Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 03:58:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Edmonton Concert Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Edmonton Concert Discussion  (Read 23596 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »

I agree with the statement they have to make the songs their own. Simply playing note for note how the person played before you, you're just copying what they did. I'm all for doing your own thing.

Remember when Ron got shit on for his playing in 06? Never hear it anymore....
slashsaxl
VIP

I'll never find anyone to replace you....

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »

on dj's solo for this i love, not sure how close it was or wasnt to the recording, but watching it live gave me goosebumps, the whole performance of it was great, when axl sang the chorus, you can feel it as he put all his effort into it, he was shaking as he shrieked through the mike, i thought he was gonna lose his voice, but that being said, it had just the affect you would want it to have, the performance was amazing on that song,

as i was also really impressed with dj's stage presence, my friends that i was with dont know too much about the new lineup or old lineup except for slash, and they had thought that dj was the lead guitarist after that show, hes the one they noticed most

rock n' roll

To Be A Rock And Not To Roll....
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »

I know. I still say the same.

And what?  What's your point?  That Robin played the solo beautifully on record?  Well, I agree.  But DJ isn't Robin, and therefore is likely to have his own interpretation of how that solo should be played live, just like Robin had his own interpretation of how to play the solos from the old band.

Ali

Thing is, I can't even recognize the solo.  I'm not saying this just to be rude or anything...

I'm all for him putting his own take on songs, but to the point where you can't even tell what song it is anymore?

No bueno.
what he said.

Well, I can recognize the solo, and it's just a fresh take on it.  I'll say it one more time:  DJ is not Robin.  Unless he is instructed to play the solos note for note, then I'm all for him doing something different.  To say otherwise is a bit naive in my opinion since every one of the new GN'R guitarists have put their own spin on the old band's guitar solos.  It's just how it is and it is how it should be.  If you don't allow these guys the freedom to inject their own personalities and creative styles into the songs, they will not enjoy the performances and more than likely not perform with as much energy and/or at the same level of quality.

Ali

He should at least play the first note correctly.

THANK YOU.

Well, I don't recall if the first note was out of tune or not, or if that is what you mean.  If the issue is him playing that note out of tune, well then obviously he should play it tune.  If it is him playing it differently, then again my response is the same:  he isn't Robin.

If you want the band to get involved in the songs and to take some ownership of how they are played live, you HAVE TO allow them freedom to make the songs their own.  That's what happens when the new band plays the old material and it works quite well as they play those songs with tremendous energy.

Ali
So explain me why he plays Slash's material note for note and he doesn't play Robin's material note for note? Well, he obviously tried to play the first TIL solo "corretly" but he didn't do a very good job. Then he changed it. Hard to say, but he tried and couldn't get it right.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »

And what?  What's your point?  That Robin played the solo beautifully on record?  Well, I agree.  But DJ isn't Robin, and therefore is likely to have his own interpretation of how that solo should be played live, just like Robin had his own interpretation of how to play the solos from the old band.

Ali

Thing is, I can't even recognize the solo.  I'm not saying this just to be rude or anything...

I'm all for him putting his own take on songs, but to the point where you can't even tell what song it is anymore?

No bueno.
what he said.

Well, I can recognize the solo, and it's just a fresh take on it.  I'll say it one more time:  DJ is not Robin.  Unless he is instructed to play the solos note for note, then I'm all for him doing something different.  To say otherwise is a bit naive in my opinion since every one of the new GN'R guitarists have put their own spin on the old band's guitar solos.  It's just how it is and it is how it should be.  If you don't allow these guys the freedom to inject their own personalities and creative styles into the songs, they will not enjoy the performances and more than likely not perform with as much energy and/or at the same level of quality.

Ali

THANK YOU.

Well, I don't recall if the first note was out of tune or not, or if that is what you mean.  If the issue is him playing that note out of tune, well then obviously he should play it tune.  If it is him playing it differently, then again my response is the same:  he isn't Robin.

If you want the band to get involved in the songs and to take some ownership of how they are played live, you HAVE TO allow them freedom to make the songs their own.  That's what happens when the new band plays the old material and it works quite well as they play those songs with tremendous energy.

Ali
So explain me why he plays Slash's material note for note and he doesn't play Robin's material note for note? Well, he obviously tried to play the first TIL solo "corretly" but he didn't do a very good job. Then he changed it. Hard to say, but he tried and couldn't get it right.

What other reason can there be besides it is choice?  What other reason does he need other than choice to play a solo differently?

Ali
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »

Ali

No bueno.
what he said.

Ali

THANK YOU.

Ali

What other reason can there be besides it is choice?  What other reason does he need other than choice to play a solo differently?

Ali
Those bends aren't very easy to do I suppose...

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »

So much quotes...

Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:33 PM »

any photos of dizzy in the oiler's jersey around yet?

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »

maynard
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »

i think dj is a great guitarist. he can play slash's solos note for note. robin's style is so different and original (he's my fav guitarist of all time) i guess it makes harder to replicate. slash puts a lot of feeling on his music, but robin is on another level. his bends speak for him. on the old songs dj ashba is doin an excellent job.
TrixAreForKids
Silly Rabbit
Rocker

Tongue like a razor.

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2010, 01:02:13 AM »

Edmonton Setlist: I got this from the soundboard with the engineers annotations. Weird seeing 'Scraped' inbetween CD and Jungle.

That's sweet. Probably the same ones that were hanging off Frank's drum kit during the show.

You didn't happen to see if there was a soundboard recording of this show?  hihi
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2010, 06:45:52 AM »

cheers, i just saw it in the photo thread too  Smiley

from what a few of my edmontonian friends this show was amazing, i'm hoping there will be a boot surface soon  Grin

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2010, 11:03:07 AM »

Oh no! Axl is bullying DJ too! @3:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alwvKGAvq18&feature=related

Tongue
TrixAreForKids
Silly Rabbit
Rocker

Tongue like a razor.

« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2010, 12:51:07 AM »

anyone have some cleaned up audio for this one? vocals were amazing here!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: