the Eagles should heavily consider with the addition of draft picks of course...Al Davis might be dumb enough to throw in a couple of future #1 draft picks too.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »

Sorry Faldor, McNabb's a BIT of an upgrade in Oakland?   hihi  Nice jab.  Wink
I meant that sarcastically.  Obviously he'd be a HUGE upgrade over Jamarcus and Gradkowski, or whoever else they can drag in from off the streets.  I just saw something on Sportscenter asking if the Vikings might rather have McNabb over Favre.  Didn't watch the segment though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »

Well, maybe it's because of the way Philadelphia treats its superstars that the city has been so starved of championships. The fans are just too impatient. They keep chasing all their best players away (Charles Barkley, for example). If Elway would've been an Eagle, no way the fans would've stuck with him all those years. The city would've shipped him out long before he got around to winning those two Superbowls.

Again, you?re just way out of touch. I think the fans in New York and Boston are just as demanding. And those cities haven?t had major draughts with no titles.

Also, if you think the fans are running mcnabb out of town, you?re wrong. If he gets traded it is because Reid and management have considered his skills, age, and contract situation and made a determination that moving in a different situation makes sense for the organization. I firmly believe that the fans? opinion is not even on their radar.

and Barkley wasn?t run out of town ? he demanded to be traded. He was always a controversial figure and plenty of fans didn?t like him (spitting on a little girl during a game will do that). but he was extremely popular overall with the fans here.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2010, 10:28:58 PM »

agree 100

it isnt race its geography. it isn't like Mcnabb was Philly's first black QB.. Randall Cunningham was embraced if im not mistaken.

Its the same as in Kentucky with my Wildcats... we were labeled racists cause we wanted rid of Tubby Smith.
people would say.. he wins 20 games a year..... well, 20-10 isn't good enough for us UK fans. we want what Calipari is giving us now

u let Cal have a few 20-12 teams and we will be running his ass off also.

it isn't race its fanbase and expectations right or wrong.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »

I don't know what Asomugha's contract situation is, how many years left he has or anything like that, but, imo, the guy's the best (or second best) CB in the league. I know the Raiders are crazy, but it doesn't make sense to me to trade your best defensive player and high draft picks for a QB who is only going to play for your team for one season. But, I mean, they did the same thing with Richard Seymour. (BTW, where did Seymour end up? Did he re-sign with Oakland or somewhere else? I don't remember hearing.) If that trade happens, I figure the Eagles will throw in Sheldon Brown, since he's unhappy with his contract, and he's too good be a backup.

A question for Axl4Prez: Who would you rather QB the Vikings this season: McNabb or Favre? And, how would you feel about Favre if the Eagles trade McNabb to another team and then Favre announces his retirement this summer, leaving the team without a QB?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:56:14 AM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »

[I don't know what Asomugha's contract situation is, how many years left he has or anything like that, but, imo, the guy's the best (or second best) CB in the league. I know the Raiders are crazy, but it doesn't make sense to me to trade your best defensive player and high draft picks for a QB who is only going to play for your team for one season. But, I mean, they did the same thing with Richard Seymour. (BTW, where did Seymour end up? Did he re-sign with Oakland or somewhere else? I don't remember hearing.) If that trade happens, I figure the Eagles will throw in Sheldon Brown, since he's unhappy with his contract, and he's too good be a backup.
Seymour is still with Oakland, but without a long term deal.  He got the "tag".

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20100224raiders_seymour_tagged_too/srvc=home&position=recent

Raiders designated DE Richard Seymour as their "exclusive-rights" franchise player.
The exclusive designation means no other team can negotiate with him. Seymour had just four sacks (two after Week 1) in 2009 and wasn't an impact player for Oakland's putrid run defense, but Al Davis isn't ready to admit his mistake of trading New England a 2011 first-round pick for the 30-year-old last fall. The move, guaranteeing Seymour $12.398M, makes the Raiders' defensive line among the priciest in the league. And it's still one of the worst.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »

I don't know what Asomugha's contract situation is, how many years left he has or anything like that, but, imo, the guy's the best (or second best) CB in the league. I know the Raiders are crazy, but it doesn't make sense to me to trade your best defensive player and high draft picks for a QB who is only going to play for your team for one season. But, I mean, they did the same thing with Richard Seymour. (BTW, where did Seymour end up? Did he re-sign with Oakland or somewhere else? I don't remember hearing.) If that trade happens, I figure the Eagles will throw in Sheldon Brown, since he's unhappy with his contract, and he's too good be a backup.

A question for Axl4Prez: Who would you rather QB the Vikings this season: McNabb or Favre? And, how would you feel about Favre if the Eagles trade McNabb to another team and then Favre announces his retirement this summer, leaving the team without a QB?

1st of all Gilee, I sort of remember hearing Namdi Asomugha's contract was typical Al Davis style...it was through the roof!  I think it was about a month ago when some sportswriters were fantasizing about having Revis and Asomugha in the same secondary!  Like you said, getting the 2nd best cornerback in the NFL for an aging quarterback (albeit a sure-fire future hall-of-famer) would be a good deal for the Eagles in my eyes...but then again, the finances would be key and I too don't know what the $$$'s say.

As for McNabb or Favre...honestly, I'm one of those folks who, once he finds something that works, doesn't want to fuck with it.  Why mess with success?  Yes, waiting for Brett is a unique situation, but as GNR fans, aren't we used to waiting for the best?   Cool 
  In my opinion, Favre and Chilly probably have an unofficial behind the scenes agreement.  I have nothing to back that up...it's wishful thinking.  I just can't imagine Favre retiring on a note like last year's NFC Championship game and on the heels of one of the single greatest quarterback seasons ever.  No qb has ever thrown for as many touchdowns with only 7 interceptions thrown.
Yes, McNabb is ultra-efficient with td-int ratios as well, but like I said, I don't want to mess with success.
  Here's the kicker though...what happens if McNabb goes to a West Coast team, and Favre calls the Vikes in August telling them he's really not coming back?  That's when we need a plan B...and for God's sake it better not be Turdvaris Jackson.  Honestly, I'd call around looking for a trading partner at that point.  Hell, who knows, maybe Warner might be itching to come back for a one year Super Bowl run!  $14 million could buy a lot of bibles.   Grin

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2010, 08:17:49 PM »

Saw this posted over at www.gnrevolution.com and on Adam Schefter's twitter.

Sources: McNabb may be Raider

The Oakland Raiders have emerged as the leading candidate to land quarterback Donovan McNabb in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, league sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The sources say all the ingredients for a trade are in place. Of all the teams the Eagles have spoken with, the Raiders have been the most willing to meet the Eagles' asking price. Last week, The Associated Press reported that the Eagles want a pick in the top 42 of the 2010 draft for McNabb. Oakland has a second-round pick that is the 39th overall selection.

Also, the sources say McNabb's contract, which has one year and $11.2 million left on it, has scared off other teams. But, the sources say, Oakland is not concerned that McNabb is due a $6.2 million roster bonus on May 5 nor that the quarterback is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2010 season.

There also are connections between the Raiders and McNabb. Raiders owner Al Davis and McNabb each went to Syracuse, and Oakland's new offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson, is a distant cousin of McNabb's.

Should Oakland trade for McNabb, it would be the most stark admission by the Raiders that former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell has not been the player the team had hoped. Oakland selected Russell with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft and awarded him a six-year, $68 million contract that included $31.5 million in guaranteed money.

One source familiar with trade discussions said no deal was done with Oakland. But other league sources predicted it soon would be done in a trade that would be the NFL's biggest offseason move.

And although McNabb has informed coach Andy Reid that he wants to stay with the Eagles and, if he has to be traded, would prefer to go to a winning team such as the Minnesota Vikings, the sources say the Eagles will do what they believe is best for team even if it means trading McNabb to the Raiders, a team with a recent history of losing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5038866

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2010, 07:17:54 AM »

McNubb to the Oakland Raiders? I love it!!  rofl

What better place for him to go and disappear into oblivion, I would hope!  ok

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: