Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 11:04:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Dead Daisies - RICHARD FORTUS's "supergroup"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dead Daisies - RICHARD FORTUS's "supergroup"  (Read 31348 times)
yibbida
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: February 26, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »

http://www.thedeaddaisies.com/

Some samples from their upcoming album:

https://soundcloud.com/thedeaddaisies

They are supporting Aerosmith on their Australian Tour

http://www.mcmanusentertainment.com/?module=events&action=showact&id=133

Australian rock band The Dead Daisies will also join Aerosmith on tour in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. The Dead Daisies feature Jon Stevens, Charley Drayton, Richard Fortus, Jim Hilbun and David Lowy. Jon and David first met in 2006 but it wasn?t until 2012 that they started writing songs together. With a mutual love of classic late ?70s and early ?80s rock and soul, The Dead Daisies were born. Jon Stevens is one of Australia?s most popular and respected singers. He has had a remarkable career; from lead singer of rock bands Noiseworks and INXS to successful solo artist. Charley Drayton, an American multi-instrumentalist, musician and producer, has played as a drummer and bass guitarist for many bands including Keith Richards project X-pensive Winos, The Cult and Australian bands The Divinyls and Cold Chisel. Guitarist Richard Fortus is currently touring with legendary band Guns N? Roses, and previously with Thin Lizzy. David Lowy on guitar is best known in Mink, Red Phoenix and The Angels and Jim Hilbun as bassist, saxophone player and melodic vocalist for The Angels and the Divinyls.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »

Damn, I love Richard to bits but I'm worried how all of the members of our beloved GN'R are suddenly appearing to make commitments outside of the camp. Just like DJ with Sixx AM, it seems like the band may have some major downtime sometime soon. It's good for members to have their own projects going on, but when things are at a standstill with GN'R musically (so it seems), you have to wonder when things are going to happen. I remember when everyone was jumping on Robin for touring for a few months with NIN, but how is that different from the current situation with these guys having other bands in which they are recording and touring with?.  Huh
Waldorf
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »

I remember when everyone was jumping on Robin for touring for a few months with NIN, but how is that different from the current situation with these guys having other bands in which they are recording and touring with?.  Huh
well, i would say NIN was a whole different thing than this  Smiley
cineater
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

Robin has left NIN.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »

I remember when everyone was jumping on Robin for touring for a few months with NIN, but how is that different from the current situation with these guys having other bands in which they are recording and touring with?.  Huh

Just to refresh your memory, Richard played with Thin Lizzy before, then stopped when he was needed in GN'R.

These dates are at the end of April into May. Right now, GN'R has a gap in their schedule between early April and end of May.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »

Just to refresh your memory, Richard played with Thin Lizzy before, then stopped when he was needed in GN'R.

These dates are at the end of April into May. Right now, GN'R has a gap in their schedule between early April and end of May.

/jarmo

I can see how this would not affect any GN'R plans clearly, but all of these side projects are disheartning when we can't "see" anything concrete happening with recording and so on, etc. Not saying that nothing is getting discussed or sorted behind the scenes, but when GN'R are your team so to speak, you want everyone to be working together all the time to fullfil their full potential and get things done.

We already heard how nothing got done in Vegas, so I would hope that any spare time would be put to dealing with all that... but I can see how this is not always possible.  Embarrassed

I guess a simple way to see my point is a football analogy... in that when your favourite player from your favourite team starts to be seen with "other" clubs, with rumours going around of them joining them on transfer or even full time. You don't like to think about your favourite striker being associated with "any" outside parties because you want them to win cups and flurish with your lifelong team who you follow like a religion.  Undecided Instead of putting their efforts in another outlet...

I guess it's just a matter of wanting a whole host of things to happen with GN'R right now, which have been talked about etc... then put on hold and so on, and so fourth etc...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:33:29 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:59:57 PM »

The football analogy doesn't make sense.

If Messi goes home to Argentina on his holiday and kicks around a ball with his hometown friends, doesn't mean he's leaving Barcelona.

We are talking about roughly a week worth of dates here. A week!

I'm sure if Richard is needed in the studio, he can finish his work before or after. Without any problems.*

* This is a response to the above poster being worried that this little tour Richard will be doing will affect GN'R's recording schedule, which we know nothing about. So no, I'm not saying GN'R have plans to record in April-May.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nightrained
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »

OIAM

The rest of the band, except Richard have there own solo projects that will make an income on the side whilst they are in GNR, whether its ashba swag or, a solo CD or whatever. Richard tends to fill in between tours, to make his extra buck. I think when you tour for months on end, they are entitled to a break, they are just choosing to work on there time off.

Isn't there a GNR show in early June in NYC anyway? So we know GNR are playing after their side projects.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:02:31 PM »

The football analogy doesn't make sense.

If Messi goes home to Argentina on his holiday and kicks around a ball with his hometown friends, doesn't mean he's leaving Barcelona.

We are talking about roughly a week worth of dates here. A week!

I'm sure if Richard is needed in the studio, he can finish his work before or after. Without any problems.*

* This is a response to the above poster being worried that this little tour Richard will be doing will affect GN'R's recording schedule, which we know nothing about. So no, I'm not saying GN'R have plans to record in April-May.

/jarmo

jarmo, you've got my football analogy all wrong...

I meant it more like how Arsenal supporters must have felt when their hero Cesc Fabregas was being rumoured to be joining Barcelona. And was even made to wear a Barcelona shirt after Spain won the World Cup in 2010, imagine if you was an Arsenal super fan and also a huge fan of Fabregas.  hihi

I'm not saying that any GN'R member are going to leave anytime soon, and for the record Richard is my favourite member of GN'R today. I was just trying to get across that to the hardcore GN'R fan who wants new music, they could easily get concerned when they see members doing "this and that", when we've been told that the band (current) have failed to record together yet.

That's all I was saying folks...  beer
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »

So you'd rather have them sit at home doing nothing that requires them to play their instruments?

/jarmo

Groghan
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »

I don't think he is implying they should sit home and NOT touch their instruments. But rather that they stayed busy by working on GnR material.  Every minute a musican spends working with another band is time that is NOT spent practicing GnR songs. Every song they write for a new band - even if it is just a small riff or idea - is an idea that won't be used for GnR. Imagine if DJ wrote a song for Sixx AM that ended up being a smash number one hit that people say might be the greatest rock song in history.........would that be annoying for GnR fans? To know that the "song" could have been a GnR song, but instead your guitar player wrote it for another band.
Side projects are cool, but it would nice if GnR was the main priority right now considering the position the band is in.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »

That's one way of seeing it.

So, explain to me how it relates to Richard being away on tour for about a week.

Because I don't think he would be at home writing GN'R songs and practicing GN'R songs alone.

I just don't think what he's doing is such a disaster like some of you seem to think.

He's using his time off on playing shows with a band. I think people have the right to decide what they want to do with their own time off.

Side projects are cool, but it would nice if GnR was the main priority right now considering the position the band is in.

And how did you come to the conclusion that GN'R isn't their main priority?

As explained earlier, Richard stopped touring with Thin Lizzy as soon as their dates collided with GN'R's plans.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:14:00 PM by jarmo » Logged

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »

All the guys have their side projects.  I don't know why this is any different.

And do we call this a "supergroup"?  Maybe I'm just not familiar with these artists.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »

Surely it's cool for these guys to do their own thing... I think we just all wish they'd use whatever time off from touring to record together for gnr

I know that's stating the obvious..but it's also the bottom line

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Nightrained
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »

I also don't think recording and contributing to a new album is of any priority at all. There's no real evidence and nothing officially released about an upcoming album.

Guns have sold out (or 90% filled) arenas in Europe & South America in 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012 from one album. Why would they need a new album if they can still headline festivals?

Here in the UK GNR played 4 shows in 2010 and headlined 2 festivals. 18 months later they played the same 4 venues plus 4 more arenas in the UK which were near enough full capacity. Why would GNR need to make a new album? Not many bands could do that in such a small amount of time without an album, yet GNR managed.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:38:58 PM by Nightrained » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »

People seem to think if the band wasn't doing their side projects, they would be working on a new album. 

I think if they were working on a new album, they wouldn't be doing their side projects. Cheesy

slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »

So you'd rather have them sit at home doing nothing that requires them to play their instruments?

/jarmo

Obviously everyone on this forum would rather them to be recording new GNR material than working on other projects, being the forum it is and all...
Nightrained
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »

They don't need to sit and create music, if they wanted an album out, I'm sure they have a wealth of songs already recorded and in there final state that they could release next month if that was there goal. I'm sure most of you already know the titles.

Think about the latest tour, how many cover songs have we had added to the setlist? Neil Young, Seeker, Dead Flowers and old hits like 14 years. If new music was there intention we would have had songs throughout last year within the setlist, however they have gone out of there way to rehearse cover songs. it doesn't look like that new music is the direction the band is heading in.

Is it a bad thing? No, because of my earlier point, they are still selling out arena's and headlining festivals on the old stuff!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:07:37 PM by Nightrained » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »

/jarmo

Obviously everyone on this forum would rather them to be recording new GNR material than working on other projects, being the forum it is and all...

Really?

It almost seems as some people seem to think Richard's decision to tour with this other band has single-handedly made it impossible for GN'R to do anything.  hihi

I'm aware we all would love a new GN'R album, yesterday.

I guess some of you expected GN'R to go from Beirut to a recording studio and only come out of there in time for the show in Oklahoma?

/jarmo

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »

Interesting...

Slash and Jon Stevens Co-Write Dead Daisies Song

MARCH 24, 2013

Jon Stevens has co-written the new song for The Dead Daisies with Slash.

Stevens fronts the Aussie supergroup The Dead Daisies with Charlie Drayton (Divinyls), Richard Fortus (Guns n? Roses), Jim Hilbun (The Angels), Alan Mansfield (Dragon, Robert Palmer) and David Lowy (Red Phoenix, The Angels, Mink).

The Slash/Stevens collaboration is a song called ?LockNLoad?.

The Dead Daisies recorded their debut album at Blind Melon?s Wishbone Studio in North Hollywood.

Slash has taken to Twitter to tell fans about the song he has written with Jon Stevens for The Dead Daisies.

?Heard the mix of ?LockNLoad.? A song Jon Stevens & I wrote. Sounds great. He?s recorded it w/his band DEAD DAISIES. W/my gtrs. iiii]; ),? Slash posted earlier today.

Slash contributed guitar to ?LockNLoad? two weeks ago in Los Angeles.

http://www.noise11.com/news/slash-talks-up-the-dead-daisies-song-he-wrote-with-jon-stevens-20130324

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: