Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:09:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dizzy Reed at Cornell Interview
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dizzy Reed at Cornell Interview  (Read 205666 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #540 on: January 31, 2006, 03:00:10 PM »

And If my memory serves me right, Axl said he wanted to bring  its original resolution, ie the AFD spirit, back to the band. Needless to say it no way means reproducing AFD.
Warren
« Reply #541 on: January 31, 2006, 03:35:24 PM »

And If my memory serves me right, Axl said he wanted to bring? its original resolution, ie the AFD spirit, back to the band. Needless to say it no way means reproducing AFD.
Really ? I didn't know about that. I thought he wanted to bring some NIN elements into GN'R.

By the way, if this is a band, don't you think it would have been logical to see Axl attending the Korn party with other members of GN'R ? Or is he the only member ?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 03:46:51 PM by Pepe Da Rosa » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #542 on: January 31, 2006, 04:50:56 PM »

And If my memory serves me right, Axl said he wanted to bring  its original resolution, ie the AFD spirit, back to the band. Needless to say it no way means reproducing AFD.
Really ? I didn't know about that. I thought he wanted to bring some NIN elements into GN'R.

Really? So you lazybones haven't even read this one? http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

By the way, if this is a band, don't you think it would have been logical to see Axl attending the Korn party with other members of GN'R ? Or is he the only member ?

He just popped in after 8 with his friends didn't he? It wasn't "supposed" to be anything promotional. Roll Eyes
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #543 on: January 31, 2006, 05:23:50 PM »

Yeah, there a real tight band alright, they haven't been in the same room together in over 3years
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #544 on: January 31, 2006, 07:07:32 PM »

Really? So you lazybones haven't even read this one? http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

Not for nothing but....do you REALLY wanna use an interview from 1999?  I mean..really?

'Cause if you read the entire interview, much of what he says in it has changed.  And, most recently, he said (serious or not, we don't know) the sound is much like "Queen". 

Or, if you mean by the "AFD spirit" the level of collaboration that existed on AFD...well, we know, by Dizzy and other band members responses certainly, that that level of collaboration doesn't exist currently.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #545 on: January 31, 2006, 07:11:07 PM »

Yeah, there a real tight band alright, they haven't been in the same room together in over 3years

Maybe they're so tight that they are able to communicate telepathically.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #546 on: January 31, 2006, 08:20:51 PM »

Maybe they're so tight that they are able to communicate telepathically.

sure they had some fuck-ups on the last tour, but most of the time they were really fucking tight and no way in hell would they go out and tour if they were'nt...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Warren
« Reply #547 on: February 01, 2006, 01:44:03 AM »

Come on !
In 2021, looking back to the past years, we will consider 1998-2006 as the flunkeys' era in GN'R history !
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #548 on: February 01, 2006, 09:13:45 AM »

Since Axl can't write music alone he needed and needs others to write the music for him. Plain and simple. He put his Nu-GN'R to a room and told them to play and write songs. When he checked he told them if he liked or dislked something or thought they would have to work on it since the idea was good but the result wasn't. That's why these guys think it was a collaborate effort. Most of them never ever had a say in the music writing. Now they were involved in the writing. And it's good for them even with  knowing the fact that Axl decides in everything.

And then Uncle Axl began to play puzzle with the pieces and ideas. But there is no picture, that's why he hasn't released the album. Think what you want but releasing no album for 15 years is not something that makes you a 'creative mastermind'.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
madagas
« Reply #549 on: February 01, 2006, 09:39:23 AM »

Mikka, come on, you have no idea why Axl hasn't released a record-it could be a million different reasons-none of them creative issues. There is no reason to speculate because we don't know the answer. Don't always assume the worst...by assuming he can't create anything good anymore, you are assuming the worst case scenario.  Undecided
Warren
« Reply #550 on: February 01, 2006, 10:00:02 AM »

by assuming he can't create anything good anymore, you are assuming the worst case scenario.? Undecided

Mikka is considering the worst case scenario. After 15 years without a new GN'R album, who wouldn't do so ?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 10:25:14 AM by Pepe Da Rosa » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #551 on: February 01, 2006, 11:15:01 AM »

Not for nothing but....do you REALLY wanna use an interview from 1999?  I mean..really?

Yes really. Or do you think the views/ judgment he has formed in 7~12 yrs of his own works would dramatically change afterward? And would he forget what he learned the hard way?

Plus if you read what he said to a RS writer a couple of weeks ago, it appeares that the gist of his ideas about the album hasn't really changed much from 1999.

'Cause if you read the entire interview, much of what he says in it has changed.  And, most recently, he said (serious or not, we don't know) the sound is much like "Queen".

Did he say so? Really? I guess I haven't seen that one. Can you quote his exact words?

Or, if you mean by the "AFD spirit" the level of collaboration that existed on AFD...well, we know, by Dizzy and other band members responses certainly, that that level of collaboration doesn't exist currently.

Yes, I mean the collaborative aspect. I thought it was obvious if you read your own post on the top of this page.
As for the current process, surely it's not like writing music.
I have never said all the members are working together at this stage. Nor do I say no one is collaborating with the captain now unless I hear something corroborative from GNR. Axl seems to know when to say "we" and when to say "I" tho.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #552 on: February 01, 2006, 01:00:28 PM »

Yes really. Or do you think the views/ judgment he has formed in 7~12 yrs of his own works would dramatically change afterward? And would he forget what he learned the hard way?

Plus if you read what he said to a RS writer a couple of weeks ago, it appeares that the gist of his ideas about the album hasn't really changed much from 1999.

See, I disagree.? I think it's pretty vastly different than what he was saying in '99. It's even different that what he was saying in '02.? In addition, there is a good chunk of information that we DO have that is in juxtaposition of what he said in '99.? And, honesly, I would expect it to be...it was almost 7 years ago, after all.? Do you expect him not to learn from his experiences over the past 7 years and incorporate them?? ?It think it's a tough arguement to make, given the evidence, that this is a collaborative effort in the vein of AFD.? An almost impossible one, really.

Did he say so? Really? I guess I haven't seen that one. Can you quote his exact words?

It's in the same RS interview you're talking about.

"The notoriously reclusive rocker is of course referring to Guns n' Roses' decade-in-the-making Chinese Democracy, arguably the most anticipated album in rock & roll history. "It's a very complex record," says Rose, a surprise guest at Korn's tour announcement bash. (Others in the house: Jessica Alba, cast members of The OC, and members of Linkin Park, Good Charlotte and the Used.) "I'm trying to do something different. Some of the arrangements are kind of like Queen. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns n' Roses.'" He then smiles and adds, "But you'll like at least a few songs on there.""

Yes, I mean the collaborative aspect. I thought it was obvious if you read your own post on the top of this page.
As for the current process, surely it's not like writing music.
I have never said all the members are working together at this stage. Nor do I say no one is collaborating with the captain now unless I hear something corroborative from GNR. Axl seems to know when to say "we" and when to say "I" tho.

Actually, the arrangement and mixing of the music is very much similar to the process of writing music.? Some different skills, to be sure, but just an extension of the writing process really.? It's taking the music and giving it a "sound".? It drastically effects? a piece of music...almost as much as the actual playing of the instrumentals, themselves.? So, while the band, IMHO, may have participated in writing the notes down on the page, and, for sure, that's a very important piece of the process...if they're not participating in this step, to the point where they don't even know what the material sounds like, it would be pretty hard for me to label the entire album creation as collaborative.? And it would be neigh on impossilble to draw parallels to AFD, where ALL the members WERE involved in each step in the process.

Making an album is NOT just writing the music.? That's just one piece, albeit an important one.? Again, was the writing process collaborative? It seems so.? Is the album creation process? I think the evidence would point to the fact it is not.? Again, that's not good or bad.? It just is.

Together again,
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #553 on: February 01, 2006, 01:52:44 PM »

Actually, this didn't change much, as you can see in the very same article ppbebe posted:

Rose: It's a lot of different sounds. There's some other really heavy songs, there's a lot of aggressive songs, but they're all in different styles and different sounds. It is truly a melting pot.

I go back to listening to Queen -- you know, we're still hoping to have Brian May come in and do some tracks, and I got a fax today that he's coming in -- Queen had all kinds of different-style songs on their records, and that's something that I like. 'Cause I do listen to a lot of things, and I really don't like being pigeonholed to that degree, and it's something that Guns N' Roses seem to share [with Queen] a bit.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #554 on: February 01, 2006, 02:47:51 PM »

Tanks, voodoo!

See, I disagree.  I think it's pretty vastly different than what he was saying in '99. It's even different that what he was saying in '02.  In addition, there is a good chunk of information that we DO have that is in juxtaposition of what he said in '99.  And, honesly, I would expect it to be...it was almost 7 years ago, after all.  Do you expect him not to learn from his experiences over the past 7 years and incorporate them?   It think it's a tough arguement to make, given the evidence, that this is a collaborative effort in the vein of AFD.  An almost impossible one, really.

Well Learning is gaining new knowledge. it wouldn't cause you to lose other knowledge you already have.
At least in my case it doesn't.

"The notoriously reclusive rocker is of course referring to Guns n' Roses' decade-in-the-making Chinese Democracy, arguably the most anticipated album in rock & roll history. "It's a very complex record," says Rose, a surprise guest at Korn's tour announcement bash. (Others in the house: Jessica Alba, cast members of The OC, and members of Linkin Park, Good Charlotte and the Used.) "I'm trying to do something different. Some of the arrangements are kind of like Queen. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns n' Roses.'" He then smiles and adds, "But you'll like at least a few songs on there.""

In 1999 he described the album as a melting pot. He referred to Queen concerning the diversity.

In 2006 he describes it as very complex and different.
It's SOME OF the arrangements that are said to have resemblance to queen and NOT the whole album. probably we'll see a dramatic/operatic touch of the queen type on some of the songs. I assume the mention was again an example in regard to the variety for which everyone will find "at least a few" their own fav songs there.

(C & p job from voodoo's link. Tongue)

Actually, the arrangement and mixing of the music is very much similar to the process of writing music.  Some different skills, to be sure, but just an extension of the writing process really.  It's taking the music and giving it a "sound".  It drastically effects  a piece of music...almost as much as the actual playing of the instrumentals, themselves.  So, while the band, IMHO, may have participated in writing the notes down on the page, and, for sure, that's a very important piece of the process...if they're not participating in this step, to the point where they don't even know what the material sounds like, it would be pretty hard for me to label the entire album creation as collaborative.  And it would be neigh on impossilble to draw parallels to AFD, where ALL the members WERE involved in each step in the process.

Making an album is NOT just writing the music.  That's just one piece, albeit an important one.  Again, was the writing process collaborative? It seems so.  Is the album creation process? I think the evidence would point to the fact it is not.  Again, that's not good or bad.  It just is.

True that making an album is not just writing music.

Still the song writing process is the most important part. As Dizzy says

Q: Do you think the record will appeal to fans? The sound that is.

Dizzy: "You can't please everybody. The quality of the songs goes a long ways. If you can play the song on the piano or just on a lone guitar and it still sounds great- then the song stands out on its own. All the songs are like that so I think the songs will carry the record. You know what? There are probably already a million people who have their minds made up that there gonna hate the album. You know- fuck those people. They probably will buy it... who knows? And I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised too. Or you know... maybe noone will buy it- you know? You can't predict the future. It's the tunnel theory of ever-changing things- you never know."

I'm yet to be so certain about the album creation process.
I doubt that no one other than Axl has their say at all.
I need evidence.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #555 on: February 01, 2006, 03:06:36 PM »

Well Learning is gaining new knowledge. it wouldn't cause you to lose other knowledge you already have.
At least in my case it doesn't.

Hmmm, really? So, when you learn new things you don't/won't change the way you do things, doing them different than you used to, based on that new knowledge?? You might not "forget" the old way, but you may adopt a "new" way because you like it more, find it more efficient, or have new tools.? I may very well answer a question quite differently than I did 7 years ago....I'm sure the same is true of you.

I doubt that no one other than Axl has their say at all.
I need evidence.

You have it.? Read the other bandmembers comments.? Not knowing what material sounds like seems to be a common response (Tommy, Dizzy, and Richard have all said similar things in the past).? Not knowing a finalized track list does too. You have the evidence, and it's been plainly pointed out to you here, and in other threads on this subject.? Whether you choose to internalize that evidence, or not, is up to you.

And is music writing the most important part of the process? Hmmm....idealistically it is.? But, in truth, the mix and arrangement can actually be as important, or more important (depending on the artist), in how the overall song sounds.? I understand Dizzy's comments, but, realistically, he's not telling the WHOLE truth.?  It's also further evidence that, once the "guitar/piano" phase ended, so did his overall involvement in the creation of the music.  And maybe that's how he (and the rest of the band) wanted it...I don't know.

Listen to "Let it Be" and "Let it be Naked".? Same muscial structure to each of those songs on both albums...COMPLETELY different "sound".? Some of those songs bear little to no resemblance to each other simply because of the production.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #556 on: February 01, 2006, 03:14:55 PM »

Actually, this didn't change much, as you can see in the very same article ppbebe posted:

Rose: It's a lot of different sounds. There's some other really heavy songs, there's a lot of aggressive songs, but they're all in different styles and different sounds. It is truly a melting pot.

I go back to listening to Queen -- you know, we're still hoping to have Brian May come in and do some tracks, and I got a fax today that he's coming in -- Queen had all kinds of different-style songs on their records, and that's something that I like. 'Cause I do listen to a lot of things, and I really don't like being pigeonholed to that degree, and it's something that Guns N' Roses seem to share [with Queen] a bit.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

We all know Queen is one of Axl's influences...he's said as much before.

But trying to make the connection between Axl saying the album would have an eclectic track listing, like Queen was want to do, and saying that the song arrangements are much like Queens, is a tenuous claim, I think.  Other than the fact they both have the word "Queen" in them, the assertions mean pretty different things.

There are so many differences in the '99 article....just look at the number of tracks he lists there (16 to 18), and now in '06 (13).? Look at who he talks about laying down instrumentals (Josh Freeze and Paul Huge are mentioned).? There are a bunch of other changes, both with what he said in '06, AND what he said before the '02 tour.?

I'm just saying...using a 7 year old interview to support your position isn't, maybe, the best piece of evidence to base your case on. Especially when there is more recent, contradictory, information specifically about the thing you're trying to assert.? 7 years is a LONG time.? In 7 years my entire life has changed.? I'd bet the same is true for almost every member of this board....

Together again,
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #557 on: February 01, 2006, 03:16:15 PM »

You have it. ?Read the other bandmembers comments. ?Not knowing what material sounds like seems to be a common response (Tommy, Dizzy, and Richard have all said similar things in the past). ?Not knowing a finalized track list does too. You have the evidence, and it's been plainly pointed out to you here, and in other threads on this subject. ?Whether you choose to internalize that evidence, or not, is up to you.

Thanks Pilferk, you've said me the time of reaffirming the point I also argued with Ppbebe ok

It really doesnt matter if the other bandmembers are watching Axl via camera compose the album from his studio, if there not with him as a whole band assisting in the production process and the composing of the record, than sorry that's not really a band effort..that's called culminating an encyclopedia of song fragments and pieces all my Axl's self. Only after Axl feels completely satisfied by the sweat of his labors will he give the sign for the bandmembers who previously contributed to each song to return to the fold and drop the record as a BAND.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #558 on: February 01, 2006, 03:32:25 PM »

You have it.  Read the other bandmembers comments.  Not knowing what material sounds like seems to be a common response (Tommy, Dizzy, and Richard have all said similar things in the past).  Not knowing a finalized track list does too. You have the evidence, and it's been plainly pointed out to you here, and in other threads on this subject.  Whether you choose to internalize that evidence, or not, is up to you.

Thanks Pilferk, you've said me the time of reaffirming the point I also argued with Ppbebe ok

It really doesnt matter if the other bandmembers are watching Axl via camera compose the album from his studio, if there not with him as a whole band assisting in the production process and the composing of the record, than sorry that's not really a band effort..that's called culminating an encyclopedia of song fragments and pieces all my Axl's self. Only after Axl feels completely satisfied by the sweat of his labors will he give the sign for the bandmembers who previously contributed to each song to return to the fold and drop the record as a BAND.

yeah    .........  the only thing i don`t agree with you is the "no band effort" thing....   they did their work and now axl`s doing his......    i like the way this album is recorded, because i don`t want to listen to village gorilla head, but to chinese democracy and so somebody (axl) has to have a vision....

and we don`t exactely know who`s participating in the mixing part etc.... tommy, dizzel and richard are surely not that`s right..... but that doesn?t mean that axl`s doing his own thing now..... and even if he is i`d still call it a collaborative effort.....everyone is doing what he`s supposed to...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #559 on: February 01, 2006, 03:36:32 PM »

axl was going out with some family friends of his and his assistand for dinner and decided to go to the korn party to have some fun and he had to call the band members to escort??  ridiculous rofl

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: