Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 09:16:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227854 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Bob Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan  (Read 29495 times)
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2007, 12:07:31 AM »

im really looking forward to this. his last 2 albums have been beauts and if its as strong as either of those 2, dylan fans are in for a treat

For those  of us out of the know but are curious, the titles of those 2 albums would be?
Africa
Banned
Rocker

No Woman, No Cry

« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »

"Time out of mind" and "Love and theft".
Both strongly recommended.

gone. IMHO just like everything else he recorded for the band.

buckethead stops now!

rofl
GeraldFord
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2007, 01:10:26 PM »

Is Bob Dylan overrated?

It is a heresy to say that, and one will lose all credibility among most music fans if one holds that opinion.

Personally though, I just don't see what the big deal is. I like his music and think he's a great songwriter, but that said, I've never really been that much into his music. While I like albums like Highway 61 Revisited etc., I could never really embrace a Dylan album and fall in love with it. His music just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »

I don't see what the big deal is either.  Hell, I can't understand anything he says.  Tongue

Why don't you just....
dankrass
Headliner

cold irons bound

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »

I guess that depends.

Saying whether or not you like him or not or think he's a good singer or not has zero to do with if he's overrated or not.

First, you must establish how he is 'rated' before you can say he's over or under rated.

I think the big point people make about Bob Dylan is that he was the voice of his generation, the guy who made it cool to write deep songs instead of just catchy hooks, the guy who influenced just about everyone.

The Beatles were great admirers of Dylan and before Dylan hung out with them in '65 (and smoked them up), they were doing throwaway records. (Yes, the early Beatles work has historical importance, but the songs are less-than-impressive.) Dylan saw their musical and vocal talent and urged Lennon and McCartney to dig deeper with their songwriting.   We all know what happened after that.....

There are almost zero modern artists worth their salt that don't give credit to Dylan when asked about influences in interviews and such.  In fact, almost every artist has covered Bob on record or on the concert stage.

I don't think there is any way you can make a strong case for Dylan being overrated, in that sense, which is why he is so highly regarded.

You could make a case that you don't like his vocal style.
You could make a case that you think he's a jerk for being such a recluse.
You could make a case that you simply don't think he's any good!
Can you make a case that he ISN"T one of the most important figures in modern music and changed the way people think about and create music?  I dare ya!

NOTE: I am a -huge- Bob Dylan fan who has 90-95% of every concert he has ever performed in my archives and who has seen him over 175 times since 1997.   I tried to keep this as unbiased as I could, as I know some people simply don't like the guys tunes -which is fine.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2007, 01:48:01 PM »

You need to look from it from a diferent perspective, from back then amongst the artist that were...I think was an outstanding songwriter peace

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2007, 02:03:37 PM »

Bob Dylan sucks. Is he overrated? Big time. Magazines like Rolling Stone have been swinging from his nutsack for the past 40 years. His son's band The Wallflowers, however, I can kinda dig. Go figure.
GeraldFord
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2007, 02:19:54 PM »

I guess that depends.

Saying whether or not you like him or not or think he's a good singer or not has zero to do with if he's overrated or not.

First, you must establish how he is 'rated' before you can say he's over or under rated.

I think the big point people make about Bob Dylan is that he was the voice of his generation, the guy who made it cool to write deep songs instead of just catchy hooks, the guy who influenced just about everyone.

The Beatles were great admirers of Dylan and before Dylan hung out with them in '65 (and smoked them up), they were doing throwaway records. (Yes, the early Beatles work has historical importance, but the songs are less-than-impressive.) Dylan saw their musical and vocal talent and urged Lennon and McCartney to dig deeper with their songwriting.? ?We all know what happened after that.....

There are almost zero modern artists worth their salt that don't give credit to Dylan when asked about influences in interviews and such.? In fact, almost every artist has covered Bob on record or on the concert stage.

I don't think there is any way you can make a strong case for Dylan being overrated, in that sense, which is why he is so highly regarded.

You could make a case that you don't like his vocal style.
You could make a case that you think he's a jerk for being such a recluse.
You could make a case that you simply don't think he's any good!
Can you make a case that he ISN"T one of the most important figures in modern music and changed the way people think about and create music?? I dare ya!

NOTE: I am a -huge- Bob Dylan fan who has 90-95% of every concert he has ever performed in my archives and who has seen him over 175 times since 1997.? ?I tried to keep this as unbiased as I could, as I know some people simply don't like the guys tunes -which is fine.

I agree with everything you say. I just really "get it" I guess.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2007, 02:33:06 PM »

No way.

Can't believe somebody said he sucked. That's scary.

He's written so many great songs. It's almost like he's super human.

He derserves all the praise he gets.

If you hear a great song, Dylan probably wrote it.
hellfirecan
Headliner

My dog dreaming is running...

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2007, 05:47:42 PM »

Hell of a songwriter

Can't sing for shit

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2007, 10:45:18 PM »

Dylan is an icon of the 1960s. He was the voice of a generation.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2007, 11:27:53 PM »

Hell of a songwriter

Can't sing for shit

Ditto. I prefer the covers of his songs done by other artists. KOHD by Guns, of course and AATW by Jimi Hendrix, for example.

Fuck 'Em All.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2007, 02:21:51 AM »

Bob Dylan is the greatest songwriter to ever grace the face of this earth.  Simple as that.  If you don't like to hear him singing or if you don't like the STYLES of music he plays.....then just read the words.  Your answer lies right there.  His songs (even his most ludacris strewn together 5 minute pieces) tell stories that relate to so many people. 

Sure Dylan like any other artist suffered from a stale period during the late 70's to the mid 80's but he overcame that and to this day tours harder and more numerous than most acts out there.  He's constantly reinventing his own songs even at this stage in his career.  His voice may not be what it once was, but he still manages to bring out the magic somehow.

Highway 61 Revisted, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Desire, New Morning, Planet Waves, Bringing It All Back Home....the list keeps going.  Those albums are mindblowing and there's truly something for everyone in one of his albums. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2007, 07:42:14 PM »

No, i would say definitely not overrated.  He has a way of telling a story in song that is pretty much unparalleled! (IMO)

and as for the wallflowers, i think they are pretty bland and generic.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2007, 09:02:35 PM »

Overrated?  Probably not.

Would I ever listen to him?  Probably not.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2007, 09:44:18 PM »

yes

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2007, 01:55:13 PM »

IYou could make a case that you think he's a jerk for being such a recluse

Heck yeah my buddy bought me a ticket and one for himself for his 2005 Ballpark series tour with Willie Nelson.  $150.  He didnt play his guitar that was tuned up and set next to his microphone at all all night, the set was short, and there was a 1 song encore, for a star with as much material as he had playing ojnly 70-80 minutes made it feel like being cheated out of $150.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2007, 01:39:54 AM »

Of course he is.  He's a great songwriter, no doubt.  But, for example, RS ranks FOUR of his albums in the top 50 of all time.  And that's just silly. 

Coincidentally (and, no, I'm not making this up) their rankings of the 500 greatest songs ever include:

#1: Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone"

and

#2: "Satisfaction"...by The Rolling Stones

Talk about using others' work for self promotion!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2007, 04:51:28 AM »

no. he's a god.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »

You can't deny his impact on music, especially discussing social issues in music.  However, it's not something I want to pop in the stereo too often.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: