Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227897 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)  (Read 247140 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2014, 10:56:34 AM »

And really I don't understand why anybody has to fight so hard to put the new guys over anymore?

GNR has not fought to do that... so why should anybody ?

We are all here because we love Axl as an entertainer... that's the only reason...... so whoever he plays with we will root for in the sense of this is our team

But if you are going to look at it rationally or factually in terms of output...it's just not there since "old guns disintegrated" as Axl would call it

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 11:13:27 AM »

And really I don't understand why anybody has to fight so hard to put the new guys over anymore?

GNR has not fought to do that... so why should anybody ?

We are all here because we love Axl as an entertainer... that's the only reason...... so whoever he plays with we will root for in the sense of this is our team

But if you are going to look at it rationally or factually in terms of output...it's just not there since "old guns disintegrated" as Axl would call it

This.  There is a replaceable widget feel to nuGnR...as long as people can competently play, they can come on stage.  When Bucket, Robin, and Brian left and others filled their spots, it wasn't a big deal because we never really knew them in the first place.  This, IMO, is different then when Matt and Gilby joined (as the core of GnR was still intact). 
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »

It's really very simple...IF GNR had put out anything with the same kind of IMPACT that they did prior to Slash, Izzy and Duff leaving, then it would be a different story.

If Axl would have had the courage to do a full blown Van Hagar type of thing, he'd be in far better shape.

Just about everybody didn't really see the Sammy Hagar years as true blue Van Halen.  But Sammy put his own spin on things, they released a lot of quality material, and people dug it.  No, it wasn't the same as having Diamond Dave there.  But they still gave fans enough to be excited about and show they were still a viable band.

Axl has not done that, or anything close to it.  There was really no way that he was ever going to have it as good as he did with the classic line-up.  But a re-figured GNR could have been a relevant force in the industry, and sadly, its not even close to that now.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »

There is a replaceable widget feel to nuGnR...as long as people can competently play, they can come on stage.  When Bucket, Robin, and Brian left and others filled their spots, it wasn't a big deal because we never really knew them in the first place.  This, IMO, is different then when Matt and Gilby joined (as the core of GnR was still intact). 

Exactly right.

Look no further than the difference in reactions.  When Slash left, people were devastated.  Most gave up on the band.

Did you see that with Bucket?  Nope, just got another guy.  Now it looks like Bumble is gone.  No matter.  Just plug someone else in and we keep it rolling.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2014, 11:30:18 AM »

I really don't know enough about KISS to really answer that other than I know ACE and the drummer left a long time ago etc

It just seems like the amount of albums they have produced doesn't mean more people accept them as KISS...

This.  There is a replaceable widget feel to nuGnR...as long as people can competently play, they can come on stage.  When Bucket, Robin, and Brian left and others filled their spots, it wasn't a big deal because we never really knew them in the first place.  This, IMO, is different then when Matt and Gilby joined (as the core of GnR was still intact). 

The core of GN'R means different things to different people. Look no further than your own post.

The duo that started working together and were later joined by other people. Wouldn't you call that the core?

Now, I know that's something you don't wanna hear. I know I'm being labeled as being in denial and whatnot. You can go on and on about how the core was Axl-Slash-Duff. Doesn't change the fact that it was Axl and Izzy who were the main core of the band and that ended in 1991.

What you're talking about is the popularity contest that happens with all bands. The most recognizable members. Easy to get them confused. Wink

People had no real issues with Izzy leaving since he wasn't exactly the guy who was always in the spotlight. Doesn't mean he was less important....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 11:36:01 AM »

I really don't know enough about KISS to really answer that other than I know ACE and the drummer left a long time ago etc

It just seems like the amount of albums they have produced doesn't mean more people accept them as KISS...

The core of GN'R means different things to different people. Look no further than your own post.

The duo that started working together and were later joined by other people. Wouldn't you call that the core?

Now, I know that's something you don't wanna hear. I know I'm being labeled as being in denial and whatnot. You can go on and on about how the core was Axl-Slash-Duff. Doesn't change the fact that it was Axl and Izzy who were the main core of the band and that ended in 1991.

What you're talking about is the popularity contest that happens with all bands. The most recognizable members. Easy to get them confused. Wink

People had no real issues with Izzy leaving since he wasn't exactly the guy who was always in the spotlight. Doesn't mean he was less important....

/jarmo

No.  I would never downplay Izzy?s importance to the band.  Just that, with the UYI, you still had 3 of 5 original members (a core of original members if you will), and now you have 1.  It?s different.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »

We've had discussion before. I'm pretty sure of it.

After Izzy left, the band who recorded those albums didn't exist. One of the main songwriters was out. But that's "justified" with, the three guys were still there. It's fine, whatever.
When you bring up the fact that Axl, Dizzy, Tommy and Chris were there to record Chinese, and tour, it's just somebody being in denial....

There's so many similarities through the history of the band, yet some things are "ok" and others are "bad". It's ok, everybody has their opinions. But please don't act all "objective"....  Smiley

Regarding the topic of these interviews. You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.
If nobody talks about any future plans, we'd be having a discussion about how nothing has been done or how nothing new exists. Or, that no one is allowed to say anything.
If somebody says something, they're being mean to us!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2014, 12:13:54 PM »

/jarmo

No.  I would never downplay Izzy?s importance to the band.  Just that, with the UYI, you still had 3 of 5 original members (a core of original members if you will), and now you have 1.  It?s different.

Izzy was there for writing and recording Illusions. He just left half way thru the never ending tour and then came back for a little... So when somebody says illusions lineups... I consider Izzy part of that.. He has as much of hand in the songs as the others.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »

When you bring up the fact that Axl, Dizzy, Tommy and Chris were there to record Chinese, and tour, it's just somebody being in denial....

Hmmm...what's missing from this group?  Is there an instrument perhaps not represented here?  An important one, perhaps?

Would you consider those guys the creative core behind CD?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:52:20 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2014, 12:55:09 PM »

Hmmm...what's missing from this group?  Is there an instrument perhaps not represented here?  An important one, perhaps?

Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrer also were on the album as well as on tour.  They were missing.

Ali
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »

Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrer also were on the album as well as on tour.  They were missing.

Ali

I think Jarmo may have meant the members that were there for the entire recording process beginning to end, but if not, then add Ron to the list as well, given that he played on every song of the album.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »

It only took three drummers to get all the parts down lol

it is what it is... lets not fight about it anymore guys !

We all like the songs, the stuff surrounding it ... we never going to agree on it... that's ok.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »

Ali

I think Jarmo may have meant the members that were there for the entire recording process beginning to end, but if not, then add Ron to the list as well, given that he played on every song of the album.

Yes, Ron as well.

Ali
mortismurphy
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »

In defense of Queen, May and Taylor play as Queen, + Paul Rogers, Queen, + Adam Lambert. Even they realise Freddie is irreplaceable. Also, The Stones have had the four same people (Wood is virtually a honourary founding member) for practically their whole career. How can any of these scenarios be compared with Axl and his new Guns N' Roses?
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2014, 02:20:45 PM »

In defense of Queen, May and Taylor play as Queen, + Paul Rogers, Queen, + Adam Lambert. Even they realise Freddie is irreplaceable. Also, The Stones have had the four same people (Wood is virtually a honourary founding member) for practically their whole career. How can any of these scenarios be compared with Axl and his new Guns N' Roses?

They can't and shouldn't be.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »

The whole thing is about the idea that for some it's ok if somebody leaves, is replaced and so on, but if somebody else does it, it's not ok.

Like there some kind of secret rulebook for being in a band.

If Ronnie Wood has been in the band for so long and it practically makes him a honorary member, doesn't the same apply to GN'R where many current members have been in the band longer than some of the old line up members were? And now the "but they didn't produce anything" excuse....

See, that's the thing. Sometimes it's about the time, sometimes then it's about how many albums they sold. Whatever works for you.

That's fine. But these "rules" are pretty flexible to fit your opinion at your own leisure....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:24:07 PM by jarmo » Logged

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »

Lol how is it an excuse that they haven't produced anything?

They haven't ! I mean i don't know how to continue this discussion from this point...

Guns N Roses is the top of the mountain for me..... so another band on that spectrum.... if Plant went around with 3 guys you never heard of and toured all over the world for 14 years with one record and called it Led Zeppelin ... it just wouldn't be...no matter how many shows they played where the audience had a great time

And yes it does matter which individual leaves... this band has had very big personalities leave....

I know we have done this 100 times... but I still just don't understand why we cant still support Axl and also see it for what it is... Axl has got me for life.. he has my dollar for anything he makes available to me. But GNR without Slash Duff and Izzy isn't GNR ... its a different band playing with Axl .. and i like them too... it's just not the same or comparable.

I also realize there are fans of the current band who became fans because this is the first incarnation they were introduced to, and I respect that.

But you are not one of those people.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:48:34 PM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »

I also realize there are fans of the current band who became fans because this is the first incarnation they were introduced to, and I respect that.

Really?  Because I think that group is basically non-existent.

I contend that the overwhelming amount of people in those live crowds are fans of the original band that are making the best of what they can get.

Who really got hooked on GNR because of CD?  No songs were played on the radio.  No videos were produced.  Where were they hearing this?

Now, if you want to tell me younger people only have CD as an album that was released while they were fans, there, I'll agree.  I'm talking people who are like, 20 years old.  But it was the classic GNR material that made them fans before that. 

Unless people want to argue that people (somehow) came across 'Better' and were blown away...and were shocked to learn that this band did some song called 'Welcome To The Jungle' back in 1987.  Who knew?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:42:55 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »

Really?  Because I think that group is basically non-existent.

I contend that the overwhelming amount of people in those live crowds are fans of the original band that are making the best of what they can get.

Who really got hooked on GNR because of CD?  No songs were played on the radio.  No videos were produced.  Where were they hearing this?

Now, if you want to tell me younger people only have CD as an album that was released while they were fans, there, I'll agree.  I'm talking people who are like, 20 years old.  But it was the classic GNR material that made them fans before that. 

Unless people want to argue that people (somehow) came across 'Better' and were blown away...and were shocked to learn that this band did some song called 'Welcome To The Jungle' back in 1987.  Who knew?

Yes I was directly referring to an 18 year old or younger in Europe or SA who didn't know who GNR was before Buckethead ripped in to Shacklers.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »

Lol how is it an excuse that they haven't produced anything?

They haven't ! I mean i don't know how to continue this discussion from this point...

I'll explain this to you. I'll try to be short. Sometimes what people consider a "core" member of a band is somebody who was there when the band started, sometimes it's the main songwriter, sometimes the guy who was there the longest, sometimes the whatever. These reasons, or excuses, can be used in any form that the person wants. Just to fit their own opinion.

We all know none of that matters with GN'R. Simply because people have decided that Axl made everybody leave so nothing else can be respected.
Let's say GN'R releases four new albums with Dj on guitar on all of them. You think all the people who hate him because he's actually in the band while somebody else isn't, will suddenly change their mind because they "produced all those albums"? Hell, some had decided they didn't like Chinese Democracy, without listening to it. And yet these people would change their minds about the band if they just released more albums these people won't listen to anyway....?  Wink

Sorry, couldn't keep it that short after all.  Embarrassed

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: